Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

JonathonSpectre posted:

Where exactly can we go to find a symbol as offensive as the flag of a despotic slave-empire that tried to destroy the United States wholly in service of white supremacy and domination of all facets of life in America by the parasitic planter 1%?

There's plenty, the Japanese imperial flag and you know the actual Nazi one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You think you know a guy...

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's because he's not running.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think we need to research and study the process of radicalization to better understand and prevent these whackos from getting created.

Not with my taxpayer money you ain't :bahgawd:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
his usage of "to many" is pretty lovely, even though i guess technically correct since white supremacists don't find it offensive.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think we need to research and study the process of radicalization to better understand and prevent these whackos from getting created.

That might be difficult since 'convincing young men to kill and die for a cause' is pretty essential to societies. The concern is individuals being radicalized by 'niche' causes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If they take it down, I hope he's not driving when he hears the news :ohdear:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McDowell posted:

That might be difficult since 'convincing young men to kill and die for a cause' is pretty essential to societies. The concern is individuals being radicalized by 'niche' causes.

This is an excellent point. We understand the process very well. Stopping it selectively may involved censorship that I am not entirely comfortable with.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 20, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

forbidden lesbian posted:

his usage of "to many" is pretty lovely, even though i guess technically correct since white supremacists don't find it offensive.

Well to some it's not a symbol of racial hatred. It's a symbol that we should respect the noble black man, but God always intended him to be a servant of the white man. Do you hate your car or your dog or a child? Of course not; you respect them, but they do your bidding and understand that you run things.

That'd be funnier if it weren't true for some people.

Good Citizen posted:

If they take it down, I hope he's not driving when he hears the news :ohdear:

If he is driving, I hope he takes a moment while he's pulled over to give the dog some water and let it take a leak.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

JonathonSpectre posted:

Where exactly can we go to find a symbol as offensive as the flag of a despotic slave-empire that tried to destroy the United States wholly in service of white supremacy and domination of all facets of life in America by the parasitic planter 1%?
Apartheid South Africa and Rhodesia, for starters.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Congo Free State, for those who don't recognize it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

If he is driving, I hope he takes a moment while he's pulled over to give the dog some water and let it take a leak.

:eyepop:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He just realized today that the flag was not the right height

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I know Fade5 has been harping on this already, but reading that manifesto, it really strikes me that this reads a lot like how people become radicalized into fighting or committing terrorist acts in the name of ISIS or similar groups, the only difference is the ideology he was indoctrinated into. Shame that nobody in media is likely going to focus on that connection, and will keep wringing their hands about how this kid ended up doing what he did. Was it mental illness? who knows! He was obviously just very disturbed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JonathonSpectre posted:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ATP_Power posted:

I know Fade5 has been harping on this already, but reading that manifesto, it really strikes me that this reads a lot like how people become radicalized into fighting or committing terrorist acts in the name of ISIS or similar groups, the only difference is the ideology he was indoctrinated into. Shame that nobody in media is likely going to focus on that connection, and will keep wringing their hands about how this kid ended up doing what he did. Was it mental illness? who knows! He was obviously just very disturbed.

Fortunately we have investigative journalist Bill O'Reilly to make that exact comparison.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Romney's been speaking against the Confederate flag since at least 2007.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dylann Roof posted:

Now White parents are forced to move to the suburbs to send their children to “good schools”. But what constitutes a “good school”? The fact is that how good a school is considered directly corresponds to how White it is. I hate with a passion the whole idea of the suburbs. To me it represents nothing but scared White people running.

Well, other than the idea that white people were forced to flee to the suburbs rather than cheerfully doing so, he's not wrong about this part.

Shame about the other 2,450 words.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8&t=15s

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
You know, a random thought I had about the Charleston shooter: who is taking these pictures of him?

I mean, none of them are selfies or anything, so that means someone had to be holding the camera, framing it, and going "yeah, this is a good pose for you," without somehow seeing aura of slightly wrong he portends.

Really, he's burning an American flag in one of them. What was going through the camera-person's mind?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile in LA, the LAPD blew an unarmed guy's head off for trying to flag down an officer after getting out of his car. Then handcuffed the body with its brains all over the sidewalk.

Can we just end this great American experiment and start over already? It's not working. There's nothing we can do. I read these articles and I want to die.

Morroque posted:

You know, a random thought I had about the Charleston shooter: who is taking these pictures of him?

I mean, none of them are selfies or anything, so that means someone had to be holding the camera, framing it, and going "yeah, this is a good pose for you," without somehow seeing aura of slightly wrong he portends.

Really, he's burning an American flag in one of them. What was going through the camera-person's mind?

A tripod and a 30-second timer?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Morroque posted:

tripods and timers exist

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

tripods and timers exist

But is Roof smart enough to use them?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

tripods and timers exist

I can only hope that was the case. The thought that it might've actually been someone else is frightening in itself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Morroque posted:

I can only hope that was the case. The thought that it might've actually been someone else is frightening in itself.

i'm not terrified by the idea of racists taking pictures of each other

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Can we charge the tripod with terrorism?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If his dad gave him the tripod lets charge him with material support of a terrorist.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mlmp08 posted:

If his dad gave him the tripod lets charge him with material support of a terrorist.

Only if he sat on it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Congo Free State, for those who don't recognize it.

Why am I not surprised.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They're really going to run with this "black friends on Facebook" thing aren't they. It was probably him doing research on who to kill.

They might as well say "he can't have been a white supremacist, he went to a black church!" :downs:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

McDowell posted:

probably? they're not very hard to figure out dude

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
You know, in a way, it's kinda good that his manifesto is basically just Internet Racist talk. You could probably make a pretty good game out of "Domestic Terrorist or GOP Presidential Candidate?"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

McDowell posted:

Yeah 21 year olds tend to have a really hard time figuring out basic technology

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't really feel like going to his website or reading his manifesto, but for those who have, does he ever admit to being part of any white power group?

This is obviously getting a lot of attention and his manifesto is in the news so the word is out there, but I'm wondering if we'll get to see any increased investigations into these movements by the feds now that this has happened.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

I don't really feel like going to his website or reading his manifesto, but for those who have, does he ever admit to being part of any white power group?

Doesn't look like it, he just traveled deep down the rabbit hole of internet racism and hyper-conservative rhetoric about black people destroying white civilization. This was a typical young internet nerd struggling with feelings of powerlessness and meaninglessness in the face of the modern world, and he latched onto far-right racist ideology as a salve and specifically the idea of black people as a scapegoat for everything wrong with the world.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Cythereal posted:

Doesn't look like it, he just traveled deep down the rabbit hole of internet racism and hyper-conservative rhetoric about black people destroying white civilization. This was a typical young internet nerd struggling with feelings of powerlessness and meaninglessness in the face of the modern world, and he latched onto far-right racist ideology as a salve and specifically the idea of black people as a scapegoat for everything wrong with the world.

Pretty sure you're wrong and it was anime that drove him to kill.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ATP_Power posted:

I appreciate the namedrop, and that my posts are making sense to other people. It really is depressing to realize that the brainwashing/radicalization process is so similar, because I can identify the similarities all day but I can't really do a goddamn thing about it. It's easy to know where he got the indoctrination from and to know why he did what he did, but preventing this from happening again (and again and again and ...) means acknowledging how toxic all that poo poo is, how bad it all is. That's the first step, but it's really hard to even get people to acknowledge that this is a loving problem, and you can't really move on to fixing the problem if it isn't acknowledged as a problem in the first place.

Radicalization is hard to fight against even in the best of times, and these are not the best of times. I had thought we'd been making progress, but it seems like we're backsliding on a lot of fronts and I don't know what I can really do about it. There's been that rear end in a top hat who killed six people in a shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, the murder of Dr. George Tiller (ran an abortion clinic) who was also killed in a loving church, a pair of anti-immigration assholes who killed of a Latino man and his 9-year-old daughter, the Bundy Ranch stand-off, that rear end in a top hat in Dallas, those Gadsden Flag spree killers in Las Vegas (Remember them? Fox sure doesn't) and now this rear end in a top hat.

I'm honestly starting to slide into some slightly dark thoughts along the line of "Do we have to have some more slaughters like Waco and Ruby Ridge and/or another OKC-style bombing before this poo poo finally gets forced back underground?", and I really hate that I'm starting to think like that. I just feel kinda helpless, and it sucks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He dropped out of school after repeating ninth grade and couldn't get a job so like a good conservative he blamed minorities.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

He dropped out of school after repeating ninth grade and couldn't get a job so like a good conservative he blamed minorities.

drat affirmative action grade promotions.

Also what anime body pillow did he own and how crusty was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fade5 posted:

I'm honestly starting to slide into some slightly dark thoughts along the line of "Do we have to have some more slaughters like Waco and Ruby Ridge and/or another OKC-style bombing before this poo poo finally gets forced back underground?", and I really hate that I'm starting to think like that. I just feel kinda helpless, and it sucks.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if even something like that failed to produce any meaningful change. Modern America is deeply politically polarized between Us and Them, and that's incredibly difficult to shake. Remember that the Bundy Ranch intended to use the women present as human shields. Do you really think the Republicans would have had a come to Jesus moment if violence had broken out and women used as human shields were killed in the process? I don't think they would. I think they would have blamed their deaths on the [Democrat, because the Republicans clearly had nothing to do with it] federal government.

• Locked thread