Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I know people who think they're smart for writing some toys in brainfuck and who brag about it whenever weird languages come up, so yes.

Do you think if Windows 95 were rewritten in brainfuck it would run any worse than the actual WIndows 95?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Michael J Fox with an abacus would run better than windows 95

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a political scientist a few years ago who did personality inventory tests with libertarians and had them do ethics tests, and the result was that they had measurable deficits in theory of mind and capacity for empathy, and that they accurately predicted that they cared less about fairness and harm to others than the people they see every day.
Anyone got a link to this? I'd love to read it if possible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Polybius91 posted:

Anyone got a link to this? I'd love to read it if possible.

Phone posting for now, but the researcher is Peter Ditto:

https://socialecology.uci.edu/faculty/phditto

His articles should be listed on his CV.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://webfiles.uci.edu/phditto/peterditto/Publications/Iyer%20et%20al%202012.pdf?uniq=-5wjp24

The actual paper, for those having trouble tracking it down.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So forget the thing about Moldbug and other DE types not being quick enough for the political conversations they think they've mastered. Let's say tomorrow his society comes to pass. Tomorrow we're all in the New United States of Libertopia and it's Strong Rule the Weak. What stops Ronda Rousey or a husky 10th grader from stuffing the entire "movement" in a locker for fun?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Because they've convinced themselves that they're the greatest minds this world has ever seen, and fully believe they can convince everyone else.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Razorwired posted:

in the New United States of Libertopia and it's Strong Rule the Weak. What stops Ronda Rousey or a husky 10th grader from stuffing the entire "movement" in a locker for fun?
Rousey/10th grader will naturally recognize their superior intelligence and the contribution their philosophy, science, and intellectual exploration can offer this brave new world, obviously.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Ratoslov posted:

What kind of mad-man would do this sort of thing? :psyduck:

It makes a weird kind of sense in a vacuum - zero is a 'singular' number, with properties unlike any other number, and it sits at the center of the number line (or the complex plane). It makes sense to identity that sort of uniqueness with Truth, letting all the myriad other number represent Falsehood. (And on a less mystical note, it makes certain conventions simpler - "a == b" becomes logically equivalent to "a - b", for instance.)

But you can make arguments for the conventional arrangement too, and in any case it's not worth reversing a convention as old as the field itself, especially since we really should be moving beyond nonsense type conversions like boolean -> integer.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Ugh absolutely not. I'm not even a computer programmer but I understand at least that in a number system with zero and place value, having a zero in a place value indicates a "No/False" -- is this place value represented in this number? 0 = No = False.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Technically speaking, it really doesn't matter if 1 is true and 0 is false so long as the entire system operates on the same paradigm or has an interface for the non-compliant portions. Of course, 1 equals true and 0 equals false is something of an industry standard, so there better be some sort of verifiable benefit from this departure or it's just some pointless tomfoolery.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Wales Grey posted:

pointless tomfoolery.

darkenlightenment.txt

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
0 = no value = no charge

1 = a value = a charge

The 1/0 convention was established because of the nature of electronic encoding. fundamentally, no matter what language you use, it ends up in binary when it's actually being processed. Reversing it, especially just for the sake of being different, is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of in computer science, and this is a field dominated by asinine people.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Alien Arcana posted:

(And on a less mystical note, it makes certain conventions simpler - "a == b" becomes logically equivalent to "a - b", for instance.)

Useless as this is in practice, I do find it pleasing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

0 = no value = no charge

1 = a value = a charge

The 1/0 convention was established because of the nature of electronic encoding. fundamentally, no matter what language you use, it ends up in binary when it's actually being processed. Reversing it, especially just for the sake of being different, is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of in computer science, and this is a field dominated by asinine people.

I'd imagine some of the logic gates would have to be physically built differently too or have a NOT added to them or something.

EDIT: Well I guess you could just declare that +5 volts is zero and 0 volts is 1 if you're an rear end in a top hat and want to be special...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

neonnoodle posted:

Ugh absolutely not. I'm not even a computer programmer but I understand at least that in a number system with zero and place value, having a zero in a place value indicates a "No/False" -- is this place value represented in this number? 0 = No = False.

Obviously the best way to arrange things is to have three truth values, not two: True, false, and unknown, represented by 1, 0, and the Optional/Maybe monad.

If you're creating an entirely new system it's nuts to not actually try to call out null separately since "no value" is such a common concept, and also to be entirely explicit about its propagation by using a monad.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

EDIT: Well I guess you could just declare that +5 volts is zero and 0 volts is 1 if you're an rear end in a top hat and want to be special...

Don't you mean “declare that -5V is zero and ±0 is 1”?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Jack of Hearts posted:

Useless as this is in practice, I do find it pleasing.
The TI-85 calculator did that; it was just as useless there.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Nydwracu is the foremost neoreactionary / formalist thinker after Moldbug.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Etalommi posted:

Scott Alexander is pretty explicitly not neoreactionary though, and Eliezer pointed towards his anti writings when asked about the subject.

If you know Scott Alexander then you'd know how big of a platform he gave neoreactionaries, being probably one of a few people who takes neoreaction seriously.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Merdifex posted:

If you know Scott Alexander then you'd know how big of a platform he gave neoreactionaries, being probably one of a few people who takes neoreaction seriously.

His most recent article was about NRx too. I wonder if he gets tired writing huge articles about how the truth is in the middle between far-rightism and the center-left.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

His most recent article was about NRx too. I wonder if he gets tired writing huge articles about how the truth is in the middle between far-rightism and the center-left.

Have you seen his tumblr? He follows and talks to no one but a select bunch of NRx and rationalists. Wesley included.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Have you seen his tumblr? He follows and talks to no one but a select bunch of NRx and rationalists. Wesley included.

Blah blah blah you're just using guilt by association to blah blah blah

There, Scott, if you're reading this, I just saved you a lot of time typing out your 12 part response.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Blah blah blah you're just using guilt by association to blah blah blah

There, Scott, if you're reading this, I just saved you a lot of time typing out your 12 part response.

Actually, someone pointed out the fact that Scott props up NRx and their lovely ideas on a pedestal and he had a three paragraph strongly worded response on tumblr. He said that since he once accused NRx of caring too much about white people, he's not really signal boosting them or anything

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Merdifex posted:

I wonder what it's like being the second-shittiest thing in the world second to a big pile of poo poo. Is it a saving grace or another layer of failure?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Jack Gladney posted:

I wonder what it's like being the second-shittiest thing in the world second to a big pile of poo poo. Is it a saving grace or another layer of failure?

I don't know, maybe you can check out his tumblr to see how high the pile of poo poo stacks. But then again, it's mostly him complaining about his lovely position in life (which is caused by the communist USG who just hate white men like him.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Merdifex posted:

I don't know, maybe you can check out his tumblr to see how high the pile of poo poo stacks. But then again, it's mostly him complaining about his lovely position in life (which is caused by the communist USG who just hate white men like him.)

Well I hate white men like him so I guess that one's accurate.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

This government oppression got me down man. Can't they just see/ That if they're sovereign like me/They'd be free?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That he's a... What's the word for the opposite of a useful idiot? Someone who thinks they're being fair and intelligent, but is actually giving the one side exactly what it wants at the expense of the other? Fellow traveler doesn't work unless we're counting Less Wrong, et al., as neoreactionary, but he cites Scott Alexander and Eliezer Yudkowsky with praise a little too frequently not be associated with them.

Yudkowsky hates Auerbach, ever since he wrote this article, bringing the thing Yudkowsky will forever be most famous for to wide attention.

Yudkowsky called Auerbach a liar on Reddit (can't find the link, sorry), Auerbach showed up on Reddit and said "cite errors plz", Yudkowsky blustered, Auerbach said "cool story bro, here's my editor's email, HAND."

(Auerbach's article is basically cribbed from the RationalWiki article without cite, because original and important thinkers only want to acknowledge the sources you might be impressed by.)

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this article comparing and contrasting the rationalist movement, libertarians, and the Dork Enlightenment? The basic thesis seems to be that all three are forms of anti-political politics created because nerds are too :spergin: to understand, accept, or do politics so they want to replace politics with mechanistic systems following rigid rule systems (respectively, logic, the free market, and :hitler:, distorted and fetishized into forms completely divorced from reality). I think he gives them way too much slack, though. Someone like Moldbug isn't really very smart, he is a stupid person's idea of what smart people write like.

Dude's an insider who knows the people he's talking about personally, and admits to being more than a little :spergin: himself.

You have to remember that neoreaction proper is a small and close-knit Internet subculture of no particular note that has only achieved any fame through creativity in their horribleness.

Woolie Wool posted:

Someone like Moldbug isn't really very smart, he is a stupid person's idea of what smart people write like.

That nostalgebraist (another who knows these guys but is not of them) piece cited earlier nails Moldbug. Also this and this. "It is the ultimate edgy subculture, in that it has no appealing qualities except being an edgy subculture."

While we're here, enjoy Moldbug's poetry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
That RationalWiki article wastes way too many words on something so stupid.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The ultimate Neoreactionary is perhaps Lyndon LaRouche, whose worldview encompasses not only kooky crypto-fascist politics and economics, but also srs bzns aesthetic philosophy that privileges Germany over the rest of Europe.

The followers stand on a street corner and sing Bach chorales or distribute literature about Kepler and the Platonic solids.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

I thought Countersignal was his tumblr name.

I mean, he changes it a lot.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

The ultimate Neoreactionary is perhaps Lyndon LaRouche, whose worldview encompasses not only kooky crypto-fascist politics and economics, but also srs bzns aesthetic philosophy that privileges Germany over the rest of Europe.

The followers stand on a street corner and sing Bach chorales or distribute literature about Kepler and the Platonic solids.

LaRouche is his own brand of crazy, which doesn't have much to do with Moldbug et al. Interestingly, despite his love of classical German composers and his antisemitism, he really hates Wagner.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Jun 21, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Stultus Maximus posted:

That RationalWiki article wastes way too many words on something so stupid.

yes, yes it does.

i mean

HOW DARE YOU SIR DISPARAGE MY HARD WON EXPERTISE IN THESE MATTERS

at least it's immaculately cited

The Neoreactionary movement article is shorter. Also includes the cite to the fact that Anissimov worries about the Basilisk.

divabot has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Jun 21, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

divabot posted:

The Neoreactionary movement article is shorter.

"Stung by accusations that they are spending their lives doing for words what Bitcoin does for electricity"

Yesssss.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tiberius Thyben posted:

"Stung by accusations that they are spending their lives doing for words what Bitcoin does for electricity"

Yesssss.

That's a pretty sick burn

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Silver2195 posted:

LaRouche is his own brand of crazy, which doesn't have much to do with Moldbug et al. Interestingly, despite his love of classical German composers and his antisemitism, he really hates Wagner.

Yeah I phrased my post badly -- I didn't mean that LLR is a neoreactionary of the same movement, but rather that he's an example of what happens when people and their batshitinsane ideology become cults unto themselves. Like I could see Moldbug and his followers becoming similar. That certainly has happened to a degree with Paul Elam.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Man, even if I saw this without any context I would assume this guy was some kind of douche. Why is it always so obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man, even if I saw this without any context I would assume this guy was some kind of douche. Why is it always so obvious?

If I saw this without context I'd assume it was like some The Onion poo poo because it's almost too perfectly hilarious.