Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Critic of the Dawn posted:

Please understand, we aren't just strapping a modular gun pod onto a fighter's hardpoint here. We are redesigning high tech, cutting edge stuff with custom-built, non-modular components.

What we are doing is essentially removing the large and sophisticated radar missile guidance system from the nose of our Interceptor and replacing it with an A-10's Gatling gun which has been retrofitted to fire Alloy slugs, then covering it in a closable nose-cone compartment to avoid compromising the Interceptor's flight characteristics (even a tiny bit of extra drag is a huge problem at hypersonic speeds unless we don't mind the Phoenix cannon melting and exploding), and finally rewiring the entire Interceptor's electronics system to support the new gun and a smaller wing-mounted radar array.

In only 7 days.

Have some respect for our engineers, you monsters. :colbert:

If you aren't designing the weapon systems for modularity then you're a failure as an engineer :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

The Casualty posted:

If you aren't designing the weapon systems for modularity then you're a failure as an engineer :colbert:

Dr. Shen saves money and resources by reusing fasteners in a spare parts drawer, all the time is spent finding mating fasteners. XCOM hasn't decided whether to stick with imperial or metric, so sometimes you have a phoenix cannon that takes metric, when the interceptors are built using imperial. We might get more engineers which may make research and build times faster, but unfortunately because they come from all over the globe simple things like what measuring system to use take up the bulk of research, development, and manufacture. The only difference is the avalanche and stingray missiles, which came straight from the contractor ready to install and swap.

I intentionally never really mentioned directly the 7 days it takes to actually swap weapons (I mention it when we actually do swap weapons next video), but I don't really want a discussion about how BS it is that weapons take so long to swap. There's a reason for it, and though its kind of a dumb reason we planned for it, so its not a big deal.

edit: I like the jokes/silly reasoning though, just as long as its not directly related to the mod itself.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 18, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

ProfessorBooty posted:

Dr. Shen saves money and resources by reusing fasteners in a spare parts drawer, all the time is spent finding mating fasteners. XCOM hasn't decided whether to stick with imperial or metric, so sometimes you have a phoenix cannon that takes metric, when the interceptors are built using imperial. We might get more engineers which may make research and build times faster, but unfortunately because they come from all over the globe simple things like what measuring system to use take up the bulk of research, development, and manufacture. The only difference is the avalanche and stingray missiles, which came straight from the contractor ready to install and swap.

See, this is an excuse I can get behind!

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

ProfessorBooty posted:

We might get more engineers which may make research and build times faster, but unfortunately because they come from all over the globe simple things like what measuring system to use take up the bulk of research, development, and manufacture.

If by around the world you mean the american engineers are the only one who don't use the metric system then yeah :)

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

Unfortunately because they come from all over the globe simple things like what measuring system to use take up the bulk of research, development, and manufacture.
Don't forget all the "No I can't read your docs yet, what character set are you using? Could you just save is as plain ASCII? Maybe it's a line endings encoding thing" malarkey, that takes significant time too.

XCOM did standardise on USB for all data cables because Universal but subsequently ran into the same regular vs Micro vs Mini issues. Part of the 7 days weapon swap is "OK so is this port providing power? and does the component actually want power?" because that time the avalanche missile control circuit got fried was pretty embarrassing.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Oh, and related to the whole measurement systems problem is the nightmare involved in processing personnel payments using the Council's hitherto fore unknown currency, sometimes known as "Xbucks" among the crew. I mean, I signed up for free so that I could get a shot at flying the state-of-the-art aircraft, but I hear that a lot of the crew are not happy about international exchange rates impacting their ability to pay the bills back home. Accounting must be a nightmare for whomever bald Council-guy hired to look after the budget for the project when resources, human and otherwise, come in from literally everywhere.

(I'm glad people like the logistical snafu humour as well, and agree that it ought to be in the spirit of making light of XCOM's unusual situation and not to make complaints about Long War)

Incidentally, I am playing Long War a bit myself now (albeit with filthy casual settings like Normal Difficulty without Ironman) but I am learning a lot from the commentary for the earlier missions, and highly recommend trying the mod out for a new lease on XCOM.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Own staff screwed over by un-necessary council imposed complexities?

:xcom:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You think the accountant's job sucks? How about poor Reggie down in Insec who has to put together the Council Report every month? Every single order the Commander gives, every trash can we blow up, every pair of boots they knock together in the workshop, they want a goddamn ten-page essay justifying it. When poor Cedric bought the farm they had Reg up for three days straight splicing together satellite footage so the bald-heads could "review the incident." And then everything's gotta be signed by half the staff, translated into two dozen different languages, and read off over radio 'cause nobody wants a paper trail outside the base. No wonder it takes 'em half a month to get anything done.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

New training for rookies, also a harsh lesson of how some tactics are not viable in Long War any more. Specifically, it used to be the case that if an AI opponent is flanked and suppressed, they will dash on their next move to minimize the chance of getting hit (this was a handy way of temporarily taking an opponent out of action). Nowadays the AI won't dash, and is perfectly content blue-moving through the suppression and wrecking your poo poo. So its best to not flank a suppressed opponent if using suppression as a debuff.

There's a vanilla bug that was recently discovered - If an opponent is in cover and suppressed, they get the cover bonus if they run suppression (this doesn't work on non-covering-fire overwatch, because overwatch requires the pawn to move 2 tiles in the overwatching unit's field of vision). Interestingly this has always been the case, but the recent XCOM aim-flattening has made it obvious (the only times I hit with a suppression reaction shot was against flanked and uncovered targets). I don't know if this can or will be fixed in the future.

Also, Kidneyman wasn't very serious this mission. We had a discussion about this afterwards, but in general he just didn't realize how tough downed UFOs can be with rookies, and he still didn't realize how worried I was until after I mentioned abandoning the mission (long long after I asked him to be more serious). This should have been a clean sweep.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

That could have gone better! RIP Rookies, you tried so hard.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Well, I for one welcome the rookies to our- what do you mean, they're dead already?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
WELCOME TO THE MACHINE :getin:

Here's to hoping I don't wind up a bloody red mess on my flagship mission :ohdear:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Strange irony being it was just the last mission that I mentioned activating a pod by stepping out. Sheep-Dodger would have been saved if I didn't use her to flank the muton (It would have been just fine a few months ago!), Arson Fire would have been fine if I didn't try to flank the Muton with her. Maybe someday they'll get another chance.

e: Thankfully none of the people with experience got hurt.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Why do those rookies have the weird meld-arm thing going on, did you gene mod them?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Kurieg posted:

Why do those rookies have the weird meld-arm thing going on, did you gene mod them?

That's due to the fact that the tiers of armor take advantage of the 'gene mod' models. In this case, the model for the Phalanx armor uses the 'gene mod' version of vanilla's Carapace Armor. Unfortunately that results in the soldiers looking like they're dual-wielding MP3 players.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Well, I for one welcome the rookies to our- what do you mean, they're dead already?

X-COM. X-COM never changes. Well, except when they became XCOM but nobody counts that. Incidentally, did you know engravers often charge per letter?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

New training for rookies, also a harsh lesson of how some tactics are not viable in Long War any more.
Welp, I guess I got what I signed up for, the traditional XCOM experience. :v:
Maybe several rookies down the line my identical twin will show up and get some revenge.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

sheep-dodger posted:

Welp, I guess I got what I signed up for, the traditional XCOM experience. :v:
Maybe several rookies down the line my identical twin will show up and get some revenge.

Sorry :( I am really looking forward to training up new blood. I became completely off-balance before the engagement even began.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Woohoo, one more day until I can catch another plasma blast with my FACE.

Looking forward to trying to valiantly serve and possibly become moderately more competent!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Man, those rookies never learn.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorBooty posted:

Also, Kidneyman wasn't very serious this mission. We had a discussion about this afterwards, but in general he just didn't realize how tough downed UFOs can be with rookies, and he still didn't realize how worried I was until after I mentioned abandoning the mission (long long after I asked him to be more serious). This should have been a clean sweep.

BTW, when you get stressed, you yell at your co-commentator. A lot.
And it gets kinda weird and uncomfortable.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Mrit posted:

Trust me, it makes me uncomfortable, too. I had a discussion with him about this and I think we came to an understanding.

e: Its my fault when I lose my temper. I shouldn't make any excuses and expect him to behave differently, but when we were making test videos before (which we did for about two months by the way) this stuff never came up, even during tense situations.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 19, 2015

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

It's just a couple of rookies. They didn't build that memorial wall for nothing, and there's a lot of schools out there that need to be named after someone. Hopefully not me if I get in, but someone.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

seaborgium posted:

It's just a couple of rookies. They didn't build that memorial wall for nothing, and there's a lot of schools out there that need to be named after someone. Hopefully not me if I get in, but someone.

Schools get named after winners, not dead losers!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

Sorry :( I am really looking forward to training up new blood. I became completely off-balance before the engagement even began.

eh, don't worry about it, it's bound to happen at some point, and let's face it: rookies ARE super expendable, better to lose two rookies than two promoted soldiers that you've poured time and kills into.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

Mrit posted:

Yeah, I mean he's kind of your color commentator in a lot of senses, but you're the one driving and it seems weird that you blamed him so much for something you did and then kind of blamed him for you getting angry? Not to mention, I think you flustered him so much that he lost count of the floaters so that's not good.

Anyway, I was wondering how you guys were planning to fund the next EXALT scan and when and also if you had decided for sure where you wanted to send your new batch of satellites. I remembered you guys debating between going to South America or Europe, but is it set in stone to go to Europe? I'm assuming that's the case since your backup jets are over there. I'm figuring your next priority after that is to get enough jet coverage to handle whatever continent you're going to go to next right?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I know, I know. I brought this up before - too little processing power in my noggin I guess. Its not his fault things went wrong, and I've been behaving unprofessionally. I've come to the realization that I don't normally mind when things go wrong, even if its 'BS' RNG, I just don't like it when things go wrong and he makes silly jokes - he does this in an attempt to 'cool off the situation', but it makes me pull away further in the other direction and dwell on past mistakes - as if I need to remind him that things aren't going so great - and this is a personal flaw of mine I need to fix. Its just a game after all (if his jokes/puns were any good maybe it would be different :v:).

I think we're pretty much set on going to Europe. In the past I would take South America because I could get it near the end of the second month and pick up the discount to power facilities before I build the first steam generator. Given the issues with cash flow, and the fact we can't see getting Asia in the near future, I think we'll be pushing to Europe, even though some of the country bonuses aren't amazing. England if we don't make Squad Size II by the end of the month (germany otherwise), and Russia for sure for the +1 HP to new Assault/Infantry units. We have plenty of Assaults, so the Russia bonus will have a minimal effect on them, but it will be a great pickup for Infantry.

Its hard to justify South America now, as we usually try to have 4 interceptors minimum to protect a continent, so the extra money won't cover the interceptor maintenance.

I may end up doing another country completely depending on if I want to slow down alien progress, but this is kind of unlikely.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Don't lose hope, Commander. You've still got this well in hand, and we wouldn't be doing nearly as well as we are without you and the Vice-Commander at the helm! Keep it up and I'll look forward to more good news from the front!

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I like to think of this as less mistake more :xcom:.

You're going to lose soldiers, that's war. You're giving the average xcommer a great insight into long war. Keep it up and remember that lps should be fun for us AND YOU.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
The Price Is Right Horn really wasn't appropriate to memorialize two rookies cut down before their primes, so the guys in the workshop put together a bagpipe and got one of the soldiers to play something more somber. Much like this mission, things could have gone better.

Also the Commander is a real penny pincher, so he demanded that a wedding and a funeral be held simultaneously to cut waste.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

The Casualty posted:

Also the Commander is a real penny pincher, so he demanded that a wedding and a funeral be held simultaneously to cut waste.

"What do we do with all these surplus Live Captive Sectoids we picked up in Mexico?"

"Luchador masks. We'll be youtube millionaires."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look man, you can get sad about having lost soldiers or you can celebrate not needing to find gear for the new rookies meatshields suicide squad promising recruits that you're bringing in to the base and totally not mass ordering from shady military mail order catalogs.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

ProfessorBooty posted:

There's a vanilla bug that was recently discovered - If an opponent is in cover and suppressed, they get the cover bonus if they run suppression (this doesn't work on non-covering-fire overwatch, because overwatch requires the pawn to move 2 tiles in the overwatching unit's field of vision). Interestingly this has always been the case, but the recent XCOM aim-flattening has made it obvious (the only times I hit with a suppression reaction shot was against flanked and uncovered targets). I don't know if this can or will be fixed in the future.

This bug, the defense bonus from sitting in that tile, extends to all overwatch shots.

Say a sectoid runs into an overwatch trap, moving along a half-cover rock wall. Every overwatch shot against it is reduced by both cover defense and applicable overwatch penalties. Even if one of the overwatchers has a clear flank on that sectoid, it still has cover defense while running that overwatch.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 20, 2015

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
So I spent most of the day reading this thread after having watched the videos over the past couple days.

I have to say that you are a much better player than I am at these strategy tile-style games, and it's been fun watching even with the myriad mistakes you've made that I didn't even know where mistakes until after you said something about them :v:

I'm gonna toss my hat into the Recruit pool. Since you said you need more snipers/scouts I'd like to sign on for one of those roles, but if they fill up before I get in on this, that's fine.

Male and bald are the only actual requests I have though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Because you reminded me that I needed more details to get a cool backstory - so female. Velo Valkyrie. Speaks Spanish. And, you know, wanted to be a fighter pilot but WELP THERE WERE NO SPOTS IN THE INTERCEPTOR WINGS.

(Also, I think that country flag may have been Nigeria, not Eucador or whatever you said)

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So what I miss this last two weeks?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ChaosDragon posted:

So what I miss this last two weeks?

The aliens!

... also a rookies dying.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yami Fenrir posted:

The aliens!

... also a rookies dying.

This statement truly highlights how important rookies are to the xcom cause.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Well, the important thing is that I survived. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Superstring posted:

Well, the important thing is that I survived. :v:

For now.

• Locked thread