Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
No marketing involved, but a local pizzeria had a "Coney island" pizza that had chili for sauce, cheese and hot dogs sliced like pepperoni and mustard on top. I looked at her funny but tried it and it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm laughing so hard at Pizza Hut failure they had exactly ONE thing they needed to do: deliver medium one or two topping pizzas cheaper than Domino's. You can get them for $12 from Domino's, just price match that poo poo and bombard you with "Do you want a 2L of [novelty soda to push onto customers] for only $2.00 more?" And they would rack in the millenial crowd overnight without pandering to them.

Seriously. Marketers don't like talking about it, but Millenials are loving broke and saddled with huge amounts of debt. Maybe Gen Y'ers want expensive organic artisanal ingredients and poo poo, but Millenials just want more pizza than the other guy will give them for the same price.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Big Mad Drongo posted:

you'd need to split Millennials into at least three separate categories to to get any decent metrics

Strauss and Howe came to this conclusion back in 1999 and nobody's following their advice yet, despite their statuses as the preeminent scholars in generational study. It's all just "GOTTA GET THEM MILLENNIAL DOLLARS" without understanding that marketing strategies targeting people born in '86 and people born in '96 shouldn't be identical.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Are Millennials really so much of a cipher? It seems like marketing to poor young-ish people would be simpler. Or if they can't crack the Millennials code, wouldn't it just make more sense to market to people who do have money? It seems like whatever the advertising model was that used to work no longer works and isn't ever going to work again, so why keeping spinning your wheels on it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Are Millennials really so much of a cipher? It seems like marketing to poor young-ish people would be simpler. Or if they can't crack the Millennials code, wouldn't it just make more sense to market to people who do have money? It seems like whatever the advertising model was that used to work no longer works and isn't ever going to work again, so why keeping spinning your wheels on it?

Yes. Everyone has been following the same decade old trends that every generation is better off then the last and wealthier then their parents. Not only that but the rise of the internet, especially with the advent of smarthphones means that it takes someone 15 seconds to find if there is a cheaper option elsewhere close by.

Case in point, Wegman's opened up a store close to brand new expensive rear end suburbs, but 6 months later the vast majority of people shopping there weren't hemp shirt hippies all about fair trade conflict free and dyanmic 20-30s with high profile jobs, it was the established locals and families from the "cheaper" areas who actually have disposable cash and like the idea of being able to go and get top tier premium ingredients they'd normally need to drive hours away to find.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Strauss and Howe came to this conclusion back in 1999 and nobody's following their advice yet, despite their statuses as the preeminent scholars in generational study. It's all just "GOTTA GET THEM MILLENNIAL DOLLARS" without understanding that marketing strategies targeting people born in '86 and people born in '96 shouldn't be identical.

By the most conservative estimate, millennials include anyone born from 1975-2000, and anyone with the slightest awareness of culture can point out 3-4 insanely distinct periods of time that would drastically alter buying habits.

Ignite Memories posted:

Seriously. Marketers don't like talking about it, but Millenials are loving broke and saddled with huge amounts of debt. Maybe Gen Y'ers want expensive organic artisanal ingredients and poo poo, but Millenials just want more pizza than the other guy will give them for the same price.

There's also probably a ton of push-back from companies who refuse to try for a "value" approach for their "esteemed" brands. No one wants to be in what they think is a race to the bottom when no one can prove 100% that it will succeed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wanamingo posted:

It's a good thing package carriers are never extremely stupid, then!

Sure, but the point is that even if they are, they're extremely easy to track down. Same reason maids or cleaning people don't just walk out with all your poo poo the moment you let them in - it happens, for sure, but you know who they are and when they had access, so it's trivial to rat them out to the employer or cops.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

pentyne posted:

My dad gets seriously pissed of when he gets repeatedly asked about switching to online banking he'll snap and start talking louder and louder berating the clerk and rattling off various types of security encryption that the bank doesn't use and how insisting that he should manage his accounts solely online is borderline negligent given how many massive data breaches occur each year. Usually a manager will rush over and take over to complete the transaction and not try to push any of their new products/services.

Your dad sounds like a bully.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Your dad sounds like a bully.

He'll politely decline 2-3 times before getting really mad, but he's one of those people who's worked in computer security and IT since the 70s and kept up to date with the new technology and gets irrationally annoyed with the current system of everyone pushing towards convenient as possible tie everything to your phone. It's definitely old man irritation sometimes because while waiting in line listening to some guy loudly talk about how tech-savvy he was for loving ever he just turned and started engaging the guy in conversation, but it was "Oh, that's interesting, what code language do you use? What XXX (tech stuff I don't know/remember)" and ended with "So, you've just got a fancy phone and you know how to press the screen? Okay, nevermind"

The problem is a lot of companies make their wage employees push their services on customers aggressively otherwise they face penalties. Best Buy has been outed pretty regularly as cutting employees hours and tying raises to them selling enough warranties.

Do you seriously have no problem with repeatedly getting asked "hey, sign up for this new service, here are all the details" over and over while trying to complete a 30 sec transaction? When Panera launched their MyPanera card the inital push to sign people up was really aggressive to the point of them almost stopping the transaction to try and convince you to sign up. I walked out after the third I said no and the cashier kept at it. A couple months later it seems like they realized the problem and the interaction was "do you have a MyPanera card? Would you like one?" and then finish the sale.

edit: Most of the contempt towards the smartphone generation is mostly because he works in the defense industry on projects with high level security clearances and every year there are 1-2 new hires who try to sneak their phones into restricted areas because they don't want to be without it for the duration of the workday. Then said person is immediately fired and whatever project they were on is now down a person and its unlikely they will be replaced.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jun 20, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

duckmaster posted:

I mean Toyotas here have always been marketed as sensible family cars for sensible people. They're Hondas for people with mortgages. They do small cars but these are considered a familys second car, or possibly a third which is given to the oldest child because the fuel economy is cheap and the insurance group is low. But this Aygo thing is marketed towards... young professionals? Hipsters? Me?!

This is on their website:

None of these people would be smiling. They'd be thinking I'm in a Toyota.

I'm not disagreeing with any of this but do people really pay that much attention to the different brands? I guess I'd care when I'm actually buying a car, but 99% of the time I couldn't tell you what make or model most people I know drive or which ones I should be more impressed with. I think people that work in marketing have this idea that everyone is always keeping all this information in their head at all times, when actually no one gives a poo poo what message your brand is projecting.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

duckmaster posted:

On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ir91dnwN1g

Advert for the Toyota Aygo in the UK, starring 'Rahat' who is apparently an 'internet prankster'. Maybe I'm just not down with the kids but do people really know enough about the YouTube channels they're subscribed to to actually be able to recognise someone like Rahat by name? Does anyone actually care that Rahat is an 'internet prankster', which is a pretty thinly veiled way of saying 'YouTube superstar'? The concept of the advert is actually a reasonably good one in that it's got a guy doing something fun which will make you associate Aygo = Fun, without actually telling you a single thing about the car. So if that's what they're aiming for that's fine, but then they stick the 'internet prankster' bit on the front as if to say "Hey guys we're cool, we know what YouTube is!".

I mean Toyotas here have always been marketed as sensible family cars for sensible people. They're Hondas for people with mortgages. They do small cars but these are considered a familys second car, or possibly a third which is given to the oldest child because the fuel economy is cheap and the insurance group is low. But this Aygo thing is marketed towards... young professionals? Hipsters? Me?!

This is on their website:

None of these people would be smiling. They'd be thinking I'm in a Toyota.

Then of course the end of the ad is "Go Fun Yourself" which is pretty obviously a play on the phrase "Go gently caress yourself". We swear a lot here and for outsiders it's very difficult to tell if we're swearing in a positive or negative way (i.e. bollocks being bad, dogs bollocks being good). Well "go gently caress yourself" is always, no matter the context, on the negative end of the spectrum.

Although maybe getting me worked up about this was all part of their plan.... :tinfoil:

I hope there's a localized version for Scotland that ends with "git tae fun".

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

pentyne posted:

There's also probably a ton of push-back from companies who refuse to try for a "value" approach for their "esteemed" brands. No one wants to be in what they think is a race to the bottom when no one can prove 100% that it will succeed.

So isn't it possible to maintain the premium version of the brand and have a bargain version? I thought lots of companies did that. You could even market it that way, like "Here's our bargain-priced product X because we want to be affordable for you, but when you're ready, we've got the deluxe version with even more of what you love." Don't car companies do that?

pentyne posted:

Yes. Everyone has been following the same decade old trends that every generation is better off then the last and wealthier then their parents.

It's kinda bizarre to me that so many companies seem to actively refuse to acknowledge that this trend has ended.

:j: Give us your dollars!
:geno: I don't have any dollars.
:j: Ok, we changed our commercial to be more appealing to you. Now give us your dollars!
:what:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this but do people really pay that much attention to the different brands? I guess I'd care when I'm actually buying a car, but 99% of the time I couldn't tell you what make or model most people I know drive or which ones I should be more impressed with. I think people that work in marketing have this idea that everyone is always keeping all this information in their head at all times, when actually no one gives a poo poo what message your brand is projecting.

I think there is a lot of brand recognition and loyalty in the UK when it comes to cars, although that's maybe not the point. It's this self-serving way they're trying to muscle in on a demographic that probably doesn't exist by enlisting the help of a self-proclaimed internet prankster (whatever that is) to do a stunt that a lot of people will have seen on YouTube anyway, to somehow make us forget thirty years of marketing directed at people in their 40s.

Take two of the biggest selling cars in the UK, the Ford Fiesta and the Ford Focus. Their adverts are basically saying "look, you know we're some massive American company that probably doesn't give a poo poo about you, so let's drop the gimmicks. You keep buying our cars, so here's what's new about them this year":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_EPEzkM8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__SvQJ2Pr-k

Then there's the Vauxhall Corsa, whose adverts just scream "this is a normal car for normal people, and you're normal!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEfgVU_3tFU

Then take a look at the Aygos marketing blurb on their website:

quote:

Stand out with AYGO’s fresh, vibrant new design. We’ve developed a stunning new design, featuring a bold front-x face, dramatic yet playful lines and a daring double bubble roof into six different personalities: x, x-play, x-wave, x-pure, x-cite and x-clusiv.

what?

quote:

Get customising with our 2 exterior styling packs available on x-play! Stand out with OUTstand, colour your front-x, front-x-tension, diffuser, roof and door mirrors in one contrasting colour. Or if you prefer more subtle combinations, gleam with OUTglow, you can add Red Pop or Shiny Silver front and rear bumper liners and garnishes on lower side doors (plus the option of a Red Pop roof). Customising your AYGO is easy!

what the gently caress?

quote:

Our engineers have worked their magic. AYGO may be compact on the outside, but their clever design means it’s amazingly roomy inside, with space for four and ample luggage. AYGO’s new suspension gives an even smoother drive, and thanks to a turning circle of just 4.8 metres, no road is too narrow, no turn too tight. Indeed, with AYGO’s nimble handling every journey is loads of fun.

So a car that can fit four people and turn in the road? They might as well tell me about the power steering and airbags as well.

I mean if they follow this trend we're only a couple of years from interviews with redditors about why the Toyota iFun 3.0 is such a rad/wicked/cool/groovy (delete as fashion dictates) car. Or Personal Interactive i-Transport Vehicle, whatever.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

duckmaster posted:

I mean if they follow this trend we're only a couple of years from interviews with redditors about why the Toyota x-Fun 3.0 is such a rad/wicked/cool/groovy (delete as fashion dictates) car. Or Personal Interactive x-Transport Vehicle, whatever.

The Aygo is brand x- :colbert:

Even understanding what a double bubble roof looks like, I can't help but think of the Homer

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Karma Monkey posted:

It isn't that millenials are a bizarre cipher nobody really understands it's that they're solving the wrong problem. The economy is in the shitter and the people who actually have money are a dying demographic both literally and figuratively. The parents of millenials probably still have OK jobs and are getting by but they're aging, retiring, and dying. That demographic is shrinking but millenials aren't being offered the same opportunities as their parents. The CEOs that own these companies only really give a poo poo about "I want more money so I can buy my 27th private jet" and that sort of thing. The pressure on marketing and advertising is "make us more money but don't you dare make anything cheaper." You saw this in organics, specialty craft bullshit, and what have you. Yes millenials want new and different experiences and yes people will pay for fancier, better stuff if they can afford to. I for one would be out there trying all sorts of cool new beers and strange new pizzas if I had the drat money. Beer and pizza are like two of my favorite things so your drat right I'd be interested in Pizza Hut making new types of pizza.

What I am not happy with (and why Domino's gets my pizza business) is paying for expensive pizzas. I'm a college student. I'm also broke and unemployed. If one place has a fancy craft pizza for $16 and another one has enough pizza to feed me for multiple days for $8 you're goddamned right I'm going to buy the second one. Yes, there are people that want fancy pizzas with the best ingredients. The issue is that the same people asking "how can we get somebody to buy a $16 pizza?" are the same ones asking "how can we pay somebody $2 an hour to make them?" The same people targeting millenials are the same people loving everything up and making sure millenials haven't the money to afford such things.

Which is why the successful marketing was the quieter Taco Bell one of "here's a bunch of cheap poo poo you can buy at 1 a.m. when you're hungry and drunk. You're welcome."

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

duckmaster posted:

I think there is a lot of brand recognition and loyalty in the UK when it comes to cars, although that's maybe not the point. It's this self-serving way they're trying to muscle in on a demographic that probably doesn't exist by enlisting the help of a self-proclaimed internet prankster (whatever that is) to do a stunt that a lot of people will have seen on YouTube anyway, to somehow make us forget thirty years of marketing directed at people in their 40s.

I mean if they follow this trend we're only a couple of years from interviews with redditors about why the Toyota iFun 3.0 is such a rad/wicked/cool/groovy (delete as fashion dictates) car. Or Personal Interactive i-Transport Vehicle, whatever.

We have similar Toyota ads here in finland, cool young people driving them singing and having fun. Its stupid because when you see someone driving new car, especially new Toyota its some pensioner. Cars here is so loving expensive there's no way young people have money to buy new car, i guess that's why we have so boring used cars here.

fake edit: Just checked 60% new car owners are over 50 and 30% over 60 and 60% buyers are from two-person household. These statistics are from few years over and the average buyer have only getting older.

Captain Kosmos has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jun 20, 2015

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have made so many goddamn decks, one-sheets, research documents, and povs on millennials its disgusting. The biggest issue in my opinion is with everything else higher ups are comfortable going "adult women 35-44 with 100k or higher household income who live in warm coastal states and enjoy running" is our target demo. Suddenly millennial gets tossed out and the insanity of "a 35 year old person who is married with a kid is completely the same as a college freshman" suddenly permeates everything.

The idea of generations homogeneously being similar and marketable makes my job much harder and literally just writing a slide noting that millennial is a generation not a target customer got applause and bombardments of request to share across my company and the client who is one of the biggest advertising spenders on the globe.

Btw if you want to have a great time seeing how this stuff used to sound check out Rifftrax's new short "in the suburbs" which is literally a pitch video from Redbooks historic relaunch where they announced their intention to target the hip young couples of their day, boomers.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Barudak posted:

Btw if you want to have a great time seeing how this stuff used to sound check out Rifftrax's new short "in the suburbs" which is literally a pitch video from Redbooks historic relaunch where they announced their intention to target the hip young couples of their day, boomers.

All of their retro shorts are very telling about marketing. Love them! Another somewhat related thing, if it hasn't been mentioned yet is the documentary "Century of the Self." It covers a lot of ground on how consumerism was molded, marketing trickery etc. (If you're a Rifftrax fan, you'll spot clips of some of the stuff they've riffed.)

Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_edvJieEI

The entire doc can be watched here.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

pentyne posted:

Do you seriously have no problem with repeatedly getting asked "hey, sign up for this new service, here are all the details" over and over while trying to complete a 30 sec transaction?

I don't love it, but it's not the clerk's fault they're pressured to make sales or else, so I just say, "no thanks" until they stop. I don't shout at them and berate them about tech poo poo that's totally out of their control. That's what people with anger issues do.

If it's that bad I just stop going, or, in the bank's case, go through the drives.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

I don't love it, but it's not the clerk's fault they're pressured to make sales or else, so I just say, "no thanks" until they stop. I don't shout at them and berate them about tech poo poo that's totally out of their control. That's what people with anger issues do.

If it's that bad I just stop going, or, in the bank's case, go through the drives.

This.

I've said it to managers and the like before. "Thank you very much for the offer, I understand you are obligated to do so, but I am not interested."

Always gets a smile and never a second repeat. :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Was there every a period where people in their 20's had a ton of money? I'm 38 and doing pretty ok but I made maybe 25-30k for most of my 20's and never felt unusually poor. And we still somehow managed to drink decent beer and eat pretty well I feel like.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bunnielab posted:

Was there every a period where people in their 20's had a ton of money? I'm 38 and doing pretty ok but I made maybe 25-30k for most of my 20's and never felt unusually poor. And we still somehow managed to drink decent beer and eat pretty well I feel like.

25-30k would count as a "ton of money" for people in their twenties around here who aren't in tech.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm laughing so hard at Pizza Hut failure they had exactly ONE thing they needed to do: deliver medium one or two topping pizzas cheaper than Domino's. You can get them for $12 from Domino's, just price match that poo poo and bombard you with "Do you want a 2L of [novelty soda to push onto customers] for only $2.00 more?" And they would rack in the millenial crowd overnight without pandering to them.

Domino's is now trying a rebranding as well, but they're focusing on making carryout more appealing with cheap large pizzas, so dropping "Pizza" from "Domino's Pizza" seems less stupid. A good idea balanced out a terrible one.

Here Domino's pizza is $4.99 for the cheapest ones, $5.99 for the mainstream and up to $14.99 for the 'fancy' ones (which I assume no one ever buys). Pizza Hutt had to match them and quality/size suffered for both companies.

Perhaps they're trying to avoid getting into that particular no-winner contest.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

duckmaster posted:

I mean Toyotas here have always been marketed as sensible family cars for sensible people. They're Hondas for people with mortgages.

I dunno, I've always seen 'em as like Lexus on the inside for people who are smart enough not to pay for Lexus on the outside. They're light, spacious, and usually more reliable than Korean or American cars, and cheap enough that it's not a bad idea to go for that over the Audi. But then, a car is also just a car.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this but do people really pay that much attention to the different brands? I guess I'd care when I'm actually buying a car, but 99% of the time I couldn't tell you what make or model most people I know drive or which ones I should be more impressed with.

Lucky, when I was growing up my dad was full Cop Mode "if you can't identify made and model and memorize the color at a glance then you're gonna get murdered." And he's not even a police. Now I'm hyperalert about that poo poo and it sucks. I still care very little for brand or model beyond "hey I want <these features> in a vehicle and I don't want it to say Kia on the back," but I can tell you that car isn't a Ford because it has stupid flaring on the sides and is therefore a Lincoln.

duckmaster posted:

a self-proclaimed internet prankster (whatever that is)

You see them all the time in the schadenfreude thread, they're scrawny rich white kids who go up to poor people and then lick their faces or pretend to pull a gun. Then they get the poo poo beat out of them and post it on the internet.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 21, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
In this case actually not so. The prank in the Aygo ad is actually amusing and harmless and minimally dickish.

God I hope no dumbass marketeer hitches onto the 'scream that it's a prank to avoid having the poo poo kicked out of you' types.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Huntersoninski posted:

No it isn't the clerk's fault but it's definitely worth complaining to somebody higher than the clerk about. There's also the "voting with your wallet" thing. One reason I stick with the small local bank I use pretty religiously is specifically because they don't do crap like that. Granted I've also repeatedly told Comcast that if I had some other option that didn't cram poo poo down everybody's throat all the time (no Comcast I only want the internet...I neither own a television nor have a use for a land line quit loving asking) I'd take them in a heartbeat. That one of course comes down to the game often being rigged so you really have no option but to deal with a particular company. They can annoy you all you want and your only choice is to keep giving them money.

It's extra lovely in that apparently clerks can lose their jobs if they don't get enough sales or up services. Which is dumb as hell in some cases. The Comcast one comes up again. You have poo poo loads of people you just plain aren't going to convince to get certain services. I can't imagine the stress of "sell poo poo or you're fired, customer service person" on top of all the other bullshit that job deals with. Which just gets worse when your boss is telling you to mercilessly hound everybody that calls you about anything you can sell them.

bunnielab posted:

It kind of depends on who you ask and how you adjust it but if you adjust past minimum wage for inflation it can get as high as $11. Median wages are also a lot lower than they are now and people have way, way more debt. A lot of people are assuming it's still the 1970's when jobs were plentiful and even a high school drop out could do pretty OK. Then 1980's were also a time when people were accumulating debt so they were spending more than now. Aside from wages stagnating as they are and millenials struggling to just not starve they also are very frequently buried under a mountain of student debt the size of which has literally never been seen before. With that much debt they're also a demographic people aren't prone to loaning more money to. Far as I can tell millenials are also far more suspicious of credit cards.

The student debt is a big one. It's hard to spend big even if you're above the poverty line when you have $150,000 of student loans to pay off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We just had our annual 'how much money we made and no, no one gets a raise this year" meeting and it always baffles me how much money a business pours into advertising, when they could spend half of it adding cashiers and sending out coupons, and get a ton more customers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thespaceinvader posted:

In this case actually not so. The prank in the Aygo ad is actually amusing and harmless and minimally dickish.

God I hope no dumbass marketeer hitches onto the 'scream that it's a prank to avoid having the poo poo kicked out of you' types.

Yeah, that guy's actually really good about his pranks, and a pretty good fit for a car commercial tonally. His whole thing is basically scaring people by putting something unexpected in the driver's seat (in this case, nothing), and he's nice about it. It's not dangerous or scary, just startling.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

You see them all the time in the schadenfreude thread, they're scrawny rich white kids who go up to poor people and then lick their faces or pretend to pull a gun. Then they get the poo poo beat out of them and post it on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lki_IeM6bQ

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Cowslips Warren posted:

We just had our annual 'how much money we made and no, no one gets a raise this year" meeting and it always baffles me how much money a business pours into advertising, when they could spend half of it adding cashiers and sending out coupons, and get a ton more customers.

Amen to that. I used to rail against the size of Comcast's advertising budget when I worked for that soulless leviathan because they could've used even 30% of that money for the best advertising a monopoly can get; word of mouth. Bolster the network infrastructure and bam! If you actually have a choice of AT&T for less money than Comcast but literally all your Comcast-having friends say their TV/Internet never, ever goes out, wouldn't you pay more for guaranteed up time? I would. Comcast doesn't give a poo poo about that, of course, because gently caress you they're the only cable company around.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

Amen to that. I used to rail against the size of Comcast's advertising budget when I worked for that soulless leviathan because they could've used even 30% of that money for the best advertising a monopoly can get; word of mouth. Bolster the network infrastructure and bam! If you actually have a choice of AT&T for less money than Comcast but literally all your Comcast-having friends say their TV/Internet never, ever goes out, wouldn't you pay more for guaranteed up time? I would. Comcast doesn't give a poo poo about that, of course, because gently caress you they're the only cable company around.

If the would spend 1% more on training their phone staff to not be complete, enormous, unwashed assholes, I would be happy.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

If the would spend 1% more on training their phone staff to not be complete, enormous, unwashed assholes, I would be happy.

God yes, this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

It doesn't matter at all what Comcast does because in many regions they're the only game in town. Part of the reason people hate them so much is because they're a poo poo company that doesn't even bother to hide it simply because they don't need to.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ignite Memories posted:

Being old enough for in this example to count as gen Y instead of millenials, I'll say this: 10 years ago, when we were all in our 20's, you better believe we were spending mad money on all sorts of weird crap like that. But here's the thing, it was all a shell game. We were right in the middle of probably the absolute worst time in the country for predatory lending. I'm fairly positive every single person I knew or passed in college had at least one credit card, and not a drat iota of fiscal responsibility taught to us. Now today, I think it's a conservative estimate to assume at least 80% of that age demographic is in financial dire straits, bankrupted, or on welfare, or living back with their parents. We were the example that the marketing world is using as their directional compass for how we live and spend, when in reality we were all still acting like teenagers with our parents car keys, absolutely oblivious to the repercussions of spending what we didn't actually have, and have now learned our lessons the hard way and cut that poo poo out often. Then those like, a decade younger than us, young enough to have always had the internet as a gateway to the world for example, came into their own broke enough to never actually start acting the hedonist, and now all those marketers with that compass direction are staring at each other poo poo out of ideas.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I love reading this thread, and some of the examples of poor marketing are great. But my favourite stuff definitely has to be the last few pages. It never fails to amuse me when companies try to market to a group that isn't really a group, like 'millenials', and they totally fail. I even went searching on the internet for more examples but didn't find that many, does anyone else have any good ones to list, good examples of marketers totally messing up with millenials and costing a company huge money?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Midget Fist posted:

I love reading this thread, and some of the examples of poor marketing are great. But my favourite stuff definitely has to be the last few pages. It never fails to amuse me when companies try to market to a group that isn't really a group, like 'millenials', and they totally fail. I even went searching on the internet for more examples but didn't find that many, does anyone else have any good ones to list, good examples of marketers totally messing up with millenials and costing a company huge money?

Nice try, marketing department.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Didn't Pizza Hut have an entirely different 'marketing to millenials' failure a number of years back, when they tried to rebrand themselves as 'The Hut' or something? I'm not imagining that, right?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Everyone's been trying to figure out how to get our non-existant money for a couple of years now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Everyone's been trying to figure out how to get our non-existant money for a couple of years now.

It's cause us tight rear end gen xer's (:lol:) and older folks know how to hold on to our (:lol:) money (:laffo:)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

God I can't wait for all these rich old people to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ignite Memories posted:

Gen Y'ers are millennials. The biggest problem with trying to market to "millennials" is that the term basically means "anyone under 40" and that's not even close to a homogeneous group.

Huntersoninski posted:

When you get angry at someone in that situation, whether it's at a bank or shop or even a telemarketer, all you're doing is making life worse - for yourself, and for someone who already has a lovely job. Instead of calmly putting up with a minor irritation that takes a few seconds to deal with, now you're in a bad mood because you got angry, and the other person's in a bad mood because they just had to deal with an arsehole who yelled at them for doing their job. No one benefits from this.

The White Dragon posted:

Lucky, when I was growing up my dad was full Cop Mode "if you can't identify made and model and memorize the color at a glance then you're gonna get murdered."
How is recognising cars supposed to keep you safe?