Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the topic of how bad the customer service/RMA procedure is on the OPO, guess who just bought a OPO!

For those that have it, is it preferable to leave it running CM11s or to upgrade to CM12? I see a lot of posts elsewhere about people downgrading from 12 to 11, and giant flashing red warning signs against even thinking about loving with OxygenOS, so should I just stick with what I have? Battery life would be my biggest consideration.

Isn't the OPO2 being announced in like a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Are notifications a one-way street? If you get a notification from an app, is there any way for that notification to be retracted if you take care of whatever the notification is for?

This has bugged me for years as is relates to email apps. I configure my email clients to send a notification when I receive a new email. If I go and read that email through the app (or from my computer etc...) I'd like the notification to be automatically cleared from my phone. As it is right now, notification stick around permanently until I manually clear them. It's annoying when I'm sitting at my work computer for a couple hours and receive a bunch of emails. I read/respond/delete/etc... all of them during that time. Then I check my phone and I have 20 notifications for new emails. I don't even know if it's possible to automatically remove these notifications when appropriate, let along if that's something that would need to be built into the app itself or if it's something native to Android/touchwiz.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr Executive posted:

Are notifications a one-way street? If you get a notification from an app, is there any way for that notification to be retracted if you take care of whatever the notification is for?

This has bugged me for years as is relates to email apps. I configure my email clients to send a notification when I receive a new email. If I go and read that email through the app (or from my computer etc...) I'd like the notification to be automatically cleared from my phone. As it is right now, notification stick around permanently until I manually clear them. It's annoying when I'm sitting at my work computer for a couple hours and receive a bunch of emails. I read/respond/delete/etc... all of them during that time. Then I check my phone and I have 20 notifications for new emails. I don't even know if it's possible to automatically remove these notifications when appropriate, let along if that's something that would need to be built into the app itself or if it's something native to Android/touchwiz.

The app can remove them and lots of apps do, but not all of them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's probably a battery efficiency thing as to why some apps don't, or they just don't care to implement it at all. Google Apps and Exchange accounts can have changes pushed to them, which means they don't need to do a full poll of the mailbox state to find out what messages became read elsewhere and clear the appropriate notifications.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm currently using TypeMail with an exchange account pushing updates. I can't figure out a way to configure it to retract notifications. I used to use the native Samsung email app and I never found this sort of configuration either. I switched from the native app to TypeMail because apparently there is some buggy code in this version of Lollipop that causes exchange services to go nuts and burn through the battery. I just got a new s6, so I've been paying attention to the battery. Yesterday my screen was on for nearly 3 hours and only said it used like 10% of the battery. The exchange services had used 20+% and had a connection time of 6+ hours.

Edit: If there's no way to configure TypeMail or the Samsung email app to do this, does anyone have any suggestion for a good email (that can connect to exchange accounts) app that does?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

CM12 isn't stable/good yet, like 8 months after Lollipop was released, and 12 since the L preview? Why bother with CM if you aren't using it to stay updated?

I'm only going by the fact that people on XDA and the OPO forums seem to want to downgrade to 11 from 12 on the OPO specifically. Ideally I would like to move to 12 and the nightly builds but not at the expense of the battery life on the phone, which is what some people have been reporting as one of the major issues with the OPO's implementation of CM12.

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't the OPO2 being announced in like a week?

It is, and there was a price cut on the OPO as a result of that. My Galaxy S3 has decided to stop charging without fiddling a lot with the port, so I pulled the trigger.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I use Pushbullet to manage notifications from my PC and it helps with this a lot. https://www.pushbullet.com/

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Rusty! posted:

Apparently a newer, less burny version of it
Turns out it's the same revision Sony's using in the toasty Xperia Z4 :haw:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So if I buy a full-price S6 Active, can I use it on an ATT-based MVNO or am I forced to use direct ATT service?

Any tricks to get them working on T-Mob?

EDIT: And how does the ATT exclusivity work? Will you be able to unlock them in the future or are these phones effectively non-unlockable permanently?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 18, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would like to see a tech site do a deep dive of the 810 v2.1 to see if the latest hardware revision did actually address any of the heat concerns.

810 kinda needs to be viable for Qualcomm since without it they've only had one major SoC release this year. Also, if Qualcomm is out of the game for high end SOCs, that leaves us with Nvidia, Intel, or Samsung. We all know the woes of owning a Nvidia device, Intel hasn't been focusing on graphics performance, and Samsung is going to keep their SoCs to themselves.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revmoo posted:

So if I buy a full-price S6 Active, can I use it on an ATT-based MVNO or am I forced to use direct ATT service?

Any tricks to get them working on T-Mob?

EDIT: And how does the ATT exclusivity work? Will you be able to unlock them in the future or are these phones effectively unlockable permanently?

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hmm, so according to that, if I'm reading it right, you could do a non-contract post-paid account for two months and then close the account and promptly unlock the phone.

That sounds like not a terrible deal, though I'm worried about having a $700 paperweight if ATT decides randomly to deny the unlock. (I have a four-year old phone they just denied an unlock for "because it's not an AT&T device" even though it came from an ATT store and has an ATT logo on it)

What about the ATT MVNO thing?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The rumors I had read had those reversed although if I were a betting man I'd wager the LG will use whatever's in the G4 which is the 808. I don't really have a size preference, the N6 is big but every time I've gotten a larger device I've had no complaints. The 810 though is just bad, there's more than enough evidence to support that and I'd avoid anything with it out of hand.

Obviously it's all rumours but AP ran this (and gave it a 7/10 :laffo: rating):

quote:

The LG Bullhead (remember, sea creature code names) will have a 5.2-inch screen and a battery in the neighborhood of 2700mAh. The capacity is not completely decided, but neither is the ARM chip. LG is currently planning on a Snapdragon 808 in this device. That's the same hexa-core chip used in the LG G4. Bullhead would basically be the 2015 Nexus 5 everyone has been begging for.

The Huawei Angler will apparently be a somewhat more hefty device with a 5.7-inch screen. For better or worse, the information we have says Huawei plans to use a Snapdragon 810 in this Nexus. Again, that might change before release, or maybe it'll be fine with the additional time to tweak performance. The battery capacity in Angler is said to be 3500mAh.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-name-bullhead/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's too bad the 820 won't be out in time.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Curiosity question, what is the amp level on the charger base that co!es with a Nexus 7. I'm just curious because I lost mine at the train station, so I had to buy a new one and I figured 2.5amps was decent enough. But now my tablet actually still loses battery power when plugged in if I'm using it(even when just browsing on mozilla)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure the OEM Nexus 7 charger is less than 1.5 AMPs. I want to say it was 1.2 but I can't remember.

If 2.5 amp is losing charge, then the device isn't handshaking properly with the charger and is likely only pulling USB computer spec power from it (500ma).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My girlfriend is up for an upgrade next month on Verizon. She is switching to Android from an iPhone. I have a Droid Turbo, which I really like, but she isn't super excited about the size. Is there anything smaller than the Turbo on Verizon that is a quality phone? I'd be happy if it's already running Lollipop too and might get M but that's less of a consideration. Also I'd rather avoid Samsung.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Turbo is as small as they come for a decent phone on Verizon unless you want go get a 2013 Moto X cheaply somewhere, but that wouldn't be on contract anymore. 2014 Moto X would be the same exterior dimensions as the Turbo, just a bit thinner and lighter due to smaller battery.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure the OEM Nexus 7 charger is less than 1.5 AMPs. I want to say it was 1.2 but I can't remember.

If 2.5 amp is losing charge, then the device isn't handshaking properly with the charger and is likely only pulling USB computer spec power from it (500ma).

Well gently caress me

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1.2a sounds correct for the N7 charger (both versions shipped with identical chargers, in the UK at least). I can confirm that when I get home. It's definitely <2a.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revmoo posted:

Hmm, so according to that, if I'm reading it right, you could do a non-contract post-paid account for two months and then close the account and promptly unlock the phone.

That sounds like not a terrible deal, though I'm worried about having a $700 paperweight if ATT decides randomly to deny the unlock. (I have a four-year old phone they just denied an unlock for "because it's not an AT&T device" even though it came from an ATT store and has an ATT logo on it)

Not sure really. You might ask in the AT&T thread; they might be able to point you in a better direction especially with regard to denying the unlock on your old phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

revmoo posted:

Lots of people are able to use the unlock portal right away. There is a citibank credit card deal right now. Its spend $2000 in 3 months get up to $650 credit towards an ATT phone. Only have to keep service for 15 days

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nice. I haven't churned any cards in a while, I'll jump on that. Thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

revmoo posted:

Here is the info

http://slickdeals.net/f/7817363-citi-s-new-at-t-to-co-brand-new-card-upto-650-credit

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I was looking into it and it won't work for me. I have an existing ATT account (family plan) that I'm under right now and I'm trying to cancel it.

The only way I see it working is if I can port my ATT number from the family plan to a new ATT account, which I don't see working. I guess I could port to t-mob prepaid and then back to ATT but that's not worth six hundred dollars of hassle for me at the moment.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mr Executive posted:

Edit: If there's no way to configure TypeMail or the Samsung email app to do this, does anyone have any suggestion for a good email (that can connect to exchange accounts) app that does?

Nine will do that fine (not something you need to configure, it just happens). Also works with Exchange through the Gmail app.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

revmoo posted:

I looked into this not too long ago for my brother and AT&T locked phones will work on AT&T MVNOs like Cricket.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nice, thanks

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

datajosh posted:

I looked into this not too long ago for my brother and AT&T locked phones will work on AT&T MVNOs like Cricket.

So you pay the etf to cancel at the end of your billing cycle and get them to unlock it as soon as you pay if you want to take it with?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

2013 Moto X is never getting Lollipop, is it?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Soon© :smug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Move to Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, India, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore or United Arab Emirates.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Doctor Butts posted:

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ci1UAEv2oYB

Still no Droid Turbo soak test love though.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

hilarious that the 2013 X is getting 5.1 before the Turbo

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

this_is_hard posted:

I dunno. I feel like the Droid Turbo must not sell nearly as well as the Moto X 1st and 2nd gen., just because it's Verizon only in the US. Is it even available in the UK at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

Don't really know if that will be the case.

They are soak testing the update in multiple (not us) countries with a wide rollout to those locations possibly next week.

They have not, however, given a timeline for the US.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Don Lapre posted:

Lots of people are able to use the unlock portal right away. There is a citibank credit card deal right now. Its spend $2000 in 3 months get up to $650 credit towards an ATT phone. Only have to keep service for 15 days

revmoo posted:

I just recently completed this. I already do a lot of manufactured spend so this was kind of a no brainer.

Here is how the math worked out:

Phone service was $54.94, no activation charge. So all-in

$95 card fee
$54.94 Service Fee
$794.99 phone (iPhone 6 64GB, 6% sales tax)
-$650 statement credit

$294.93 out of pocket. Hoping to get ~$300 for my wifes iPhone 5S 32gb and it'll be a wash.

Time frame:

I made the phone purchase on 5/8 the day I received my card (~a week from applying), hit the spending requirement a day or so later and received my statement credit on June 8th. Requested a check for the negative balance online that day and received the check in the mail a few days later. All told, made my wife happy and it's a good day.

revmoo posted:

I was looking into it and it won't work for me. I have an existing ATT account (family plan) that I'm under right now and I'm trying to cancel it.

The only way I see it working is if I can port my ATT number from the family plan to a new ATT account, which I don't see working. I guess I could port to t-mob prepaid and then back to ATT but that's not worth six hundred dollars of hassle for me at the moment.

Fairly certain this works for those on existing plans as well, since it's an unlocked phone there's no contract associated but do some more digging to make sure you don't get caught with your pants down.

edit: Totally forgot, add $.01 to the total above. AT&T sent me a bill this morning in that amount...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I just recently completed this. I already do a lot of manufactured spend so this was kind of a no brainer.

Here is how the math worked out:

Phone service was $54.94, no activation charge. So all-in

$95 card fee
$54.94 Service Fee
$794.99 phone (iPhone 6 64GB, 6% sales tax)
-$650 statement credit

$294.93 out of pocket. Hoping to get ~$300 for my wifes iPhone 5S 32gb and it'll be a wash.

Time frame:

I made the phone purchase on 5/8 the day I received my card (~a week from applying), hit the spending requirement a day or so later and received my statement credit on June 8th. Requested a check for the negative balance online that day and received the check in the mail a few days later. All told, made my wife happy and it's a good day.

Fairly certain this works for those on existing plans as well, since it's an unlocked phone there's no contract associated but do some more digging to make sure you don't get caught with your pants down.

edit: Totally forgot, add $.01 to the total above. AT&T sent me a bill this morning in that amount...

Yea, all the slickdealers are getting the .1c bill.

Its really too bad amazon payments is gone, me and the wife used to do the $1000 get $300 back barkleys cards and we would just send each other $1000 fee free.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soak test invites have apparently gone out to Verizon Moto X 2014 owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How come the google now card for stocks only displays during business hours? After 3pm PST it doesn't show up. I used to be able to refresh the google now screen and it would show back up but now it won't show up until the next business day. WTF I need to know if I am poor or rich today! nexus 5 on 5.1.1