Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

VR is like, if Sony dumps a ton of money to get a bunch of devs to support it it will find a decent audience but that's the only way. Like whatever year it comes out, that holiday every first person game coming out better support it and even some older games as well need to have it patched if possible. Otherwise it's going to be like the Move where it has massive release hype and then becomes a niche four months later.

I don't remember this massive Move release hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got my system and it works great so far, but I misunderstood what the headset connection on the DS4 would be. My headset has both pink and green connections (aka mic and line out), is there an adaptor or something I can get to use it with my controller for both mic and game audio?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

VR is like, if Sony dumps a ton of money to get a bunch of devs to support it it will find a decent audience but that's the only way. Like whatever year it comes out, that holiday every first person game coming out better support it and even some older games as well need to have it patched if possible. Otherwise it's going to be like the Move where it has massive release hype and then becomes a niche four months later.
You don't want those games to support VR, you think you do, but you don't.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

homeless snail posted:

You don't want those games to support VR, you think you do, but you don't.

:wtc: Thanks, really dodged a bullet there. Can you help me get dressed also?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Andrast posted:

Move had enough hype that GameStops did Midnight launches and the stuff was in very high demand in the US right up to Christmas, then it died. It was selling out and Sony even had several games retroactively patched to support it despite questionable popularity of the games themselves at that time like MAG. All of the retailers in general went in big to push Move and Kinect because game hardware sales across all of them were down at that time and the economy was still of course nowhere near at a point where people would even consider getting a PS4 or XBox 720 One. So these were going to be the new big pieces of plastic you'd be getting lots of games and DLC and accessories for.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 20, 2015

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Got my system and it works great so far, but I misunderstood what the headset connection on the DS4 would be. My headset has both pink and green connections (aka mic and line out), is there an adaptor or something I can get to use it with my controller for both mic and game audio?

you want something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

:wtc: Thanks, really dodged a bullet there. Can you help me get dressed also?
After you puke all over them from playing Call of Duty in VR, sure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

homeless snail posted:

After you puke all over them from playing Call of Duty in VR, sure.

This is amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I'm not sure where sports games threads are but I haven't played an NHL game in a while, and I had a hockey buff friend coming to town, is 15 still poo poo and is 14 the way to go?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Andrast posted:

Go read the archived thread for PS4. There are tons of people who legitimately thought move was going to explode, despite every single preview making it look like gimmicky nonsense. People were legit excited for that spell slinging "game" which seriously looked like a half rear end tech demo they threw together 3 days before E3. People love their gimmicks. Although personally I do think VR will be a legitimate tech, but possibly not on the 1st go.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Alan Smithee posted:

So I'm not sure where sports games threads are but I haven't played an NHL game in a while, and I had a hockey buff friend coming to town, is 15 still poo poo and is 14 the way to go?

Yep. Avoid NHL 15 like the plague.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Megasabin posted:

Go read the archived thread for PS4. There are tons of people who legitimately thought move was going to explode, despite every single preview making it look like gimmicky nonsense. People were legit excited for that spell slinging "game" which seriously looked like a half rear end tech demo they threw together 3 days before E3. People love their gimmicks. Although personally I do think VR will be a legitimate tech, but possibly not on the 1st go.

It is a shame nothing was really done with it, because the actual Move tech is pretty good. It really is 1:1 movement, and gets really precise... I played a bunch of bocce with the Sports Champions pack-in, and you really were able to get a "feel" for throws, and have little nuances of your release be picked up in the game. It was pretty impressive, but of course Sports Champions itself didn't have the greatest production values or gameplay quality. I honestly never even bothered trying Move aiming for any game that supports it.

For what positive the Wii did for motion gaming, it did way more negative, because once everyone figured out you didn't have to do anything more than flick your wrist to hit home runs or swing the tennis racquet, people assumed all motion gaming was like that.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Although personally I do think VR will be a legitimate tech, but possibly not on the 1st go.

Really this is the second go for VR. I think it'll stick around at least as a niche this time.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

MinibarMatchman posted:

it sounds pretty great so far. The developers recently guaranteed that this series refresh offers zero microtransactions and a slew of free DLC updates. No season passes, no bullshit, plus a closed-doors gameplay session or two echoed how free and open the series used to be. Absolution loving sucked because there was maybe 3 or so levels where you could really play around, and the rest of the game was less about assassinating people and more about being cornered like a dog at every opportunity, devolving it into a generic third-person shooter. With the new one, it sounds like you're back as the smooth operator, without the constraint of an entire goddamn agency actively gunning for you.

Most importantly to me, they promised open world, no-checkpoint assassinations. I've been wanting Blood Money with great graphics for so long now.

edit: I'm so excited I somehow didn't notice that's the thing you said.

frenton fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 20, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alan Smithee posted:

Sports game threads have their own subforum in SAS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Looks perfect thanks.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons, Big W is apparently purging a shitload of their videogame stock at the moment, and one of the items on that list is the Destiny Bundle PS4 for only $200. There's probably no chance of spotting one unsold, but might be worth a look if you know an out-of-the-way store. They're also flogging PS3 Slims and PS Vitas for $50 each, incidentally.

Gonna go check this out this morning. hopefully snag something.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Alan Smithee posted:

14 didn't exist on PS4 or xbone. 15 is a perfectly serviceable hockey game for playing with friends in the same room, they just inexplicably stripped almost every mode out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My concern is Sony doesn't support niche. If VR comes out and is awesome I will wait at least a year to see if there still making games for it.

...except if the make an xwing game. Then I will spend 400$or whatever on one game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm sold on VR, but I'm still cautious about whether or not this first wave will end up as a gimmick. I'll grab a morpheus down the road if a bunch of good games support it but I won't be tripping all over myself to play Shark Cage or whatever its called.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NHL 15 is 20 bucks on PSN. A very good price for it.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Sent an email to metanet@metanetsoftware.com and they sent me a beta code even though I missed the contest thing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

It is a shame nothing was really done with it, because the actual Move tech is pretty good. It really is 1:1 movement, and gets really precise...

Something IS being done with it, though - it's being used as the main controller for a whole bunch of Morpheus games, where it apparently works way better than it ever did with regular titles.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Any word on if they're going to use the exact (ps3?) controllers that are already out? I'm tempted to grab some while they're being cleared out before they potentially surge in popularity

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

According to Yoshida they're not going to revise them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

Oculus is sourcing the screens for the Rift CV from Samsung, so there's probably some boring rear end mutually beneficial business deal behind Gear VR no one cares about.

Oculus, Morpheus and whoever else is trying to get VR headset going are all probably at least a little involved with eachother despite being competition, because they all need to be relatively standardized just to properly compete.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BreakAtmo posted:

Something IS being done with it, though - it's being used as the main controller for a whole bunch of Morpheus games, where it apparently works way better than it ever did with regular titles.

Yeah, VR pairs really well with these types of controls. I always wanted a Kinect paired with Oculus because you could have it map your arms holding a VR gun and track it perfectly, even pulling the trigger. Kinect tech is amazing for this, but on its own it is pretty useless.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oculus, Morpheus and whoever else is trying to get VR headset going are all probably at least a little involved with eachother despite being competition, because they all need to be relatively standardized just to properly compete.

There's not going to be a standard for a long, long time. It's gonna be years before companies even manage to really figure out how to use it correctly, much less come to a consensus on what that is.

There's a lot of vomiting to come in video games' near future.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Folks I'm having trouble with my Dualshock 4. I use it exclusively to play PC games so I don't have a PS4. It was working 10 minutes ago. Now when I try to power it on, the white light just blinks. Pushing the tiny hard reset button at the back doesn't help. It does charge, during which the orange light turns on as usual.

Do I have to ship this back to Sony? What a bummer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did they ever do the update where you can map buttons on a systemic level? Where do I find that and can you make it game specific? I never want to use R3 to knife in an FPS for the rest of my life.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

Did they ever do the update where you can map buttons on a systemic level? Where do I find that and can you make it game specific? I never want to use R3 to knife in an FPS for the rest of my life.

yes
in the settings menu, i think its in the accessibility section
No its system wide, not by game
why not?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a weird tick where I accidentally click the sticks when I see an unexpected enemy and it makes FPS games that use r3 to knife virtually unplayable for me. I played BF4 for the first time in forever tonight and it was completely game ruining. Even when I used to play a lot it was the cause of probably 50% of my deaths.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gently caress whoever invented L3/R3. Just put two more goddamn buttons on the front of the controller.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Philthy posted:

Yeah, VR pairs really well with these types of controls. I always wanted a Kinect paired with Oculus because you could have it map your arms holding a VR gun and track it perfectly, even pulling the trigger. Kinect tech is amazing for this, but on its own it is pretty useless.

You're thinking small. I want a headset, computer and gun-shaped controllers connected up to a pedaling exercise machine (basically a stuck-in-place unicycle) surrounded by Kinect-esque cameras, where you use the machine to move around - the faster you pedal, the faster you run. Make an MP shooter that doubles as exercise! :D

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

boz posted:

Sent an email to metanet@metanetsoftware.com and they sent me a beta code even though I missed the contest thing.

This is about N++ in case anyone was wondering

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

gently caress whoever invented L3/R3. Just put two more goddamn buttons on the front of the controller.

Triggers like the Scuf controllers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've got $10 credit at Gamefly, and I'm sorting through their used list looking for something to spend it on ($5 expires today). So far it's a toss up of

Alien Isolation - played it a bit and got frustrated at the first stealth section, but loved the game up to that point ($8)
Crimes and Punishment - A Sherlock Holmes game for $3 out of pocket can't be terrible, right?
Saint's Row - I already played 4 on 360, but the new content and (hopefully) a smoother fps sounds fun, and it'd only be $9
The Last of Us - again, already played but I'm curious how it looks and if the DLC is good. $12 out of pocket

Any suggestions across those four? Everything else in their store I've either ruled out or already played.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I was very busy through all of E3 week, what did I miss?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MZ posted:

I was very busy through all of E3 week, what did I miss?

Lots. The Last Guardian, FF7 remake, Shenmue III, Horizon (from the Killzone guys), Xbone is getting partial 360 BC, GoW4, GoW1: Ultimate Edition, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, and South Park: the Fractured But Whole off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

EC posted:

I've got $10 credit at Gamefly, and I'm sorting through their used list looking for something to spend it on ($5 expires today). So far it's a toss up of

Alien Isolation - played it a bit and got frustrated at the first stealth section, but loved the game up to that point ($8)
Crimes and Punishment - A Sherlock Holmes game for $3 out of pocket can't be terrible, right?
Saint's Row - I already played 4 on 360, but the new content and (hopefully) a smoother fps sounds fun, and it'd only be $9
The Last of Us - again, already played but I'm curious how it looks and if the DLC is good. $12 out of pocket

Any suggestions across those four? Everything else in their store I've either ruled out or already played.

If you like multiplayer at all, Last of Us has great mp that is still active. There's a few goon groups as well (that I need to play with again eventually). The only other one I would recommend is Alien Isolation, but you can put way more hours into TLoU between the single and multi. AI is very much a "play once and be done" kind of game.

• Locked thread