Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To be honest, he's dragged his feet so long I doubt he's making a profit from this. :v:

Feet dragging or not, he likely wasn't making much profit of the $50k to begin with, but still.

I'm not a follower of RPG stuff so the discussion here in the last couple days has been the first I've seen of his campaign and in turn how he's handled it. Pretty unbelievable, as others have already pointed out, that he's so comfortable being defensive about his actions after this much time. And I find the new .com hilarious, and even more so that he's acting the victim over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
LMAO at this idiot thinking that you had to buy his dumb product in order to be justified in pointing and laughing at his reprehensible behavior.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This weekend is the end of Endless Fantasy Tactics kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/endless-fantasy-tactics-gaiden

They are doing a panel tomorrow for the last hour of the kickstarter at the CMON expo. They had a chatroom last year, which was pretty neat. Plus they are releasing a starter box soon!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Serf posted:

Holy poo poo, back when the Thunder Plains bullshit was going down, Skarka came at me on Twitter for a few hours because I pointed out that he wasn't including Native Americans in his game. Eventually he left me alone, but I've just realized now that he blocked me.

RPG people I am blocked by:

1) Mike Mearls
2) GMS

Maybe I can add a few more to that eventually.

E: I forgot that Desborough had blocked me too, but he doesn't really count.

I think the most insufferable RPG person on the planet is the guy that ends all his posts by talking about whatever the gently caress stupid tobacco he is smoking in his Latin American grognard shame cabin. I wish the world could block him. From existing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Of course he dug through the owner's identity like a :tinfoil: maniac.

quote:

My guess would be to capture some "Internet Cool Points". It's hip to mine the tears of others for ICP. 

:allears: Doing it for mah ninjas.

quote:

So when is Far West coming out then? I backed Alas Vegas and was supposed to be getting a two-fer.

:nallears:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Plague of Hats posted:

:allears: Doing it for mah ninjas.

:nallears:

I'm so glad you made these jokes so I didn't have to.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Haha, has GMS deleted the third comment already?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's still there.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Of course he dug through the owner's identity like a :tinfoil: maniac.

As a $150 backer of Far West, I officially give my blessings to the website isfarwestoutyet.com and any and all comments about how Gareth Michael Skarka is an unprofessional jerk. There, that's that sorted.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

It's still there.

My comment (the third one) is eternal.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

"Waa, you have no money invested, you have no right to care!"

"You took fifty thousand dollars nearly four years ago, and have delivered dick-all. You are giving the entire industry a bad name by promising deadlines you know you will never meet, and by playing Internet Detective on anyone who dares comment that you have taken fifty thousand dollars in exchange for nothing."

"But none of it was yours so you have no right to complain."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ryuutama is up on DriveThru,and if you're a backer you should have a download code in your email.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ryuutama is up on DriveThru,and if you're a backer you should have a download code in your email.

I got two!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, so did I. I don't know if that was deliberate or not, though.

e: I love Andy.

quote:

Now, it's time to get out to the movies: Mad Max Fury Road just opened today here in Japan, and I need to run down to Shinjuku to wash off this Honobono stink with post-apocalypse car explosions RAWWWWRRRRR!!!

The PDF has arrived! Oh what a day! What a lovely day!!

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Heh.
Last week I took my regular tabletop group (that was and is quite eager to play Ryuutama soon) to see the new Mad Max, and the first thing I texted them later that evening was "Ryuutama: Fury Road".
There was much :stonklol:.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As much as GMS would probably assume otherwise, I haven't been to his Far West site in forever. Of course, it's mostly been dead for a long time, but you never know. So I clicked on over, and while this past is a year old, I can't help but point it out:

quote:

I'm doing the final stages of the layout (which is the biggest pain in the rear end -- making sure everything fits within a prescribed page count, tracking down overlay and other pre-press errors, insuring that everything fits under the printers ink-coverage hard limit, etc. -- this is the small-detail high-workload part of the process that I seriously hate). 

To answer your question: EVERYTHING is still on the table. I'm slow, but you'll get it.

Every single time I get a peek behind the curtain, I am appalled by the rank incompetence or, possibly, what amount to lies dressed up with jargon to trick the vast majority of people who don't know this poo poo.

Skarka works with InDesign. He's been doing it, presumably, for the better part of a decade. Ink coverage limits are something you set in a document-wide menu option, not something you really work on. Are the numbers too high? Change them—go to whatever spec doc you have, for instance the free guidelines on DTRPG, and make them that number or lower.

Or, I guess, he's been checking and setting values for individual pieces of art. Which, while hilariously dumb, I refuse to believe he's actually doing. Or he's talking about something that isn't actually ink coverage.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 20, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

GMS posted:

I participated last year, and I'll be doing it again this year. #RPGaDay

Shared publicly - Jun 18, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

lol if you think the biggest pain in the rear end during layout is the ''final stages''

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ryuutama is up on DriveThru, and if you're a backer you should have a download code in your email.

$14 is super cheap so I just bought it. The pdf is really cute. :3:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Unlike Far (And Away) West, NSKN's Mistfall's production has gone ahead of schedule! If nothing goes wrong Europe might see the game as early as July, with the rest of the world getting it on August.

It funded in this year's April.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

And bought! :3:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Here's one I find interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spellforgegames/foe-hunters-a-cooperative-fantasy-deckbuilding-gam/description

From reading the preview rules, it's essentially Sentinels of the Multiverse (a co-op superhero card game) with a fantasy theme and deckbuilding instead of entirely pre-built decks. I'm a fan of Sentinels, fantasy, and deckbuilding, so I'd like to see how this turns out.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If you find any errors in Ryuutama you might want to pass them on to the guys behind it. The PDF up now is version 0.9, the "mostly complete" version. They estimate it'll be updated to the final version in about 10 days, and they want to fix any errors they've missed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why is a Grandfather Clock an option in the list of items in Ryuutama?! :psyduck: I really doubt it, but I can't help but feel its a reference to Oregon Trail. Especially since it costs exactly the same amount of money Players start with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why is a Grandfather Clock an option in the list of items in Ryuutama?! :psyduck: I really doubt it, but I can't help but feel its a reference to Oregon Trail. Especially since it costs exactly the same amount of money Players start with.

It absolutely has to be, and I love it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sefer posted:

Here's one I find interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spellforgegames/foe-hunters-a-cooperative-fantasy-deckbuilding-gam/description

From reading the preview rules, it's essentially Sentinels of the Multiverse (a co-op superhero card game) with a fantasy theme and deckbuilding instead of entirely pre-built decks. I'm a fan of Sentinels, fantasy, and deckbuilding, so I'd like to see how this turns out.

The prebuilt decks are kind of the defining element of Sentinels, though. They're what allows the game to express a distinct personality for the various heroes (and villains and environments, for that matter, although those would generally be prebuilt anyway). Without that it's just another coop deckbuilder. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a different sort of thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It 100% is and I'm gonna demand my group buy it to start with.

"We have little food, no weather gear, barely anything to save us if the wagons break...but check out our sweet clock, they're gonna be so jealous of us guys."

Also from my quick look the Ryuutama pdf seems to be not needing anything changed. Kinda crazy to see this contrasted with GMS' stuff. Ryuutama had a ton of setbacks and updates that amounted to 'welp we had no idea how this would go, sorry guys' and...well here I am with a pdf and a neat upgraded book gonna be shipped to me as their 'yea our bad here' bonus. It's almost like small games can be made just fine despite many setbacks if the people in charge give two shits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Soo, was the Grandfather Clock added into the transition or was it in the original Japanese version?

[edit]

Oh and now it drops a Catan Reference. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 21, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It 100% is and I'm gonna demand my group buy it to start with.

"We have little food, no weather gear, barely anything to save us if the wagons break...but check out our sweet clock, they're gonna be so jealous of us guys."

Also from my quick look the Ryuutama pdf seems to be not needing anything changed. Kinda crazy to see this contrasted with GMS' stuff. Ryuutama had a ton of setbacks and updates that amounted to 'welp we had no idea how this would go, sorry guys' and...well here I am with a pdf and a neat upgraded book gonna be shipped to me as their 'yea our bad here' bonus. It's almost like small games can be made just fine despite many setbacks if the people in charge give two shits.

There have been quite a few typoes and some layout errors that have been spotted and reported. Most of the spottable with a quick glance issues were fixed a long time ago.

Really digging what I'm reading. Gonna have to put together a game to run, once my physical books get here (I couldn't decide which cover to get, so I got both, and having more than one'll help since it's unlikely that my group will purchase the book before at least a few sessions in).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

malkav11 posted:

The prebuilt decks are kind of the defining element of Sentinels, though. They're what allows the game to express a distinct personality for the various heroes (and villains and environments, for that matter, although those would generally be prebuilt anyway). Without that it's just another coop deckbuilder. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a different sort of thing.

Well, they do have 14-16 card starting decks of unique cards for each character, and cards you buy have an affinity to make them cheaper for certain characters, so there's still some of that. But yes, it does become different when you start letting everyone buy cards from the same supply. Other than buying cards, it has the same turn to turn mechanics as Sentinels, though.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

I really want to know how Far West destroyed a 20 year old friendship. How

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I never heard of Far West before popping into this thread a week or two ago, but at this point someone else can make a game using the same (or very similar) concept/story, right?

Anyway, the Zombicide Black Plague campaign just released Tim the Enchanter as a stretch goal character.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

krushgroove posted:

I never heard of Far West before popping into this thread a week or two ago, but at this point someone else can make a game using the same (or very similar) concept/story, right?

Apparently Jadepunk is close enough for some people, and it's straight up Fate instead of whatever bizarre patchwork Skarka's built.

Edit: Really, that and "Indians hardly show up in spaghetti westerns so I guess they don't belong in my game; this doesn't apply to the equally rare-in-genre black people, or the Chinese kung fu masters that are half the pitch of my game, because…" seem like pretty strong indications that just a little homebrew is automatically a step up.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 21, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I wonder if he knows how much domains and hosting actually cost... (Hint: loving peanuts)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Especially for a site that's serving up a couple handfuls of kilobytes per visit.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm sure he is basing his opinion on his own well-informed experience doing the same.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I really want to know how Far West destroyed a 20 year old friendship. How

Don't know how insanely sycophantic their fans are but I would no doubt drop a 15 year friendship if they turned into a Chris Roberts star citizen crazy person.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Don't know how insanely sycophantic their fans are but I would no doubt drop a 15 year friendship if they turned into a Chris Roberts star citizen crazy person.

There are people still on Gareth's side despite everything he's said and done.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

To be completely fair, you've almost certainly experienced more entertainment and enjoyment spending your money on that site, than anyone who backed far west in 2011. Also you got what you paid for.

You should keep saying you'll take the site down and post deadlines to do so for yourself. Update with a new deadline and an absurd or pathetic excuse every time.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Plague of Hats posted:

Apparently Jadepunk is close enough for some people, and it's straight up Fate instead of whatever bizarre patchwork Skarka's built.
Was Jadepunk the one written by someone who was worst than Skarka or am I thinking of another RPG?

• Locked thread