Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Hope this works...

My old CV. I sold it for my Ranger years ago. I'd like another one, but I'll probably never find one in not beat to poo poo condition.

My neighbor has one. I think it was grandma owned until she passed. They're big Ford nuts. The dad works at Ford so they only drive fords. The car was pristine but it's mostly sat in one spot for the last few years so I noticed so rust over the wheel well. I didn't even know it tab until I noticed that they had moved it the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phone posted:

Rhubarb gin sounds good. I need to wash my car and vacuum it (but it's like fuckin' 100F/40C out).

Remember that time we got snow and all y'all southerners were smug about not getting snow?

It's not 100 degrees right now :smug:

(but it will be in a month or two. gently caress.)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I will post a trip report

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kastein posted:

Remember that time we got snow and all y'all southerners were smug about not getting snow?

It dumped multiple times this year and Snowshoe got like 26" of snow in 2 days over MLK weekend. :confused:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

At least when we go to work on our vehicles we won't have to deal with 40 layers of rust on everything! Instead whenever we touch anything made of rubber it will disintegrate. :v:

Speaking of the south/florida, stopped into a gas station today to grab a drink only to be greeted by some 8 year old kid just chilling with a big rear end gold and blue macaw on his shoulder like it was the most normal thing in the world. When the kid's family took off out of the parking lot, the parrot was hanging on to the halfway rolled up rear window dancing in the breeze. Nobody batted an eye at this, loving florida. (At least the kid's parents cleaned up the giant poo poo the bird took in the store)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

:getin:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
IOC sous vide?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think that might be the highest the WJ will read, too. Parked it facing into the sun again on an even hotter day and it still "only" said 130.

I actually bothered to find some shaded parking today. Such luxury!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cakefool posted:

True. And I like wagons so I could replace the crown Vic with a Buick roadmaster, were they available manual?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Oh wait, you're serious.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. No. No they were not.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that might be the highest the WJ will read, too. Parked it facing into the sun again on an even hotter day and it still "only" said 130.

I actually bothered to find some shaded parking today. Such luxury!

Where are you at? Phoenix? It is only 110 here because of the smoke screen from the San Bernardino fire. Car's thermometer probably reads higher since it is on pavement.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

HAHAHAHAHA.

Oh wait, you're serious.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. No. No they were not.

This is all true but it shouldn't be too hard, aside from the custom pedal box, driveshaft, trans crossmember, and cutting a hole in the floor, to swap a manual in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, and that was after sitting in a spot where it was effectively facing the sun for a solid few hours before I hopped in. With that said, it does cool down to ambient pretty quickly once you get moving... and I never saw it below 113 on the 30 mile drive home at freeway speeds. I'm using about twice as much electricity per day at home than I was a month ago since the end of May / beginning of June was so wonderfully mild.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, and that was after sitting in a spot where it was effectively facing the sun for a solid few hours before I hopped in. With that said, it does cool down to ambient pretty quickly once you get moving... and I never saw it below 113 on the 30 mile drive home at freeway speeds. I'm using about twice as much electricity per day at home than I was a month ago since the end of May / beginning of June was so wonderfully mild.
You do know that the next time you do this, either your blend doors are going to jam on full heat, or your blower plug is going to melt, and you're going to cook yourself?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is going to seem crazy, but I bought one of those Nest thermostats a year or maybe two (?) years ago, and switched to APS's "expensive from noon to 1900 but super loving cheap every other time" plan (24c/kwh 1200-1900, 5-6c/kwh all other times, versus 10c/kwh 24/7), and taught the nest about the time differential, and it's pretty awesome. Pre-cools the house before noon hits, even if precooling goes lower than our set temp by a little, and does some other things. We have our bill normalized to average year-round, and before it was normalized at over $200/month, but now it's down to $105/month. I know 105 sounds expensive to some people and cheap to others depending on location, and I know that a fancier programmable thermostat would have probably done almost as good of a job, but I really like the features. Plus, I can change the temp from the couch on my phone, or in bed at night upstairs, which is baller.

Phone posted:

No promises but I can maybe work on this tonight

Totally serious about that $30, if you're up to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geirskogul posted:

I'm going on vacation and I'm like super slacking on what I need to do, but I can try to get it done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

This is going to seem crazy, but I bought one of those Nest thermostats a year or maybe two (?) years ago, and switched to APS's "expensive from noon to 1900 but super loving cheap every other time" plan (24c/kwh 1200-1900, 5-6c/kwh all other times, versus 10c/kwh 24/7), and taught the nest about the time differential, and it's pretty awesome. Pre-cools the house before noon hits, even if precooling goes lower than our set temp by a little, and does some other things. We have our bill normalized to average year-round, and before it was normalized at over $200/month, but now it's down to $105/month. I know 105 sounds expensive to some people and cheap to others depending on location, and I know that a fancier programmable thermostat would have probably done almost as good of a job, but I really like the features. Plus, I can change the temp from the couch on my phone, or in bed at night upstairs, which is baller.

I put a Nest in my office a couple years ago when i built it. It's already paid for itself with the whole "auto away" occupancy sensor thing because my schedule is erratic and I always forget to turn it down when I leave.

In the winter or particularly hot days I use my phone to turn off away mode when I wake up. By the time I take a shower and walk across the driveway everything is good.

People balk at the price because the only thermostats most people see are $20-100 at Home Depot. Those are cheap poo poo. Any decent programmable thermostat that would be included in a pro installation pretty much starts at $250, and at that price has very few competitive features.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rhubarb gin thoughts

Ace with lemonade
Ace with ginger

Sits on the tongue for ages. Absolute beaut

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

If you're driving an Astro van I don't think you can call someone out as driving a "rolling living room"

I sure as gently caress can - it's an American tradition. At least I can see where the front of my loving truck ends.
And we traded that in on a Kia Spectra5 back in 2008, anyway. I actually miss that van. It wasn't a lovely FWD minivan, but it wasn't a giant full-size, either. Pretty useful thing, with a bit of towing capacity, and adequate power. GM build quality, blah, blah, blah, but it never really broke, other than those damned plastic intake gaskets + Dex-Cool.

MustardFacial posted:

Seriously dude, if all you need is a driving appliance to get to and from work then go get an old cop car for cheap. They're not glamourous or turbocharged, but it's a car.

They are usually V8s, though. I like that part. And all the heavy-duty everything.

Cakefool posted:

If I moved to the US it'd be a hard choice between a Comanche and a Crown Vic for the first car I bought.

Well, the Crown Vic will be a whole lot easier to find. Almost literally the most common car in 'Merica. Especially if you count the Mercury Gran Marquis in as well.

kastein posted:

One of these vehicles comes in standard trans, 4x4, from the factory, and the other doesn't. :smug:

It doesn't burn out coil packs either.

One of these doesn't come with a V8, oil cooler, trans cooler, power steering cooler, 3.55 gearing, and a spot light, from the factory. :colbert:

Cakefool posted:

True. And I like wagons so I could replace the crown Vic with a Buick roadmaster, were they available manual?

No, but it's been done. To the Crown Vics, too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

One of these doesn't come with a V8, oil cooler, trans cooler, power steering cooler, 3.55 gearing, and a spot light, from the factory. :colbert:

Probably 95% of XJ/MJ production got 3.55s actually, that's the gearing 4.0L/auto, 2.5L/4spd manual, and 2.5L/3spd auto got :v:

Trans cooler was on towing package and forest/police service ones.
Oil cooler... dripping it on the ground cools it pretty well.
V8? That's on you, let me tell you all about how to put an LQ9 in one... :ninja:

Wait, yours is a 4cyl right? An LS4 from an impala SS will bolt right to that transmission. Then when it explodes, you can spend more money on making it not explode again.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Geirskogul posted:

I'm really surprised that my landlords haven't upgraded the three units in this house to Nest yet. They've got electric cars, are vocal about their hatred of paper towels, and have comped me to replace all the ceiling light cans with dimmable LED floods. Paducah Power has hosed up royally by breaking off with TVA and investing in the cluster gently caress Prairie State Power deal (built a plant next to a coal mine in Illi-loving-nois and the plant has been running sub-optimally, to put it mildly.)

My electric is part of my rent and 76 is chilly to me (I'd run it warmer but :qq: mah computer :qq:,) so I'm not feeling the crunch, personally. At the counseling center where I work (converted house), the bill went from ~$300/mo to nearly $1500. People and businesses are fleeing Paducah in droves. The region was hurting enough as it was with USEC and other anchors going away. Shawnee Steam Plant (provided power to TVA) was a significant job provider to Paducah-area residents and the power company board screwed everyone without the benefit of a reach-around. I hope they choke on their kickbacks. /rant

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

You do know that the next time you do this, either your blend doors are going to jam on full heat, or your blower plug is going to melt, and you're going to cook yourself?

It would take a not-minor miracle for the blend doors to jam full hot since when they fail, they fall down and you get full cold. Which I actually had last winter! Blower plug melting, I believe, and the WJ's HVAC does not have enough airflow as it is.

Geirskogul posted:

I want to love Nest, but the fact that their loving first-gen Protects started spamming me with false alarms within 8 hours of me landing in Hawaii for a vacation has burned me (and the wife) on them as a product for a good long while. First thing I did after landing from a redeye flight home a week later was rip those off the drat ceiling. Shame because I loved the Pathlight function. I've already got a programmable (but not wi-fi) Honeywell thermostat and solar, so my actual usage and bill is about as small as it will possibly be for my house. It isn't bad, really. I spent more cooling my last apartment than I do now cooling my house, and that was at 2006 electrical rates, for a smaller place, that was never comfortable during June.

Pre-cooling is the one thing I don't do yet, because I don't think I have enough time slots in my thermostat (just wake/leave/return/sleep) to make it work. I am getting some 90% sunshades once the HOA approves it, though. The main tree I have in my front yard is now so tall that it doesn't shade the windows anymore and that front bedroom has become really toasty as a result.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Geirskogul posted:

We have our bill normalized to average year-round, and before it was normalized at over $200/month, but now it's down to $105/month. I know 105 sounds expensive to some people and cheap to others depending on location, and I know that a fancier programmable thermostat would have probably done almost as good of a job, but I really like the features.

I am so full of hate at your cheap hydro :( If we get under $200 a month here, that's a month where neither heat nor A/C had to run, we BBQ'd every night, and didn't do any laundry.

loving Ontario Hydro.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

My car was parked in covered parking all day. Read 115 or 117 all the way home until I pulled into the garage. Ah, sweet sweet A/C, thank you for not failing me.

Was a pretty good Friday at work. Boss still stuck in India, someone brought in bagels this morning for the early training class. Training ran over 30 minutes, so not enough time to really do anything before the 11 o'clock meeting. Finished that meeting early went to Arriba's for lunch with a couple of co-workers. Caught up on email, went down the hall and played pool for almost an hour, turned off the computer, packed up and headed home. :v: Friday!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I want to love Nest, but the fact that their loving first-gen Protects started spamming me with false alarms within 8 hours of me landing in Hawaii for a vacation has burned me (and the wife) on them as a product for a good long while. First thing I did after landing from a redeye flight home a week later was rip those off the drat ceiling. Shame because I loved the Pathlight function. I've already got a programmable (but not wi-fi) Honeywell thermostat and solar, so my actual usage and bill is about as small as it will possibly be for my house. It isn't bad, really. I spent more cooling my last apartment than I do now cooling my house, and that was at 2006 electrical rates, for a smaller place, that was never comfortable during June.

Pre-cooling is the one thing I don't do yet, because I don't think I have enough time slots in my thermostat (just wake/leave/return/sleep) to make it work. I am getting some 90% sunshades once the HOA approves it, though. The main tree I have in my front yard is now so tall that it doesn't shade the windows anymore and that front bedroom has become really toasty as a result.

Yeah, I can understand the issue with the Protects. The video with the Google engineer running through his house, ripping them down, and throwing them into a cooler (with the one of them that wasn't flashing a false alarm, like the turret in Portal that says "I'm different...") kind of made me turn away, but I have loved the thermostat. And I still really want the Protect or Protect 2 that they just announced.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

The Locator posted:

My car was parked in covered parking all day. Read 115 or 117 all the way home until I pulled into the garage. Ah, sweet sweet A/C, thank you for not failing me.

Was a pretty good Friday at work. Boss still stuck in India, someone brought in bagels this morning for the early training class. Training ran over 30 minutes, so not enough time to really do anything before the 11 o'clock meeting. Finished that meeting early went to Arriba's for lunch with a couple of co-workers. Caught up on email, went down the hall and played pool for almost an hour, turned off the computer, packed up and headed home. :v: Friday!

I miss those days.

My day started off with me having to rush in without breakfast because I needed to be in early, and wasn't told about this until about 5am. I then sat down and did about an hour of boring paperwork before my dad (and the only other person in the office) decided on a whim he was going golfing in the middle of the day. That left me alone to get my work done in silence (which was nice) or at least it would have if the phone would ever stop ringing. It's now 4:49pm, I'm still here by myself, there is no A/C, the phone continues to ring constantly (3 lines at a time), I've not eaten anything all day. I want to kill myself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I want to keep the USPS alive most of the time, I really do, but then they dick me the gently caress over by stuffing two packages up their bunghole and forgetting about it when they are supposed to be here TODAY. And I need them by tonight so I can use them this weekend. Even paid extra for fast shipping on one of them and it still aint loving here and won't be for another 3 days 'cause no one is going to be here tomorrow to answer the door. Which is why I ordered with 2 day shipping so it would get here today.

The shipping even is still saying they're expected to arrive today even though one is 100+ miles away and last left a distribution center and the other is still in loving FLORIDA according to their tracking page.

gently caress you I hope you go bankrupt assholes, even UPS and Fedex are less incompetent.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My thermostat was being dumb and I really wanted to replace it with a Nest but I have a pretty regular schedule and my electricity is 7.5c/kwh and about to lock into 4.5c/kwh for the next year so it just didn't make sense to get anything but a basic Honeywell programmable. Might still get one at some point but I have a long list of toys that I need before then.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Here's a video of my letter carrier a few years ago leaving a SIGNATURE ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY REQUIRED package from a jeweler (containing my wife's wedding jewelry) on top of our mailbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF0IRy9VEQA

annnnnnd here's the homeless guy coming to steal it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Hxmf8PnOM

Speaking of theft - the reason I'm here to post is because I'm considering putting magnets on my front plate and just slapping it on my hood when I park downtown (local parking dweebs ticket for no front plate). I have a towhook mount I can use but I don't really like the look and I like running with one less LIDAR target the rest of the time (it's too much of a hassle to add/remove the mount each time). Has anyone done this? Did you ever manage to scratch you paint with the edges of the plate? The main thing I'm worried about is theft. So far I'm leaning towards "bad idea" but I'd like someone to talk me into it.

Edit: A flip plate holder would probably be best but I've heard mostly negative things about them. If anyone can prove me wrong there I'd appreciate it.

blk fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 20, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

This is all true but it shouldn't be too hard, aside from the custom pedal box, driveshaft, trans crossmember, and cutting a hole in the floor, to swap a manual in.

True. You could probably snag the pedals from the same early fourth gen f-body you get the t-56 from. I think it might me more fun in a Fleetwood, though. :getin:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, I'm an idiot and miss my stupid hatchback/wagon focus and want to sell my loud annoying miata to get one. this looks so drat great to me. I'm stupid.

E: Also, animation dancing to dubstep is p neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRxoo3Nfdc

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 20, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

gently caress you I hope you go bankrupt assholes, even UPS and Fedex are less incompetent.

Considering I just had a UPS driver literally walk past me, put a not home notice on my door, Sprint to his truck and drive away?

Not buying it. They're all loving cunts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

iwentdoodie posted:

Considering I just had a UPS driver literally walk past me, put a not home notice on my door, Sprint to his truck and drive away?

Don't they get paid per delivery?
Give um half for a not home notice and the rest when they deliver.
Only pay mileage once.

Or some such. That sort of thing really should be easy to discourage.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

Only pay mileage once.

When I was in the hiring meeting they seemed pretty legit about wanting the drivers/runners to deliver poo poo fast and right. Maybe you just got a lazy one.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BloodBag posted:

When I was in the hiring meeting they seemed pretty legit about wanting the drivers/runners to deliver poo poo fast and right. Maybe you just got a lazy one.

It's just the fact that I was standing in my open garage, acknowledged him, and he still did it.

Called the phone number and they put in a notice on it, so we'll see. Other awesome part? The delivery window he selected for loving Monday of all times is a point where someone will be home for maybe 30m of the three hour block.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Probably 95% of XJ/MJ production got 3.55s actually, that's the gearing 4.0L/auto, 2.5L/4spd manual, and 2.5L/3spd auto got :v:

Trans cooler was on towing package and forest/police service ones.
Oil cooler... dripping it on the ground cools it pretty well.
V8? That's on you, let me tell you all about how to put an LQ9 in one... :ninja:

Wait, yours is a 4cyl right? An LS4 from an impala SS will bolt right to that transmission. Then when it explodes, you can spend more money on making it not explode again.

2.5L/4-speed is 4.10, I'm pretty sure.
An my Jeep isn't mine any more. I sold it to get the Crown Vic P71. I plan to get another one at some time, but it will be a 4.0, preferable 4x4. %-speed if I can find one. Or a V8 ZJ or WJ.

e: but yeah, it is a 2.5L/5-speed. My friend, the current owner, has been using it quite a bit recently. Just recharged the AC on it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Would I have been the guy that peaked in high school if I could do this when I was 18?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg6-SnUl0A0

Because that would be pretty alright with me.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 20, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Only pay mileage once.

I'm pretty sure they get paid hourly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

True. You could probably snag the pedals from the same early fourth gen f-body you get the t-56 from. I think it might me more fun in a Fleetwood, though. :getin:

Oh, that would be a ball. Better still, an LSX 6-speed Fleetwood, that looks granpa-stock on the outside.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, not surprised. The best I can offer is the time our chucklefuck UPS guy at work handed me a package for the biotech firm two docks down. I happened to notice before he got away so I went out and gave it back and told him to bring it to the place it belonged. He is known for dropping our poo poo at the wrong dock about 1/3rd of the time.

His answer? "Oh sorry man, musta screwed that one up, normally all the mcmaster orders are for you guys!"

Fucknuts, there is a TO address on that package. When DELIVERING poo poo, use the loving TO address. Jesus tap dancing christ this is literally the most important thing about your god drat job how do you not understand this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tomorrow is my wife's first group ride, I hope I've been a good teacher. I've been a mentoring rider, a group ride leader, and I hope that I've fostered her interest in cycling enough that she's ready. It's a super big deal to me that she doesn't hate group rides, because for cycling, group rides are the best part. I like how for years I've been doing this and for her I really genuinely care more than any other student I've had.

• Locked thread