Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's just smarter about the presentation. Nudity isn't a reward or a special event in that game, it's just a thing that happens. Feels more natural. I think people appreciate that approach more than what Bioware has done. It's not perfect, sure, but it's a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh sure, tits and rear end I'm not bothered by, just this weird intellectual bent people seem to be putting on every aspect of the Witcher 3 to make out it's totally adult unlike those other games guys!!!

W3 is a fantastic game but seeing this stuff pop up all over the place is getting kind of aggravating. :v:

You are bothered by it though because you can't compare 2 games with nudity in them without resorting to saying retarded things like "Mm, yes, this titty shot is more empowering than this other titty shot I have extensively watched."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You are bothered by it though because you can't compare 2 games with nudity in them without resorting to saying retarded things like "Mm, yes, this titty shot is more empowering than this other titty shot I have extensively watched."

In reference to someone try to put a more "adult" spin on a blatant rear end shot. They're both fan servicey as gently caress but W3 fans keep running in to other threads and declaring how the shots involving sorceress titties are inherently better for whatever reason.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
toys for children are adult now?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Uhhh the first Witcher you got collectible pinup cards for each woman you had sex with in each act, so I don't know how that really works in the 'non-juvenile/non-patronizing' argument. I'd argue it's pretty close to Bioware's artifical romance trees, just dressed up in more grit.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Witcher nudity is just as fanservicey as Bioware nudity, hate to break it to you. These are videogames we're talking about, not a Botticelli painting.

There is nothing inherently empowering or graceful about the human form. Only context can do that, and sex is dumb, funny, and weird no matter how you try to dress it up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HIJK posted:

Witcher nudity is just as fanservicey as Bioware nudity, hate to break it to you. These are videogames we're talking about, not a Botticelli painting.

There is nothing inherently empowering or graceful about the human form. Only context can do that, and sex is dumb, funny, and weird no matter how you try to dress it up.

What's life as a monk like?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jimbot posted:

What's life as a monk like?

Pretty great, I get all the cocaine and hookers I want and it's all with the Pope's money. :gizz:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

alex314 posted:

On PC you can always play with polish (or other) voices and english subtitles.

According to vgcharts DA:I sold 3.43 milion copies, I hope that doesn't include Origin sales, because overall it's a pretty good game. I hope the only lesson other game devs get from TW3 success is not "there's really no good choices, everyone's a shithead or dead", because it's really fun in one well written game but loving annoying in all RPG with varying levels of storyline quality. In a while the most original game will be one with a story about a group of heroes without dark past that go to some place and kill a baddie, helping good people along the way.

Please don't use vgcharts, I'm pretty sure they just flat out make up their information.

JawKnee posted:

toys for children are adult now?

It was in quotes for a reason.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 14, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

mycot posted:

Please don't use vgcharts, I'm pretty sure they just flat out make up their information.

I don't know any alternatives. Other sources are usually limited to one country, or platform, or store chain..

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I bought Jaws of Hakkon back when it released but I just now got to play it (started over because it had been a while since I played). I just started it and its pretty hard, I went into it level 22 and the fade rifts are still pretty easy but I just ran into a band of Avvar and used all of my potions and took about 10 minutes to beat 5 of them.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I could not find a Dragon Age megathread.

I just bought the disc for Awakening, but I downloaded Dragon Age Origins directly (this is on PS3)

How do I play Awakening?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I could not find a Dragon Age megathread.

I just bought the disc for Awakening, but I downloaded Dragon Age Origins directly (this is on PS3)

How do I play Awakening?
Put the Awakening disc in the machine, open DAO. If you choose new game it should give you the option of starting either DAO or Awakening.

e: works the same if you buy DLC like Witch Hunt.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Put the Awakening disc in the machine, open DAO. If you choose new game it should give you the option of starting either DAO or Awakening.

e: works the same if you buy DLC like Witch Hunt.

When I click new game, it starts up the prologue video for origins, then the character creation segment for Origins?

EDIT: I cannot connect to the DA servers which might have some effect?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 19, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So for the first time I might have a Blackwall problem? Spoilers for his personal quest I just got back from the Winter Palace, having done Adamant beforehand, and he's still here? He won't take me for a drink like he usually does and then disappear? I'm not romancing him or anything. Can I kickstart his quest somehow? I've zoned out and in again to be sure and yeah. I'm sure he should be thinking about leaving at this point, right?

e: on console

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 19, 2015

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

eating only apples posted:

So for the first time I might have a Blackwall problem? Spoilers for his personal quest I just got back from the Winter Palace, having done Adamant beforehand, and he's still here? He won't take me for a drink like he usually does and then disappear? I'm not romancing him or anything. Can I kickstart his quest somehow? I've zoned out and in again to be sure and yeah. I'm sure he should be thinking about leaving at this point, right?

That quest has bugged out on the two playthroughs after my first. He just keeps hanging around and I have decent approval with my warrior even if it was a problem with approval on my rogue. He didn't leave until the 3rd act in my first playthrough, where his quest worked. That's after you go to the fade. I don't think you can get to that quest until after you do the winter palace, either. So you might just not be far enough along.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bored posted:

That quest has bugged out on the two playthroughs after my first. He just keeps hanging around and I have decent approval with my warrior even if it was a problem with approval on my rogue. He didn't leave until the 3rd act in my first playthrough, where his quest worked. That's after you go to the fade. I don't think you can get to that quest until after you do the winter palace, either. So you might just not be far enough along.

As I said I just got back from the winter palace and did Adamant/the fade beforehand. My next main quest is What Pride Had Wrought, the temple of Mythal stuff. Me and Blackwall are pretty good pals I think, I exiled the Wardens but kept him around, and got Celene killed which he didn't like much, but apart from that we're on decent terms.

Blackwall's page on the DA wiki now says his first name is Gordon which I think is great. Warden Gordon. Is that name said in the game?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

eating only apples posted:

As I said I just got back from the winter palace and did Adamant/the fade beforehand. My next main quest is What Pride Had Wrought, the temple of Mythal stuff. Me and Blackwall are pretty good pals I think, I exiled the Wardens but kept him around, and got Celene killed which he didn't like much, but apart from that we're on decent terms.

Blackwall's page on the DA wiki now says his first name is Gordon which I think is great. Warden Gordon. Is that name said in the game?

I'm pretty sure it isn't, and is only mentioned in the World of Thedas lore books. For some reason the DA wiki people have a policy of naming every article about a character by that character's full name any time that name is known, even if their full name is literally never used in any game, and even if that creates a bizzare mishmash of some characters having full names and some only one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
When Inquisition came out I thought people were being unfair about the way the quests worked. The areas were huge and it would have taken such a long time to make every single quest really detailed.

Then the Witcher 3 came out and now Inquisition just looks incredibly loving lazy. I'll admit that I've read the (non-Polish) Witcher books and enjoyed the games since the start but seriously I just cannot believe what they've managed to do and how bad Inquisition looks in comparison.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I feel the same way. At the time of Inquisition's release I wasn't too bothered by the lack of good side quests and was willing to give bioware the benefit of the doubt. But in reflection the game does now seem lacking if not lazy it its approach.

The other thing that the Witcher 3 made apparent was Inquisition's lack of a proper major urban environment. Being able to explore a greater portion of Val Royeaux and perhaps have it act as a kind of hub alongside skyhold would have helped break up the monotony of big empty levels.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
In the witcher, I have to play some polish dude's mary sue, whereas in DA I get to play a mary sue of my own creation. This makes DA the vastly superior game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mymla posted:

In the witcher, I have to play some polish dude's mary sue, whereas in DA I get to play a mary sue of my own creation. This makes DA the vastly superior game.

Geralt isn't a Mary Sue. Mary Sues are perfect in every way and do things that nobody else can do.
Geralt is just another Witcher.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mary sues are wish fulfillment characters that get to do awesome cool poo poo like having sweet magic powers that make them super cool and dark and mysterious and make all the girls want them because they're sterile and immune to disease and they're also in this awesome order of monster hunters who do all this cool poo poo and they have cat eyes and they're so cool no really you guys.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ciri is more of a mary sue than geralt is.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
People call anything a "Mary Sue", it's practically a synonym for "hero" or "superhero" at this point. See also: Deus Ex Machina.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Like is a zero-sum game. It is well-known that the second you like something new, you must immediately hate everything about some other thing you previously liked. In addition, I am 11 years old and Independence Day is my favorite movie, having seen it about two hours ago.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Like is a zero-sum game. It is well-known that the second you like something new, you must immediately hate everything about some other thing you previously liked. In addition, I am 11 years old and Independence Day is my favorite movie, having seen it about two hours ago.

Nobody is saying that. What I'm saying is that Inquisition seemed fine until the Witcher came along and showed it up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Witcher is good and fun, but DA has the superior fast travel system. Open map, go to fast travel place anywhere. I don't need to go to a goddamn signpost in DA before I can go anywhere else :argh:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Taear posted:

Nobody is saying that. What I'm saying is that Inquisition seemed fine until the Witcher came along and showed it up.

I jumped into DAI without having played 1 or 2. Those of you singing the praises of Witcher are making me want to try it out before I start school in the fall - is it another game you can jump into without having played the first two?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dienes posted:

I jumped into DAI without having played 1 or 2. Those of you singing the praises of Witcher are making me want to try it out before I start school in the fall - is it another game you can jump into without having played the first two?

Sort of yeah. The Witcher 1 doesn't really matter in the long run, it introduces the world and has a nice but rather self-contained story that isn't referenced much in The Witcher 2 and especially in The Witcher 3 where there's a small handful of references. The Witcher 2 is probably more important to The Witcher 3's story, but kind of like the Dragon Age Keep, you can pick and choose which events happened in The Witcher 2 if you don't import a Witcher 2 save game. It might still be worth reading some plot synopses of the first two games anyway, just to get a rough idea of what happened but I wouldn't say it's essential.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's not exactly like the keep though, it's a ingame dialogue tree rather than a website. It might be worth while playing Witcher 2 just to get a taste of the combat and story though. It's on sale for a couple bucks right now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah it's dictated ingame what your choices were as opposed to an external system like the Keep. Witcher 2 is worth playing anyway, the gameplay is a bit janky compared to other RPGs which can get annoying but thankfully Witcher 3 fixes that, but the story is pretty good and there are two different story paths which completely alter the last half of the game which at the time, blew everyone's minds.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's about four choices that carry over between W2 and W3, even less that carry across the entire series. :v:

Each story is much more self-contained than you'd think. W3 seems to assume you know a lot about several characters from the books already though which is a bit jarring when Geralt mopes about how much he loves certain people.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mymla posted:

Mary sues are wish fulfillment characters that get to do awesome cool poo poo like having sweet magic powers that make them super cool and dark and mysterious and make all the girls want them because they're sterile and immune to disease and they're also in this awesome order of monster hunters who do all this cool poo poo and they have cat eyes and they're so cool no really you guys.

Wait until we all find out that Geralt's not immune to STIs, he's just an asymptomatic carrier due to his mutations.

As for DA vs Witcher, I like DA better since it's not so goddamned depressing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
DA has better characters. Witcher has better scenario writing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dienes posted:

Buy the book "The Last Wish" and read that. It gives you almost all you need to understand the Witcher 3. Witcher 2 is worth playing anyway though because it's the only RPG I've ever played that has two distinct paths in it that are totally different. Also I'd argue the characters in the witcher have more depth because they're from the novels so there's more to draw on.

In Dragon Age news did we see this? Qunari and what SOUNDS like a story DLC.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Taear posted:

In Dragon Age news did we see this? Qunari and what SOUNDS like a story DLC.

Interesting. By "the one who started it all", I assume they mean Solas?

Guess I'll see when it comes out on PS4 sometime next year :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

So it's like Witch Hunt? :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Crow Jane posted:

It could just as easily be somebody new or a load of marketing hot air. It's hard to say at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Geostomp posted:

It could just as easily be somebody new or a load of marketing hot air. It's hard to say at this point.

Solas gave Corypheus the orb. He's literally responsible for everything. It's him.

• Locked thread