Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They can't seem to make up their minds about it being Astrotrain or not, but the weird head might be just showcasing the headmaster head swapping gimmick. (or the invitable second use of the mold)

We'll know tomorrow but I'm way too much hype. poo poo, but also broke I FORGOT

quote:

Update: TFW2005 boards member, Monari, attended Tokyo Toy Show and was gracious enough to provide us with more images, details, and thoughts on Takara’s Devastator:

“So just to recap, Takara has remolded new parts on all of the figures except Bonecrusher and Scavenger:

Scrapper, Long Haul, Hook and Mixmaster all have remolded elbows and arms. Devastator’s head has a flip down visor, and he has purple hands.

The deco is non-metallic purple, and the same green as the Hasbro retail release, but with a lot more paint apps. It looks incredible in person.”

MM and LH have meatier elbows. Takara is all about advanced elbowsthetics.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
A decent Astrotrain really would be a welcome thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

A decent Astrotrain really would be a welcome thing.

As a Hasbro apologist, I get a sick joy out of seeing Hasbro release nice, affordable new molds of stuff the 3P have been releasing, sometimes too soon in an attempt to be first.

Anyways, got this guy in the mail today. Pretty decent for $25 but doesn't stand up for poo poo.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

As a Hasbro apologist, I get a sick joy out of seeing Hasbro release nice, affordable new molds of stuff the 3P have been releasing, sometimes too soon in an attempt to be first.

That shortbus Astrotrain was one of the funniest third party strikeouts so far.

Edit: Not to keep harping on how bad the SDCC Devastator looks, but the chrome purple and the regular purple don't even match. They didn't even try. I hate to go full TFW but I think it's Takara Devy for me.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

That shortbus Astrotrain was one of the funniest third party strikeouts so far.

One that stands out right now is Boldforms Lonewolf. It's such a good idea but the execution is really bad.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm patient, I can wait many many years for the right Astrotrain.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

One that stands out right now is Boldforms Lonewolf. It's such a good idea but the execution is really bad.

When Keeping It GEEWUN Goes Wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

When Keeping It GEEWUN Goes Wrong.

But if it ain't GEEWUN it's aint poo poo?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Ahaha, is that official?

It looked even better in person. Takara basically went completely Doctor Wu on this figure and it's almost 100% now as far as I'm concerned. It really pops in person.

It's going to be tough waiting half a year for it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Man, I don't get the hate a lot elsewhere are giving Ironhide, he looks lovely. A bit too tall perhaps but all the whining about a couple of panels on his hips is insane. Give him to me now and bring on Ratchet.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Looks like Ratchet won't fit in MP-10 though. :mediocre:

Did Optimus Primal have a Robot mode showing, or did he just sit there as a Monkey?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Anora posted:

Did Optimus Primal have a Robot mode showing, or did he just sit there as a Monkey?

I'm fairly sure it was only a mockup of his beast mode, because he didn't look articulated at all.

Man, etween Takara Tax and shipping, it'd probably be cheaper to get third-party upgrades for the US version of Devestator rather than the Takara one. :(

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I could try to find out, but my guess based on those images is that it's a QA/drop-test thing that we have to comply with for the US, while Japan may not have that requirement (similar to orange-tip guns and long smokestacks)

edit: the elbows thing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I could try to find out, but my guess based on those images is that it's a QA/drop-test thing that we have to comply with for the US, while Japan may not have that requirement (similar to orange-tip guns and long smokestacks)

Please do, it would be interesting to find out about (and bitch at).

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Even if it is that it's still great to hear from the industry people about what's going on. Many thanks.

And do send my regards to everyone on all the brilliant work lately.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I'm glad that the Takara Devastator is looking great, but honestly, I think I'll be plenty happy with the Hasbro/SDCC release. Like, the better elbows one Scrapper and Long Haul would be great, but it's not exactly a dealbreaker for me when I'm really looking forward to the end result anyways. That, and the Takara release will probably cost way more, and even if it doesn't we'd have to wait even longer for it to get released in the first place.

I do wish that Hasbro Devastator had the head with the removable visor though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
HMM.

I think this is the first time I actually wanted the Takara version of something. It comes out at the end of the year, yeah?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man, etween Takara Tax and shipping, it'd probably be cheaper to get third-party upgrades for the US version of Devestator rather than the Takara one. :(
The shipping will touch your butt in ways you don't appreciate for sure but the TT tax is kinda overplayed by american e-tailers. Road Rage was $50 Canadian and Slipstream was $22 Canadian from anime-export. Which in American monies is just over the price of a KO and the price of a normal deluxe.

If you think you're going to end up paying shipping on the stateside Hasbro Devy and the 3p parts it probably isn't going to be nearly as big a gap as you're thinking. (If you plan on waiting for Hasbro devy to go on sale to purchase in hand then yeah, probably a huge gap)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Anora posted:

What? He totally does.

Oh wait you said Ratchet... you mean because of the light bar?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Spiderdrake posted:

The shipping will touch your butt in ways you don't appreciate for sure but the TT tax is kinda overplayed by american e-tailers. Road Rage was $50 Canadian and Slipstream was $22 Canadian from anime-export. Which in American monies is just over the price of a KO and the price of a normal deluxe.

If you think you're going to end up paying shipping on the stateside Hasbro Devy and the 3p parts it probably isn't going to be nearly as big a gap as you're thinking. (If you plan on waiting for Hasbro devy to go on sale to purchase in hand then yeah, probably a huge gap)

Yeah I was waiting to just walk into a store and grab a giant box. Here's hoping, anyway. Is he mass retail?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah I was waiting to just walk into a store and grab a giant box. Here's hoping, anyway. Is he mass retail?
Supposedly. He was listed for preorder on TRU.ca and did not come up tagged as exclusive to TRU, so it seems like yes.

But then again, looking now he's gone?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

Which involves only one size of Nebulan, and is not a gimmick Blaster shares. Try to focus.

Oh snap! Keldroc'd! AGAIN!

Blackheart posted:

MM and LH have meatier elbows. Takara is all about advanced elbowsthetics.

As am I. Guess it's Takara Devastator for me.

The_Doctor posted:

Please do, it would be interesting to find out about (and bitch at).

http://www.theonion.com/article/fun-toy-banned-because-of-three-stupid-dead-kids-290

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

Oh wait you said Ratchet... you mean because of the light bar?

yep.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If you wanna follow the Hasbro panel at botcon, it's being reported here. It autoupdates so you don't have to click refresh. I think I'm not gonna copy-paste stuff to the thread this time since it could get to be annoying.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I think Botcon killed TFW2005, haha

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm of the opinion post whatever you want, Blackheart, thread is going to be whooping, raving and tape reaping and elbow gate for the next couple days anyway.

I mean after all...

Zaa Boogie posted:

I think Botcon killed TFW2005, haha
Always does.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ok this one thing I had to post:

Bruticus wave consists of Onslaught, Swindle, Blastoff, Brawl, Vortex and legends Shockwave!

Onslaught is a heavy remold of Hotspot, even the vehicle mode is back-to-front from the original.

Brawl is a new mold.

Swindle is a heavy Rook remold.

Blast Off is based on Fireflight.

Vortex is GUESS WHO

Edit: Sorry I'm a filthy liar and I can't contain myself:

Sky Lynx is back

In Combiner form (with Wheeljack, Trailbreaker, Smokescreen and Hound)

This Guy has been sharing pictures, go!

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 20, 2015

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Sky Lynx is back

Yessssssss :getin:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I-

is Sky Lynx a Silverbolt retool? I think he is!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Retool/remold sort of loses its meaning when they're doing stuff like Swindle/Hound out of Rook (I don't think that's a new mold, look at the wheel placement). Silverbolt and Skylynx seem to share a skeleton, I agree.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Where are Bruticus pics?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I added a twitter link at the end of my post, it has all the panel pictures.

Brawl and Swindle are friggin' sweet.

One thing they mentioned at the panel: "expect all the seekers, as well as all the Insecticons"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

One thing they mentioned at the panel: "expect all the seekers, as well as all the Insecticons"
I wonder if they mean as Legends. I would be super happy to see Conehead legends.

Blah blah future we all want.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

SOMEONE FIND OUT IF SKY LYNX CAN SEPARATE

Either way though FUUUUUUCK :aaaaa:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Legends Class Buzzsaw

you may now start tape reaping

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SKY LYNX! Holy botsack!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Deceptive Thinker, are you responsible for this wonderous event?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

SOMEONE FIND OUT IF SKY LYNX CAN SEPARATE

Either way though FUUUUUUCK :aaaaa:

I'm not sure, but I'm looking at the display case pictures now and... from certain angles it seems like it could be possible. Even if the toy can't do it out of the box, the Panther head is sort of in the right place so if you managed to separate both halves you could end with a G1ish separate Sky Lynx.

Maybe.

e: No wait I'm wrong, the Lynx head would end up on his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I-

is Sky Lynx a Silverbolt retool? I think he is!

That is loving impressive. Chromia may have just lost her crown.

A bit more poop brown on the Combaticons than I would have liked, but they look good.