Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Mindblast posted:

Kholat is out and the reviews are interesting. Destructoid reads positive throughout, only ending with a lower score than you'd expect mainly due to there being zero reason to replay it. It runs on UE4 and looks really nice. Could be a good experience.

Kholat is about exploring a snowy mountainous region to discover what caused the deaths of nine russians who died on a mountain slope due to unknown reasons. Basically evidence suggested they cut themselves out of their tent in a panic and just ran off, only to be found dead hundreds of meters further. Save a few, who were found with a cracked skull and a missing tongue, no injuries were found on them.

This actual real event is the base for the game's story. You, narrated by Sean Bean, walk about with a map and compass to piece about what happened. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

Honestly, watch someone play through it and you get the same experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Except in that way the people who made it make absolutely no money and it seems like a pretty neat experience.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Leper Residue posted:

Dreadout is now less than 4 dollars , and it has a new patch. People should buy it.

No idea about the textures, never really cared about that stuff.

I care that the game designers intentionally crippled their product, taking away something that kickstarter backers funded the creation of, and people then paid for when they bought the game. I care that they're totally silent about it, while still releasing patches for other parts of the game. I care that they're still using screenshots from the high-quality textures even though they've made sure the game doesn't look that good for players.

Don't give these people your money, we shouldn't encourage this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jim Sterling made a pretty good case for Bloodborne to count as Survival Horror. Certainly there's an enormous amount of disturbing material to unearth and you never really feel like an overpowered badass.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

Jim Sterling made a pretty good case for Bloodborne to count as Survival Horror. Certainly there's an enormous amount of disturbing material to unearth and you never really feel like an overpowered badass.

it's easy to over level in that game, healing resources are infinitely farmable, and weapon durability is a non issue.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
New Soma trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MN8gw6S4kM

A horror game where the antagonist has a sunny, cheery disposition, unnerves me. It is a conflict where negotiations are possible, negotiations have likely been attempted, and they have broken down utterly. You are not pursued by mindless hostility, but psychopathic malice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They're being pretty good at keeping the whatever-it-is that's chasing you in Soma vague. All we see is a bunch of lights attached to something loud and clanky.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Except in that way the people who made it make absolutely no money and it seems like a pretty neat experience.

The risk of having 0 gameplay games is youtube is now your #1 source of piracy.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Another good candidate for that: Amnesia A Machine For Pigs

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Normal Adult Human posted:

The risk of having 0 gameplay games is youtube is now your #1 source of piracy.

Yeah even though they're a relatively new thing, I'm already really tired of "indie note-reading simulator" games. I can think of maybe 1 worthwhile example of the genre (Gone Home) and the rest are all lazy and bad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King of Bleh posted:

Yeah even though they're a relatively new thing, I'm already really tired of "indie note-reading simulator" games. I can think of maybe 1 worthwhile example of the genre (Gone Home) and the rest are all lazy and bad.
The key is to really focus on exploration like Gone Home did so it gets you involved in unearthing the story.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Speedball posted:

They're being pretty good at keeping the whatever-it-is that's chasing you in Soma vague. All we see is a bunch of lights attached to something loud and clanky.

They did the same thing with Amnesia. Hell, the only time you could see a Gatherer before launch was if you sprinted to catch up with the one that briefly spawns in the demo.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Files are surely one of the worst things to ever happen to games. Resident Evil had that one "Itchy... Tasty" file and then everyone wanted to start cramming them in their games because oh wow we can build atmosphere by crapping out a .txt file. You either need to get lucky like Capcom did or have an actual loving writer to make those things work, and even then you shouldn't have more than one every 10 minutes or so.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zombie Samurai posted:

Files are surely one of the worst things to ever happen to games. Resident Evil had that one "Itchy... Tasty" file and then everyone wanted to start cramming them in their games because oh wow we can build atmosphere by crapping out a .txt file. You either need to get lucky like Capcom did or have an actual loving writer to make those things work, and even then you shouldn't have more than one every 10 minutes or so.
South Park: Stick of the Truth satirized this and it was hilarious.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zombie Samurai posted:

No way, it's always the best when you get a file that ends with something like "wait, what's that noise?" and then a bunch of blood on the page. Because that's what people do when they're under siege by monsters - they write in their diary even right up to the moment of death.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No way, it's always the best when you get a file that ends with something like "wait, what's that noise?" and then a bunch of blood on the page. Because that's what people do when they're under siege by monsters - they write in their diary even right up to the moment of death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfowXTXOfU&t=50s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

1stGear posted:

They did the same thing with Amnesia. Hell, the only time you could see a Gatherer before launch was if you sprinted to catch up with the one that briefly spawns in the demo.

Maybe Soma will get a physical release where they print fleshy robot light mass on the front cover.

Zombie Samurai posted:

It amazes me that Alone in the Dark was basically the progenitor to almost every survival horror trope but none of the early, influential ones bothered to copy the way it handled files. They were fully voiced and their backdrop was in the form that they were written on instead of white text on black background with blurry image that Resident Evil and Silent Hill used. They were System Shock's audio logs before System Shock.

e: It also blows my mind that so few survival horror games copied AotD's ability to just drop items. We're still putting up with item boxes in some games like what the gently caress???

e2: I understand item boxes as a means of convenience but you can't tell me the PS1 and PS2 lacked the RAM for saving item states?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 20, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this is what killed the haunted hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade, it was all SO good until that journal that ends with something like "Oh no here he comes, someone help m--"

Like, come on, it was SO good before and after that, but that one journal ripped me right out of it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zombie Samurai posted:

Except possibly for Bloodborne, they aren't really horror games, but I liked the way the Souls games do loredumps. It's all attached to item descriptions, so if you're interested in the lore, you can seek it out there, and if you're not interested, you still get rewarded for exploring with a new weapon or item.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Something I've never seen, not even in movies, is the journal trope showing physical damage from a sudden abduction. It could be bloody but it's never torn or has a pen mark trailing across the page. The monsters are always kind enough to let you finish with elipses or a dash or posting on a message board before they eat you.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Except possibly for Bloodborne, they aren't really horror games, but I liked the way the Souls games do loredumps. It's all attached to item descriptions, so if you're interested in the lore, you can seek it out there, and if you're not interested, you still get rewarded for exploring with a new weapon or item.

From Software is pretty good about this. King's Field has a hidden item you don't get until near the end of the game that gives you paragraphs of backstory on anyone or thing you point it at. Then when you explore the notes you realize the game is far deeper than it actually is but you can ignore all that poo poo if you want.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

From Software is pretty good about this. King's Field has a hidden item you don't get until near the end of the game that gives you paragraphs of backstory on anyone or thing you point it at. Then when you explore the notes you realize the game is far deeper than it actually is but you can ignore all that poo poo if you want.

To expand on this, there is an entire area in King's Field 2 that is optional but exists to make people who played king's field 1 go "holy poo poo" as far as plot twists go, and King's Field 3 does something similar but to not as much of a degree since by KF3 they assume the player already knows part of the twist.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Speedball posted:

If what they've been saying in their blog is true, we're in for some freaky poo poo in the latter half of the game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

al-azad posted:

Something I've never seen, not even in movies, is the journal trope showing physical damage from a sudden abduction. It could be bloody but it's never torn or has a pen mark trailing across the page. The monsters are always kind enough to let you finish with elipses or a dash or posting on a message board before they eat you.

I have seen only a small number of games do this, I wish it was standard.

The Mirror of Truth is like the coolest King's Field item. I'm glad you get it relatively early in KF2 (Japan's KF3).

Folks here would probably dig KF: The Ancient City a lot. It's similar to Demon's Souls in how it starts out with you on the edge of civilization in a typical fantasy setting but then gets gradually more Lovecraftian as you go on. The massive tower hub the titular upper parts of the Ancient City surround is one of my favorite places in any game. The reverant but chill music tracks, the way it implies such a massive scope within the systen limitations, it's great.

The coolest is how when you get low enough on it it's possible to survive the fall into the watery massive tomb below. You think an enemy or your clumsiness made you fall to your death, but no, you just fell into the second half off the game.

It also has a super Cthulhu-like area later on involving a just offshore pyramid and priests that worship snake people. Fans of Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls will appreciate this early attempt at such a place.

Also another KF series specialty, regarding story delivery, is that there's a lot not just of every conversation but of character descriptions and area descriptions/history as well. These get more detailed based on how thoroughly you explore each area.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FirstAidKite posted:

To expand on this, there is an entire area in King's Field 2 that is optional but exists to make people who played king's field 1 go "holy poo poo" as far as plot twists go, and King's Field 3 does something similar but to not as much of a degree since by KF3 they assume the player already knows part of the twist.

I assume you mean the american verision of KF1,2,3 (with 3 being the ancient city)

I need to play through the series one day.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I assume you mean the american verision of KF1,2,3 (with 3 being the ancient city)

Nope

Ancient City is unrelated to the first 3 KF games, I meant the first 3 KF games on PS1. It's a shame the US didn't get the first king's field because, while it has aged the most of the 3 ps1 king's field titles, there are more than a couple of parts of KF2 and 3 that fall flat without any knowledge of KF1

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Nope

Ancient City is unrelated to the first 3 KF games, I meant the first 3 KF games on PS1. It's a shame the US didn't get the first king's field because, while it has aged the most of the 3 ps1 king's field titles, there are more than a couple of parts of KF2 and 3 that fall flat without any knowledge of KF1

I can't remember KF 2 making any direct references other than raising interesting questions about the Moonlight Sword, but KF 3 has a part near the end of the game which straight up reuses the first floor of the dungeon from KF 1 and if I remember right, you had to explore it if you wanted the best ending.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't remember KF 2 making any direct references other than raising interesting questions about the Moonlight Sword, but KF 3 has a part near the end of the game which straight up reuses the first floor of the dungeon from KF 1 and if I remember right, you had to explore it if you wanted the best ending.

Yeah, KF3 has you go through part of KF1's first floor and part of KF1's final floor in order to meet up with the remains of Guyra in order to fix the moonlight sword iirc. It involved using the fairy fossil, which ties into what KF2 said about 1 as well. in KF1, you're visited by a fairy on the first floor and told that you are the chosen one to wield the moonlight sword and that you should journey down and defeat the source of all of the demons, a giant tree monster by the name of bed of chaos the prince. Then in King's Field 2, the moonlight sword gets stolen and you run through an island discovering its past and its relation to the moonlight sword, eventually discovering that the moonlight sword seeks out people so that Guyra may reincarnate as whoever the strongest person with the moonlight sword is. On top of that, in the final area leading up to Guyra's lair, there is a side area which is a science lab filled with test tubes containing two things. 1. Demons 2. Copies of that fairy from king's field 1. You can talk to the fairies and they try to go through the same spiel they did in the first game about chosen ones and stuff. From the beginning it was all a setup by Guyra.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Nope

It's a shame the US didn't get the first king's field because, while it has aged the most of the 3 ps1 king's field titles, there are more than a couple of parts of KF2 and 3 that fall flat without any knowledge of KF1

I wish more games did what this and the Brandish series did. Like I can't think of many game series where one of the corrupted villains setting up the sequel is the hero you played as in the previous game.

Also KF began how if you're royalty in a From game then your name starts with A. I don't think that changed until Bloodborne.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 20, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I wish more games did what this and the Brandish series did. Like I can't think of many game series where one of the corrupted villains setting up the sequel is the hero you played as in the previous game.

Also KF began how if you're royalty in a From game then your name starts with A. I don't think that changed until Bloodborne.

Not quite. The protagonist of the first game is called Jean Alfred Forrester but from King's Field 2 onwards he became known as King Alfred.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, KF3 has you go through part of KF1's first floor and part of KF1's final floor in order to meet up with the remains of Guyra in order to fix the moonlight sword iirc. It involved using the fairy fossil, which ties into what KF2 said about 1 as well. in KF1, you're visited by a fairy on the first floor and told that you are the chosen one to wield the moonlight sword and that you should journey down and defeat the source of all of the demons, a giant tree monster by the name of bed of chaos the prince. Then in King's Field 2, the moonlight sword gets stolen and you run through an island discovering its past and its relation to the moonlight sword, eventually discovering that the moonlight sword seeks out people so that Guyra may reincarnate as whoever the strongest person with the moonlight sword is. On top of that, in the final area leading up to Guyra's lair, there is a side area which is a science lab filled with test tubes containing two things. 1. Demons 2. Copies of that fairy from king's field 1. You can talk to the fairies and they try to go through the same spiel they did in the first game about chosen ones and stuff. From the beginning it was all a setup by Guyra.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent, informative LP of the King's Field games + Shadow Tower. I played them a while back but I'm not sure I could revisit them myself given how slow and clunky they are but I would still like to see the games again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd like to see a future souls game do what King's Field 2 did and end the game with the player entering into a tron world that just completely clashes with the rest of the world as an example of how powerful the god is that it straight up has a pocket dimension filled with cyber techno demons

e: it's also pretty neat seeing some of the concepts of later souls games in their rough prototype stages in the king's field games, such as seath the feathered white dragon, guyra the one-eyed black dragon, the plots and plot progression, some enemy/boss designs, some backstory elements getting reused and changed, stuff like that. I mean, there's no way in hell the spiderlady boss in dark souls wasn't at least inspired a little bit by the spiderlady enemies in king's field 2, specifically the one that would infinitely respawn out of the lava she stood on until you took out the source of the lava.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not quite. The protagonist of the first game is called Jean Alfred Forrester but from King's Field 2 onwards he became known as King Alfred.

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent, informative LP of the King's Field games + Shadow Tower. I played them a while back but I'm not sure I could revisit them myself given how slow and clunky they are but I would still like to see the games again.

I'm in the same boat. That would be pretty great.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Finally got around to playing Silent Hill Homecoming. I don't hate it, like, I watched Harshly Critical play through Origins and I'm like this game just looks like annoying poo poo, but oh my god is Homecoming unnecessarily frustrating. Whos idea was it to make you go nearly an hour between save points and put continue points for boss fights before unskippable cut scenes?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I just got reminded today: Does anyone remember an obscure platformer horror game for the PC called Nightmare Ned?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So I just got reminded today: Does anyone remember an obscure platformer horror game for the PC called Nightmare Ned?

I remember the TV show and didn't know it was based on a game until years later.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Diablo 2 did this, you have to fight all the player characters from Diablo 1 because they all went insane after beating Diablo in Tristram.

Yeah, I had it as a kid and it had a really great atmosphere and soundtrack. The disc got screwed up though and the rom I downloaded screwed up the hospital nightmare, so I haven't beaten it in a long time. I wish Disney would release on GOG because its unplayable on modern systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmHL8W2-2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CEw8JeIGfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8l6uN7GlU0

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Accordion Man posted:

Diablo 2 did this, you have to fight all the player characters from Diablo 1 because they all went insane after beating Diablo in Tristram.
Yeah, I had it as a kid and it had a really great atmosphere and soundtrack. The disc got screwed up though and the rom I downloaded screwed up the hospital nightmare, so I haven't beaten it in a long time. I wish Disney would release on GOG because its unplayable on modern systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmHL8W2-2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CEw8JeIGfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8l6uN7GlU0

Good luck on that. They've basically swept the game and show under a rug.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's because he's not royalty during game but rather the son of the king's most trusted commander (Hauser Forrester). Note how he's only referred to as Alfred upon becoming king throughout KF2/3. :D

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The hero of Dark Souls 1 is also implied to have become the king of Dark Souls 2, the large lumbering brain-dead guy that you can watch stumble around in circles, attacking only if you attack him. He's not the villain, but it's his corrupted actions that have brought the land to ruin, though they were certainly influenced.

All this talk of King's Field kind of makes me want to try it. How long are the games to play through?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The hero of Dark Souls 1 is also implied to have become the king of Dark Souls 2, the large lumbering brain-dead guy that you can watch stumble around in circles, attacking only if you attack him. He's not the villain, but it's his corrupted actions that have brought the land to ruin, though they were certainly influenced.

All this talk of King's Field kind of makes me want to try it. How long are the games to play through?

Uh... huh?

The hero of Dark Souls 1 is long gone by the time of Dark Souls 2. Vendrick is a completely different person, who was corrupted by Nashandra, who is a fragment of Manus. So he's more of a parallel to Artorias than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It kind of depends on how much you like to explore and grind. The site owner disappeared and it doesn't really "work" but if you look up https://www.kings-field.com on archive.org it has great maps to work with, even for the first one which you can get on the Japanese PSN. Gamefaqs has full walkthroughs for all of them as well.

One thing is that the difficulty for all of them starts out pretty high and then drastically decreases as you get further in. So if you were to grind for a little bit at the beginning it can be relatively smooth sailing. The original has aged the most by today's standards but it's still fun to blow through for me because of the music and the inadvertently weird and atmospheric labyrinth due to system limitations.

Also worth playing because KF2 (what we got as KF1 here) came out less than a year later and is massive improvement in every way, it's crazy. KF2 is also notable for being a 3D game with room over room, polygonal terrain/etc. released on the PSX half a year before Quake came out on PC.

KF1 was, I have to research this a little more, but I think KF1 was the not just one of the first PSX games, but literally THE FIRST game released on PSX. Incredible debut for From Software and it was extremely popular in Japan, causing the fast sequel. When King's Field: The Ancient City came out on PS2, there was even an awesome anthology they released in Japan (The Dark Box) that had King's Field 1/2/3/Ancient City in one package with a soundtrack CD with lots of the best tracks from the series also. The US PSX disks are unfortunately a bit expensive now has people have realized how good the games are even though they're pretty common in reality.

Sick music in all the games too. I appreciate how, uh, moody and kind of sad they are? I wouldn't mind music like this appearing in Souls games but understand the aural direction they chose to go with. They just really fit this slow cruise through decrepit ruins as you learn more about the world's history. It's a cool departure from the sound most people would associate with a fantasy dungeon crawler today, even if it wasn't as unique when it was new (two excellent old western first person crawlers, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet, as an example have a similar drive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLmRB-JSTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34io5wf5kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzDjI2skYk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0KrJP1LcK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOxtqwoKkAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0qKMX-4-a8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxgCGbdRr0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psXerba0Ke0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTS6NMTqQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTFZmCmQKjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xru_DcNd0t0

Something I love about The Ancient City is how, despite the room size limitations and stuff, it does an incredible job of creating the impression that you're going REALLY far underground. It some outdoor areas, and the way the music and the very basic light lighting and stuff shifts are you go say really far down and then climb up really far only to suddenly be outside in sunlight for a bit is really well executed. It also has the chillest music of From's fantasy adventure games.

I really hate that a ton of From stuff has been available on the PS3 in Japan forever but it's only very recently that we've gotten anything, yet no King's Field. These games would probably find a bigger audience in the US now than they did when they were new as people are more open to first person games where you stalk and creep around exploring again after many years of first person games being assumed to be trash if they're not clones of Quake III Arena or Call of Duty.