Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it just feels nicer, that's great. But I don't think more nuanced force really effects one's ability to recover from a slide, all you need is a little bit of nudge to tell you the back end just broke free and muscle reaction takes over.

Especially for the prices that gear demands, the Accuforce and Bodnar stuff gets into "you know, I should just buy a real track car at this point" territory.

The only reason I drive sims is because I can't afford the real thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think it's one of those things where I would have to try the wheels myself to be able to really understand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will totally agree with them about the feel of the wheel getting better. I've never used a DD wheel but I have a CSW v2 upgraded from a CSR. I was definitely able to catch slides a lot easier and felt details. I'm sure there are diminishing returns as you get further into crazy expensive wheels but stepping up into a wheel like this is worth it.

When you're going into a slide, the front tires want to keep going forward so they will attempt to turn the steering wheel so they can be facing their direction of travel. You can go into the slide, loosen the grip on the wheel and let the tires do their thing and then you grab the wheel and bring it back straight when you're heading the direction you want to go. A real car does this. With a less powerful wheel, it tries to turn to go where the tires want to go but your arms are much more powerful and it stays where you want it. The front tires don't have as much grip as you're manhandling them to be where you want them to be. With a more powerful wheel, it can move the wheel to tell you "the tires want to be over here, let me do that."

Then the more powerful motor is able to have more fidelity with it's force feedback and vibrations and what have you. I'm able to feel all the curbs with my wheel. I don't know about feeling grass or dirt or whatever, I just feel a loss of grip and wouldn't be able to tell the difference. CSW v2 is probably the minimum you want for a strong wheel (maybe a higher end thrustmaster too). I'm a bit nervous about getting one of these DD wheels because I don't want something I need an emergency stop button for. I'm still able to overpower the CSW v2 if I really need to. Something that could easily over torque and break my hand or arm or something seems to dangerous. Especially when I'm in my rift and can't see the wheel.

In a different topic, the accuforce is a stepper motor and not a servo? After all this "fanaatec sucks, accuforce is going to be way better" crap on the iracing forums? The CSW v2 uses a servo.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 20, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
No matter I recalibrate or not, Dirt Rally is pretty much unplayable for me. Before I set my wheel to 540 degrees or whatever and it worked but now nothing feels right and soft lock does gently caress all. :smith:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Torabi posted:

No matter I recalibrate or not, Dirt Rally is pretty much unplayable for me. Before I set my wheel to 540 degrees or whatever and it worked but now nothing feels right and soft lock does gently caress all. :smith:

Then can't you just set your wheel to 540 again now? To me, 540 pre-update felt nice and easy, but soft-lock feels better and more difficult. You have to really throw a lot more wheel into it, but it feels better. I would think that you could still force your wheel into 540 in the wheel firmware or driver, depending on what wheel you have. The ffb in Dirt is still not great, as others have pointed out... So it'll feel different no matter what.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

Then can't you just set your wheel to 540 again now? To me, 540 pre-update felt nice and easy, but soft-lock feels better and more difficult. You have to really throw a lot more wheel into it, but it feels better. I would think that you could still force your wheel into 540 in the wheel firmware or driver, depending on what wheel you have. The ffb in Dirt is still not great, as others have pointed out... So it'll feel different no matter what.

I can still lock it to 540 degrees and it gets a bit better. But I thought the whole point of soft lock was that the game locks the wheels rotation for you depending on the car? Or have I misunderstood soft lock completely.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Torabi posted:

I can still lock it to 540 degrees and it gets a bit better. But I thought the whole point of soft lock was that the game locks the wheels rotation for you depending on the car? Or have I misunderstood soft lock completely.

No, that's what is supposed to happen. I've had problems with the soft lock in rFactor 2 on occasion, it's not an uncommon issue. Just to cover all bases, you're not just overpowering the wheel, right? If your ffb is high, you probably will not be able to distinguish between hard ffb and the soft lock, as they are both using all of your wheel's torque. Also, are you driving a car that is supposed to have 900° wheel rotation or a similarly high amount? Then soft lock would be working properly.

The ffb is completely different from before, so it will feel very different to drive no matter what.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

No, that's what is supposed to happen. I've had problems with the soft lock in rFactor 2 on occasion, it's not an uncommon issue. Just to cover all bases, you're not just overpowering the wheel, right? If your ffb is high, you probably will not be able to distinguish between hard ffb and the soft lock, as they are both using all of your wheel's torque. Also, are you driving a car that is supposed to have 900° wheel rotation or a similarly high amount? Then soft lock would be working properly.

The ffb is completely different from before, so it will feel very different to drive no matter what.

Driving a car that has less than 900 degrees rotation still allows me to rotate the wheel fully like usual. And cars that are 900 feel weird too, but maybe I'm just not used to them. The wheel ingame doesnt follow my wheel at least.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 20, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spicy Guacamole posted:

New Dirt Rally season is up! Events will be a little shorter and more frequent for this one so that more people make it all the way through each of them (I hope :ohdear:). Put your latex pants on, 'cause this one's gonna be slippery.

I just got Dirt Rally and instantly joined the league, how does this work? How many runs do we get, and is there a way to practice if we only get one run?

Edit: Oh I see, the shakedowns are practice runs.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Torabi posted:

Driving a car that has less than 900 degrees rotation still allows me to rotate the wheel fully like usual. And cars that are 900 feel weird too, but maybe I'm just not used to them. The wheel ingame doesnt follow my wheel at least.

Mine neither. The guy barely turns the wheel even though I can turn mine seemingly forever.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

pik_d posted:

I just got Dirt Rally and instantly joined the league, how does this work? How many runs do we get, and is there a way to practice if we only get one run?

Each season has one or more events; each event consists of one or more stages. Each event runs for a certain amount of time, during which you drive through each stage. After the event closes, everyone who finished the event is ranked and given a point score based on their place; then the next event opens. At the end of the season, points are added up and everyone is ranked accordingly!

Some events and stages may allow you to restart; this varies from league to league. We haven't been using restarts. On the league's page, at the bottom left you can see the schedule for the current season and the next season (if it has been set up yet). There you can look at each of the upcoming events, stages, and the conditions under which they will be run. It's not a bad idea to at least familiarize yourself ahead of time with the cars and stages you'll be in. You can always practice by creating a custom event for just yourself on the game's main menu.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 21, 2015

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

Mine neither. The guy barely turns the wheel even though I can turn mine seemingly forever.

If you're on a G27 click your middle two red buttons on your shifter and the 9 o'clock button (where X would be on an Xbox controller) on the face pad at the top. That will switch you to a 540 degree setup. It's the best I've found for Dirt Rally

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

pik_d posted:

Also, be sure to use the Fiat 131. (Please I'm so lonely.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pik_d posted:

Shakedowns are basically single section runs to check your setup, in a league rally you get one shot. So if you throw it over a wall on a Monaco stage or off a cliff in Greece and end up unrecoverable, it's over.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MeatloafCat posted:

I'm sorry, I wen't ford :(

njsykora posted:

Shakedowns are basically single section runs to check your setup, in a league rally you get one shot. So if you throw it over a wall on a Monaco stage or off a cliff in Greece and end up unrecoverable, it's over.

Oh well I hope the default setup is good then.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

pik_d posted:

Oh well I hope the default setup is good then.
Events will usually have service areas every few stages where you'll be able to repair your car and change your setup. You won't have the opportunity to do another shakedown, though.

MeatloafCat posted:

I think I'm switching back to the Fiat for '70s after this. I like the Ford, but I can never get used to right-hand drive and the Fiat just feels a little more planted to me.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 21, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Events will usually have service areas every few stages where you'll be able to repair your car and change your setup. You won't have the opportunity to do another shakedown, though.

I think I'm switching back to the Fiat for '70s after this. I like the Ford, but I can never get used to right-hand drive and the Fiat just feels a little more planted to me.

Well for having the game for all of 30 minutes, default setup, and a gamepad, I think I did OK. If I had known the Fiat was left hand drive (fairly obvious now that I think about it) I would have done that. Definitely gonna do that when I can switch.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Cojawfee posted:

When you're going into a slide, the front tires want to keep going forward so they will attempt to turn the steering wheel so they can be facing their direction of travel. You can go into the slide, loosen the grip on the wheel and let the tires do their thing and then you grab the wheel and bring it back straight when you're heading the direction you want to go. A real car does this.
:spergin: The reason this happens is because most cars have positive caster, not because the tyres innately resist sliding. If the game allows, try set negative caster and see if the same thing happens - I know that older cars were sometimes set up for slightly negative caster, where the steering wheel wants to turn further into your turn - this was to make steering easier in the days power steering was a luxury. Sounds dangerous but the effect was negated at speed because of the contact patch drag (the amount exhibited by the bias ply tyres of the day).

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

jonathan posted:

The animation for the driver's hands hasn't been updated for the new FFB model/increased degrees of rotation support. Just because the wheel on screen is hardly moving doesn't mean you're not getting proper steering, that wheel only turns 90 degrees regardless of what the car supports or you have your physical wheel set to. In the video by Betta Lines in that FFB update blog post he said they may not ever do that, but instead give the option to hide the hands and have just the wheel be animated 1:1.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disgustipated posted:

The animation for the driver's hands hasn't been updated for the new FFB model/increased degrees of rotation support. Just because the wheel on screen is hardly moving doesn't mean you're not getting proper steering, that wheel only turns 90 degrees regardless of what the car supports or you have your physical wheel set to. In the video by Betta Lines in that FFB update blog post he said they may not ever do that, but instead give the option to hide the hands and have just the wheel be animated 1:1.

Oh I'm aware, its just the visual reference versus my movement was throwing me off in an odd way.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fayez Butts posted:

If you're on a G27 click your middle two red buttons on your shifter and the 9 o'clock button (where X would be on an Xbox controller) on the face pad at the top. That will switch you to a 540 degree setup. It's the best I've found for Dirt Rally

I have the PlayStation branded driving force GT which is fine. The rotation and everything is good. Only issue, it doesn't self centre at the race start. So I started last night's online daily race and I didn't know the wheel was turned 360* to the left. When I started I instantly spun and got wedged against the wall banner thing.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Disgustipated posted:

Yeah but in iRacing for example, the wheel and hands still follow your wheel 1:1 until you go over 90 degrees. In Dirt Rally it doesn't follow at all. But I'll try and play around with the settings some more today.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Torabi posted:

Yeah but in iRacing for example, the wheel and hands still follow your wheel 1:1 until you go over 90 degrees. In Dirt Rally it doesn't follow at all. But I'll try and play around with the settings some more today.

It's a limitation of the graphics of the game, it does not represent what your wheel or the tires in the game are actually doing. Just ignore it, nothing you can do will change anything about that. Unless you can get your hands on the source code of the game, a programer, and an animator/3d modeler.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We were talking about Raceroom in the Project CARS thread so I'll post this here too, there's a free weekend coming up where you can try out all the content in the game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
To everybody who wants to try out R3E and not spend hours trying to figure out the FFB, here's a pretty good post from the developer explaing FFB options. The big one for me was lowering Lateral Force to about 30, as it seems to be mainly a spring force masking everything else.

Edit: Recommended cars to try out are the 190E in DTM 1992, the McLaren in the 2014 GT Masters and the Zakspeed Capri in Group 5 (although the Group 5 cars required some additional FFB adjustement for me).

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
What's up with the fov options in that game, like give me values not random multiples of something unknown

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Skwee posted:

What's up with the fov options in that game, like give me values not random multiples of something unknown

It's a multiplier for a vertical FOV of 0.58. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one and why it hasn't been changed to something sane in all this time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Skwee posted:

Yeah its the one thing I really don't like in it, since there's also no key to adjust it in the car so you're always dipping in and out of the menus.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Been driving around Macau for an hour and that track is crazy. The only downside is the skyscrapers bring out the worst about R3E's graphics: the insanely short shadow draw distance. Now hurry up with the Nordschleife, Sector3.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Right, I used the Steam sale to get myself both Project Cars and Assetto Corsa in the Steam sale which the intention of keeping one and misusing Steam's new refund policy (thanks EU!) to ask for my money back on the other one. All I wanted was a nice little fun game with good AI that I could boot into quickly for offline races against the AI without needing to mess around with wheel settings and the like, but to be honest neither impresses me for that. AC doesn't need to run as smoothly (which makes no sense) but I personally prefer the quality over quantity policy for tracks, and the version of the Nurburgring is really good and really fun to mess around on, while the car selection in project cars is better IMO (I'm a single seater person although I had a pressing urge for a good sports car sim during Le Mans) although I'd imagine that they'll be less accurate. AC feels better; and I'm struggling to find a FFB setup in pC that doesn't feel like its clipping...

The real problem is that the AI on both really, really loving sucks. My impression from a few races are that the AI in both have a real aversion to actually pass me - in Project Cars I forgot to untick the multiclass option while doing the Formula Ford equivalent at Calder Park, but I still managed to beat a bunch of Formula A cars because they refused to go anywhere near me which was a little annoying. That might be a fault of me setting the thing up, but I'm not sure. Honestly at this point I'm thinking of waiting until the next Steam sale for them to be updated and thinking again because as they are I can't see myself playing either of them... Have I made a mistake in configuration, or are these problems similar to those of other people?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I don't have either games, but increasing the AI difficulty may make them go somewhere if that is an option

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Skwee posted:

I don't have either games, but increasing the AI difficulty may make them go somewhere if that is an option

If you have a wheel and know which end of a car is which, Project CARS' AI is an absolute cakewalk at anything below 85%.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I was trying out race 07 the other day and the default difficulty was 85% and the AI would slow down so much in corners it was ridiculous. I often watch Empty Box because i watch video games a lot (probably the same if not more than the amount I actually play) and i've heard him say that for various games he has his AI set to over 100%, like 110-125. I was just thinking maybe he could do that in one of those, but since I don't have them I couldn't say for sure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

IceAgeComing posted:

Right, I used the Steam sale to get myself both Project Cars and Assetto Corsa in the Steam sale which the intention of keeping one and misusing Steam's new refund policy (thanks EU!) to ask for my money back on the other one. All I wanted was a nice little fun game with good AI that I could boot into quickly for offline races against the AI without needing to mess around with wheel settings and the like, but to be honest neither impresses me for that.

[…]

Honestly at this point I'm thinking of waiting until the next Steam sale for them to be updated and thinking again because as they are I can't see myself playing either of them... Have I made a mistake in configuration, or are these problems similar to those of other people?

No, it's pretty spot on from my experience. The main problem is that neither game is really fully developed yet. Sure, they're both out of EA, but mainly in the sense that they're mostly feature complete and everything works. Both will probably require a lot more development to get to a properly polished product.

I'd say that if you were going to bet on either to fulfil your particular purpose, pCars looks more likely to me — AC seems to trend more towards accuracy and hotlaps, and at the moment I see them aiming more towards tweaking physics and adding in more simulations and more accurate tracks. While they've said that they're going to work in the AI, it doesn't seem like that high a priority compared to what the game is going for at its core. For pCars, the opposite seems to be true at the moment. Whether either one will actually get there has yet to be seen, of course, but I'd still bet on pCars being the one that best ends up fulfilling your needs.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Say what you want about AC but at least they have the decency not to announce a sequel a month after release.

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/announcing-project-cars-2

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
But I made a point of mentioning the bad Assetto Corsa AI in the OP :(

On that note, should I add the pCars AI issues to the OP? It seems that most everybody is in agreement that it has those, but with pCars you so quickly draw the ire of people if you say anything bad about it, to the point where I kinda don't want to talk about it at all.

Also, I'm wondering if the OP needs a quick overview of the strong(green) and weak(red) points, something like this:

Can't say much about Live for Speed, is there actually a community there?
Project Cars seems to be very active in MP, but again: haven't tried it myself.
Raceroom seems poised to get a green in "online" as well, but I think it isn't there yet.

Comments?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 23, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

AC feels better; and I'm struggling to find a FFB setup in pC that doesn't feel like its clipping...

Try lowering Fx and Fy, I find them way to high at 100, for most cars I end up with Fz ~50 and Fy ~40. AFAIK Mz is actually the one for front tire grip. But again: FFB is very subjective.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The race sim matrix is great. I'd be a bit more generous with sounds though, AC and pCARS get atleast an orange if not green imo.

EDIT: Ahhh okay that makes a lot more sense. Maybe a simple legend for dumb goons like me?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 23, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The orange/red is supposed to be the weak point, not "okay". I guess I should make that a proper red, eh? I think more granularity than +/0/- defeats the point of a quick overview, also it's easier to classify the games and doesn't have to be updated so often :)

pCars I can see getting a green in sound, but AC? Not to the point of "if you're really into car sound your decision should be weighted towards this game", I don't think.

Edit:

New version:

Renamed Online to MP Focus, because right now all of them have largely unremarkable online features aside from iRacing and possibly LFS. Btw, can someone fill me in on LFS?

Maybe a "Controller Support" column would be good? From what I gather pCars and R3E work rather well?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So in dirty rally is my in game steering wheel rotation not suppose to match my actual wheel or are my settings screwed up somewhere?

• Locked thread