Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Nobody ever shows up to most of my HOA meetings unless a fee increase is on the agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elephanthead posted:

Is there really anything the HOA can do to keep you from renting? I thought those threats were all bogus because all they can do is foreclose and they don't have the money to outbid you at the foreclosure sale.

It varies by state. Illinois is one of the only ones I'm aware of that can straight up evict you for not paying your dues, then they're allowed to install a tenant and collect rent from them until the dues are paid off (if ever). Even if you own the condo outright they can do this. At a guess, they can probably do something similar for violating bylaws.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol if you subject yourself to any of that poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

Nobody ever shows up to most of my HOA meetings unless a fee increase is on the agenda.

This last one was a little important, it was a new construction community and this was the first time an actual homeowner could run for a seat on the board. Previously the builder had all 3 seats as is the norm during the construction phase. They've almost finished building and we were at the point where we could elect our own rep. Still no one cared.

They love to bitch about the HOA and community management company on nextdoor though.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lol if you subject yourself to any of that poo poo.

Lol if you disregard half the houses on the market because of horror stories.

Apr 7, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

My house isn't going to evict me for painting it the wrong color. HOAs are poo poo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My favorite is evicting the guy for flying the American Flag story. I also like when they foreclose on widows for being $50 behind on dues.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
At the mortgage company I used to work for, we had a borrower who lost her million dollar home to her Hoa because of $300 of missing Hoa payments. They took actual legal possession of it and neither the borrower or our company could do anything about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

HOAs seem to have two purposes; one is organizing and paying for the maintenance and repair of shared resources and property. I don't think most anyone has a complaint about that, provided the HOA is competently managed (maintains sufficient reserves, etc.)

The other is to maintain and/or enhance property values. Most of the draconian bullshit restrictions and rules seem to be in service to that. And it works, for the most part; HOA communities are almost always higher-value communities.

The only way to reverse this trend is for buyers to deliberately avoid buying HOA homes. Fewer buyers interested means lower selling prices. Short of government intervention, the choice to never become entangled with an HOA is absolutely the best and most effective way to fight this horseshit.

So yeah, LOL if you buy a home encumbered by a lien that gives a petty little fiefdom's nobility the right to control your home and potentially destroy you financially. LOL if you help to support property valuations that encourage that. LOL if you think that stuff is good.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm not buying my house to make a political statement. One of the checklists on my dream house is a pool in the neighborhood but not in my yard. I'll sacrifice my polka-dot curtains in pursuit of that dream.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
The thing that made me go HAHA, gently caress you to HOAs was when reading the bi laws, you had to request permission from the HOA to host cookouts holding 5 or more people at your own house and back yard.

Apr 7, 2003

I have never lived anywhere HOAs were a thing and the idea that large percentages of the U.S. live under them is horrifying.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm not buying my house to make a political statement. One of the checklists on my dream house is a pool in the neighborhood but not in my yard. I'll sacrifice my polka-dot curtains in pursuit of that dream.

There's a really nice giant public pool three blocks from my house that's free for city residents. Good enough for me.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Most of the nicer neighborhoods around where I live in San Diego have HOA's AND melo roos - often combining for $800+ per month. I somehow got lucky and avoided an HOA and my melo roos is only around $80/month and expiring in a few years. I don't understand how the people in 4S ranch (a few miles north of me) can justify spending $1000/month on nothing for a $700,000 house. They're basically carrying a million dollar loan.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Citizen Tayne posted:

I have never lived anywhere HOAs were a thing and the idea that large percentages of the U.S. live under them is horrifying.

There's a really nice giant public pool three blocks from my house that's free for city residents. Good enough for me.
Good for you, not everybody lives in your area though so maybe stop generalizing like whoa?

The HOA neighborhood we're looking at has a privately maintained and regulated water source which is the main attraction for me considering the state of water supply in California. I currently live in a non-HOA neighborhood and the roads are awful, too, so it's not all bad. I used to be anti-HOA but where we are now has me reconsidering.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
Sometimes it's really, really hard to find a home that isn't in an HOA community and that isn't also a total shithole. That's my situation; the houses from the pre-HOA era that are actually for sale are also in complete disrepair, here. So you can either have a nice, affordable house in a cool neighborhood that happens to have an HOA, usually on the order of $30/month and with pretty lax bylaws, or you can spend tens of thousands extra to own a teardown without HOA.

In other parts of the country I'm sure it's easy to find a nice neighborhood without an HOA, but sometimes it's not so easy.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

QuarkJets posted:

Sometimes it's really, really hard to find a home that isn't in an HOA community and that isn't also a total shithole. That's my situation; the houses from the pre-HOA era that are actually for sale are also in complete disrepair, here. So you can either have a nice, affordable house in a cool neighborhood that happens to have an HOA, usually on the order of $30/month and with pretty lax bylaws, or you can spend tens of thousands extra to own a teardown without HOA.

In other parts of the country I'm sure it's easy to find a nice neighborhood without an HOA, but sometimes it's not so easy.

Move to another state that isn't a highly segregated white flight shithole.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gonna repeat myself:

Leperflesh posted:

HOAs seem to have two purposes; one is organizing and paying for the maintenance and repair of shared resources and property. I don't think most anyone has a complaint about that, provided the HOA is competently managed (maintains sufficient reserves, etc.)

The other is to maintain and/or enhance property values. Most of the draconian bullshit restrictions and rules seem to be in service to that. And it works, for the most part; HOA communities are almost always higher-value communities.

If you're talking about a $30/month HOA, you're not talking about the sort of thing folks in here have been protesting. They're two different beasts and the conflation is getting a lot of people to post defenses of HOAs that are kind of missing the point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Every condo/townhouse in my neighborhood is of the 3 floor walkup variety, where the only shared expenses would be roof, boiler, minimal plowing of the alley, and minimal landscaping. And every one of them is minimum $350 for a 2br, if not $450. They seem to be used as a way to keep poor people out , because there's no way the expenses make sense - some of these are 6 units, some are 40. And of course, one 2br with a $450 assessment still had an ongoing special assessment for roof repairs. It's mindboggling.

Of course, this neighborhood also has exactly one (1) house under 2000k sqft (its at 1966) , so if you want a smallish house you either eat the HOA fee or look elsewhere.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

If you're talking about a $30/month HOA, you're not talking about the sort of thing folks in here have been protesting. They're two different beasts and the conflation is getting a lot of people to post defenses of HOAs that are kind of missing the point.

Except we get blanket comments about never ever buying a house with an HOA like:

Citizen Tayne posted:

Delorence Fickle posted:

The thing that made me go HAHA, gently caress you to HOAs was when reading the bi laws, you had to request permission from the HOA to host cookouts holding 5 or more people at your own house and back yard.

It's good to be aware of what can happen, and to say that if you live in a community with a decent HOA you should get involved so it doesn't become a lovely HOA. But you can't expect people to not say anything when there's someone talking about how stupid people are if they buy any house with any HOA.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Rurutia posted:

Except we get blanket comments about never ever buying a house with an HOA like:

It's good to be aware of what can happen, and to say that if you live in a community with a decent HOA you should get involved so it doesn't become a lovely HOA. But you can't expect people to not say anything when there's someone talking about how stupid people are if they buy any house with any HOA.

Well you see, there are two different kinds of posters in this thread: the "got mine gently caress y'all I have no life" shitposters, and people trying to deal with buying, selling, and upkeep of a house. They're two different beasts and the conflation is getting a lot of people to post defenses of HOAs that are kind of missing the point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

Pryor on Fire posted:

Move to another state that isn't a highly segregated white flight shithole.

First, I don't live in one of those places

Second, even if I did, that's useless advice

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I feel it is important to note that anyone who is not a fan of what their HOA is doing is free to run to replace those members who do not represent their views. Often, the document that governs the board of an HOA will have within it the ways and means to have a election meeting outside of the regular annual general meeting cycle that will let you depose of those without waiting for the election to cycle back around again.

Naturally this will require more than just you, but presumably anyone who has such an ax to grind and could rally support from other neighbours. If you don't, then your opinion on those matters must be in the minority, so too bad for you.

Naturally it will also require a lot of time, but presumably anyone who moved into a HOA community should recognize that the legislative fight against tin pot dictators is part of the maintenance requirement for such a property.

The HOA constitution and Robert's Rules of Order are probably good adds to a summer reading list for someone who actually finds themselves in a position where permission is needed to have the parents and the in-laws over for a BBQ.

Apr 7, 2003

HOAs are a problem caused by inadequate local government in an area. I live inside the city limits of a major city, and and in return for reasonable tax rates the city paves my roads, takes my garbage, provides sewage and water service, parks, pools, a library system, a police force, snow plowing, and more. It's pretty cool.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I don't live in an HOA and I like being able to be lazy and do whatever the hell I want with my yard. It's like the wild west. Just replaced most of the yard with rocks, and I only cut the grass/weeds when they are tall enough to be on the city inspector's radar.

My neighbor has a large inflatable pool out year round (even when deflated and covered in snow) and a trampoline with a gaping hole in it (that lots of little kids still somehow manage to use).

This is true freedom my friends.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Delorence Fickle posted:

I'm sure that permission will be readily granted if you and your guests are the right skin color. That's what HOA restrictions like that are about, keeping the undesirables out. Of course, they are not racist, and I am sure that if you have enough money to buy in you're one of the good ones, but big crowds of people in your yard would disturb the peace, you understand.

Apr 7, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

I don't live in an HOA and I like being able to be lazy and do whatever the hell I want with my yard. It's like the wild west. Just replaced most of the yard with rocks, and I only cut the grass/weeds when they are tall enough to be on the city inspector's radar.

My neighbor has a large inflatable pool out year round (even when deflated and covered in snow) and a trampoline with a gaping hole in it (that lots of little kids still somehow manage to use).

I am actually in the process of replacing the grass in my back yard with rocks and shrubs as we speak.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Thesaurus posted:

An HOA doesn't prevent you from doing any of this this, it's not like there's some universal ruleset that comes into play once the organization is established. If you collectively agree that these things are ok, then they're ok.

Besides, you're still not free, you've just got a different warden - a neighbor could snitch to the city for every imagined infraction, make noise complaints, complain about your animals, sue you over some petty issue, etc. At least within an HOA you've got a framework to resolve those disputes before you bring johnny law into the picture.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

Thesaurus posted:

Pretty sure most HOAs just require "ground cover" which often includes rocks, if you're into that. We rent a house and the grass/weeds get pretty tall before our landlord hires a guy to mow it; the HOA doesn't care so long as it doesn't look like poo poo. And according to him this is even one of those "problem" HOAs where people get pissy if you want to change something, but there haven't been any actual issues, just people getting mad about stupid poo poo... which could happen even if there wasn't an HOA

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 19, 2015

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Since we're throwing out our HOA anecdotes:

I remember my dad tried to start an HOA in our neighborhood when I was a kid (mainly because he wanted to have everyone pitch in to maintain the island in front of his house), and then some lady came to him since he was the unofficial board president and complained about a neighbor's "non-standard" mailbox. My dad was like "gently caress this" and disbanded the board and tore up the paperwork before they made anything official. Nobody else wanted to put in the effort, so 20 years later, still no HOA in his neighborhood.

In another story, a friend of mine pays $30 a month to his HOA for what appears to be no benefit whatsoever. There's no common grounds area to maintain, no pool, no islands, nothing. I honestly think he pays it just to be able to live in the school district he's in because it's supposed to be the "best in the city."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
While I'm not a fan of HOAs, nosy lovely neighbors can be a pain even without one. I bought a place with no HOA last year and it was about a month after closing before I got a mower and was able to do the lawn. This is before I moved in. So I met the delivery crew from sears delivering my mower and some other stuff and noticed a letter from the county on the door saying that my grass was too long (maybe 6") and that someone had complained. If I don't cut it in 48 hours the county would send someone to do it for $300.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, not trying to rip on HOAs so much as feel better about my lawless neighborhood here. I'm just embracing it.

My old neighbor is super nosy because he just sits around all day watching HIS neighbors. He regularly makes suggestions of things that I need to watch out for, "because the city will fine you X dollars for that " (he seems to know all of the fine amounts for everything).

He always concludes his nosy observations with "I'm not nosy... I don't like to get into other people's business!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I remember my dad tried to start an HOA in our neighborhood when I was a kid (mainly because he wanted to have everyone pitch in to maintain the island in front of his house), and then some lady came to him since he was the unofficial board president and complained about a neighbor's "non-standard" mailbox. My dad was like "gently caress this" and disbanded the board and tore up the paperwork before they made anything official. Nobody else wanted to put in the effort, so 20 years later, still no HOA in his neighborhood.

In another story, a friend of mine pays $30 a month to his HOA for what appears to be no benefit whatsoever. There's no common grounds area to maintain, no pool, no islands, nothing. I honestly think he pays it just to be able to live in the school district he's in because it's supposed to be the "best in the city."

There might not be big common areas, but there might be trees and poo poo that are commonly owned and maintained by the HOA. It could be a wall around the community, a fire break, mailboxes, etc. He could be getting sewer, trash, etc through dues. Sometimes the HOA even owns the roads in a community.

He might also not be getting anything at all, but that money is probably just paying to maintain poo poo that you wouldn't normally think about.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My fiancé and I just closed on our first home today! The entire process was far less painful and expensive than we thought it'd be. Ultimately, we have the house we want in the location we want for a price within our budget, and certainly couldn't ask for much more.

We don't have to leave our rental until the 30th, so that gives us plenty of time to paint and replace the flooring in the back bedroom.

Any suggestions of other wise things to do before we move all our furniture in? The 2-car garage doesn't have a solid concrete slab -- would it be wise to lay down a concrete patching compound? I've never done any work with concrete but it looks simple enough to use.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you don't have a slap you don't want to lay down anything besides some gravel or a full slab. What is it now? Dirt? Gravel? Something else?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

If you don't have a slap you don't want to lay down anything besides some gravel or a full slab. What is it now? Dirt? Gravel? Something else?

Blood and excrement.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Aggro posted:

My fiancé and I just closed on our first home today! The entire process was far less painful and expensive than we thought it'd be. Ultimately, we have the house we want in the location we want for a price within our budget, and certainly couldn't ask for much more.

We don't have to leave our rental until the 30th, so that gives us plenty of time to paint and replace the flooring in the back bedroom.

Any suggestions of other wise things to do before we move all our furniture in? The 2-car garage doesn't have a solid concrete slab -- would it be wise to lay down a concrete patching compound? I've never done any work with concrete but it looks simple enough to use.

I'd ask in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

Or on GarageJournal.

Apr 7, 2003

Aggro posted:

If it doesn't have a real foundation and basement, the best thing to do is light it on fire.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I want to see pictures of this dirt floored garage, sounds like something out of Silence of the Lambs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

A lot of areas maintain the sewer drains and other common grounds that are not the responsibility of the city. He should look over the HOA financials and see exactly what the money is being spent on.

I have been reading a lot of different HOA documents and disclosures and have not seen anything unreasonable in any of the VA approved condos. I was surprised that there weren't any restrictions on size or breed of pets, just total number for all of them.

Citizen Tayne posted:

If it doesn't have a real foundation and basement, the best thing to do is light it on fire.

Why does a garage need to have a foundation and basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

lampey posted:

Why does a garage need to have a foundation and basement?

So Tayne can poo poo on it for having cracks.