Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Has anyone tried resetting their retainer to DRK/AST? I made a terrible mistake in picking a job that wasn't mine when I first levelled him up to 50, and I hope to rectify this with a 30 level head-start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Furnaceface posted:

So Im assuming Excalibur wont open even at 4am for new characters due to the massive load. I dont want to burn my whole free month trying to get on one server, but I dont know if I lose anything just making a random character to gently caress around with and learn the ropes while I wait for things to settle down. :ohdear:

I started a few days ago and was able to make a new character on excalibur on my first try. I wasn't even aware it closed registrations and stuff. I did start late at night at like, midnight PST so you could try around that time.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've got MCH to 36 now, and I'm wondering, does anything on the way up ever really change the fundamental "1-2-3 with random chance of not getting 2 or 3 if ammo's on cooldown" thing? It's not really grabbing me at all, despite the allure of turrets at 40.

I would say their basic rotation is simple because they have a lot of other elements to manage. Special ammunition, multiple DPS cooldowns, a whole bloody shopping list of debuffs (which I love. Moogle Gunners were my fav FFTA class) turrets (which have their own utility options) and later on Wildfire. Then you have the whole "Do I go Gauss Barrel for the extra damage or keep mobile?" element you have to consider every fight.

I am finding them an absolute blast to play, even if I am rather biased (I used to be an Army combat engineer so being able to run around as an anime-as-gently caress incarnation of one is rather appealing) though I can understand people's taste varies. Come off playing a BLM though which was as deep as "Fire III, Fire I till you are out of mana, Blizzard III, Lightning III, repeat." most of the time, I am finding them far more flexible and enjoyable.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 20, 2015

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Got MCH a hair away from 48. The upside of being away all weekend will be that I'll come back to more than enough rest XP to coast to 50.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finished the quest wall, and entered castle town place. I hope the new quests are better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Has anyone tried resetting their retainer to DRK/AST? I made a terrible mistake in picking a job that wasn't mine when I first levelled him up to 50, and I hope to rectify this with a 30 level head-start.

class is not job
job is not class

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Finished the quest wall, and entered castle town place. I hope the new quests are better.

Quests were fine before though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I may or may not have paused to start blaring John Cena's theme song when I walked in to champion Tataru for the trial by combat. Also, I love that so many of the things coming up in these new quests, like the DRK first quest and in the MSQ, are solved by violence. Everyone freaks out, and then someone goes "well, you could just beat the poo poo out of these people and the problem goes away" and I just go "Finally, now someone in this game is speaking my language." It's very cathartic after the 2.55 stuff.

This is has been my favorite part of the MSQ as well, though I'm not much further than that point. There's been a handful of dumb mom quests, but they've thrown you into action scenario's pretty quickly. I really appreciated having 2 instance events in both the area intro quest lines, made it feel like a cohesive story rather than a tour. I also said "gently caress yeah, trial by combat" when you champion for Tataru.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Some of the currents are a real bitch to get to. drat, jumping puzzles :argh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Retainers couldn't use job stones last I checked? Has that changed?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but the thread has been moving fast the last few days.

So Slug Shot feels like it has a fairly long animation time, which normally isn't a problem, but I've had a few times now where I hit Rapid Fire and Reload before a Split Shot and pre-apply Slug and then Clean Shot to take advantage of the quick GCDs, but what has happened to me a few times is that the animation of Slug Shot isn't finished before Clean Shot happens, so I actually skip right over the Cleaner Shot proc which comes on right after my Clean Shot has occured.

It sounds like a latency thing, but I don't know, because my latency has always been fine, and I'm on a fairly decent connection in Canada. Has anyone else encountered this when using Rapid Fire on Slug Shot?

One thing I've done to mitigate this happening is I now use Reload -> Split Shot -> Slug Shot -> Rapid Fire -> Clean Shot and so on, which gives the Slug Shot animation enough time to proc Cleaner Shot before Clean Shot activates.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Machinist is fun as heck and I feel bad for all the nerds taking time to play DRK first but I'm happy because it's trivialized queuing for poo poo. One thing is like, I keep hitting reload before a boss because it makes you feel like a badass when that's actually like, the worst move since it means your first two ammos are going to Hotshot and Leadshot and not being used to keep your combo guaranteed for as long as possible. Like right now I'm considering Hotshot, Quick Reload, Rapid Fire, Leadshot, Reload, Split Shot, Slug Shot, Reassemble, Clean Shot, Split Shot, Slug Shot.. But I'm like, 35 and don't have all my toys yet so this is just me trying to think of how these skills benefit eachother best.

Oh and Hot Shot, Rapid Fire, Spread Shot is like

The more I read over DRK the more it seems like it has an absurdly high skill ceiling where you want to maintain uptime on Grit (moreso than other tank classes due to their significantly lower HP) and Darkside (for DPS) as much as possible without getting yourself killed, because it's also a class that relies more heavily on direct damage mitigation moreso than Paladin (who has higher defense) and Warrior (who has a lot of fuckin health). I don't see DRK replacing PLD as MT, and it'll be a while before there are DRKs good and comfortable enough with the class to replace a competent WAR... But I can also see the current flood of DRKs and their generally low HP leading to a lot of groups opting not to take them unless it was a WAR MT/DRK OT power play combo to maximize DPS.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 20, 2015

Adhibhautika
Feb 28, 2004
Evil Beast of a Thousand bodies
Hello! I got a promo code for this game from my new CPU.

I have no interest in playing it so I'll put it here:

R4WE PJWA 7QW4 RL67 4ZT8

I think it's the full game with a free month of play.
Have fun riding chickens, as it seems to be what you are supposed to do in this game.

ok bye!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Rei_ posted:

The more I read over DRK the more it seems like it has an absurdly high skill ceiling where you want to maintain uptime on Grit (moreso than other tank classes due to their significantly lower HP) and Darkside (for DPS)

So far I haven't had a reason to ever turn darkside off, and the only time I shut off grit is on bosses after initial threat is established. I think I've dropped darkside exactly once by accident while leveling and that was because I was talking on the phone and not paying attention.

Darkside might actually become interesting to manage after 50 though. I mean, this is just leveling dungeon poo poo thus far.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I'm digging the party dynamic I'm getting from the MSQ cutscenes. (Up to about 2 hours in the Forelands)

It's pretty great that Estinian and Ysayle totally hate each other and neither can resist lobbing jabs whenever we stop to talk about things. Maybe it'll get annoying later but I doubt it; I actually like that everyone I'm walking around with so far has an actual personality and viewpoint compared to the blank slates of literally every ally I had in the Scions in 2.0. Even Alphinaud has improved a bit in this regard.

Also I saw that Cid also got an outfit upgrade and it's pretty boss.

Now I leave off with what I believe is the true objective of Heavensward, finding the highest piece of landscape that you can land your flying mount on in every zone and then dancing on it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Only 5 AST levels to go then I can finally start the new story.. gotta stay strong.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Adhibhautika posted:

Hello! I got a promo code for this game from my new CPU.

I have no interest in playing it so I'll put it here:

Which region? Tried making an account for my so in us/na, but it says it's the wrong region

Adhibhautika
Feb 28, 2004
Evil Beast of a Thousand bodies

Sentient Data posted:

Which region? Tried making an account for my so in us/na, but it says it's the wrong region

It's EU region. Dunno if it will work in US.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
While Machinist is really not doing it for me at the start (though I don't really dig bard either), the NPCs are hilarious. DRK has potential and AST is just screaming "This is probably your new main" though.

Really impressed with the "Hey, here is a duty that is a crash course of 30 levels of a thing you have never played before" training duties they give you right after you unlock the new jobs. Good design.

Also, if you are still doing a 2.0 relic for glamour, drat did they ramp it up. I am on the Alex phase but the maps give you 5 per chest now, and you can buy one for all of 75 poetics.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Demicol posted:

Only 5 AST levels to go then I can finally start the new story.. gotta stay strong.

If you can make or find a DD trash clear group, it's still king for 44-50 despite the dungeon mob XP nerf (the extra 50% armory bonus makes up for it). A good group will average one run every three minutes for about 14.7k xp/minute.

MCH 49. Why am I even awake.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

every time DRK swings their sword, it makes a lightsaber noise.

i like to imagine my au ra drk is actually making the lightsaber noises with her mouth.

i am 10 years old and i just finished watching star wars movies with my friends and now we are running outside into the back yard to play jedi.

e: if i didn't race change away from being a big broegadyn, i could be Aniki Skywalker

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 20, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Adhibhautika posted:

It's EU region. Dunno if it will work in US.

Thanks a lot, i just pretended she WA from the uk and it went through just fine

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

I have found a minion that replaces fat cat on my hotbars.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fishious posted:

I have found a minion that replaces fat cat on my hotbars.

Where.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's a real nice minion.

but this is the one i have my sights set on!

i need it right now

also

:smith:

edit: the catte and the red panda are dungeon drops, no idea about Alphinaud

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Ravana is the coolest loving poo poo, but oh man is that fight going to be nuts on Extreme.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

The Aery rare drop, level 55 dungeon.

It's description is cute too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Think I'm gonna get MCH to at least 40 so I can try Wildfire and turrets out before I give up on them for now. It's odd, because I like BRD and they have a certain similarity. Maybe it's just because I'm not 50(+) anymore :shrug:

Question, does ammo affect the potency of the DoT on Lead Shot?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Screw all your anime lizard girls or whatever.

I'm a loving lion.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

So far I haven't had a reason to ever turn darkside off, and the only time I shut off grit is on bosses after initial threat is established. I think I've dropped darkside exactly once by accident while leveling and that was because I was talking on the phone and not paying attention.

Darkside might actually become interesting to manage after 50 though. I mean, this is just leveling dungeon poo poo thus far.

Amending this post:

So, Dark Arts actually adds a poo poo ton of effects to abilities. None of them mention it until you actually complete the L45 quest and GET Dark Arts. It's baked into the tooltips of Carve & Spit and Abyssal Drain. The rest of the tooltips are modular and update only when you unlock Dark Arts.

It consumes ~30% of your MP (give or take) and does things like making Dark Dance gain +20% evasion, or add extra enmity (again) to Power Slash. It affects a whole lotta things. THIS is where your MP management comes in.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 20, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Fister Roboto posted:

Screw all your anime lizard girls or whatever.

I'm a loving lion.

Squall, is that you?

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Think I'm gonna get MCH to at least 40 so I can try Wildfire and turrets out before I give up on them for now. It's odd, because I like BRD and they have a certain similarity. Maybe it's just because I'm not 50(+) anymore :shrug:

Question, does ammo affect the potency of the DoT on Lead Shot?

If you do not like MCH at 30, you will not like it past 40. Wildfire doesn't change our gameplay at all; it's just another +damage buff with a unique conditional (mob must stay alive for 15s). Rook turret is really just a DoT you have to place on the ground every fight rather than on the enemy.

AFAIK from limited testing ammo ups the initial damage from Lead Shot, but not the DoT.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
God it is so hard to resist the sirens call of AST's throwing buffs at everyone gameplay

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Minrad posted:

God it is so hard to resist the sirens call of AST's throwing buffs at everyone gameplay

From listening to my friend as we went from 30-45ish it's very fast, think Resto Druid/Holy Paladin, with the emphasis on lower throughput (Lacking any real big healing CD's) for super support utility, the bard of healers if you will.

It can also do alot of it's work on the move with great instant cast heals and light speed (25% less potency for all heals being instant)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Minrad posted:

Squall, is that you?

Maybe

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Done, time to sleep.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Now it's time to find Gerolt and poke him with a stick and it turns out he's thought of an even STRONGER weapon he could make, and this one involves farming aether currents and sightseeing vistas

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Riftling posted:

If you do not like MCH at 30, you will not like it past 40. Wildfire doesn't change our gameplay at all; it's just another +damage buff with a unique conditional (mob must stay alive for 15s). Rook turret is really just a DoT you have to place on the ground every fight rather than on the enemy.

AFAIK from limited testing ammo ups the initial damage from Lead Shot, but not the DoT.

Honestly I think it's more that I'm not used to doing such low damage after being omni-50 for so long, it's kinda killing the hype buzz. :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly I think it's more that I'm not used to doing such low damage after being omni-50 for so long, it's kinda killing the hype buzz. :v:

Honestly, working on my BRD, not doing much damage seems to be the norm. I know we've overpowered everything for a while, but it feels like stuff takes even longer to die than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Rei_ posted:

Now it's time to find Gerolt and poke him with a stick and it turns out he's thought of an even STRONGER weapon he could make, and this one involves farming aether currents and sightseeing vistas

This reminds me, I think I was working on my books before I stopped playing, is that weapon going to be immediately obliterated upon hitting expansion content or should I still work on getting the stuff for it?

• Locked thread