Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
The story got pretty crazy last time, didn’t it? And then it got a bit crazier, because Delta and Cass were able to Dive with Nelo.

Prime had a dire warning for Delta as he entered.

You sound oddly formal.
The emotional bond level between you and Cass has become quite strong.
As a result, you are likely to see a lot of Cass’s true feelings, whether you want to or not.
True feelings…!? I mean, it’s not like she’s really hiding anything, right? What could surprise me?
Unfortunately, she has quite a few secrets. Not just her, but your friends, too… Anyone, really.
…Hmm. Not sure I really get it. But, what’s this “Bond Level” you keep talking about?
The Bond Level represents how much trust there is between you and Cass.
The two of you have witnessed many friends’ worlds, and overcame countless challenges.
At times, you’ve said things that were quite difficult. You’ve even put your life on the line.
And, through conquering these, you’ve become stronger, together.
With repetition, this strength becomes trust for each other, eventually connecting you two on a deeper level.
That is what I mean when I say your emotional bond level has increased.
…I see…

These deep dive levels, they’re full of things you don’t even know about yourself sometimes.

…There is a darker side as well. And you’re about to discover what that is.
A bond so strong will open the heart to true feelings that even the person in question may not realize.
In other words, many are disappointed by when they see what truly lies beneath one’s heart.
So, if you’re afraid, I recommend you not dive into the Genometrics any further.

You may continue, of course, and if you overcome the challenges that lie ahead, you’ll both be legendary.
You shall wield superhuman power, which may even equal that of the gods!
It all depends on your actions. I suggest you think about it long and hard before acting.
Disappointed, huh…?
It looks like the world’s really changed, too… Then again, that might be because we’re in Nelo’s world.
To continue… Or not…

Delta decided to continue on.

I’m afraid we’ll run into highway robbers or something…
Whoa-!

Though, well, he wasn’t in a very great place

A kid…?
Wha-!? I’m a full-grown adult! Well, see ya, I guess…
Sheesh, what was that…?
Whaaaaaaaaat the hell!? He took my clothes and my bag!
drat that little punk, I’m gonna get you!
* Pant pant * It’s no use… I can’t find him…!
Hey, you from out of town?
…Huh!?
You best be careful. This town isn’t exactly safe. Lemme give you some good intel. Care to listen?
Yes/No
Yeah…
That’s a good lad.
Everyone living in this town is a thug or a con. Every single one of them…
So don’t believe anything anyone tells you, you hear me?
Y-Yeah.
Heh heh… Pretty good advice, huh? That’ll be 5,000 carats.
What will?

And really, he should have seen this coming.

Now wait a sec. I was JUST robbed and lost everything! Cut me some slack…!
Aww, now isn’t that just a sob story. But, that’s got nothing to do with me.
If you can’t pay up, then I’m gonna have to cut you open and sell you piece by piece.
Y-You’re kidding me, right?
Oh, I think not, mister. Now… Come right this way…
Guah…!
That’s what happens when you don’t listen…
Owwwwww!
W-Who’s there? Who just threw something at me!? Huh? A shoe…?

Anyway Cass showed up to bail him out, which is how a shockingly large number of these have started come to mention it.

Cass!?
Well, well, well… If it isn’t the little girl from the shoe store. I think you need to be educated.
Hey boss, if we sell both of them, we’ll make a killing this month!
Sheesh, what a troublesome bunch. If I’m not here, who’s going to polish everyone’s shoes?
Yeah, like dirty shoes are a bit problem. Finish them!!
Right-on! Hraaaaaaaah! Get ready for a whoppin’!
Tch…
Don’t even think about it!
Get out of my way!
Huh…!?
I hope YOU guys are ready.

Cass then transformed, which she also does quite a bit in these. Which I suppose makes sense given how little she values herself.

Don’t tell me, you’re…?
You saw? Then, die!
Please, protect Delta for me… Please!

Cass, you’re…?
Delta, I wanted to see you so badly! Oh, I’m so glad we’re together again.
But right now, we stick out like sore thumbs. We need to run now and save the reunion for later!
H-Hey!!
I think this should do it.
Cass, what’s going on here…!?
Delta, you have no idea how happy I am to see you… I was looking all over for you!
The Outer Zone is pretty big, I almost gave up.
O-Outer Zone?
But, I found you. Though I was hoping I’d never have to use that power again, but…
Found you.

They then encountered the other side of the Dive, though she was exactly as welcome a visitor as she had been in the real world.

…That sure didn’t take long. I knew using the power was a bad idea.
I traced the origins of that power, and who did I find…?
Now, come this way. You don’t want to be near that dangerous adult, do you?
…* Sigh * I was going to polish your shoes for you, Delta, but that’s going to have to wait.
Meet me at the Otis Mansion in District 18. Room 1821, you got it?
Cass, as long as you’re here, people will suffer… including yourself.
The answer is no. I’m never going back there. Ever!

…You’re…?
I don’t speak to adults with their minds in the gutters.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Unrefined Mind]!

drat, I just jumped in this world… I’m injured, and have no idea what’s going on…
I thought I told you, this world will be different from the others.
I have no idea if I can even save this world…
The town’s a disaster, but I saw Nyurokis on top of that building. They seemed happy. What is that?
That’s Palace Nyurokeel. A utopia in this corrupt world… Depending on who you ask.

Delta headed to the place Cass asked to meet him.

Is this your house?
Yes, it is.
Whew, finally, I get to rest… But boy is this world messed up. You don’t really sound like yourself, either.
That was an act. If you don’t talk dirty like that, people won’t respect you in this town.
I see… But wait, why IS it so dangerous here, anyway?
It’s a town of adults, there’s really no way around it. I’ll be able to stay by your side forever, now.
You know, I went to the Outer Zone because I wanted to be with you so badly, right?
Because… I’m an adult now. I can live with the person I love…
…Huh?
Ahh, that’s right. I needed to give you something. This was stolen from you, right?
Whoa! My clothes! You went and got it back for me!?
Hehe, I guess you could say so.
Thanks so much!
Whew… I had no idea what was going to happen there!
You should thank me!
By the way, when you beat those guys up, you transformed, didn’t you…? What was that…?
…I’d rather not talk about it, if you don’t mind. It only gets in my way.
It’s why I can’t live in this city like a normal person…

Delta was at least getting into good habits with respect to collecting information.

Nelo is… The master of Palace Nyurokeel.
Palace Nyurokeel?
Yes, the shiniest building on top of the hill… The place everyone on Outer wants to live. Paradise.
What does the owner of that place want with you, Cass?
Because… I was the former owner. I ran away…
Really!? I thought it’s supposed to be paradise. Why don’t you want to be there?
To me, that place is no paradise. I much prefer the life-style of Outer.
But isn’t it difficult being surrounded by thugs and all…? Not to mention having Nelo chasing you.
…Yes, but… There’s nothing I can do about that. And really soon, I won’t need to worry anymore.
I found someone who can remove that power from me… The one you saw, with the light.
If I don’t have that power, I’ll be just like the residences here. Nelo won’t chase me anymore.
You’re sure about that…?
I’m mostly happy about it, because the one person trying to interrupt our lives together can’t track me.
Or, do you like this power…?
No/Yes

Feinne’s Notes:
We get a lot of thought gems this time from being supportive of Cass making her own decisions. When we get what this whole Light thing is about it’ll be pretty obvious why those are the right choices.

Delta really didn’t have enough information to make a decision on this, not understanding what that power represented.

Hehehe, that makes me… So happy. That’s what I love so much about you!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [No Need for Light]!
…Hm?
Oh, I wonder if that’s Ion?
Ion!?
Yes. The person who introduced me to the doctor that can remove the power of light. We can trust her.
Hey Cassy!
Ion, I’ve been waiting for you. Come in.
Don’t mind if I do!
Oh? You have guests? Pleasure to meet you. My name’s Ion.
R-Right, nice to meet you, too…
Ion used to live in Nyurokeel until recently, too… And she just had her power of light removed.
Okay. Um, but why do people hate the power of light so much?
Why…? Because if you have the power of light, you’re an easy target in this world.
Everyone living in Outer wants this power, so they can fulfill their desires.
When I still had my power, people would attack me. That’s why I had to live in hiding, like Cass.
But now I live happily in this city. I want her to enjoy the same things I do.
…I see… Sounds like a tough life.

Given Nelo’s opinion of Ion, Delta really should have been more suspicious of her in this world.

Really!? That’s amazing! Of course I could! I’ll get ready right now!
Great. I don’t know when our schedules will match again.
I’ll head over to the hospital as soon as I get ready.
Okay. I’ll see you there.
Hehe, that didn’t take as long as I thought. And, I was able to see you, too, Delta. Today’s turning out great!
I’m gonna be out for a while. You can use the house as you please.
R-Right…
One more thing. When I come back, and I’m a normal adult again… Do you want to live here with me?
Huh…!? In the same room!?
…Yeah. I mean, we’re both adults now, right? I want to live with you, Delta. That’s why I escaped Nyurokeel.
So, please!
Don’t go raising death flags/Okay/No
Ack… That’s what characters say right before they walk into their own demise…
My own demise? I’m not going to die, silly.
Alright, I’m taking off now. Let’s talk about our future when I come home, yeah?
…This is very worrisome. I should probably go after her.

At least he was smart enough to see how shady this whole thing was. U-Umm, anyway, so the hospital.

Umm, this is the right place, I guess…
…What the-!? This place looks dangerous as hell!
Ahh, Cassy, I’ve been waiting for you, and so has the doctor!
Hello. You must be Casty.
Um, yes… I’m looking forward to this…
Hehe… Oh, you’re just as good as Ion described you. A pure little child.
Zill, I would never lie to you. Please don’t compare me to those other idiots!
H-hey! I’m not a child, either…!
Oh, yes you are. That’s exactly why you’re able to wield that power. Proof that your mind is still young.
…!? I’m not young!
Now, now, let’s not get angry, okay? Besides, isn’t that why you came here? To no longer be a child?
Then why does it matter if we call you one? In a few minutes, you’ll be an adult. Enjoy it while you can.
W-Well, I guess you have a point…
Cass! Hang in there! She called me a child over and over again before the operation, too!
O-Operation!? You’re going to operate on me? L-Like, surgery?
But of course… I’m going to use the procedure I developed for removing light.
Don’t worry, it’ll be over soon. I just have ot make a little hole in your skull to get to the frontal lobe.

This… I’m… Yeah, I’m totally okay. Right. Totally. Why wouldn’t I be, right? Surgery doesn’t bother me one bit.

Aww, are you afraid? I guess this was a bit much for a little child.
!! That’s not true! I-I’ll do it! I’m not scared or anything…
Hehe, what a strong little girl you are. Well then, shall we begin?
Let Cass do what she wants/Force her to stop

Now, Delta. We’re going to begin the operation, so we need you to vacate the premises.
Delta, go home… I’ll give you my keys, here.
Y-Yeah…
I just can’t get that out of my mind…
…Hm? I hear some voices.
I finally have her… The little girl who can make the miracles come true…!
With this girl’s power, I’ll be able to create weapons to navigate through the Nyurokeel!
This is great news, Dr. Zill! But, you have to keep your promise to me.
Oh? And what promise was that again?
You promised you were going to transfer the power to me. That’s the whole reason I decided to help you!
Yes, when her operation is complete. Until then, why don’t you lie over there and stay out of my way.
Huh!?
I knew they were up to no good! I need to go in and stop them!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Cass in a Trap]!
…!?

Yeah. Doing okay now. It’s nothing, don’t worry about it. Unfortunately, the enemy were one step ahead of Delta. As usual.

He woke up some time later.

…Owww…
…Where’s this?
…That’s right! Cass!
Dammit, she’s gone… Where the hell could they have taken her?
Where’d they go…?

He returned to her home in the vain hope that Zill had kept her word and released her after whatever it was they were planning, but there was no luck.

…Cass, are you there?

Dammit… Not here, either…?

And so, he headed to the Palace to see Nelo.

I find it hard to believe they would’ve returned here, but… There’s a high chance they took her here…
…!! You’re the one from earlier…
Nelo!
What’s an adult doing here…?
…Oh, right. I nearly forgot. You had the right to cross through the gate.
The right to cross through a gate…? Anyway… Did you bring Cass back here? If you did, I need to see her!
Unfortunately, Cass has not returned here. Has something happened…?
Cass hasn’t come back ever since she went to see that doctor, Zill. She was going to remove the light from Cass.
…What did you say!? This is a disaster…
You’re her lover, aren’t you!? Why the heck didn’t you stop this from happening!?
Because I was powerless/Because Cass insisted on it
Sorry… I wasn’t strong enough. Zill was two steps ahead of me.
I see… So be it. I can tell Cass means the world to you, so that’s a start.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Moment of Self Improvement].
Since you are able to enter the Palace Nyurokeel, I’ll tell you something very important.
There are various reasons why Cass insisted upon living in the Outer Zone, but chief among them, was you.
Yeah, that’s what she told me.
If you truly care for her, too, then you better bring her back to the Palace Nyurokeel.

Delta finally thought to get more information on the overall situation.

But… Cass said that she didn’t want to return. I couldn’t bring her back here against her will…
Having the power of light in the Outer Zone brings her misfortune, but losing her power? Even more so…
Before we go any further, can you explain to me what this power of light is?
It is born from pure and untainted thoughts, which is why normally only children possess it.
It has the power to create miracles… Which is why the adults want to use it for their own benefit.
That’s the very reason this world has crumbled the way it has… Adults trying to use the power of light.
That’s why we distanced ourselves… Anyone with the purest thoughts are allowed… the rest go to Outer.
I see… But Cass isn’t exactly what I’d call a child, you know? Age-wise, that is…
That’s exactly why she’s so valuable. Normally, when someone’s as old as Cass, they lose the power.
Children can lose it as early as 7 or 8, where we must ask them to leave the palace…
Cass possesses the only pure conscience in this world, which is why her power is so strong.
But on the other hand, if the adults take this power, they might be able to destroy the world as we know it.
You’re telling me Cass had all this power all along?
Yes.
Which is why I must beg of you… Please help us bring Cass back.
If what you said is true, and the adults took her, then who knows what would happen to this world.
Help/I can’t trust you
Yeah, leave it to me. I don’t want to see her, or her world, get destroyed.
Thank you.

Though, things were about to get rather exciting.

I see. Thank you.
Delta, it seems the plot is unfolding much quicker than we planned… Let’s hurry to the gate.
Y-Yeah…

That will have to wait for next time I think, though. What? No, I’m totally fine. I just need to go talk with your father a bit is all, absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about earlier. Go to sleep already, ugh.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Innocence, Part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's pretty obvious that this is Nelo's dive, considering how Zill/Ion's situation seems to be a literal copy of Nelo's own situation with Zill, with Cass as Prim. That said, I'm not too sure if Delta should trust Nelo so easily...then again, this is kind of a dystopic world and clearly Cass shouldn't lose her light, so maybe it's not that bad of an idea.

In any case the first screen romanizing Nelo's name as "Nero" despite using Nelo every other time shows translation quality alright.

Also Neptunia Re:birth 1 & 2 are on sale on Steam (70%, with the DLC at 71%), so if anyone wanted to follow Feinne's steps into anime-dom, now's your chance. I bought the first (not the second because there's only so much money I'm willing to use at a time, and between Smash's DLC and this it's gone way beyond it), and I fully blame Feinne for it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Neptunia Re:birth 1 & 2 are on sale on Steam (70%, with the DLC at 71%), so if anyone wanted to follow Feinne's steps into anime-dom, now's your chance. I bought the first (not the second because there's only so much money I'm willing to use at a time, and between Smash's DLC and this it's gone way beyond it), and I fully blame Feinne for it.

I'd consider this, but I already have too many games I'm not playing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I have but haven't had time to play the re;births, the first one's is really going to be more significant since it actually does radically change the combat system for the better.

So Nelo's Dive really does help you understand Cass a lot better even with just what we've seen in the first half. She really wants to trust the people she cares about even when she has no reason to do so, but she is very conflicted by that because she is already very self-conscious about being seen as childish (what with the fact that she'll perpetually look like a teenager). It's gotten her burned several times and part of her clearly wants to just give up, and ironically it's the source of pretty much all of that betrayal (if you read between the lines of what we know about Delta's betrayal she's also responsible for that) who feels really bad about it and want to encourage her not to do so.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Good news: KT put out a trailer for Ar noSurge Plus today, so that's nice.
Bad news: MASSIVE SPOILERS in said trailer. Watch it at your own risk.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, story time everyone. As I recall things were getting pretty exciting last time, Cass had been kidnapped and the Palace Nyurokeel was under attack. Delta and Nelo headed to the gate to see what was happening.

Delta, that…!
!? That’s…

It seemed a giant monster was there.

There’s no way someone from the Outer Zone could create this.
Exactly! Because we didn’t.
Zill!?
So it was you…
It’s been a while, Nelo.
What on earth are you doing!?
Shizoidrophia. The ultimate weapon I’ve created, using the power of light that you’re so proud of.
I’m going to destroy the Nyurokeel Gate with this. And let us conquer the world like we once did…!
Now I know your motive… But the answer is still no. If adults use the power of light, the world will end…
Yes or no, the result will be the same. I’m going to take Nyurokeel and make it mine!

Now let’s watch the battle ensue from afar, shall we? It’s only a matter of time before the gate opens.
Zill…

We don’t have a choice. It’ll turn into an all-out war, but we need to crush that thing!

Delta’s wheels were actually turning a bit, though, and he realized the truth of what was going on.

…Cass!?
Huh!?
Hey, Cass! You’re in there, right!? CASS!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Understanding with Love]!
…I understand now…
…! Cass!? Cass… How did this happen to you?
I’m sorry, Delta. You were right… I should’ve never listened to Ion…
Zill tinkered with my brain, and… Well, here I am now.
This is too cruel…
Delta… It’s okay, though. Once I destroy the Nyurokeel Gate, the doctor said she would return me to normal.
That’a a lie! Don’t listen to her!
Hey, Nelo, can’t you do something about this!?
…I don’t know. At the very least, I cannot stop the power of light…
Delta, back away from there. I’m going to destroy it.
Stop! Don’t do that… You’re not going to return to normal, even if you do!
Cass! I know you don’t like me, but please… Stay at Nyurokeel!
You love the Nyuroki, right?
I… Hate that thing…

Though simply knowing the truth isn’t necessarily enough to solve problems on its own.

Please, don’t destroy the Palace Nyurokeel.
I don’t want the power of light… It’s because of this power that I can’t be happy!
Because of this power, I can never grow up to be an adult!
Then, I don’t want this power anymore… I just want a normal life.
Becoming an adult and losing the power of light are completely separate! You can still be an adult with light!
It’s impossible! There’s no way I could live together with Delta while I still possess the light!
OF COURSE YOU CAN!
Looking like this…? How?
Besides, you’ll never let me go, as long as I have the power, Nelo…
I don’t need others telling me what to do, or chasing after me! I want to be free.
I’M AN ADULT!!

Cass…
This is the end…
…!
Delta, I’m sorry… I need to stop her…
…Even if it means killing her.
Hey, you idiot! Don’t-!
Delta… This is going to be over soon. Please, just wait for me…

Feinne’s Notes:
We’re given a choice here, and in order to progress we need to side with Nelo.

Caring about means sometimes, when you see them making a really bad choice, you stop them. It’s kind of funny because Cass herself had just told Prim that.

Cass, don’t do it!
Delta, back off!
…I’m sorry, Delta… I don’t have anything against you…
…But I need to protect Cass, so…!
Uh… Ah…
…!! Cass!?

Delta was blasted away, and woke up in the city some short time later.

Huh!? Did I see you somewhere, big guy?
Hey! You’re the kid who took my clothes!
Oh crap! Wait, we don’t have time for that right now! Hurry, you have to run, too!
The Palace Nyurokeel is going to burn the Outer Zone!
What!?
Laters!
Don’t tell me, Nelo…! She couldn’t… Not Cass…

He returned to the gate, where his suspicions were confirmed.

What’s happened to you!? You loved the Outer Zone so much. What did Nelo do to you!?

Cass! Please, answer me!
There’s no point. Right now, she’s been corrupted by Nelo’s light.
…Zill! What the hell did you do!?
I have no regrets. The segregation in this world was unbearable. Because of one trait we all possess.
There’s nothing we can say to her now. We must terminate her before she destroys the Outer Zone.
Termination Squad, advance!
No! You turned her into that monster, and now you’re saying we should kill her because she’s dangerous!?
But there’s no other way… She’s being controlled by Nelo now.
I’ll make Nelo stop her, then! So let me go to Nyurokeel and make her stop!
It’s useless… Only those with the power of light can enter… That child will stop soon enough.
I can do it, I swear… So please, hold off the attack until you give me a chance.
If I don’t return after one day, then you can do whatever you please… Promise me!
…Oh? Well, if you do manage to succeed, it’ll be beneficial for me, too. You have one day.
…! And when I do succeed, I’m not going to let you have your way, either.
…All hands, at ease!
…Cass, you can hear me right? Please, let me through here.

Delta, confident that Cass wouldn’t attack him, simply walked through the gate.

…I’m going in.
…Run away…
Huh!?
…This world… It will harm you, Delta… It will cause trouble… My heart…
But, that’s… I don’t want…
Cass…
Don’t worry about it. You can hurt me, wound me all you want. I will always be by your side.
When I decided to enter this world, and travel deeper, I was prepared for whatever came my way.
So please, trust me.

…I’m coming.

I’m through, heh. Now just you wait, Nelo…

This just left the issue of Nelo.

Nelo! What the hell did you do with Cass!?
I just dug up some of her old feelings, that’s all… But don’t worry. I didn’t “break” her.
More importantly, why don’t we have some fun here? It’s been quite lonely all on my own, you know?
Why you… Cass is the most important thing to me. What the hell are you saying…!?
There’s something I want to show you. And something we need to discuss.
…I see. Fine, then… Start talking.
Thank you. Now, please, come this way… There’s something really fun here.

Who, it seemed, mostly just wanted to talk about something.

Yes. Finish on time, and win a wonderful prize. I finished it with Cass once…
What’s the surprise?
A Nyuroki will tell you, “Your wish will come true”.
…That’s it? not, “I will grant you your wish” or something?
So? There’s only one Nyuroki in the entire world, so hearing it say that is quite valuable, you know?
Do you want to give it a shot, Delta?
No, I’ll pass…
I see. How unfortunate.
I think Cass went in there over and over, and when she went in with me, she was finally able to clear it.
Boy, we were so happy… I think it was the happiest moment in my life in this world.

Now, come over here. Let’s eat something good, shall we?

Namely, the only day she could remember where she’d been even slightly happy.

And the Nyuro-stick. This is to die for!
Cass introduced me to this, too… The best thing I’ve ever eaten…
Yeah, it’s pretty good, but… I think there are lots of other things that are equally delicious…
No, this is the most delicious. I’ll give you one, too, Delta.
Y-Yeah… Thanks.
…Hehehe.
Seems like you and Cass had quite a blast.
Yes, you could say so… It’s the only fun memory I’ve had since I”ve been here.
And… The only memory I have of a friend…
…But, Cass told me you’ve always wanted to destroy the world, right?
So, why were you and Cass playing together?
It’s not just Cass… You and I played, too. You’ve just forgotten.
I-I was…?
Yes you were. The reason you’re able to enter is because you still have those memories.
…So that’s how it works…?
In the beginning Cass didn’t know that I was Nelo.
When I said I was hungry, she thought I was a lost child, and took good care of me.

She was rather beginning to get to what she wanted to say to Delta, and why this was important to know.

I’ve hurt many of Cass’s friends, but even then, she was still on my side.
She was angry with me for hurting her friends… But understood how I felt, being forced into this world.
In the end… We lost to some really big power, and had to leave…
…So this place is full of memories, I see. That’s why Cass’s existence means so much to you.
Yes. And, I don’t want Cass to forget what she felt like in her heart…
Her heart?
Yes. She has a very honest heart. One that doesn’t yield to the thoughts of others.
But recently those thoughts have been wavering. I don’t want her to be like adults, always doubting others.
Don’t tell me, then… The power of the Palace Nyurokeel, and power of light is all…
Yes, it’s her heart. The Palace Nyurokeel is a sanctuary for all of her pure thoughts. It protects them.
One day, however, she began to reject the palace… That’s partially my fault, though…
Your fault?
In her mind, she thinks I’ve betrayed her, and in reality, she might be right, so I can’t argue.
So, you did betray her, then.
That couldn’t be avoided. I must return to my own world. In the end, I can’t travel the same path as her.
But still, I want to protect her true and honest heart. Because I think that’s what makes her who she is.
It’s her heart that saved me… Which is why, even if she continues to hate me, I don’t want her to lose that.

Delta, in turn, continued to actually make good points. Kind of scary really.

Isn’t that all the more reason not to force it on her? I want to protect her, too, but not forcibly.

Nelo, I have a request… Could you let me talk to Cass?
…Huh?
I promise I’ll protect Cass’s power of light. No… Her pure heart. So, please, let her go…
…Very well.
But, if you let the Outer take over, I’ll have no choice but to blast everything away. Is that alright?
…Yeah. Deal.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Nelo’s True Feelings]!

He and Nelo headed to the gate.

…Delta…? Delta, you convinced Nelo for me…?
Cass! Are you okay!?
…* Pant pant *…
Cass!? Cass, you’re back…? So, it was Nelo that transformed you into that monster, after all!?
No, it wasn’t me! I think the power of light in her is diminishing… Which is why she couldn’t control herself.
Delta, please… Don’t let that light disappear.
If it returns, won’t she turn into that monster again!?
…It’s possible. You may be right. But, if the light goes out, it will never come back.
…Argh! This isn’t going anywhere!
…Cass, let’s get out of here! Zill’s on her way here right now. We should hide in the palace…!
NO!! I don’t want to go back…
Cass…?
Please, Delta… I don’t want to go back there…
…Okay, fine. But, it’ll cause trouble if Zill finds us, so… We need to run into town, quickly!
Yeah, thank you…
Alright. Let’s GO!

They left Nelo behind at the palace and returned to Cass’s hideout.

It’s fine. Ion was the only one who knew about this place, and… She’s not here anymore.

Besides, it’s the most comfortable at home.
…Good point.
Hey, do you remember what I told you…? “If I don’t have the power of light anymore, let’s live here”…?
Y-Yeah…
I can feel the light’s almost gone inside of me. I can tell…
Nelo said that’s why you’re back to normal now. Because the power of light is dwindling.
I knew it! Hey, Delta… We’re almost there, then… The power is almost gone!
When that happens, we won’t have to worry about Nelo chasing us anymore. We can do whatever we want!
…Yeah, but… Do you know how long that might take? Is it possible to even tell?
No, I don’t, but…
I know how to become an adult. It’s very weak now, so… I think this should…

And, umm… There’s something I want you to help me with, Delta…
…?

So anyway I’m just going to head off Cass here and say you shouldn’t listen to her terrible opinion on this subject.

…Um!
C-Could you…
…T-Turn me into a-an adult…
…? How, exactly!?
Are you dumb or something!? Do you have any idea how embarrassing this is for me!?
I know, but…/Don’t know
No, I understand what you’re saying, but hang on!
First off, why do you want to become an adult so badly!?
I just told you! I’m tired of people chasing after me!
Then, couldn’t you just stay inside the Palace Nyurokeel?
Ugh, I don’t want to do that, either! I told you!
Say, Cass… Why do you hate the Palace Nyurokeel so much? Is this all because you hate Nelo?
That’s not it! That’s not the only reason… I’m not a child anymore, you know?
I want you to take me seriously, and listen to me… And trust me more!
I’m not smart like Sarly… Or an adult, like Nay. I’m not, umm… Well, I’m not like Kanon, either, but...
But I’m an adult now! I don’t want people telling me my thoughts are childish, or hiding the truth from me!
…Cass.
That’s why I need to become an adult, to become more calculating, and… Understand grown-up stuff…
I want others to rely on me from now on!

What you do or do not do with someone else has nothing to do with being an adult.

There aren’t! Because… I love you! I really really love you so much, Delta!
Since I was little, you’ve been the only one I’ve looked up to.
So, please… I’ve already decided I want you to turn me into an adult…

The only way that’ll happen is if you hold me really, really tightly.
…No, I can’t!
Why not!?

Hmm? Yes, for wanting to be an adult this part of Cass did not necessarily seem entirely sure of the actual process under discussion. Blame her parents I guess.

Wha-…!
L-Look at me…! I’m an adult already, aren’t I?
Now, wait a second, Cass! Put your clothes back on!
I don’t want to! I’m not putting them back on until you hold me!

I don’t want to be apart from you anymore… You’re the only one for me, Delta. The person who will protect me.
I can’t contain this feeling anymore. I want to become one with you… If I don’t, I feel incomplete.
So, please… Don’t ever let go of me! Promise me you won’t! And to prove it… Hold me tight!
Give a big hug/Don’t do it
Okay, Cass… If that will put your mind at ease, then…
…Y-Yes…
Cass…
Eek!
…!? S-Sorry…
O-Oh, no, it’s not that, I… I was just a little surprised, that’s all!
I’m okay. I’m going to be okay this time, so…
…Cass, don’t force yourself.
I’m not forcing anything!
Cass.

Anyway Delta had something he wanted to tell her.

I love you too, Cass… So… That’s why I can’t today!
Why!?
I don’t want you to try too hard to become an adult. I’m always going to be by your side…
There’s no way for me to know that. I’m afraid… Maybe one day you’ll leave me.
I thought I’ve always wanted to be with you, Delta. And that feeling has been getting stronger and stronger.
I already belong to you, Cass. Always…
How long is always…?
Always means always. 10 years, 20 years… I’ll still be there.
You idiot… How can you tell so far into the future.
I’m sure I’ll still be there. In this world, or the next… I promise I’ll protect you. I’ve decided.
That’s why we can take things slow. We’re going to be together for a long time, you know…
Delta… Thank you so much. I believe in you…
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Trust]!
…!? Who’s there!?

Their nice moment was spoiled by an awful jerk.

Eeek! How did you find us!?
I just had to poke around Ion’s head a little bit. It wasn’t that difficult.
Wha-!? You disgust me!!
Now, come to this side… Before that man erases the power of your light completely!
No!
Now, let’s not overexert ourselves… In your current state, I don’t think you can do much, now can you?
…I wouldn’t suggest underestimating me.

Unfortunately for her, she’d come at a pretty bad time.

What…!? The power of light… It’s becoming stronger again…!?
Yaaaaaaaaaaaah!
* Pant pant *
Cass… That power, you’re…!
Delta, let’s run!
Where to!?
Somewhere far away!

They rushed to the Hymmnofort together, where they found Nelo waiting.

Wait.
Nelo!?
Cass… The power of light returned…?
I’m not going back to the Palace Nyurokeel.
Then, where are you going?
…Somewhere far away.
I see… Then, good luck.
Huh…?
Delta, thank you… For restoring Cass’s powers.
I actually didn’t do that much…
I did the right thing, entrusting her to you. I thought it was impossible to regain it, honestly…
Cass, you might not trust me anymore… But as long as you have your pure heart, it doesn’t matter.
Nelo…?
I’m sorry… It’s true, I might’ve betrayed you a logn time ago.
You saved me… Yet I’m the cause for you wandering the streets…
I truly want the two of you to be happy…
So I’m not going to mince my words. I don’t care what happens to the others. But you guys… Are special.
Nelo… Thank you.

Once again both parties had come to a rather important realization in the Dive.

And if that’s not possible… Then we wish that you find peace.
…And, thank you. For protecting my power of light so diligently… I’ll cherish it.
Yeah!
Say, Nelo… Would this be considered “making up” with each other?
I wonder… Perhaps it is.
Then, why don’t we go through that door together.
…Sure.
You’re not going anywhere.
…!?
Zill…
Perfect timing. The owners of the Palace Nyurokeel all in one place… the heavens must be smiling upon me!
Unfortunately for you, we were just about to leave for a far away world!
Not if I can stop it!
Zill’s soldiers are blocking the door!
Dammit…!
…You can’t stop me.
Cass!?

And that realization led Cass to make a rather aggressive decision here.

It doesn’t matter to me anymore. I know what’s right and what’s wrong…
Hey, Cass!? drat, why do I have a bad feeling about this!?
What are you doing!?
As long as I have Delta by my side, that’s all I need. I don’t need the world where adults live.
…!? What are you saying!? You can’t be serious… You would destroy your own world!? Stop this madness!!
I don’t need an adult’s heart anymore… If conniving thoughts is what it takes to become one, then…
…I’ll stay a child!!
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!
Cass!!

And that’s the Dive.

There would, of course, be consequences for that decision. But, that is a tale for another day. Anyway, I think it’s time to get back to the real story next time. For now, though, it’s time for you all to get some sleep.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: An Actual Good Idea

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Feinne posted:

I’m not smart like Sarly… Or an adult, like Nay. I’m not, umm… Well, I’m not like Kanon, either, but...
Okay, that was pretty funny.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This background is a good example of what I meant when I said that I never know whether or not anything in this game is supposed to mean something. The first time I saw it, I figured that the signage could be meaningful, but the exact same shot gets reused a bunch of times in a bunch of different genometrics for a bunch of different people, so it plainly can't mean anything, even if some of it sometimes happens to seem relevant.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Feinne posted:

I’M AN ADULT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, of course she snapped. It's level 1. We can't just resolve everything right now, can we?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

Ah, of course she snapped. It's level 1. We can't just resolve everything right now, can we?

Well we won't be diving with Nelo specifically again, but that she just blew up her world will definitely come up again. You might have noticed while it was briefly available early in the game that the title of Zill's dive is [Land of Death], that might be relevant to what just happened.

This could be noted as the front end of a trio of Dives that resolve Cass' genometrics, along with Zill's and Cass's final one. There's also a second Dive with Sarly to resolve what happened there. I'm reasonably sure we are out of Dives for a bit actually, I 'think' the next ones are actually the DLC, which won't open up until we run into the person they're with.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 18, 2015

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I identify strongly with Delta in this Dive.

Also the classic late-game dive crashing catastrophically because the divee misinterprets something.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Let’s pick up the story with Delta and Cass, who were going with Undou to talk to Zill. She was actually feeling pretty chatty, which I suppose is easy when you’re a terrifying robot monster person made out of a bunch of other people.

…Zill. Zill, can you hear me!? It’s me, Undou! Are you alright!?
Undou…? Undou! You’ve returned!
Good, it sounds like you’re still yourself.
Of course. I am the Maternal Overseer, and a god able to see all in this world.
I always believed in you, Undou. I thought you had betrayed me, but now you have returned.
Now come and be one with me. Then, finally, we can…
Zill, I came here to ask you something.
You are the one who switched the ship’s power source to life energy, correct?
I’m sure you’re aware, but this ship is failing. I want you to switch it back to using interdimensional energy.
…There is no need for that. We can already survive in space, without a ship.
Uh, sorry, but we’re not monsters like you, we still need stuff like air and ground to survive.
Then fuse with me and become the Maternal Overseer. Your anger will fade. A happy future awaits.
I realize that you wish to become the Maternal Overseer, but not all humans wish to do so.
Taking that away from them is inexcusable for a scientist. Stop fusing and speak with us, Zill.

She even explained exactly why she changed the ship’s power source over.

Wait… You’re trying to exterminate us?!
Eternal happiness for all mankind has already been secured through fusion with the Maternal Overseer.
Don’t screw with us!
Do not show such unsightly emotion. Have you never thought about why humans fight?
It is because they cannot understand one another.
Discussion is useless. Humans act like they understand, but they do not. They betray one another, and fight.
This has not changed has it? You hate the Sharl without speaking to them, and you kill one another.
That’s not…!
Humans once lived alongside gentle, virtuous beings: The Genom. Yet humans betrayed and destroyed them.
It was then that I realized, such foolish souls only serve to harm this world.
That is why I believe a revolution was necessary. That is why I switched the power source.
Great pain always accompanies great change, but we must always move forward toward the light of hope.
It was with such thoughts that I switched the power source on this ship. Do you understand why?
One’s true strength shines brightest when one’s life is in danger. That was your theory.
Yes. That is why the Sharl work so frantically to guide humans to the Flask Sea.
If they do not, they would lose this world, the land where they live.
…You’re insane. You’re trying to destroy the ship for a reason like that!?
That doesn’t make sense… You’re using life energy as the power source, yet you’re fusing with that energy…

Some advice, if you ever find yourself on some adventure make sure you bring something to record crazies like this when you get them ranting, it’s really helpful.

Then at last human and Sharl hearts would be united in understanding. Conflict and hatred would vanish!
Do you remember, Undou? This is my ideal world. Now, come to me…
Unfortunately, it appears our ideals differ at a fundamental level. I’m sorry, but I’ll have you stop now.
Why!? I only wished to speak with you… About the future of this world, and about our dreams!
I also believe humans must develop their souls further, but they must achieve that as individuals.
It is not something another can force upon them. That is why I cannot join you.
…I see, I understand. Then I shall force you to become a part of me!
Quell->EX[lic]->{hymi ah⇔yon};
Aaaaie!
Guh!
Cass!

They were in serious trouble, but Zill’s own plan ended up helping them.

I feel so weak…
This isn’t good! We must retreat!
Yeah!
Undou…!

Though, there were consequences.

Cass! Are you okay?!
Delta…?
Oh, thank goodness…
You really had me worried. I thought your soul had fused with her or something.
Thanks… But I feel a little strange right now. Like Zill’s looking inside my heart…
You may have partially fused with the Maternal Overseer. Your minds may be linked. Be careful.
System Message: [Zill]’s Soulscape has been Chained to the Genomap!
Welcome back. How’d it go?
Didn’t work. We can’t even get near her. Sorry… Looks like all we did was waste time.
Nothing to apologize for. It was a long shot anyway. I’m just glad you’re back in one piece.
It was worth it to speak to Zill. My mind is set now.

I suspect Cass wasn’t so happy they’d just done that. Anyway, the power went out again.

It appears the souls of the humans in the Flask Sea have mostly fused with the Maternal Overseer.
At this rate I fear the ship’s energy will be exhausted even sooner than I predicted.
If only we could buy some more time until we switch the energy source back…
Could we reduce energy consumption? Like by turning off lights or something?
It would make little difference. Most of the energy is going to the generation of Sharanohiar.
Wait, really!?
Yes. Creating and maintaining it requires a great deal of energy.
Huh. Well, I guess we know where we’re going next, then.
Wait, Delta, are you going to see Cosal?
What other choice do we have? We need to negotiate with Cosal, to remove any land they don’t need.
What?! He’s never going to listen! Until just a little while ago, we were fighting him!
Things are different now. The world’s about to fall apart. He’s got to listen.
But…
I know the odds of this working aren’t great, but we’ve got to try whatever we can.
Delta is right, we have no other options. We must secure the cooperation of others.
All right! Let’s get moving, then.
Okay. It is worth a try, at least.

Anyway Delta had a plan with at least as much chance of success as the previous one, so they decided to go along with it.

Oh, actually, I wanted to bring Prim with us. Is that okay?
Delta…?
She was born from my thoughts and Cass’s.
I want to know her better. I want to figure out why she did all this.
That’s going to be difficult right now.
Let her go.
Sir…?
If they truly wanted to escape, they could, we both know it.
Delta, if Prim is truly important to you, take the time to talk with her, before it’s too late.
That way, you won’t have any regrets, like me.
…Thanks.
In exchange, keep a close eye on her. Do not let Prim escape.
Got it!

They headed to pick Prim up from the back room where she and Nelo were confined.

…No.
Prim… You seem to have some misunderstandings, about me and Delta, and humans, and the whole world.
I think Delta and I don’t understand you very well either. We need to talk to each other more.
So please, come with us so we can all see the truth about this world.
The truth?
I’m sure there’s a lot of things we can’t see now. But we need to find them, one at a time.

Okay, I’ll go. But I want to ask you to do something.
Don’t fight with the Sharl, and be nice to them. If you’re going to go fight, I won’t go with you.
Okay, I promise.
And…we should take Nelo with us.
Okay, we’ll bring Nelo, too.
Hey, hold on a minute, Cass!
It’s not a big deal.
Let’s try trusting Nelo, Prim, and the Sharl.
It would be best if everyone could live together happily.

…I really don’t like walking.
Oh c’mon…

In the end, Nelo did come along. But before they headed to Sharanohiar, Delta decided to check up on Cass’s Soulscape. Unfortunately, things were worse than he could have expected.

Whoooa!?
What the heck is going on here…?
You’re in the way. This area is still off limits.
Zill! What are you doing inside of Cass’s mind!?
I’m just searching for something…
Searching for—Do you have any idea what you’ve done!?
It couldn’t be helped… She was the one being uncooperative, after all…
Stop this right now! I’ll chase you out of here even if I have to force you!
You can’t.
Wha-!? Why isn’t it working…?
I ask that you do not get in my way.
Disappear… Let everything crumble!!
Guah!
Delta!

Delta continued to be lucky that Prime was around to help him.

Delta, this place is dangerous… We should retreat.
Like hell I would-!
It’s simply not possible! Zill’s feelings are too strong! You won’t stand a chance in your current state.
She’s resonating people’s minds now that she’s become the Maternal Overseer.
Someone understands…
You…!
We need to back off. Until something is done about the Maternal Overseer, the situation won’t change.
Tch… Okay.
Cass… We’re going to save you. Mark my words!

Feinne’s Notes:
We can’t do anything else in here until we’ve done something to weaken the power of the Maternal Overseer. If we try, Prime will just yell at us and tell us we need to back off again. It’ll be obvious when we’re able to do something here.

They went to talk to Cosal, but ran into a bit of a problem.

Sharl B: Halt.
Wh-What?
Sharl A: Only those qualified may enter Tenryo Temple at this time!
Sharl B: The “Combination Tournament” is currently in session, so entry to this area is forbidden.
What…? Who’s qualified, then?
Sharl A: Human and Sharl pairs who have completed First Harmonics.
Sharl B: In other words, those who share a common purpose.
I don’t know what that means, but I don’t have time to argue. Let us see Cosal! Now!
Sharl A: No! Those are the rules!
Huh. All right then, Cass and I will participate. She can use Song Magic.
Sharl A: No.
Sharl B: Not possible.
Sharl A: Only human and SHARL pairs qualify.
Argh… I really don’t have time for this! Looks like we have to force our way through!

Unfortunately force wasn’t an option, for several reasons.

I-I’m just kidding.
Yes. We came here to ask Cosal a favor, we can’t go around fighting everyone.
Your violent father is just the worst, isn’t he, Prim?
…Yeah.
…I said I was kidding…
Look, we still don’t have time to just stand around here.
Right. We should go gather information in Tenryosara.
Hey.
What is it?
I’m tired.

In spite of Nelo’s general lack of enthusiasm for, well, anything, they headed to Tenryosara. Without really intending to, they managed to drop in on Kanon.

Welco--?!
What?!
K-Kanon!?
Wh-Why are you here…?
We, uh…had some business… What are YOU doing here?
…Th-This is my store.
…I didn’t know you had such a cute little place.
I-I just opened! Um, with a little help from Ionasal…
Huh… Not bad. I actually kinda like places like this.
…Really?
Yeah. It’s nice to see a different side of you too.
…At first I felt kind of embarrassed, like people were seeing something they shouldn’t, but…
I told myself I needed to do everything I could, so here we are.
Just what I’d expect from the former ruler of the Sharl!
I’m sure people will appreciate your contribution if you give it your best shot!
Hey! What is this?! Why’re you acting so high and mighty?!
Aaah!
H-Hey, that’s dangerous! What’re you doing?!

This did at least briefly leave them with something to talk about other than the end of the world.

…No, I’m not even that. I’m a fool ignorant of the world, who can’t even stand on her own.
If you could…I’d like you to help me. I want to learn more.
Well…we can’t really stick around, but we can drop by once in a while.
Right. If there’s anything we can do to help, just ask.
Thank you so much!
…By the way, who are they?
Huh? You don’t know them?
I’m sorry, but…no.
Why doesn’t Kanon know Prim or Nelo if she was working with Zill?
I-I don’t know. Maybe Zill was hiding something? She’s the type who would.
…Do you think we shouldn’t tell her?
I don’t think we should go out of our way to, no. Just tell her what she needs to know.
Okay… Right, got it.
…What are you two whispering about?
N-Nothing. Anyway, they’re just some people we know, don’t worry about them.
All right. I’ll leave it at that.

They then got a bit more information as to why they weren’t going to be able to talk to Cosal from her.

The Combination Tournament is supposed to start soon.
It is a competition between human and Sharl pairs who have woven Song Magic, to compare their power.
It’s very impressive to watch.
…Cass, go have Nelo and Prim play around the back of the shop.
O-Okay.
H-Hey Prim! Nelo! Look at this bird-shaped… Um… What is this…!?
Oh, that’s…
Wait! Kanon!
Wh-What is it?

Delta took her aside and explained the current situation.

…What do you mean?
It looks like Zill forced the womb of the planet you created with your Song Magic to develop.
Because of that, the souls of the humans in the Flask Sea are being absorbed now.
If that isn’t stopped, this place will disappear, the ship will stop functioning, and everyone will die.
So before that happens, we need to make this place as small as possible, to conserve the ship’s energy.
Can you ask Cosal to do that?
I-I think that would be difficult. Cosal won’t meet with common citizens during the tournament.
I-I’m just a human who can no longer gain an audience with him. I…I can’t help you.
I see… This is a problem…
U-Um…Delta?
What is it?
Why are we whispering about this?
Oh… Uh, you know, it’s not really something we should let kids hear about, right?
Th-That’s true, but…um…
Did you think of something!?
No, it’s just… Your face is a little close and…

It should be remembered that they’re both awful at covert operations, so of course Nelo had been listening for some time.

No, it’s fine.
I didn’t mean to do anything weird. I’m serious.
Really, I don’t mind. Besides, you have plenty of other things to worry about.
Can’t you and Cass just enter the tournament?
Aaah!
W-Were you listening?
Yes. I heard about half of it.
But Delta and I are both humans.
That’s right. The tournament is an opportunity for humans and Sharl to test their bonds.
But…if you were to enter, you could probably win fairly easily.
I can sense a deep bond between the two of you.
Th-That’s not really true…
Cosal will be attending the tournament, so if you win, you should have a chance to speak with him…

Delta meanwhile had a very correct opinion on Cosal’s actions.

Soon as he gets his own body, he just throws Kanon away like she’s garbage.
Hey! Delta! Think before you speak!
It’s all right. You spoke the truth. This is most likely due to my lack of devotion.
I could never oppose him.
But didn’t you tell him because that’s how you really felt, Kanon?
I can’t forgive him for just pushing you aside like that.
The Sharl all work together to choose the best path to the future.
They honor the whole over the individual, and selfish thoughts are considered among the worst evils.
They devote their lives to their community, and will die for it as well.
But…this is likely something that humans cannot truly understand.
…Yeah, I know I sure don’t.
He he… That’s okay too.
…I feel a little better after speaking with you.
You seem to have a mysterious charm.
He’s just a braindead idiot. Don’t let him fool you.
Excuse me?!
You wanna make something of it?!

Prim continued to really not ‘get’ her parents at all. Though I guess that’s maybe always how things go.

They’re just showing how much they love each other, Prim.
…You’re kidding, right?
You must be bored with this little store. Is there anything you want?
It’s not boring; it’s full of weird stuff. I like it!
The surface is way nicer than where humans live!
He he… You make me feel like opening this shop was worthwhile after all.
We should probably get going, though.
What should we do, though? I don’t think we can just wait for the tournament to end…
We should gather more information.
I guess… We don’t really have a choice.
All right. See you later, Kanon.
Of course, come back any time. You’re always welcome.
We’ll be back, don’t worry.
Ionasal, Delta, Casty… They’re all moving forward.
I feel as though I’m frozen in time, left behind…
How shameful… Was Kanoyeel kkll Preciel always so pathetic?
…No, I wasn’t.
Thank you, Delta, Casty.
I believe it is time I worked a little harder myself.

They left Tenryosara and headed to Honokano to try and find a new lead. By happenstance they encountered another of Ion’s friends.

Huh? Me?
Hey, do you two happen to know a human girl named Rin?
Rin? I’ve never heard of her.
Me neither.
Hm… We’ve had a lot more human guests lately, I thought maybe somebody might know her…
You two are here because you passed Judgment too, right?
Did you ever see a girl named Rin?
No… We haven’t even gone through Judgment, anyway.
Really? That’s amazing! How did you manage to get here!?
…Huh. I thought that’d scare you.
I’ve heard a lot about humans from Vio.
Vio?
That’s me. Nice to meet you.
How…how cute.
Just because you have the hearts of demons doesn’t mean you’re always angry like one.
I know that much, at least.
What do you mean, hearts of demons? That’s pretty rude.

I think Delta maybe just really liked getting whacked by Cass given how often he walked into these obvious traps.

Yah!
Guh… S-See…? Just like that…
Ha ha ha ha! You’re funny!
This is the first time I’ve met humans who havn’et passed Judgment, but you’re not scary at all!
It must be fate that we met here. Want to come to my store? It’s really close.

And so they dropped in on the drug store.

Right? Go right ahead and buy whatever you want.
There’s a lot here, but most of it looks like medicine?
Well yeah, that’s because this is a “Healing Retreat”!
Huh… Oh, these herbs look like they could make a good garnish.
Garnish?
Heh, well I actually run a restaurant. I’m just on break right now.
Really!? That’s awesome!
No, you’ve been fired, Delta.
When was I fired!?
Are you serious? Your restaurant’s name, menu, and customers were all taken by Nay.
That’s basically the same as being fired.
I-If I just go back, my customers will come back and I can cook whatever I want!
All right, settle down… Stop arguing before your demons take over.

Actually meeting a Sharl seemed to have perhaps given them a new perspective on things.

Cuisine…?
Yeah, I could even put top-class chefs to shame.
Wow, that sounds great. I always wanted to serve food here too.
Do you think you could teach me how to cook some time?
Sure, of course. I’m Delta, it’s nice to meet you.
Well I’m Tattoria. It’s nice to meet you too!
I’m Casty. Nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too, Casty.
You seem to have pretty good people skills, Tattoria.
Really? I think all Sharl are like this.
I haven’t met many humans though, so maybe you should call them “Sharl skills.”
Heh heh!
Ha ha ha ha!

This, however, did not obviously take them any closer to speaking with Cosal. For the moment they were stuck, but perhaps the solution was closer than they could anticipate.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: An Interlude

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Feinne posted:

Heh heh!
Ha ha ha ha!

Delta finally finds a kindred spirit.

So does Zill locking down Cass' genometrics do anything else? I'd imagine it'd have another sort of adverse effect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
So Zill's just suck hovering at the end of that platform now? Must get pretty boring.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love how trying to talk Zill down to stop her went exactly as well as all the other times they tried that in both games. :geno:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Argas posted:

Delta finally finds a kindred spirit.

So does Zill locking down Cass' genometrics do anything else? I'd imagine it'd have another sort of adverse effect.

Fortunately as she suggested it seems she's looking for something specific in the world she attacked, and thus we can still go into any place except the Land of Death.

One cool thing that also ties well into the fact that we inadvertently chained with Zill, that command she used when she tried to absorb us started out exactly the same as the commands to Chain we've seen, it just had different targets than the normal NAME<=>NAME_2.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just imagine Cass face-palming so hard at that last conversation there. Delta and Tattoria make quite the team. I'd love to see that scene beyond VN style, just both of them grinning and laughing as if they told the best joke ever with an increasingly embarassed Cass in the background.

Also Kanon seems to want to do stuff which is always good, especially since Zill has definitely hosed things up quite a bit more than expected. "Everyone will die"-level hosed, in fact!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I just imagine Cass face-palming so hard at that last conversation there. Delta and Tattoria make quite the team. I'd love to see that scene beyond VN style, just both of them grinning and laughing as if they told the best joke ever with an increasingly embarassed Cass in the background.

Also Kanon seems to want to do stuff which is always good, especially since Zill has definitely hosed things up quite a bit more than expected. "Everyone will die"-level hosed, in fact!

It's not voiced so I didn't include the video of it, but that is totally what actually happens in the scene. I'll go cut a video real quick, hold on.

EDIT: The scene at the drug store in video form.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 20, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Ugh, what have I gotten myself into?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, there's a Sharl following you around, Delta.

Or is Prim, like, more Sharl than Sharl or something like that?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

You know, there's a Sharl following you around, Delta.

Or is Prim, like, more Sharl than Sharl or something like that?

So, Prim's a Genom of sorts, which is to be fair just a different name for a very similar thing.

Update tomorrow that finishes up Kanon's shop scenes for quite some time, and I'm going to do something similar for Tattoria in a few updates too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The problem with using Prim as a partner is that Prim doesn't really like Delta.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
The remainder of our entire species is either fused with Bazongas McHitler, being turned into spaceship fuel, or hiding in a closet in Quanturf.
Our biggest hope is a giant naked furry, who's also a big jerk; our best weapon right now doesn't do much more than giving McHitler's hive mind indigestion.
Our resources are two flavours of tsundere, a robot, an amnesiac idiot and Ion, and we have manage our diplomated efforts whilst Prim has her rebellious teenager phase, telling us how much we suck.

We really should have used a mind condom.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

Our resources are two flavours of tsundere, a robot, an amnesiac idiot and Ion,
So what you're saying is, we're anime invincible.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh, hey kids. Yeah, I’ll be watching you again today, and I’ve been told I’m absolutely not supposed to go sneak off and do anything criminal. So let’s just get on with this, I guess. Something with a classy lady and her shop I guess.

Perfect timing! I need a hand, please... I don't think I can keep this up.
Sharl A: Kanon! I want a Chunpi!
Sharl B: I asked for the green one! Not the yellow one...
I-I'm sorry! I'll bring you the correct one right away-!
Sharl C: I filled out the order form for a red Chunpi. Did I do it right?
Oh no... Here, let me take that for you!
Whew... That was a close one.
Thank you so much, Ionasal. I've no idea what would've happened if you hadn't shown up.
Well, we're like partners. Of course I'll help out.
In fact, I owe you an apology for leaving you alone when things are bursting at the seams.
No big deal... You have other things to work on, right, Ionasal?
We both know that, so there's no use worrying about it.
Besides, the fact that we have customers means we're doing something right.
So, true, we might be really busy, but at the same time, I'm somewhat relieved.
I’m sure it’ll make the Sharl happy./…Are you a little masochistic?
Yeah... It looks like Kanon is overjoyed by the traffic.
I think the Sharl continue to come because they know that's true.
Hehehe, it makes me glad to hear that.
Whoops, look at the time!
Now, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask, okay?

The guy working that robot is kind of boring sometimes.

Yes. I believe we talked about making something more chic.
Don't tell me... you finished!?
Yes. Here is the recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Imperial Souvenir Guide]!
Huh...? A souvenir... Guide?
Yes, well... When you said ornaments and decorations, the first thing that came to mind was souvenirs.
But, I imagine this will create these "chic" items of which you speak. Not a wooden sculpture of animals...
So, it's the perfect item for a gift shop or souvenir shop, right?
Why, yes... Is there a problem?
Um, I think it's not quite what I was hoping for...
[Why did you make a souvenir-like item? As opposed to a normal one?
You see, one of the Sharls told me,
"Wouldn't it be fun if more people from outside came to play?"
So, I've decided it would be great to have a series of items that are unique to where we are.
You’ve got a point there./Is that really how it works?
Oh, you think so, too? Well, it looks like I've made the right choice.
It's possible if we have a lot of specialty items, it might help us gain more traffic.
But... Next time, I want a recipe that's more than just souvenirs...
Ah-! But, I mean... It would be nice to have other items as mascots, and not just Chunpis... You know?
I'll see what I can do.

Also what’s with those weird fairy things, I thought I remembered those being the bad guys or something. I don’t know, I wasn’t listening when your mom tried to summarize the actual story.

That said, I'm no professional, so there's no guarantee I can give you the advice you want.
Sharl: Don't worry! If there's one person we trust, it's you, Kanon!
Umm, what's going on here?
Oh, Ionasal. Just a minute, this kid was just about to tell me what's on his mind.
Sharl: No, it's okay. I'll go... I don't want to get in the way, and it's not an emergency or anything.
Oh, really... Well, feel free to drop in anytime!
Sharl: Yeah! Buh-bye, Kanon, Ion!
...What was that about?
Well, it was about what someone would need to run their own store...
Evidently, they want to see a fancy shop with lots of cute items...
Whoa... A shop managed by Sharls. I think I'm in love...
I wonder what kind of store it will be!
But, me? Giving advice on that?... I just kind of fell into this position, so I'm not sure what to tell them...
True... I didn't really study economics.
We could take this opportunity to learn more about it...
You’re so serious, Kanon./Doesn’t seem necessary to me.
Hmm...
It's studying something you don't understand for the sake of knowledge. I enjoy that.
I know it's something I should learn, but... I just feel like the standard is too high for me.
And, I might actually be able to answer people's questions better.
So I guess I've decided to study up!
...I could learn a lot from you.

I guess some of them are okay or something? Whatever, doesn’t matter.

Oh, I can hardly wait...! What did you make this time?
Do you remember that a Sharl asked me a few questions a while ago?
I did a lot of studying after that, and used what I learned to make a recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Introduction to IP Business]!
U-Um, IP business...?
Of course. I've just finished studying the material myself, so it helped to review.
I think I've made it pretty appealing. I was hoping that Sharl children would read it, too.
Hmm, when you put it that way, it's much easier to understand...
Is it just me or does this recipe really highlight Chunpi...?
Yep. I've decided to take your advice and stock up on more cute things.
But they won't just be cute, they also have to have a practical, everyday use.
Yes, well... Looking at the recipe, it certainly seems like that...

Going to have to disagree, you should definitely all-in when you’ve got a winner.

I remember.
But if you wanted to create a new character, you can't just throw it out there without introducing it...
People wouldn't notice it, so it would just disappear...
Y-Yes, but... Only having Chunpis...?
That's why we need to spread Chunpi's popularity by focusing on merchandise.
Not just focusing on its cuteness, but promoting the usefulness of our other merchandise.
Then, you mean we shouldn't make a new character yet...?
Yeah, I think it's still too soon.
Besides, making a new character means making stuff to go with it.
We've only just opened our store, it would be risky to make too many original characters.
I think having a lot of cute items would make the Sharl happy, though!
You can't live on cute items alone. We have to build our reputation slowly while we're running this shop.
What do you think? I'm not wrong, am I?
No... You're not.
That doesn't mean I think you're wrong...
But it'll take some time before I can make the items you want.
...Do you trust me?
Of course! I'm looking forward to it.

They’re sort of endearing, these Sharl things. I’d love to have them as customers.

Sharl B: That must've been tough for you. It's not anymore, though, right?
Yes... I've actually been enjoying myself lately.
It's all thanks to you guys...
Hello!
Sharl A: Hey, it's Ion! Yay!
Ah, were we having a conversation?
Sharl C: Yeah, we were learning about Ra Ciela.
Ra Ciela...?
Yes, it seems these girls never lived on Ra Ciela, so they were asking me what it was like...
Sharl B: Ion, tell us about Ra Ciela next time, okay? Kanon said you know a LOT more than she does.
Huh? I-I'm not so sure about that...
Ion’s a professor on Ra Ciela./(Silently watch the events unfold)
Don't fill their heads with lies... What if they believe you?
Sharl C: Ion, you're a professor of Ra Ciela, right? That's amazing!
Sharl A: We have to tell everyone! I'm sure they'll be really surprised, huh?
S-Stop that! I'm not a professor of anything-!
Sharl B: I'm heading out now... Good luck with your work!
Whew... That was exhausting... Is it because they're young and energetic?
Hehehe, they seemed to be enjoying themselves, though. And so were you.
Definitely.
They want to hear it from you, too, not just me.
I see...
I'm kind of glad they feel that way about us.
I'm a bit interested in your story, too, Ionasal.
What you do while I run the shop...
I want to hear those stories someday, too.
Of course I will!
And in exchange, you have to tell me all the fun stories from the store, okay?

I mean you could sell them anything.

Oh, of course...
Hm? Is something wrong? You seem a little down...
No, no... I'm not...
So, um... What were you aiming for with this recipe?
Remember the Sharls that came in the other day?
They mentioned wanting to know more about Ra Ciela, right?
Yes, that's right.
So, I've taken items related to Ra Ciela and turned them into a recipe!
Enough talking...! Here, take a look at the recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Ra Ciela's Ecology]!
Ionasal?
Uh, I don't think the Sharl were terribly interested in Ra Ciela's ecology.
Probably more like fun places, or good memories.
I see what you're getting at, but these kids don't know anything about how Ra Ciela actually is...
So, learning about the items from this recipe might help their understanding of Ra Ciela.
But... Do you really need to teach them about its ecology...?

I kind of think that robot must just have been hitting on the classy lady because he was way too nice to her.

Maybe, but I think you might've gone too far this time...
No way. I made it because I wanted them to be happy.
I understand, but... I still think you've overdone it.
I mean, they were asking about the fun things and places on Ra Ciela, right?
It's important to focus on what they're looking for...
Pretend we asked someone about another planet, and they started explaining its ecology...
...I think I might regret asking them.
But the living environment is so different between Ra Ciela and Soleil.
Besides, if they have an interest, I think it's important to learn some of the basics.
You're not wrong, but...
But, I think it's a bit much to dive into the ecology first.
We have to make them interested or they could lose interest very fast...
Sharls are curious. I don't think they would see it as "studying".
Th-They are...!?
Yes. That being said, maybe ecology would be a bit much as an introduction...
No, the Sharl are super curious. I don't see why they wouldn't be interested in those topics.
That said, perhaps it was too soon to make them learn about a planet's ecology...
I understand. I'll change up some things and start with something a little more engaging.
That's a great idea!
System Message: Returned the recipe for [Ra Ciela's Ecology]!
In that case, you should decorate it with items highlighting the animals and flowers of Ra Ciela.
Does it have any special functions? Other than looking pretty...?
Uhh... Well, I thought it was a great idea. But, maybe they'd still like it if you put some gadgets on it?
Well, it'd make me very happy if it was all in the recipe.
...I'll think about it.

Not that she’s not pretty hot, totally worth going for.

Whoa, it's done? I'd love to have a look...
Yes. I hope this works.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Ra Ciela's Ecology]!<CLNR>
Whoa, you're right... It already feels a lot lighter than the previous.
You can tell just by looking at it?
Well, last time there were a lot of heavy-duty items, like encyclopedias and life-sized replicas...
I wanted to be thorough, but after hearing your advice I changed my mind...
It would be wrong to have their first impression of Ra Ciela be so... Dense.
True... Like giving a beginner professional-grade equipment.
At any rate, your input really helped me out, Ionasal.
I need to start carrying my own weight as your business partner anyway, right?
Y-You're exaggerating...
And there's something else I have to tell you.
For my next recipe, I was thinking about making something that you might like.
R-Really...!?
Yes. As I was tweaking the recipe I made today, it dawned on me.
It's also something I like, so I think you'd love it.
Hehe, alright. I can't wait to see it!

Well, whatever. Getting close to the end of this, thankfully.

Remember, you're a partner of this store. You can't just barge in and say that.
Hehehe... Sorry.
I was so excited, I couldn't help myself!
Sheesh... You're a strange one.
But I'll admit I'm happy to hear you've been looking forward to it.
Yes, I am... Well? Did you finish it yet?
Hehehe, yep.
I'm so excited for you to see it! I've been holding onto it until you came in.
Wonderful! Oh gosh, stop teasing me!
Okay. Here you go...
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [In the Afterlife]!
Hehehe, you look pretty surprised.
Ionasal. Have you heard of pious acts?
Huh? Uhhm... That's when you do something good in this lifetime so it helps you in the next...?
Exactly. I'm impressed.
However, to Sharls, life itself is a concept they can't grasp, so they don't think about the afterlife.
I made this recipe hoping that the Sharl could understand the afterlife, even if it was just a little bit.

Also that lady’s kinda dumb I think.

Huh!? O-Oh, right... Umm...
It's just... different from what I had in mind, so...
I mean, they don't actually die, so is that recipe even necessary?
That's not true.
They might not die naturally or from illness, but it's possible for them to die from external causes.
Still, their understanding of death is pretty limited. They believe it is "returning to nothing".
So I wanted to teach them that death isn't the end, but a path that leads to another life.
Don't you think that thinking of death as "returning to nothing" is so lonely...
Maybe, but...
There’s nothing to make Ion happy./Is that something for the store?
Miss Kanon, we had a deal...
You promised to make a recipe for interior decorations...
Don't worry, I didn't forget.
But you can't have a discussion about the afterlife without religion coming into it.
Eventually we'll need to make fancy decorations and statues. Then you'll understand.
Decorations... Beautiful...statues.
Are you worried? Do you need me to explain in more detail?
No, I'm pretty sure I understand...
I think we can make something amazing, so I'm keeping my hopes up.
I-I see... That's a relief.
I can't wait 'til I make it so I can show you!

Didn’t really seem to get what she was being asked for.

Actually a few Sharls were in here talking until a little while ago...
Did they ask about Ra Ciela a lot?
Yes, because of the recipe I made. They were curious about the system of government.
Do you understand now?/I don’t think it would be a fun conversation.
I was wondering about that... It seems like a detailed topic, how could you cover it in one conversation?
...You're right.
They paid so much attention during my lecture, I thought I'd struck a chord...
But afterward they told me "We really couldn't understand what you were talking about, but it was fun."
It's a difficult topic, so it might not be the best thing to start a conversation with...
Maybe you should've started with something easier to understand...?
Easier to understand... For example?
Umm, like there's a delicious cafe and you love the things they serve... Or something.
Umm, or... That you love to collect things.
...No good?
That's not it…

Though I guess that’s not really a surprise.

Ahh, I should've known... But I didn't think it would be this bad.
But a conversation like that isn't so different from talking about cafes here. I didn't see the point.
Instead, I wanted to teach them something unique about Ra Ciela. Right...?
But...
...Y-Yes, I suppose you're right. Maybe it was good you taught them something unique...
Exactly.
Oh, if the Sharl ask you any questions about Ra Ciela, I think you should talk about its astronomy.
O-Okay...

I mean who the hell is a grown adult and hasn’t done things like that? Oh, um, language I guess? Whatever.

I see... What kind of recipe is it?
Well, how about we talk about it after you take a look?
When I noticed it, it really surprised me, too.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Traditional Eastern Medicine]!
...Eastern?
Yes. What do you think?
...I think the "traditional" part is very you, Miss Kanon.
...Do you think the Sharl catch colds?
Huh?
A cold. Like when you don't dry yourself off after taking a shower...? That kind of cold.
Well, do you think the Sharl can catch colds?
Well, they're alive, right? So...
Maybe they can heal it with Song Magic before they even realize it's a cold.
The answer is... They don't!
Huuh!? T-They don't!?
Yes... Which is why Sharls are fine even if they don't layer their clothes.
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen Sharls in heavy clothing.
So... The reason you've made this recipe is...?

Hah I actually once did sell medicine to give people colds. But that’ll have to wait for another day.

Yes. Because they can't catch colds, they're curious as to what it's like.
...It was a rather strange request, so I wasn't sure what to make of it in the beginning...
But, I think I kind of understand.
Haven't you felt like that at some point? Knowing something isn't necessary, but unable to let it go?
I'm guessing you've felt like this before.
Yes. When I was younger, I saw another child wearing glasses... And I really wanted to try them on.
This seems similar to what they're experiencing.
Interesting behavior, to be sure...
But I thought it would be a bad idea to give them real medicine, which is why I made the recipe.
Hmm... I don't think this is what the Sharl are after...
...Is there a problem?
Well, we might be able to use it when we catch colds, too... So it could be alright.
Ah, that's a relief to hear.

Because, looks like story time is over. Now take a nap, I’ve got crime to coordinate from your house.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: An Elephant Moai

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tomorrow assuming I'm not too buys playing DMC4 Special Edition you'll get to see a truly amazing solution to our current problem.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Genom seem to be really curious, almost childlike. It's no wonder humanity exploited the poo poo out of them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

She actually stayed all day, I can’t believe it. Oh, sorry, don’t worry about it. I think last time Delta and Cass got kind of stuck in their attempt to talk to Cosal, right? Well, then I think it’s time to get a new perspective on things.

Feinne’s Notes:
We need to talk to Tattoria as Ion and Earthes to progress further.[/i]

Man: Thanks, I owe you one!
Sharl: But this is a little embarrassing…
Man: Don’t say that, you’re really cute.
Sharl: He he, that makes me happy.
You two really get along. I’ve got rooms if you need one!
Hello.
Oh, Ion! Welcome!
Hello Ion.
It’s unusual for you to have customers.
That’s kind of harsh…
Man: Anyway Tattoria, we’ll be going.
Sharl: We can’t get in the way of other customers.
I wish all humans and Sharl could get along as well as you two…
Sharl: …She hasn’t noticed at all. You’re pretty good, Tattoria.
Of course! Who do you think I am!?
…Huh?
Man: Heh heh. See you later.

Something was, of course, up.

My medicine is perfect! I feel like I’ve finally made something useful!
Um, I… What didn’t I realize?
Quit bragging, and tell us./That “girl” was actually a guy, right?
Oh, I’m sure you’re so curious you won’t be able to sleep, Earthes. Heh heh heh… I feel great.
Tattoria, it’s not good to act that way. The level of your soul is going to drop.
Oh right, that’s no good. But this really is a secret medicine.
Secret medicine?
Yes. Secret medicine. But I do owe you two my life, so I’ll tell you about it.
This medicine is called “Sharl Transform.”
Oh, so she turned into a Sharl?
What!? Hey, Earthes! How did you know!?
Um… Well the name makes it pretty obvious. Even I know what it does.
That’s right! This is a magic medicine that will instantly turn you into a Sharl when you drink it!

Hmm? Why do I think they’d do that? W-Well, you know, sometimes you want to change things up a little, dress up a bit or something, you know. Ugh, ask again when you’re older.

That’s amazing!
Right? But there’s a danger of it being misused.
That’s why I won’t make it, unless someone brings a certain special item, and says the password.
Tell me how to get it.
Huh? You want to know? Well, you’re special, so I’ll tell you, Earthes.
First, you need to bring “Frantrium Nectar.” This is an ingredient in the medicine. I have to have it.
Then, while handing the “Frantrium Nectar” to me, you say the following:
“Gimme an elephant moai for this.”
What do you think!? Pretty cool, right?
Y-Yeah, sure…
Hm? You want to try the Sharl Transform yourself, Ion? If you bring me the ingredients…
No! I don’t need it! I’m very happy being myself!
Oh, that’s a little disappointing. I’m sure you’d have turned into a really cute Sharl.
I-I think there are a lot of people who would be much better Sharl than me. Like those other customers…
Well, it’s fine. There’s not much point in forcing yourself to use it.

As it happened, they did have some other business with Tattoria and Vio.

Yes, actually there’s something we’re looking for…
What’s that?
Um… We want to know how to get to a place called “Sora.”
You’re asking quite a bit, Ion.
Sora? You mean that hollow triangular frame thing?
You know about it!?
Well, yeah. But it’s not really a place humans should go.
Sharl don’t even go there. There’s nothing there, anyway.
I see… Is there some way to get there?
There’s a spaceship.
What?!
Tattoria! Don’t you remember, that place was buried under the land a long while back.
Wh-What? Really?
Yes, really. Did you really forget? You used to go there all the time, but one day it just turned into a meadow.
Oh, right…
So it’s buried now?
No, wait! I heard recently from a customer that they found some ancient relics nearby, at the Airport!
What!? So it’s there, then!?
No, that was a lie! All that’s there are sweeping green fields!
So it really was buried?

Which led to a really, really dumb argument.

Then we really can go!?
…Seriously, let’s just go take a look.
Yeah! That’s the only way to find out! It’s always best to see things for yourself!
I think it would just be a waste of time.
Alright then, if the Airport really is there, you’re making dinner tonight, Vio. Deal?
You’re on.
Then it’s decided! Lead the way!

You would think that this must have happened after Delta and Cass went to talk to them, and it probably did from some perspectives. Anyway, back to Delta, where he decided to get some more information from Tattoria.

Not really… I heard it’ll continue until someone beats Lord Cosal.
Is that even possible?
I don’t know… But I hear regular Sharl faint just by seeing Lord Cosal.
Y-You’re not talking about fighting, are you?
Alright… Tattoria.
Yeah?
There’s something I want to ask you.
What’s with you? Just say it.
Please… Harmonize with me!
No way. That’s creepy.
C-Creepy…?
Do you guys want to enter the tournament or something?
Yes, we need to meet with Cosal for…reasons.
Huh… I’m not really very good at fighting, though.
Besides Delta, I hardly know you. I wouldn’t be very strong even if we did Harmonize.
I…I guess so.
Shoot… We need to do something to get close to Cosal.
But…what?
I really can’t help you…

Feinne’s Notes:
Now that we’ve seen that scene with Ion and Earthes, we can ask Tattoria for an Elephant Moai from the shop menu. We also need a Frantrium Nectar, which we can pick up in the Bezelielpurger (the place where we dropped in on Nelo and Zill chatting).

Delta, however, knew what to do. Even if he didn’t like the answer for how he did.

Video- “The Change”

Watch

Wha-!? Delta? How did you know that!?
Does it really matter? I really don’t understand what’s going on, but can you do it, or not!?
O-Okay… But are you sure about this? If word gets out, it’ll be more than just a slap on the wrist.
Y-yeah, of course! …Not that I know what that means.
Alright. Hang tight for a bit. I’ll go get that medicine for you. …Heh heh heh.
What did you order?
I’m not entirely sure myself… I just said some words that came to mind, and…
He looked kind of evil…
…Yeah, I thought so too. But, I’m sure it’ll turn out fine.
How can you be so calm…?
It’s just a gut feeling… I just know it’s all going to work out.
Thanks for waiting!
Tadah! Here’s my secret medicine!
What…is that? That’s a weird looking bottle.
This medicine is called “Sharl Transform.”
Drink it, and anyone can turn into a Sharl, at least for a little while.
And I don’t mean just looks. You’ll take on everything, down to a Sharl’s scent!
Th-That’s it! I can’t believe this… I was just looking for something like this!

Of course, actually drinking the stuff and turning into a Sharl was going to fall on Cass.

Whaa-!?
Whoa, hang on! A lot of customers really don’t understand this, but… This medicine works on the surface.
Drinking it doesn’t mean you can weave Song Magic. Forget about the tournament!
Oh, that’s not a problem. I can already weave Song Magic.
Wait, what!? Humans can use Song Magic…!? How is that even possible?
It’s actually a really long story. You mind if I tell you some other time?
…What a tease…
Anyway, could you tell us a bit more about this medicine of yours?
Well, this medicine is for humans who come to Sharanohiar that want to experience being a Sharl.
But since the transformation is so accurate, you can see how some people might take advantage of it.
That’s why I only make it for people who know the “password” that you heard Delta say earlier.
That’s all there is to it. Now you know what it does, and I can guarantee it’s not dangerous. Don’t worry!
Just relax and drink the whole thing.
Wha-!? Y-You’re not serious…!?
I made it, so there’s nothing to worry about it.
That’s EXACTLY what worries me…

If Prim hadn’t been around they might not have convinced her.

Mmm, well, maybe for just a little while, if I drink this.
Woow! If you become a Sharl, your demon heart might be fixed, too!
I-I wonder…?
C’mon Cass, just chug it!
Don’t make it sound so easy, just because you don’t have to do it yourself!
This is the only chance we have! We can’t let it go to waste!
I-I know already!
Haaah…
* gulp gulp *
Well?
It’s sweet, and… Actually pretty tasty!
I mixed fruit into it to make sure it tastes good. Even kids can drink this stuff.
You actually put some thought into making it…
Now for the final touch.
Final touch?
Alright, let’s do this!
Lau-li-lau-li-la… Turn into an adorable Sharl!
Huh!?
Wha-!? What’s this!? Hey!

Anyway she turned into a Sharl, though it did not improve her disposition as Prim had hoped.

What’s happening---!?
O-Oww!
What’s going on!? Are you a demon? Did I just summon a demon!?
Don’t worry about it, Cass is always like this! And what was that for!? I didn’t even do anything!
This is not happening! Absolutely NOT!
H-Huuuuuh!? That was really hard to make, you know?
Like I care! We’ll think of another way, so turn me back!
What’s the big deal? Besides, you actually look pretty cute like that.
Wha!?
A-Are you an idiot or something!? What are you talking about!?
It made your breasts bigger, too… Two birds with one stone, as they say.

That was when she knocked him the hell out.

And YOU! Tattoria… Get over here!
Y-Yes…?
Turn me back, NOW.
I-I can’t!
I said do it.
It’s impossible! Once you’ve taken that, you need to wait for the effects to wear off…
WHAT!?
Aaah!
But you look so cute right now, Mommy.
I… I do?
Yeah!
…You seem a little like Prim.
Yeah, at least on the surface…
…Oh, whatever. Fine. Let’s get this over with. I just have to participate in the tournament, right!?
Hurry up before I change my mind!

Once Delta came to, they headed to Tenryosara and dropped in on Kanon.

Oh, Delta, welcom--!?
…Hello.
…W-Who is this girl?
Oh, that’s Cass.
You were a Sharl!?
I look like this because I drank some dumb medicine a weird Sharl kid from Honokano Village made.
Medicine to turn you into a Sharl…? I suppose there’s still much I do not know in this world.
I think you were better off not knowing about this.
Anyway, we’re going to have Cass pretend to be a Sharl so we can enter the tournament.
I see, there’s not much I can do, but… I pray for your good fortune.
Yeah, thanks.

They dropped in on her again for some final preparations, and she thought through a way she could help them after all.

Is business treating you well?
Yes, it’s moving along nicely.
Seems like you’re working pretty hard at it. But, are you okay? Physically, that is…?
It’s not like I was injured… So I’m okay now. Sorry to make you worry.
Haha, well, as long as you’re feeling better.
…I’m sorry to have caused you so much trouble.
It really wasn’t that much trouble…
No, if it weren’t for the two of you, I probably wouldn’t be here right now.
You’ve given me the courage to face forward… So for that, thank you very much.
You don’t have to be so formal with us. You’re the one who overcame your own struggles, you know?
If we helped you through the process, that’s great, but…
…Don’t forget, it’s your own strength that got you through.
Really, we didn’t do much.
Yes, what Delta said is true, so don’t blame yourself too much, Kanon.
Yes… Thank you very much.
Oh yes, as a thank you… Would you allow me to support the two of you?
Support?

She’d decided to do the best she could.

I think I should be of some use to you in combat.
Well, I’d feel pretty good about having you support us, Kanon.
Yes, but… Are you sure it’s alright?
Of course! I hope that you’ll be able to accept my feelings.
System Message: You’ve obtained Kanon’s Friend Skill, [Scramble Tag]!
Thanks, Kanon!
Yes. Please feel free to drop by my store anytime.
Of course!

With that done, they headed to the tournament.

Yes, we are.
Sharl: Then welcome to Tenryo Temple. Please come this way.
Sharl Chief: A welcome to those of you who possess powerful bonds!
We will now begin the Combination Tournament!
This atmosphere doesn’t exactly feel like we’re about to start fighting…
The Sharl always seem like they’re a little too easygoing.
Sharl Chief: The rules are very straightforward. Winners advance.
We have six teams today, so whoever can win three times will be declared the victor.
The victorious team will be given the right to challenge Lord Cosal, so give it your best shot!
Alriiiiight!
What…? Why are you so excited all of a sudden?
You really don’t understand anything do you? Matches like this are all about getting fired up!
…It must be nice to be so simple-minded.
Did you just make fun of me!?
I did! That should be obvious!
Sharl Chief: Wow, looks like this team can’t wait to get started! Alright then, you’ll go first!
Yeah! Bring it on!

With all they’d been through, fighting a few people and their Sharl partners was not likely to be much issue.

Loria: I’m Loria, and this is my partner Artena. It’s nice to meet you. Let’s make this a good match!

Feinne’s Notes:
We will be having three pretty easy fights in this section, they shouldn’t be a significant concern.

All right! Good work, Cass!
I’m just glad that ended quickly.
Loria: Wow, you two must have been really strong bonds! I’ve never seen Song Magic that powerful before!
R-Really…?
Loria: Yes, you have my respect. Now I know we need to train harder!
Thank you for the great match!
S-Sure.
Well, that was nice!
Sharl Chief: Please prepare for the second round. This will be the Delta team vs. the Shelshu team.
They’ve already won in the first round. Don’t let your guard down, Cass.
You too, Delta.
Sharl Chief: Are you ready? Very well, please begin!
Hey, so you’re our next opponents? Nice to meet you!
Shelshu:

Their second opponent was no tougher than their first.

All right, we’re doing good. Cass, you okay?
Yeah, this is easy compared to PLASMA missions.
Still…
Shelshu:
They sure were quiet…
Sharl Chief: It’s time for the final match!
The finalists are the following teams.
The Delta and Casty team!
The Faylon and Rutea team!
Faylon: So you two actually managed to get this far…? Have to admit, I didn’t expect that.
What’s that supposed to mean?
Faylon: You looked like the worst team I’d ever seen.
Wh-Why you…
Hey, Delta, calm down!
Faylon: Oh, did I hit a nerve? Sorry, I’ve always had a bit of a sharp tongue. I used to be worse.
Anyway, now that we’re here, let’s enjoy our match.
You really think you’re gonna be able to enjoy yourself?
Faylon: Well said… I hope you can provide enough of a challenge to let us work up a sweat.
Sharl Chief: Ready? Get to your starting positions…
And begin!

For all their talk, the last team fell just as easily as the first two.

Faylon: N-Not bad at all. You were pretty good.
Now let us exchange praises, my friends!
Uh… You were actually pretty we—
Great match! We should do this again sometime!
Sharl Chief: Congratulations Mr. Delta and Ms. Casty! You’ve won!
Thanks! It was actually pretty easy.
Sharl Chief: Your Song Magic was truly amazing. Not many pairs have such a powerful bond.
He he…
Sharl Chief: In any event, this means the two of you will be given the honor of challenging Lord Cosal.
As proof of this, please begin the ceremony of bonds!
Um, what’s the ceremony of bonds?
How would I know?
I-Is it bad that we don’t know?
…I’ll ask.

They almost managed to blow it by not knowing what they were supposed to do, and then by their reaction when they found out.

Yeah, uh, what was the ceremony of bonds again? Ha ha…ha…
Sharl Chief: What?
It’s a greeting that acknowledges your mutual bond.
No, I mean, how do you do it?
Sharl Chief: What an odd question. You kiss one another on the cheek.
A kiss?
Sharl Chief: A kiss.
…Him, and me?
Sharl Chief: Yes, now kiss.

Sharl Chief: You haven’t done this before? And yet you have such deep bonds?
H-Hey, Cass, I know what you’re thinking, but you’re gonna have to tough it out just this once.
Y-You can’t just say that.
You idiot, they’re totally suspicious of us! It could be really bad if we don’t do this!
Quiet! I know already!
Alright, then let’s go…!
Ugh, this is the worst!

On one hand it’s funny that they’d never done even this before, but then when you think about the two of them it’s not really a surprise.

Sharl Chief: There you have it, the ceremony of bonds between the victors!
Now please, come this way.
There, Lord Cosal will confront you directly!
If you manage to beat Lord Cosal… Any wish you desire will be granted!
…Granting any wish? Isn’t that a little too cliché?
W-Well, I guess that is fitting for the Sharl.
Sharl Chief: This concludes today’s Combination Tournament! Please look forward to your match with Lord Cosal!
Mommy and Daddy were amazing.
Yeah.
It’s weird… They’re always fighting, so why are their bonds so strong?
Bonds between people take many forms.
Do you have any bonds with anyone, Nelo?
No. I’ve been alone for a very long time.
And I think I’ve become too attached to the loneliness inside of me.
I doubt I could ever develop strong bonds with another person now.
…I see.
But I am enjoying being around you, at least a little.
Really?
Yeah.
That’s good.
The tournament was fun, wasn’t it?
Yeah!

They all headed to talk to Cosal, even Nelo and Prim. Unfortunately, he was still a huge jerk and totally useless.

Yeah… It’s been a long time.
…Ah, you.
You are nothing if not devoted, seeing as you transformed yourself into a Sharl to enter the tournament.
We came here to meet with you. There’s something we need to ask of you.
A request? Improve your souls, then return here.
Hey.
Mommy and Daddy are connected by really strong bonds, they proved that by getting here.
Also, Mommy’s a Genom. She can use Song Magic just like us!
You’re a Genom too, right?
Why can’t Mommy come here?
It is unforgivable for a soul with a false body to call themselves “Genom.” Do not mistake a body for a soul.
Our conversation is over. Leave this place at once.
Please, you have to listen to us!
Zill has turned into the Maternal Overseer, and she’s trying to consume the entire world.
As we speak, the souls of the humans you brought to the Flask Sea are being absorbed by her.
…The Maternal Overseer?
If we don’t do something, Sharanohiar will disappear, and the ship itself will cease to function.
Please Cosal, we have to work together!
We have to conserve energy, before the ship stops working!

Seriously, lord of the absolute morons.

Can’t you see that if we don’t do something then it’s going to be the end of humans AND Sharl?!
Then the weight of your sins exceeds the strength of your atonement.
You can preserve this ship by sending more humans into the Flask Sea.
What did you say?!
Delta, stop!

And that was when Sharanohiar began to vanish.

This is…
What happened, Cass!?
What do you mean, this place is shaking like crazy!
Shaking…? O-Oh, it is!
You didn’t even realize this place was shaking!? Is there something wrong with you!?

Sharl: Lord Cosal, Lord Cosal!
A large section of land near the Green Ocean Hills just disappeared!
…Please assemble the first class Sharl. We shall deal with this situation.
Sharl: Right away!
I told you!
This is a Sharl issue. It has nothing to do with you.
…Now leave.
Wait a minute!
No, stop! We didn’t come here to start trouble!
I know, I just--!
…Maybe we should go outside. More Sharl are going to be here very soon.
Nelo’s right. We need to leave.
…Yeah.

Their timing was good, because as they fled Cass’ transformation ended.

Aaah!
Did the medicine wear off…?
Looks like we barely made it.
We would’ve been in bad shape if they’d caught us.
Prim!
…Thanks.
For what?
You complained to Cosal, right?
I don’t know if I’d call it a complaint…
I just said what I thought.
Well, that’s good too. Thanks.

Delta stopped Nelo briefly after Cass and Prim had gone ahead.

…Hey.
What?
Could this be because I’m being manipulated by someone outside this world, too?
What do you mean by “this”?
You already know.
The fact that you lack sensation in your body?

I told you, if you ignore it, it will only get worse. You’ll drift further and further away from your body.
…It seems like I’ve already drifted pretty far.
I can barely feel my body, and my field of vision is getting really narrow. It’s bad.
Don’t worry, Cass and Prim haven’t realized it yet.
Yeah, I know. I’m not really sure where I’m going, but somehow I’m still moving forward.
I think I could still walk even with my eyes closed.
Can you believe it? My senses are so dull I can’t feel an earthquake, but I can walk without hitting anything.
I can believe it. That’s how it is, after all.

Things sure are looking pretty bad, aren’t they? Well, any more will have to wait for next time because it’s time you all got some sleep.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Interlude: Illness

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So...Delta losing part of his senses is probably the reason he can keep fighting without worrying about fatigue. Also, too bad he's too dumb to figure out even a rudimentary way of communicating with the player: just learning that the other person is human would probably be a big step up from whatever Lovecraftian horror Delta must think the player is right now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What would they even do to communicate?

"Alright, I have this game board we used to play with on Ra Ciela here. Send me a message, please!"

"B-U-T-T-S-L-O-L"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I mean, one-way communication from Delta to the player would be trivial. He'd just have to think of it and say something directly to them in a cutscene. It's only the other way around that's difficult, because in the end it's still a video game.

I feel like giving the player dialogue options really undermines this whole conceit. You're clearly not speaking them into a headset, or typing them in with the system keyboard, so where are they coming from?

In most games, the answer is obvious: they're things the character you're inhabiting might say in their current situation. But if I'm supposed to believe that there is no player character, and the player is the player is the player, and it's turtles none of the way down, shouldn't the player be able to say whatever they want as Earthes, or when they're possessing Delta? That's clearly impractical with our current technology, so in that case, surely it's better to make the player a silent protagonist.

Video games abstract things like this out of the way all the time, and that's fine, but when the game is going out of its way to remove layers of abstraction and put the player in the fictional world as themself, and it's a game that so clearly wants to me take its story and characters very seriously, I don't feel like that kind of dodge is really good enough.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Pollyanna posted:

What would they even do to communicate?

"Alright, I have this game board we used to play with on Ra Ciela here. Send me a message, please!"

"B-U-T-T-S-L-O-L"

At the very least, the player can control his movements directly, so a simple yes/no Q&A session is entirely possible without using words at all. Speaking of which, not using words is important here, because it's fairly obvious that Delta is being made to say things that neither he nor the player want him to say. That's where things are breaking down: Delta must think that the player is controlling his words (maybe even his thoughts) on purpose, when it's actually the interface between the two worlds that's failing. In fact, knowing that the interface with Delta is breaking down would probably be really useful right about now for everyone involved.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Huh. I figured they would've gone back and gotten Nay. But that would require an extra character in battle, so I suppose not.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

In most games, the answer is obvious: they're things the character you're inhabiting might say in their current situation. But if I'm supposed to believe that there is no player character, and the player is the player is the player, and it's turtles none of the way down, shouldn't the player be able to say whatever they want as Earthes, or when they're possessing Delta? That's clearly impractical with our current technology, so in that case, surely it's better to make the player a silent protagonist.

Programming "enough" options and reactions to those options would be extremely time-consuming and use too many resources for a trivial feature.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MarsDragon posted:

Huh. I figured they would've gone back and gotten Nay. But that would require an extra character in battle, so I suppose not.

Getting Nay wouldn't accomplish anything though. She's a Genomis like Cass, so having her would be the same as having Cass.

Also Cosal's existance is proof that the Genom being exterminated was a good thing, because if they allowed this rear end in a top hat to lead them, then I fail to believe the whole pure-soul race thing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MarsDragon posted:

Considering the last time the Sharl saw Nay she attempted to genocide-suicide the whole race, I'm not entirely sure they would be too keen on seeing her again.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Materant posted:

Considering the last time the Sharl saw Nay she attempted to genocide-suicide the whole race, I'm not entirely sure they would be too keen on seeing her again.

Eh the Sharl don't really hold grudges and don't really have a concept of death so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Even if Nay was willing to abandon the people she was protecting back at the restaurant to help us (which she wouldn't be), she'd also have to be willing to admit she's a Sharl in front of witnesses (which she's also not), AND then she'd have to Harmonize with someone. I kind of feel like she'd have the same general reaction to Delta asking to Harmonize as Tattoria did (namely yeah no get hosed), and while they might in principle be able to Harmonize since they wove song magic together I'm equally unsure how it'd go with Cass.

Ideally we'll have some more shop catchup with Tattoria tomorrow, we'll actually be done with this phases' shop scenes when his are finished.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Cosal's existance is proof that the Genom being exterminated was a good thing, because if they allowed this rear end in a top hat to lead them, then I fail to believe the whole pure-soul race thing.

I wouldn't be to sure, I mean I read the Ceil Nosurge summary and honestly considering the assholes humanity had leading them its a miracle that it took Cosal this long to become a humanity hating jerk. Honestly even with Cosal doing his best to be a jerk he still doesn't even begin to measure up to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

megamariox posted:

I wouldn't be to sure, I mean I read the Ceil Nosurge summary and honestly considering the assholes humanity had leading them its a miracle that it took Cosal this long to become a humanity hating jerk. Honestly even with Cosal doing his best to be a jerk he still doesn't even begin to measure up to them.

Yeah, I think at this point Cosal would be barred entry into the rear end in a top hat club by a cardboard cutout of Harvestasha Vista, with the caption "you must be at least this much of a jerk to ride".

• Locked thread