Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

syscall girl posted:

they were gonna use dban to wipe pied piper (startup ip) on the last ep of Silicon Valley

after a lot of gags they finally pulled the trigger and it failed to execute

at one of my old jobs they laid off the whole engineering department and they were gonna ship all the h/w to the US so i made a pxeboot server that served DBAN over the network so employees could secure wipe their pc's

they were pretty pissed about that at corporate lol

gently caress em, all the work stuff was in source control anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

spankmeister posted:

a pxeboot server that served DBAN over the network so employees could secure wipe their pc's

:eyepop:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
owns

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

at one of my old jobs they laid off the whole engineering department and they were gonna ship all the h/w to the US so i made a pxeboot server that served DBAN over the network so employees could secure wipe their pc's

they were pretty pissed about that at corporate lol

gently caress em, all the work stuff was in source control anyway

That's awesome. Wanna set up that honeypot.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
if a backend server returns 504 when using nginx, is it possible to just have it auto-retry? so the user never sees the 504

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 20, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Maximum Leader posted:

if a backend server returns 504 when using nginx, is it possible to just have it auto-retry? so the user never sees the 504

enjoy your hilariously awful debugging when this goes wrong and someone rightfully throws you out a window

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

syscall girl posted:

they were gonna use dban to wipe pied piper (startup ip) on the last ep of Silicon Valley

after a lot of gags they finally pulled the trigger and it failed to execute

They used a mouse click to activate the delete but DBAN is a TUI and doesn't use a mouse :reject:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

They used a mouse click to activate the delete but DBAN is a TUI and doesn't use a mouse :reject:

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ahmeni posted:

enjoy your hilariously awful debugging when this goes wrong and someone rightfully throws you out a window over and over again

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ahmeni posted:

enjoy your hilariously awful debugging when this goes wrong and someone rightfully throws you out a window

make sure you've got try catches stacked like 3 deep prior to swallowing the error for the full experience

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stringent posted:

make sure you've got try catches stacked like 3 deep prior to swallowing the error for the full experience

also don't forget to copy and paste the logging lines into all the catch blocks, so when DoWaddle fails you have a log message pointing at DoWiggle

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I have an old 2003 box with a scsi2 adaptec interface running old scada poo poo that is finally up for an upgrade. the new platform is virtualized and to get around the scsi interface limitations they're slapping a COM to IP bridge on the aux com port and dumping scsi. But the com port maxes out 19.2baud and obviously scsi2 can support way more than that so the operations guys are freaking out because they have absolutely no idea how much data actually flows over that link. I'm poking around in the perf monitor to find something that will tell me raw throughput on the scsi link of the existing systems but nothing is jumping out at me. Am I missing it or are there 3rd party tools I should be looking at to figure out how much bandwidth I actually need?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I used google's tool to download an archive copy of one of my gmail accounts. I received a tar.bz2 roughly 3GB in size. The tar extracts to a bit over 4GB. Inside the tar is only a 600MB file, which contains only a portion of my emails. anyone know what the HECK is going on here?

edit: problem solved lol don't use windows

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 24, 2015

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ahmeni posted:

this would have been a perfect time to use the word defenestrate which you never get to use normally
and you missed it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
trying to track down an amd gpu driver BSOD so i ran furmark. after a short time of running it the lights in this room started dimming repeatedly (dim-full-dim-full etc). is this something i should be worried about, and is there any way to fix it that doesn't involve an electrician

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

trying to track down an amd gpu driver BSOD so i ran furmark. after a short time of running it the lights in this room started dimming repeatedly (dim-full-dim-full etc). is this something i should be worried about, and is there any way to fix it that doesn't involve an electrician

Buy a better psu

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buy an NVIDIA card

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

spankmeister posted:

Buy a better psu

or try a different outlet, that shouldn't be happening

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

no

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

that means your in-wall wiring is a bunch of twist-ties

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

call a priest

a bishop if you start seeing blood/hearing growling

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so when my MBP restarts (which is rare since it's a fine machine) the only user accounts to appear are mine and the guest. no other accounts appear on the startup screen. I usually have to log in and out for the other accounts to appear. I think this is a recent change and can find no configuration to change this. anyone else have this issue?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is there a known problem with iphone 5s and rebooting when connecting to a wifi network? mine started doing this with my home network yesterday, it stopped when i turned off the wifi on the phone.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
both are working as intended

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

is there a known problem with iphone 5s and rebooting when connecting to a wifi network? mine started doing this with my home network yesterday, it stopped when i turned off the wifi on the phone.

are you on t-mobile by chance? just saw this earlier today

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
you both must be using you're apple(r) tm products wrong, because they actually just work (c)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

are you on t-mobile by chance? just saw this earlier today

yeah that's exactly it actually. Lol I'm guessing since only tmo is affected it must be an issue with Wi-Fi calling. come to think of it the other day I couldn't make phone calls until I turned off wifi, might be related. apple implemented voip so poorly it can crash the entire os

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

BeOSPOS posted:

so when my MBP restarts (which is rare since it's a fine machine) the only user accounts to appear are mine and the guest. no other accounts appear on the startup screen. I usually have to log in and out for the other accounts to appear. I think this is a recent change and can find no configuration to change this. anyone else have this issue?

you have filevault turned on and didn't enable the other accounts' passwords to unlock the disk.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
whats the easiest way to p2v a macbook to run virtually on an imac

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

apparently

quote:

1) Clone the laptop to an external USB disk (I like carbon copy cloner, others use super duper)
2) Create a new OSX VM (with appropriate licensed versions of the OS)
3) During the installation process, when prompted to migrate your information, plug in the USB drive and choose 'from another drive'

That will migrate all the information off the clone into the new VM.

but i just spent 10 secs. maybe there is something like vmware convertor

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

overly clever osx program names are a little irritating. "chicken of the vnc" umm ok.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

apparently

but i just spent 10 secs

yeah its oddly specific w/ versions and idk if newer more relevant results are nerfed and just wondering if theres One True Way

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

overly clever osx program names are a little irritating. "chicken of the vnc" umm ok.

there used to be a remote control program for itunes called "iHam on iRye"

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

there used to be a remote control program for itunes called "iHam on iRye"

there is a hair salon near here called Curl up and Dye

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

near my place we have "a tan for all seasons" and "the merchant of tennis"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Broken Machine posted:

there is a hair salon near here called Curl up and Dye

:black101:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
like i wish i still had hair so i could go there

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

"the merchant of tennis"
this one is good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
posting so i can namesearch this thread to see if i have asked thing before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

graph posted:

whats the easiest way to p2v a macbook to run virtually on an imac

im not sure what you mean by p2v but if you just want to run the macbook's install in a vm you can literally just run it off the disk (or clone it into a disk image) via target disk mode. you dont need to migrate anything, an os x install will run off of any guid hfs+ partition