Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

whole lotta words about how angry at video games you aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Zaphod42 posted:

You're in the same camp with this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFxz5T0wWQ

Hey let's not say anything we can't take back. I don't really remember that well but was anyone really happy with Hunters or Pinball? At least you were still Samus in those ones. I know it's not fair to judge anything yet, but that game looks like something you'd walk past in a $4.99 bargain bin.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its pretty much Metroid Prime Hunters: Firefight mode literally. Its a handheld shooter for kids, because that's fun, but Nintendo doesn't own the Halo IP so its Metroid Prime. It uses metroid prime guns and first person style and that's pretty cool. It looks like a fun little handheld game, just like Metroid Prime Hunters was. Its not a replacement for Metroid Prime on console, no, neither was Hunters.

I'm not saying people were loving pumped for metroid prime pinball. I'm saying nobody flipped a table because Nintendo making Metroid Pinball didn't mean they weren't making some Metroid Prime game, it just meant that they wanted to make a loving pinball game and happened to use the Metroid IP.

The whole thing can be summarized as "fans wanted to see a new metroid prime game right now, but Nintendo is only showing off games that will ship in the next year. :cry:"

Actually, scratch that. People are pissy there's no new metroidvania. Even a new metroid prime wouldn't satisfy everybody. Just go play Axiom Verge instead, I'm so so so sorry Nintendo doesn't want to make another of those, other people are though.

That's it. All the complaints about Federation Force are just :jerkbag:

You're in the same camp with this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFxz5T0wWQ make sure you're on the right side :cheeky:

"This is the second time we've been given what is... an okay looking game? But for whatever reason has the metroid title slapped on it for some goddamned reason. WHERE THE gently caress WAS SAMUS?"

Hahaha gently caress off dude. People loved the hell out of the Metroid Prime series and while a lot of people would love to see another Super Metroid, the bigger problem is that they want a return to form after the mess that was Other M. Fans are worried that the series is going in a bad direction, and a game where you don't play as Samus is not going to reassure anyone.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Hey let's not say anything we can't take back. I don't really remember that well but was anyone really happy with Hunters or Pinball? At least you were still Samus in those ones. I know it's not fair to judge anything yet, but that game looks like something you'd walk past in a $4.99 bargain bin.

People were middlingly happy with Hunters, and Pinball was, well, a pinball game so no one cared. That was when Nintendo was putting out fun Metroid games though.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jun 19, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

That's it. All the complaints about Federation Force are just :jerkbag:

EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE FRANCHISE I LIKE AND THE PEOPLE BEHIND IT IS WRONG

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

People would not be upset about this if they were also making new metroid games that stuck to form.

Frankly I think departing from the 'vania format was a mistake unto itself, but Fusion proved that they can even gently caress that up so who knows?

All I know is, there aren't enough vanias.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
There have been and they are extremely successful, albeit in 3d. So it's strange to not make them.

Talking about Dark Souls, etc.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Jun 19, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Cleretic posted:

Actually, people are most mad that they did get creative, and are making a Metroid game that doesn't seem to look or play like any of their favorite Metroid games.

They played Blast Ball without revealing that it's a Metroid game for one stage of the Nintendo World Championship. It really didn't look fun at all.

I enjoyed the Nintendo conference because it was entertaining, they didn't announce anything I particularly care about but they always do something silly and amusing and Muppets were a fun surprise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Hahaha gently caress off dude. People loved the hell out of the Metroid Prime series and while a lot of people would love to see another Super Metroid, the bigger problem is that they want a return to form after the mess that was Other M. Fans are worried that the series is going in a bad direction, and a game where you don't play as Samus is not going to reassure anyone.

People were middlingly happy with Hunters, and Pinball was, well, a pinball game so no one cared. That was when Nintendo was putting out fun Metroid games though.

I know people liked Metroid Prime, I did too.
But lets boil this down for a second. You're mad because Nintendo is making a handheld game that happens to have the Metroid Prime name.
I mean obviously in an ideal world you'd have them greenlight a new Metroid Prime right away.

But can we at least admit that Federation Force has nothing to do with Metroid Prime getting made or not getting made? Its not like you'd want whoever is doing Federation Force to do the next Metroid Prime, right? I mean you just said that you're upset because they DID give you another Metroid Prime and it was lovely. Other M. (I know, it was) So forcing another entry would just give you another lovely Other M. You need somebody who really cares to craft another good Metroid Prime, not crank it out. That takes time. For all you know, they're doing that literally right now. Nintendo didn't talk about any games that were more than a year away. How silly would that be if they actually are making a Metroid Prime for WiiU and you're sitting here yelling at Federation Force? And even if they aren't making it right now, again, if they just shat out another Other M you'd be just as upset. So maybe realize that you're kinda demanding a lot here?

How dare Nintendo not make a sequel to the game series that I like sooner! Like, play more Metroid Prime if you're such a fan, otherwise chill out for a year or two, sorry dude.

I get that you want more Metroidvanias. I get that you want more Metroid Prime. I just don't see what Federation Force has to do with the price of tea in china. And it looks like a nifty little game for what it is, pretty much the same thing I got from Prime Hunters, a DS/3DS portable game where you can shoot your friends, because there's not exactly a ton of FPS for 3DS.

Ignite Memories posted:

All I know is, there aren't enough vanias.

Transexual Transylvania

pienipple posted:

They played Blast Ball without revealing that it's a Metroid game for one stage of the Nintendo World Championship. It really didn't look fun at all.

I enjoyed the Nintendo conference because it was entertaining, they didn't announce anything I particularly care about but they always do something silly and amusing and Muppets were a fun surprise.

Blast Ball is just a bonus little minigame they're including in Federation Force because its a cute little kids game to have fun with. Its not supposed to have anything to do with Metroid. Federation Force has some to do with metroid; you're blasting space pirates with ice beams and poo poo.

Are you guys really trying to argue that spinoffs shouldn't be allowed or something? I just don't get it.

The muppets were great, yeah.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pienipple posted:

Anyone who didn't like the puppets are some weird jerk. Seeing Square Enix follow that with a dull, rote press conference was the pits.

Except the Nier 2 announcement, of course.

Zaphod42 posted:

But lets boil this down for a second. You're mad because Nintendo is making a handheld game that happens to have the Metroid Prime name.

Do you even realize I was the guy you agreed with when you started on this weirdly aggressive attack on Metroid fans?

I don't think the game should be loving cancelled or anything, I just think it was a Dumb Move in Marketing.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Jun 19, 2015

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Len posted:

Does Amazon using UPS Surepost count? Because holy poo poo I hate when things go Surepost. I have a PO Box so in order to get things shipped with prime I have to use my houses physical address which isn't a problem UPS delivers to me. But when it goes Surepost and switches to USPS it ends up at the PO Box. Since I'm at work the entire time people are there during the week I can't get it until Saturday which defeats the point of having Amazon Prime.

This was the most aggravating poo poo at my old apartment building. Any Sunday delivery came via USPS.

USPS has the access code to get in the front door of the building, but every single time I had something coming on Sunday I'd get a note on the front door saying "no access". What the hell.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you guys really trying to argue that spinoffs shouldn't be allowed or something? I just don't get it.

They know what people want, and they're giving them something different than what they want. It's really quite simple.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I don't think the game should be loving cancelled or anything, I just think it was a Dumb Move in Marketing.

This

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Bobby Digital posted:

This was the most aggravating poo poo at my old apartment building. Any Sunday delivery came via USPS.

USPS has the access code to get in the front door of the building, but every single time I had something coming on Sunday I'd get a note on the front door saying "no access". What the hell.

Count me in the 'I hate loving SurePost camp." If you go to the amazon.com forums, you'll see several megathreads of customers screaming at Amazon to stop using SurePost and other megathreads of customers begging Amazon to allow them the option to opt out of having certain companies deliver their orders. Also, I found this somewhat related article by Wired:

Delivery Drivers Can Now Leave Packages in Your Parked Audi

quote:

Audi, Amazon and shipper DHL have partnered up to allow delivery drivers to put parcels right in your car—as long as it’s an Audi, and parked at your house.
:stare:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Don't argue with Zaphod42, he's a noted shitlord idiot poster in the games forum and nobody likes him.

Is there some kind of universal key with which they open your car? Sounds like an easy way to get lawsuits like crazy because a delivery person took something from a customer's car.

edit: oh you enter a code or something that temporarily unlocks it. still if you aren't completely aware they are there they can sneak something from your trunk. sounds like a bad idea.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Digital posted:

To throw a bone to the devil's advocate, but just because one driver has the code, not all of them do. There were many times I'd try to deliver a package, only to meet with a gate, and when I called the center who was sending the order, they'd snap that "the other driver knows the code." Well that's poo poo and pancakes because I DON'T. So the package would be a day late, the center would get screamed at by the customer, and I'd be sitting there wishing people shipped poo poo to their work instead.

The Audi thing is...weird. It seems like an Onion thing. Though it does remind me of how I never let anyone do detail car poo poo when I take my car to the wash: there are dozens of signs saying that anything you leave in your car, well, take your valuables. Why not just say the people will steal your poo poo?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Audi thing is...weird. It seems like an Onion thing. Though it does remind me of how I never let anyone do detail car poo poo when I take my car to the wash: there are dozens of signs saying that anything you leave in your car, well, take your valuables. Why not just say the people will steal your poo poo?

The car wash thing I get, they just want to deny liability in case some jackass does steal your poo poo. They obviously don't want to come out and say someone can get away with it if you leave something good in your car, but they need to cover themselves in case it happens.

The Audi thing is much more hosed up. It implies there's some universal method to get into any Audi, or at the very least there is some way to look up some code to get into any given vehicle. If Amazon can access it and give it to yet another company, it's only a matter of time before somebody uses it for crime.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yo all I said was that the gameplay they've shown (the Blast Ball part) did not look like it was fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pienipple posted:

Yo all I said was that the gameplay they've shown (the Blast Ball part) did not look like it was fun.

They showed gameplay of the main game too? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu3Xe1uUUg

I guess you saw some Treehouse clip where they were just playing Blast Ball? The main Nintendo conference definitely focused on the other half of the game.

4-player co-op missions. Its Metroid Prime Firefight + Griffball.

What was? Showing it as part of their conference? Or its a dumb move to make it but since they've already started they shouldn't cancel it?
I'm trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.

Like if they'd made it but not put it in the video then would it be fine? That seems weird to make a game and not put that in your conference about games. Would you prefer if there was a warning first, "Hey, there's no proper metroid prime ready yet, this next game is just a side thing" ?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jun 20, 2015

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

They showed gameplay of the main game too? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu3Xe1uUUg

I guess you saw some Treehouse clip where they were just playing Blast Ball? The main Nintendo conference definitely focused on the other half of the game.

4-player co-op missions. Its Metroid Prime Firefight + Griffball.

What was? Showing it as part of their conference? Or its a dumb move to make it but since they've already started they shouldn't cancel it?
I'm trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.

Oh, that's the game everyone's been talking about?
I can see why people would be angry, if only because unlike Four Swords, you're not even playing as Samus, but some random nobodies. It kind of looks like a game that just has the Metroid Prime label attached to it for some reason.

e: To be clear, it could be fun, but it looks more like "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" than Metroid, especially Prime.

Postal Parcel has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Jun 20, 2015

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I got home from work and was like "oh boy 40 new posts in the Marketing thread" and then it was five posts of content and 35 increasingly-long video game pissing contests. Shut the gently caress up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sorry for discussing this large recent marketing event which generated a lot of controversy. What did you want to talk about?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

walrusman posted:

I got home from work and was like "oh boy 40 new posts in the Marketing thread" and then it was five posts of content and 35 increasingly-long video game pissing contests. Shut the gently caress up.

GUYS DID I TELL YOU ABOUT HOW UPSET I AM ABOUT A LACK OF CONTENT

SO I AM GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT A LACK OF CONTENT INSTEAD OF POSTING CONTENT

:shepface:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Audi thing is much more hosed up. It implies there's some universal method to get into any Audi
Be a mechanic, wait a couple months.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I still don't get why the internet's up in arms about Nintendo's conference. It was directly followed up by the loving Square-Enix conference, which was worse in EVERY way. Their headlining games were all stuff they'd already announced and had nothing new to show, and their new games had nothing more than concept art to put forward. And it was all presented in boring as poo poo ways.

In contrast, pretty much everything in the Nintendo conference ranged from 'awesome' down to 'might be fun, maybe', with most of it being fairly new information.

Yeah, square lucked out in following Nintendo.

Edit: OMG if this Metroid derail continues, I'm gonna start giving you regular updates about my wife's opinions on video game news. Nintendo underwhelmed, fanboys overreacted. Simple as that.

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jun 20, 2015

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Even with Nick Cage's endless debt and insatiable need to create more, he's never elected to be in such an embarrassing film.

I will never forgive Nick for ghost rider.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Apparently Pizza Hut's relaunch didn't go so well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The car wash thing I get, they just want to deny liability in case some jackass does steal your poo poo. They obviously don't want to come out and say someone can get away with it if you leave something good in your car, but they need to cover themselves in case it happens.

The Audi thing is much more hosed up. It implies there's some universal method to get into any Audi, or at the very least there is some way to look up some code to get into any given vehicle. If Amazon can access it and give it to yet another company, it's only a matter of time before somebody uses it for crime.

See the 'universal access to audis' thing wasn't where I went with that story (I never leave anything anyone would want to steal in my car anyway). Where I went was 'scope out someone who gets a lot of delivery attempts whilst they're not at home, park your audi in their drive, profit'...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I remember the GBS thread when the new hip Pizza Hut launched. It was mind-bogglingly stupid and about as blatantly pandering as you could get. They even had youtube "superstars" design some signature pizzas to draw in the internet crowd.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

See the 'universal access to audis' thing wasn't where I went with that story (I never leave anything anyone would want to steal in my car anyway). Where I went was 'scope out someone who gets a lot of delivery attempts whilst they're not at home, park your audi in their drive, profit'...

Audi generates a one-time digital access code for the trunk only of the car that is linked to Amazon's account. The DHL guy then tracks the car to where it's parked (I don't think it has to be at home) and delivers the package. It would be extremely stupid to steal anything because DHL has an exact record of who accessed which cars and when.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/04/amazon-audi-and-dhl-want-to-turn-a-car-trunk-into-a-delivery-locker/

My options are basically send it home and guarantee to miss the delivery, or to the office and piss off the receptionists, so if they just dropped it off in my car that's parked outside, that would be pretty cool.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Audi generates a one-time digital access code for the trunk only of the car that is linked to Amazon's account. The DHL guy then tracks the car to where it's parked (I don't think it has to be at home) and delivers the package. It would be extremely stupid to steal anything because DHL has an exact record of who accessed which cars and when.

It's a good thing package carriers are never extremely stupid, then!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wanamingo posted:

It's a good thing package carriers are never extremely stupid, then!

To say nothing of them being digital access codes shared over the loving Internet, surely nothing can go wrong there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Someone write me a "Millennials to butts" extension

Pizza loving Hut has never been a place hip people go and it never will be. Their core demographic doesn't want Peruvian cherry peppers and artisanal crusts, they want greasy fuckin' pizza and breadsticks and to not have to do any dishes.

Ever seen an investment banker at a Pizza Hut? No, but I'll tell you what you have seen at Pizza loving Hut: toddlers running around screaming and hitting things with sauce-covered breadsticks, children in high chairs with roni slices just out of their reach while Mom stuffs her face and Dad finishes his second pitcher of cheap beer, belching loudly and bitching about the union rep at the plant the whole time, filthy floors, booths, and tables, out-of-date lighting and decor, and bathrooms that wouldn't look out-of-place at a disused NYC subway terminal.

Pizza loving Hut is where you go to take little Billy out to eat as a reward for doing really well in his position as safety for the jr. high football team that night. No hipster Millennial is thinking "I could really go for a unique artisanal slice right now, and only one place in town is classy enough to offer Peruvian cherry peppers. Let's call Pizza loving Hut," it's a place you stop to stuff your faces after little Sandy's tumbling recital ran way too late and you don't want to be up all night doing dishes. It's a place you stumble into for drunk food and pitchers of beer on your way back from seeing American Sniper for the fifth time at the local theater, where you and your buddies smuggled in flasks of cheap vodka to add to your Mtn Dews.

Their breadsticks are ok though

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
Dude is angry about Pizza Hut

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He's just telling it like it is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Pizza loving Hut has never been a place hip people go and it never will be. Their core demographic doesn't want Peruvian cherry peppers and artisanal crusts, they want greasy fuckin' pizza and breadsticks and to not have to do any dishes.

Ever seen an investment banker at a Pizza Hut? No, but I'll tell you what you have seen at Pizza loving Hut: toddlers running around screaming and hitting things with sauce-covered breadsticks, children in high chairs with roni slices just out of their reach while Mom stuffs her face and Dad finishes his second pitcher of cheap beer, belching loudly and bitching about the union rep at the plant the whole time, filthy floors, booths, and tables, out-of-date lighting and decor, and bathrooms that wouldn't look out-of-place at a disused NYC subway terminal.

Pizza loving Hut is where you go to take little Billy out to eat as a reward for doing really well in his position as safety for the jr. high football team that night. No hipster Millennial is thinking "I could really go for a unique artisanal slice right now, and only one place in town is classy enough to offer Peruvian cherry peppers. Let's call Pizza loving Hut," it's a place you stop to stuff your faces after little Sandy's tumbling recital ran way too late and you don't want to be up all night doing dishes. It's a place you stumble into for drunk food and pitchers of beer on your way back from seeing American Sniper for the fifth time at the local theater, where you and your buddies smuggled in flasks of cheap vodka to add to your Mtn Dews.

Their breadsticks are ok though

poo poo most pizza huts around me don't even have an inside. It's a place where you pick up your pizza and leave.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The REAL mistake is assuming that "millennials" (i.e. "not people old enough / financially secure enough to be marketing directors") have enough money to respond to stupid "premium" marketing in the first place.

No "millennial" is gonna pay $20 for a chain pizza, because none of the "millennials" your company pays to assemble said pizzas make close to $20/hour.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Will this do?

OutsideAngel posted:

The REAL mistake is assuming that "millennials" (i.e. "not people old enough / financially secure enough to be marketing directors") have enough money to respond to stupid "premium" marketing in the first place.

No "millennial" is gonna pay $20 for a chain pizza, because none of the "millennials" your company pays to assemble said pizzas make close to $20/hour.

Millennials actually loving love premium stuff, it's one of the few aspects of the generation that isn't a bunch of horseshit that changes from study to study. The problem is:

• They don't actually care about the artisan ingredients, they care about the artisan experience. They'll go way out of their way to eat at a hole-in-the wall that serves up octopus testicles grilled in peach barbecue sauce, but they don't give a gently caress when a major chain offers the same thing. They're not any more savvy than previous generations, but they're been exposed to so goddamn much advertising so constantly you can't really bullshit them on what your brand is really about. They've been watching your commercials since before they could speak, they know what you're all about.

• As you mentioned, the money thing. Costco just became the biggest organic retailer in the country, the first time a company ever beat out Whole Foods, because Millennials go gaga for organic but they can't afford it. Kroger's not too far behind with its own private label organic offerings (and is also estimated to be right behind/a bit ahead of Whole Foods), though there aren't any Krogers by me so I can't compare beyond what I read at work (studies that don't compare prices, just sales). Costco, and to a lesser extent places like Kroger and Trader Joe's, offer the organic label without making you pay twice what you would for the regular stuff elsewhere. poo poo, there' organic dollar store brands popping up.

• Millennials hate being patronized. They love interacting with brands on social media, they love buying into your loyalty program, they hate it when you try to market to them directly. They know executives didn't spontaneously decide they love YouTube stars, or that McDonald's now cares about health. It's like that joke every 90s sitcom had, where the dad puts on a backwards baseball cap and tries to "rap" with his kid.

• As I mentioned before, marketers have cast their net way, way too wide for the Millennial generation. There's been so much economic upheaval in the past 20+ years that you'd need to split Millennials into at least three separate categories to to get any decent metrics, what with the tech boom of the 90s, the Great Recession, and the depressed job market making huge differences in income for people who entered the work force just a few years apart. The only thing they all have in common is crippling college debt and how they're less well off than their parents, but the extent of those varies a ton.

Big Mad Drongo has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Jun 20, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The idea of millennial and the difficulty in advertising has come up a few times, but what it always boils down to is the people making the big business decisions are so far removed from the culture and understanding that even the "young hip people" that work for them just push the broadest most media heavy thing possible and no one in power really knows what will or will not work.

Pizza Hut really dropped the ball, hard, and there are plenty of examples in the last 5 years of very similar strategies being tried and failing, but no one is seriously trying to understand what is going on and why the previous 50-75 years of marketing research is no longer valid. I can just imagine the youngish ad guys pitching their "gourmet ingredients! sauce drizzles! hit that crust edge with a BLAST OF FLAVOR! YOUTUBE CELEBS MAKING THEIR SIGNATURE PIZZAS!" and everyone over the age of 40 just nods and agrees because it sounds exactly like what everyone thinks millennials want.

Even banks have this problem. There's this huge push to making everything online, swipe your card or even your phone to pay (the idea of convenience is a huge draw, but security is a massive problem), but some young people and even older tech people hate it. My dad gets seriously pissed of when he gets repeatedly asked about switching to online banking he'll snap and start talking louder and louder berating the clerk and rattling off various types of security encryption that the bank doesn't use and how insisting that he should manage his accounts solely online is borderline negligent given how many massive data breaches occur each year. Usually a manager will rush over and take over to complete the transaction and not try to push any of their new products/services.

Last time I went into a bank and had to sit down with a clerk to get a new debit card he tried to sell me on BoA's #1 rated IT security and I just mentioned how my Diablo 3 account was more secure then my online bank accounts and why can't I sign up for a authenticator for my online banking services.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Big Mad Drongo posted:

[*]Millennials hate being patronized. They love interacting with brands on social media, they love buying into your loyalty program, they hate it when you try to market to them directly. They know executives didn't spontaneously decide they love YouTube stars, or that McDonald's now cares about health. It's like that joke every 90s sitcom had, where the dad puts on a backwards baseball cap and tries to "rap" with his kid.

On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ir91dnwN1g

Advert for the Toyota Aygo in the UK, starring 'Rahat' who is apparently an 'internet prankster'. Maybe I'm just not down with the kids but do people really know enough about the YouTube channels they're subscribed to to actually be able to recognise someone like Rahat by name? Does anyone actually care that Rahat is an 'internet prankster', which is a pretty thinly veiled way of saying 'YouTube superstar'? The concept of the advert is actually a reasonably good one in that it's got a guy doing something fun which will make you associate Aygo = Fun, without actually telling you a single thing about the car. So if that's what they're aiming for that's fine, but then they stick the 'internet prankster' bit on the front as if to say "Hey guys we're cool, we know what YouTube is!".

I mean Toyotas here have always been marketed as sensible family cars for sensible people. They're Hondas for people with mortgages. They do small cars but these are considered a familys second car, or possibly a third which is given to the oldest child because the fuel economy is cheap and the insurance group is low. But this Aygo thing is marketed towards... young professionals? Hipsters? Me?!

This is on their website:

None of these people would be smiling. They'd be thinking I'm in a Toyota.

Then of course the end of the ad is "Go Fun Yourself" which is pretty obviously a play on the phrase "Go gently caress yourself". We swear a lot here and for outsiders it's very difficult to tell if we're swearing in a positive or negative way (i.e. bollocks being bad, dogs bollocks being good). Well "go gently caress yourself" is always, no matter the context, on the negative end of the spectrum.

Although maybe getting me worked up about this was all part of their plan.... :tinfoil:

duckmaster has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm laughing so hard at Pizza Hut failure they had exactly ONE thing they needed to do: deliver medium one or two topping pizzas cheaper than Domino's. You can get them for $12 from Domino's, just price match that poo poo and bombard you with "Do you want a 2L of [novelty soda to push onto customers] for only $2.00 more?" And they would rack in the millenial crowd overnight without pandering to them.

Domino's is now trying a rebranding as well, but they're focusing on making carryout more appealing with cheap large pizzas, so dropping "Pizza" from "Domino's Pizza" seems less stupid. A good idea balanced out a terrible one.