Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's some real monkey's paw poo poo that they canceled the last attempt at Doom 4 for looking too much like Call of Duty when the last CoD looked more fast-paced and action-packed than anything that made it into the actual Doom 4 trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

It felt good when I got from level 1 to 50 from killing a Poring.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
our server has max level 1000 and you can donate for a special hat

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Having played a couple of MUDs with good design, and Really Really Enjoyed Asheron's Call... WoW being very bland -- given, I only played vanilla, and never bothered to grind to endgame -- and very much a rehash of existing ideas, made me question a lot.

Mainly because of its immense popularity and the way it affected other games in the genre. For how derivative and lacking in innovation it was (Go Blizzard), the influence WoW had on the genre was terrible.

I gave up on MMOs. It was the right move

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Check out this retard with the embarrassing nostalgia blinders on.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

"MMOs were very good when you had to spend thousands of hours grinding the same set of monsters over and over again to reach max level" - some retard

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Regardless of how stupid the reason he arrived at it, he made the right choice when he gave up on mmorpgs

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

At the time, I saw the grind problem and was hoping MMOs would move away from that concept. WoW just doubled down. The whole genre adopted this template, much to my chagrin.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 20, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The only grind in WoW is in the endgame, and that's just something you have to accept if you believe an "endgame" should actually exist.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I dunno, maybe they've changed it since vanilla. My free month went quickly from "oh, okay, they're doing quests decently" to "these quests are just masking a lovely grind". I made it to 35 and never bothered to see the endgame.

I kind of reject the concept that WoW is a good game. It was done well enough that I realized I really wasn't going to enjoy grinding in an MMO anymore, period. Perhaps I do look at some of the MMOs I had played before that with rose-colored glasses; it's still the moment I started questioning the entire genre I spent most of my time playing.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Check out this retard
/

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
WoW is a good game in an awful genre. The only part that isn't grinding is raiding at max level, and even that turns into a grind once you've gotten all of the content on farm.

DK64 made me start questioning collectathon platformers, especially towards the end when you have to 100% everything before you can fight the boss. I still ended up playing Star Fox Adventures after that even though I should have known better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jon Do posted:

I dunno, maybe they've changed it since vanilla. My free month went quickly from "oh, okay, they're doing quests decently" to "these quests are just masking a lovely grind". I made it to 35 and never bothered to see the endgame.

I stopped playing around Cataclysm and I can say that they changed up a whole bunch of stuff even from when I stopped playing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Jon Do posted:

I kind of reject the concept that WoW is a good game. It was done well enough that I realized I really wasn't going to enjoy grinding in an MMO anymore, period. Perhaps I do look at some of the MMOs I had played before that with rose-colored glasses; it's still the moment I started questioning the entire genre I spent most of my time playing.

I just don't see how "Follow these questlines that give lots of experience and lead you around the entire gameworld" is more grindy than "Stand in this spot and kill the same mob for dozens of hours per level"

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Jon Do posted:

"these quests are just masking a lovely grind".

WoW avoids this better than most other MMOs, but it's still questing in an MMO, how fun can it really get

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Thwack! posted:

It felt good when I got from level 1 to 50 from killing a Poring.

I mostly remember how even on midrate servers it was a horrible grindfest. How the gently caress is that game still making money?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Adam Bowen posted:

I just don't see how "Follow these questlines that give lots of experience and lead you around the entire gameworld" is more grindy than "Stand in this spot and kill the same mob for dozens of hours per level"
Perhaps 'boring' is a better descriptor than 'grindy'; I felt like doing the same kind of poo poo as I was in the other games but going back and clicking through boring dialogue wasn't a step forward.

That's probably because a lot of people played through the questline with a party; there wasn't anyone to party with at my level at that time. Perhaps they enjoyed it anyways. I felt like disliking the solo leveling process was a sign I was not going to enjoy the endgame either.

When I started realizing all WoW's content was at the end... it was like 'ok this whole 1-max level thing is a XX process of being bored you must go through before The Real WoW Starts Here'.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The vast majority of vanilla WoW content was leveling content. Like 95% or more of the content was below level 60.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

MMOs are awful, period.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ekster posted:

MMOs are awful, period.

Pretty much this

It's not that grinding is the template that WoW created for the genre, the genre is unsustainable without grinding.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The problem is the idea that a single game should be anyone's sole source of entertainment for months/years at a time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ekster posted:

MMOs are awful, period.

I love when an MMO rolls out new content but they have to make it challenging both to vets who are max level and people who are just coming in new so they offer this weird sloppy compromise that lets new players level up crazy fast because there's no other way to make everybody happy. MMOs seem like the most unrewarding shlock ever, and this is coming from someone who played Final Fantasy 14 for quite a long time before realizing its only purpose for me was something to do with my hands while I watched Netflix.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

drat Wind Waker is pretty, and also really boring

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

drat Wind Waker is pretty, and also really boring

When you're doing something it's great, it's just a shame a really significant amount of your time is spent doing absolutely nothing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the sailing a lot more than the dungeons. ww has some of the weakest 3d dungeons imo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

If the combat looks good visually or feels good to control, killing poo poo is way more fun than stupid quests.

I think the problem with MMOs is that they never decided to make combat, and therefore grinding itself, enjoyable. They just throw cinematic and big bosses at you along with quests.

Also having levels is pretty dumb if you want both poopsockers and newbies to enjoy your game.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

WW has great exploration and side dungeons/quests, but the overuse of song of command in the dungeons is kinda chafing.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Wamdoodle posted:

Post your memories of old games that started making you question gaming but you didn't realize it at the time because you didn't know any better.

The first Harry Potter GBA game was I think the last licensed game I ever bought, and it was jarringly bad coming off of renting the GBC one which was actually a pretty tightly-designed RPG.

Not an old game but DQ9's first couple hours made me realize that I only liked DQ games for the "lots of small arcs with world-saving not super emphasized" story, and that the combat hadn't really changed at all since DQ2. Put me off JRPGs for a really long while.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Oh yeah and another thing: DQ9's absolutely miserable framerate gave me headaches and is unacceptable in a goddamn handheld game. I don't think I've ever played another not-PC game that had such consistent slowdown on completely banal town-wandering and I have no idea how a professional development studio couldn't optimize their low-poly house models enough to make the most mundane task in a JRPG not run at like 12fps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i like the sailing a lot more than the dungeons.

thats some faint praise there

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ekster posted:

MMOs are awful, period.

Guild Wars 2 seems to be the only one whose developers attempted to actually change common issues people have with mmorpgs. They killed power creep and grinding isn't really much of a thing anymore because literally everything gives you experience points, even if it is just walking around the map. It's, dare I say it, a good memorpiguh.

I still get bored with it very, very quickly.

Edit:

Real hurthling! posted:

i like the sailing a lot more than the dungeons. ww has some of the weakest 3d dungeons imo.

The tomb dungeon was great, but that's about it, and the wind dungeon sucks but has a really sweet boss battle. Though that really doesn't say much because the game has only four dungeons. Majora's Mask does too, but its non-dungeon content is what makes that game a gem. WW's non-dungeon poo poo is just... sailing and cartography.

That said, I enjoy sailing in WW, but I can really see why people would find it boring.

No Such Thing posted:

but the overuse of song of command in the dungeons is kinda chafing.

Also this.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 20, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

The first Harry Potter GBA game was I think the last licensed game I ever bought, and it was jarringly bad coming off of renting the GBC one which was actually a pretty tightly-designed RPG.

Not an old game but DQ9's first couple hours made me realize that I only liked DQ games for the "lots of small arcs with world-saving not super emphasized" story, and that the combat hadn't really changed at all since DQ2. Put me off JRPGs for a really long while.

DQ9 is probably my least favorite game in the series. It's still pretty good but the massive change in gameplay direction followed by the abrupt decision to go back to the original gameplay style definitely shows.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the only good dq games are 2, 3 and 4

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only dq I played is 9 and I liked it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Guild Wars 2 was fun because instead of our guild grouping up to do raids/dungeons , we'd group up to do the weird platforming poo poo that was better designed than said dungeons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

the only good dq games are 2

uhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHH that may be the worst game in the series

DQ8 is radical btw if we're naming good ones

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

GW2 was the first time I played a MMO with goons and holy crap MMO goons are the worst, especially those starfleet dental spergs, it soured my experience in the game as a whole.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

8, 7, and 3 are my top DQs. 1 is fun to knock out at like 4x speed on a Saturday with some beer and friends, 2 has some neat ideas but is a slog, 4 would've been better if it didn't have the Generic RPG Questing second half of the game and was all little side-stories of minor heroes in the world, 5 was really solid but unremarkable other than the "take control of your dad in an unwinnable fight" thing Getting how game stories should be told way ahead of its time, and I haven't played 6 because the run was absolutely tiny and I don't want to pay a premium for it at the moment. 9 had a lot of potential and is fun because it's basically DQ3-2 but needed to actually stick to its guns on changing things up.

Broseph Brostar posted:

GW2 was the first time I played a MMO with goons and holy crap MMO goons are the worst, especially those starfleet dental spergs, it soured my experience in the game as a whole.

SFD gave me this av which I'm okay with but their bizarre hate-on for the more general goon guild taking things "too seriously" by wanting to play a video game in the way that wasn't their way was really bizarre. The not-SFD goon guild in GW2 was a lot better in my experience.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Guild Wars 2 was fun because instead of our guild grouping up to do raids/dungeons , we'd group up to do the weird platforming poo poo that was better designed than said dungeons.

That's really faint praise considering how janky some of those platforming segments were (I still loved them and hunted down every single one, there's something really rewarding about beating platform challenges in systems which weren't designed for them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

9 had a lot of potential and is fun because it's basically DQ3-2 but needed to actually stick to its guns on changing things up.

Eh, it was originally going to be a 3D action-RPG, presumably with a multiplayer focus, and the DS already had too many of those, nearly all of them being mediocre at best.

• Locked thread