Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006
the entire right wing relies on the idea that racism is dead and their fear of minorities is because they are thug criminals, so yeah, as long as the united states exists as a political entity we probably will never address our hosed up racial issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Armani posted:

Everyone watch this.

Here is what someone on my Facebook had to say about this

quote:

There's a phenomenon in this country where a disturbingly racist (read: normal) thing happens, and then a bunch of folks (white, black, and everything between) try to display their "allyship" or consciousness by sharing the words of folks like Tim Wise and Jon Stewart. My timeline is literally plastered with videos and statuses from these two men.

The problem is that neither man is saying (or has ever said, from what I can tell) ANYTHING that hasn't already been stated by member of the community that actually feels the oppression they're targeting on any given day. And the fact that they're even in a position to have their voices elevated above many others is a sign of institutional racism. At any rate, the constant barrage of Wise/Stewart makes me wonder why, at best, your source of commentary about racism is folks who've never actually felt it... or, at worst, you seem to only value the the commentary of white folks and/or value poignant insight once it's expressed by a white person?

Just know that if your goal is to present as an "ally" or to show that you "get it," sharing Tim Wise and Jon Stewart ain't gonna get it done. That's done through actions, first off, BUT if you're looking to present those things in the limited ways they can be done via social media, how about elevating the voices of the oppressed, the folks on the ground, the scholars who've lived it, etc. And if the kind of Black/Brown brilliance that undergirds many of Wise/Stewart's thoughts doesn't ever find it's way onto your social media platforms (but Wise/Stewart do), then you've probably got some soul searching to do.

And for the record, I generally like Jon Stewart (don't care very much for Wise).

I was pretty conflicted with that general opinion while agreeing with the underlying principle.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 19, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cythereal posted:

I really, really don't want John Stewart to be right, but he is, isn't he? We're not going to anything, anything at all about this. Nine people are dead because a racist young man walked into a black church with a gun and shot unarmed people pleading with him to stop. And we're going to pretend there's no racial conflict in our country.
Well there's certainly not going to be any gun control movement because of this. No federal laws restricting guns or ammunition were signed in the wake of Sandy Hook, and that was even worse than this.

As for the racial element... I suppose we'll see.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Pohl posted:

Bond hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z68X8Liuf8 for anyone interested. Watching it now. Ugh, you know it is bad when the judge sounds like he is going to break down.
Oh my god how could he stand emotionless during that, and after what he's done? :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well what are you doing about it?

Vote for local, state, and national leaders who aren't shitheads and cry because I live in the South and that is therefore not going to lead to anything productive.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

They caught the guy and he will be on trial and they may even charge his father with a crime.

The System Works
nevermind about the 9 people who died

Bad things happen. What can ya do?

I would like to see law enforcement go at least one step further and attempt to determine what it was in this guy's life that formed his racist beliefs. At least one friend said that he wasn't this way years ago; so what happened? Was it his family, did he fall into an American History X scenario? What the hell formed this young person's ideology? I really don't think he was mentally ill or that mental illness can even explain this particular action.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cythereal posted:

I really, really don't want John Stewart to be right, but he is, isn't he? We're not going to anything, anything at all about this. Nine people are dead because a racist young man walked into a black church with a gun and shot unarmed people pleading with him to stop. And we're going to pretend there's no racial conflict in our country.

20+ kids were shot dead and we did nothing why would 11 less victims change anything :smith:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well what are you doing about it?

What am I supposed to do about it? I keep asking myself that. I'm a literally broke white male grad student with no way to travel between states, not even money for next month's rent, no car. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't donate money. I can call my congresscritters for all the good that'll do in influencing other states. I do that already. I can sign petitions, I can go door to door in this city (which is plenty hosed up on its own), and I've done both extensively. But I can't get a loving job and I might not have a house come the fall. What am I supposed to do about this country and its hosed-upness other than sit back and watch in horror?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

sudo rm -rf posted:

It's very interesting that the only things to have drawn you into D&D these past few months are michael brown, charlie hebdo, the black teen who got a heart transplant, the baltimore protests/riots, and now this.

I wonder why that is.

There's just something common to all those stories that makes it hard for him to relax, it seems.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

People will sagely nod and agree that maybe while we have "some trouble with race" in this country, this one kid is a special case of crazy and there wouldn't be anything in his life or environment that would have caused him to develop in such a way that he wears loving apartheid flags on his jacket and that his friends knew he was a goddamn unstable racist who kept talking about Rahowa but basically took it as par for the course.

I mean if you want to spread around some indirect blame, point at the undercurrent of dialogue about how confronting racists is somehow convicting them of "thoughtcrime." Racists are bad people. They aren't misguided, they aren't rough around the edges, they are bad and their racism should be fought and spoken against when it rears its head. People can't just keep accepting that there is a harmless form of racism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boon posted:

I was pretty conflicted with that general opinion while agreeing with the underlying principle.

The problem with that opinion is that it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how fixing institutional racism works. If racism against black people is endemic to culture until it permeates the legal system, a million black people shouting "No more!" will mean nothing to racists. They're already of the opinion that the beliefs of the oppressed group are of little merit, so why would just increasing the number of voices have an effect?

Change in institutional oppression comes about when members of the more powerful majority fight against it. A racist white guy in power is more likely to listen to a fellow white guy in power than a hundred poor black guys. While the oppressed class raises awareness of their plight, they can't really affect change when they've been disenfranchised so much. On the other hand, they can convince the white majority to help them fight for their rights. The right to vote for women was drafted and passed by a bunch of old white guys. Segregation was outlawed by old white guys.

No, John Stewart's not an oppressed black guy. But his status in society means that his voice ends up meaning more to the kind of people who need to change their views.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Redeye Flight posted:

What am I supposed to do about it? I keep asking myself that. I'm a literally broke white male grad student with no way to travel between states, not even money for next month's rent, no car. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I can't donate money. I can call my congresscritters for all the good that'll do in influencing other states. I do that already. I can sign petitions, I can go door to door in this city (which is plenty hosed up on its own), and I've done both extensively. But I can't get a loving job and I might not have a house come the fall. What am I supposed to do about this country and its hosed-upness other than sit back and watch in horror?

My situation is similar. I have a white collar office job paying a pittance more than minimum wage and have almost no money between constantly rising rent, student loan repayments, and other necessities. I live in the South, in a city with a mean age of 62 as of last year. What am I supposed to do besides make votes rendered moot by my living in an extreme right-wing area and state?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cythereal posted:

Vote for local, state, and national leaders who aren't shitheads and cry because I live in the South and that is therefore not going to lead to anything productive.

Redeye Flight posted:

I really don't know what any individual can or should do, but that's why we should try to find something to do. Find a way to fight. Find groups to support any way you can. Since last August, a lot of anti-racism groups have popped up or gained momentum. Find some. Work with them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

The problem with that opinion is that it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how fixing institutional racism works. If racism against black people is endemic to culture until it permeates the legal system, a million black people shouting "No more!" will mean nothing to racists. They're already of the opinion that the beliefs of the oppressed group are of little merit, so why would just increasing the number of voices have an effect?

Change in institutional oppression comes about when members of the more powerful majority fight against it. A racist white guy in power is more likely to listen to a fellow white guy in power than a hundred poor black guys. While the oppressed class raises awareness of their plight, they can't really affect change when they've been disenfranchised so much. On the other hand, they can convince the white majority to help them fight for their rights. The right to vote for women was drafted and passed by a bunch of old white guys. Segregation was outlawed by old white guys.

No, John Stewart's not an oppressed black guy. But his status in society means that his voice ends up meaning more to the kind of people who need to change their views.

Counter point: racists probably don't care what John Stewart has to say anyways.

I agree with your point, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There's also a bunch of people who just get their news from people like Jon Stewart. They wouldn't hesitate to get their news from a black media personality of the same sort of status and acclaim, except... there really isn't one. Which is, of course, a symptom of racism in society.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this really accurate? In February he committed a felony and was awaiting conviction. Under federal law, someone awaiting trial for a felony charge is not allowed to receive a firearm. He should have been flagged by the background check.

His uncle told Reuters he was gifted the pistol for his 21st birthday, which was still illegal but a lot more plausible than someone awaiting trial for a felony walking into a gun store and buying a pistol.
Shades of the Virginia Tech shooter, who also wasn't supposed to be able to purchase firearms. In that case, the blame for the sale fell pretty squarely on Virginia's shoddy compliance with federal regulations. I'm curious to hear more about what happened in the Charleston case. Sadly, I fear that it will also be handwaved as a bureaucratic fuckup, and nothing more.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

That's the tack I took too. He wasn't really having any of it, but then again you don't try to change the opinion of the person you're arguing with anyway.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

There's also a bunch of people who just get their news from people like Jon Stewart. They wouldn't hesitate to get their news from a black media personality of the same sort of status and acclaim, except... there really isn't one. Which is, of course, a symptom of racism in society.

I mean, if they just keep watching the same drat channel after Jon Stewart's show ends. Or wait till Jon Stewart's reign ends...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Boon posted:

I mean, criticizing the white people who agree with you because you don't agree with how they tell you they agree with you is legit as far as it goes (I'm sure it often gets smarmy and annoying as gently caress), but to be honest I'm kind of hard pressed to really give a gently caress. The practical problem is the huge mass of uber-lovely white people who DON'T agree with you, which are everywhere and are exactly 39 quadrillion times worse than a stereotypical white anti-racist leftist who... mostly consumes white media and acts kind of smug or douche-y something? It's literally White Power Murder Land here, but... yeah, gently caress those guys too, I guess?

JT Jag posted:

And Jon Stewart is kind of a funny example anyway because he's in effect firing himself so a black guy can take his job.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 19, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Roof and maybe his dad will be convicted and that's it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This forum reminds me there's always more and its always worse, but when I hear there is a gofundme for dylan roof, even my black, cynical heart is shocked.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
doing something would require understanding that structural and systemic factors exist and that would contradict our country's comfortable white national narrative of individual entrepreneurism and responsibility

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ron Jeremy posted:

This forum reminds me there's always more and its always worse, but when I hear there is a gofundme for dylan roof, even my black, cynical heart is shocked.

What? Seriously? Fuuuuuuuck

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ron Jeremy posted:

No.

No you're a filthy liar.

Please, you have to be a filthy liar.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

It has been shut down already.

Also, Dylann.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
And after some quick googling it was created by /pol/.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

Roof and maybe his dad will be convicted and that's it.

Yup. This will be off the primary news cycle in 3-4 days (and will resurface as a blip when he gets convinced/sentenced/shanked in the prison shower), no meaningful legislation will be passed, and in around six months there will be another bloody massacre so the cycle can repeat. We aren't at the breaking point yet, and probably won't be for several more years yet.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

Has there even been any evidence that this kid was actually on prescription drugs?

Of course!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Stop! Hammer time.

Please, Hammer, don't hurt him. :ohdear:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this really accurate?

If it's not accurate, then the government is lying and--

waitaminute

:freep:

Or it could be CNN being stupid:

quote:

One key part of this horrific scheme -- the weapon -- came in April, when Roof bought a .45-caliber handgun at a Charleston gun store, the two law enforcement officials told Perez and Bruer from CNN, the first network to report this development. His grandfather says that Roof was given "birthday money" and that the family didn't know what Roof did with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Stop! Hammer time.

Please, Hammer, don't hurt him. :ohdear:

He touched that.

HuffPo is saying that the feds are now investigating the Charleston shooting as a "potential" act of domestic terrorism. Looks like they're finally getting on board with what everyone's been saying.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

Has there even been any evidence that this kid was actually on prescription drugs?

he most likely was. it turns out the kinds of people who hatch mass murder plans and then carry them out also face acute psychiatric problems which they generally seek treatment for. this is why it's easy for people to commit the causation/correlation fallacy, thinking that mental illness drives mass murder rather than the majority of mass murderers already presenting some kind of mental illness due to a root cause

probably in this kid's case he was kind of a dumb fuckup, dropped out of high school, faced pressure from his parents to grow up and be an adult, discovered that he could blame black people for loving up his life, and then decided to shoot a bunch of innocent people in some horrible episode

mass murder and mental illness go hand in hand. it's just a mistake to say one causes the other, usually they're both the result of some underlying dysfunction, which is why labeling white terrorists as "mentally ill" is a useless distraction

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

For those of you who (rightfully) avoid reddit, here's a little peek at what's currently on the front page:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

White people don't have to murder black people, there's so many other ways to deal with them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I do find the focus on gun control among certain people to be super weird right now, as if the sort of gun control those people advocate would have stopped this or even impacted it.

Not that I'd be opposed to a complete ban on handguns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I do find the focus on gun control among certain people to be super weird right now, as if the sort of gun control those people advocate would have stopped this or even impacted it.
He was up for felony charges and shouldn't have been capable of purchasing a firearm, better screening might have stopped him.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

site posted:

He touched that.

HuffPo is saying that the feds are now investigating the Charleston shooting as a "potential" act of domestic terrorism. Looks like they're finally getting on board with what everyone's been saying.
Good. If one good thing can come out of this, I want this fucker called an out-and-out terrorist, because that's exactly he is. I don't want this to disappear down the memory hole, I want this to come up every time any rear end in a top hat tries to pull the "racism is over" bullshit.

quote:

Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof told police he “almost didn’t” kill nine people at Emanuel AME Church Wednesday night “because everyone was so nice” to him, according to a report in NBC News. Eventually, though, Roof decided he had to “go through with his mission”
So yeah, Bill O'Reilly is somehow correct: a literal terrorist, same as ISIS and al-Qaeda. I'm just fine with treating this rear end in a top hat like we do ISIS.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Screening? That sounds an awful lot like setting up a gun registry for future gun confiscation!!!

gently caress this country

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish someone would call out GOP politicians every time they use a shooting to push their pro-gun agenda by saying we shouldn't increase gun control and that Obama is using the shooting to push his gun control agenda. I'm not sure how to word that sentiment in a more eloquent way but you get what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

I wish someone would call out GOP politicians every time they use a shooting to push their pro-gun agenda by saying we shouldn't increase gun control and that Obama is using the shooting to push his gun control agenda. I'm not sure how to word that sentiment in a more eloquent way but you get what I mean.

projection

"shame on the president for politicizing this horrible tragedy and the inevitable overreaching legislation from gun-grabbing leftists! shame on them for turning this crime into political theater!"

• Locked thread