Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

That might be difficult since 'convincing young men to kill and die for a cause' is pretty essential to societies. The concern is individuals being radicalized by 'niche' causes.

I disagree. It is essential to starting wars. But not to winning them and not to national defense.

The willingness to fight to protect ones home/territory is instinctive in all humans. It doesn't need to be inculcated. When a nation is truly in peril there are no shortage of fighters. Most notably female fighters who have, if anything, been socially conditioned not to fight. But in the face of actual danger Russian women cut off their hair and became snipers or flew with the night witches. Native American women ride in cavalry charges and participated in guerrilla raids as well as acted as scouts. There are fascinating documentaries following the women veterans of Viet Nam ( http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0253219/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv#showAll ). Hell, there were prominent women fighters in the Troubles in Ireland and standing before fire hoses and dogs in Selma.

If women will kill and die in defense of their homes and families despite heavy indoctrination not to, then why should radicalization of men be necessary for society to continue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has this been posted yet?

quote:

"Eight of his church members, who might be alive if he had expressly allowed members to carry handguns in church, are dead," Cotton said. "Innocent people died because of his political position on the issue."

Cause seriously what a poo poo head.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Mitt Romney

Honestly surprised by this.

Mitt even said during the 2008 primary debates that the confederate flag "is divisive and shouldn't be shown".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ZXWaYyM8U

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Cythereal posted:

Remember that the Bundy Ranch intended to use the women present as human shields.

I would phrase this as,

Remember, the women that rallied to defend the Bundy Ranch were volunteering to be human shields.

They have agency. They weren't passive captives. They believed that the tyrannical federal government would gun them down and sought to be martyrs.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

fade5 posted:

I appreciate the namedrop, and that my posts are making sense to other people. It really is depressing to realize that the brainwashing/radicalization process is so similar, because I can identify the similarities all day but I can't really do a goddamn thing about it. It's easy to know where he got the indoctrination from and to know why he did what he did, but preventing this from happening again (and again and again and ...) means acknowledging how toxic all that poo poo is, how bad it all is. That's the first step, but it's really hard to even get people to acknowledge that this is a loving problem, and you can't really move on to fixing the problem if it isn't acknowledged as a problem in the first place.

Radicalization is hard to fight against even in the best of times, and these are not the best of times. I had thought we'd been making progress, but it seems like we're backsliding on a lot of fronts and I don't know what I can really do about it. There's been that rear end in a top hat who killed six people in a shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, the murder of Dr. George Tiller (ran an abortion clinic) who was also killed in a loving church, a pair of anti-immigration assholes who killed of a Latino man and his 9-year-old daughter, the Bundy Ranch stand-off, that rear end in a top hat in Dallas, those Gadsden Flag spree killers in Las Vegas (Remember them? Fox sure doesn't) and now this rear end in a top hat.

I'm honestly starting to slide into some slightly dark thoughts along the line of "Do we have to have some more slaughters like Waco and Ruby Ridge and/or another OKC-style bombing before this poo poo finally gets forced back underground?", and I really hate that I'm starting to think like that. I just feel kinda helpless, and it sucks.

While there are a ton of things that are great about the internet, it's a useful tool for reactionaries as well. To me it seems like people can find a tidbit of info that makes sense to them, and then they get drawn into an information bubble that feeds them exactly what they want to hear and blocks out conflicting narratives. The fact that the modern American right wing bubble has more and more overlapped with extremist reactionary bubbles is troubling. I think it's very easy for someone to fall down the rabbit hole starting on Fox and talk radio before going online through outlets like Drudge and then into places like Infowars, Freep and Stormfront. I don't think this has been a conscious decision on the part of these outlets (Fox and co) as much as it is a natural progression as RWM has moved further and further to the right. The Frankenstein's monster of the modern Tea Party coalition I feel has been a cynical attempt to harness reactionary sentiment to secure political aims for the billionaire class, and this violent radicalization of the right is an unintended consequence for the people who started and continue to feed the movement.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

fade5 posted:

I appreciate the namedrop, and that my posts are making sense to other people. It really is depressing to realize that the brainwashing/radicalization process is so similar, because I can identify the similarities all day but I can't really do a goddamn thing about it. It's easy to know where he got the indoctrination from and to know why he did what he did, but preventing this from happening again (and again and again and ...) means acknowledging how toxic all that poo poo is, how bad it all is. That's the first step, but it's really hard to even get people to acknowledge that this is a loving problem, and you can't really move on to fixing the problem if it isn't acknowledged as a problem in the first place.

Radicalization is hard to fight against even in the best of times, and these are not the best of times. I had thought we'd been making progress, but it seems like we're backsliding on a lot of fronts and I don't know what I can really do about it. There's been that rear end in a top hat who killed six people in a shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, the murder of Dr. George Tiller (ran an abortion clinic) who was also killed in a loving church, a pair of anti-immigration assholes who killed of a Latino man and his 9-year-old daughter, the Bundy Ranch stand-off, that rear end in a top hat in Dallas, those Gadsden Flag spree killers in Las Vegas (Remember them? Fox sure doesn't) and now this rear end in a top hat.

I'm honestly starting to slide into some slightly dark thoughts along the line of "Do we have to have some more slaughters like Waco and Ruby Ridge and/or another OKC-style bombing before this poo poo finally gets forced back underground?", and I really hate that I'm starting to think like that. I just feel kinda helpless, and it sucks.

You've got your dark thoughts backwards. Waco and Ruby Ridge were motivations for right wing lunatics, including Timothy McVeigh.

And I don't think the country is backsliding, even though it can seem that way when such horrific events are fresh on everyone's minds. I think the racists know they're slowly losing, and they're getting desperate. And when they're desperate, their true feelings are a lot less hidden than they used to be.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

Yes the government heavy handedly killing more citizens is exactly what will help fix things.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mlmp08 posted:

It is not even a new thing: http://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founded-as-a-racist-utopia-1539567040

tl;dr Portland was literally founded as a whites-only state and intended to maintain racial purity. The state remains less than 2% black.

Volksfront is the most active white supremacist organization in the NW right now.

Regardless, that article is really good. There are too many residents here that think we're some Utopia where racism never happened. The racial history of Oregon is awful. The state elected a Klan backed Democratic governor in the 20s (don't tell Sarah Palin).

In other topics, I was linked to this great piece yesterday on the "Mythology of Whiteness".

https://medium.com/message/whiteness-3ead03700322

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Roof's site was either down or overloaded when I tried it but thankfully someone thought to point the Internet Archive at it earlier today: https://web.archive.org/web/20150620134455/http://lastrhodesian.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20150620135047/http://lastrhodesian.com/data/documents/rtf88.txt is his manifesto

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ponzicar posted:

You've got your dark thoughts backwards. Waco and Ruby Ridge were motivations for right wing lunatics, including Timothy McVeigh.

And I don't think the country is backsliding, even though it can seem that way when such horrific events are fresh on everyone's minds. I think the racists know they're slowly losing, and they're getting desperate. And when they're desperate, their true feelings are a lot less hidden than they used to be.
Huh, you're right. Ruby Ridge was August 1992, the Waco siege was February to April 1993, and the Oklahoma City bombing was April 1995, exactly two years after Waco. Turns out I had my timeline a little muddled. To be fair I was really young when all of that happened, and the craziness had sorta died down by the time I was old enough to be cognizant of it.

Well then, thanks for the correction and for giving me a little optimism. Seriously, thanks.:unsmith:

E: Also McAlister you missed the Kurdish YPJ in your list of awesome women's fighter groups.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I still love that the conservative site that he explicitly mentions set him off against blacks had to walk it back but STILL stipulates that it was PROBABLY motivated by racism.

I mean, he stated his motivation multiple times out loud and in the manifesto that directly links data from you as inspiring his racist hate, but there is still a chance that it's not. This loving country.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

I don't really feel like going to his website or reading his manifesto, but for those who have, does he ever admit to being part of any white power group?

This is obviously getting a lot of attention and his manifesto is in the news so the word is out there, but I'm wondering if we'll get to see any increased investigations into these movements by the feds now that this has happened.

no, there are a lot of white supremacists out there mopping sweat off their brow that this guy was a "lone nut"

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

This just popped up in my feed. These two shiteaters were just let go Friday from their jobs as police lieutenants in some Alabama town for their ties to a WN group. The kicker? Their superiors and the town manager knew they were WN assholes for a couple years because the SPLC made a report on them and reported them to the city police/government. It's just a few bad apples though, right guys?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/20/how-twitter-sleuths-found-dylann-roof-s-manifesto.html

4 zillion op-ed talking heads covering Charleston and its 2 weird twitter goons who uncover the manifesto

quote:

“As a communist,” Quangel said, “it is my duty and obligation to spend at least $49 to help ruin this guy’s insanity plea.”

:golfclap:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This just popped up in my feed. These two shiteaters were just let go Friday from their jobs as police lieutenants in some Alabama town for their ties to a WN group. The kicker? Their superiors and the town manager knew they were WN assholes for a couple years because the SPLC made a report on them and reported them to the city police/government. It's just a few bad apples though, right guys?

You know the old saying: "A few bad apples create a culture in which they can murder a whole bunch of minorities with impunity."

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

It's a really good quote.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/20/how-twitter-sleuths-found-dylann-roof-s-manifesto.html

4 zillion op-ed talking heads covering Charleston and its 2 weird twitter goons who uncover the manifesto

lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

good poo poo

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

fosborb posted:

It's a really good quote.

The thing I always appreciate about goons is that they will put in that little extra bit of effort to gently caress someone over. Like, they could have posted it places without the confirmation, or passed it off to a reporter, and it would have been done. But goons go the extra mile just to make sure when they dick someone over. It's like a supervillain moving something to a higher shelf so the people can't reach it. You don't have to, but it is giving 110% like that which makes the difference.

And it being applies to a fuckwad line this, all the better

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 20, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

comedy gold

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A ton of people (40M +) recently saw Jon Stewart's speech on Charleston today and yesterday. Could this video alone make many people wake the gently caress up to the ugly truth? Or will they continue to do jack-poo poo?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Internet Webguy posted:

I still love that the conservative site that he explicitly mentions set him off against blacks had to walk it back but STILL stipulates that it was PROBABLY motivated by racism.

I mean, he stated his motivation multiple times out loud and in the manifesto that directly links data from you as inspiring his racist hate, but there is still a chance that it's not. This loving country.

Looks like that site has been knocked offline now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
SA goons found this stuff? Man, sometimes I love this website...

Did they get banned for doxxing?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Grouchio posted:

A ton of people (40M +) recently saw Jon Stewart's speech on Charleston today and yesterday. Could this video alone make many people wake the gently caress up to the ugly truth? Or will they continue to do jack-poo poo?

I think you know the answer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grouchio posted:

The latter. The people who need to wake up don't watch Jon Stewart and completely dismiss everything he says.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

site posted:

SA goons found this stuff? Man, sometimes I love this website...

Did they get banned for doxxing?

Itd only be fair. Although isn't that just for other members?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

A lot of them will think "Well thankfully I live in [Northern City] where we don't have racism".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gravel Gravy posted:

Itd only be fair. Although isn't that just for other members?
Pretty sure it's just for other members, and if we found out Roof was a member he'd get banned

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Well it's like Mao said, power flows from a sick political burn

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I've learned to say "y'all" and eat grits. Oh and gently caress your racist flag. -Mitt

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Does Krinkle still post here once in a while or am I thinking of someone else from rhizzone?

Either way, lmfao at rhizzone busting the case

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The FBI made a statement that this attack is not terrorism because 'it was not a political act'. Are you kidding me? Is it only terrorism when the FBI helps you to commit a crime?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How is targeting a state senator to trigger a race war not a political act? Did they say the same thing with Loughner?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh hey, sudden thread title change

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

FlamingLiberal posted:

The FBI made a statement that this attack is not terrorism because 'it was not a political act'.

Interesting. Can you link to the statement?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The FBI made a statement that this attack is not terrorism because 'it was not a political act'. Are you kidding me? Is it only terrorism when the FBI helps you to commit a crime?

Didn't they say that yesterday though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Didn't they say that yesterday though?
Seems like the statement was from today.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fbi-director-says-charleston-shooting-not-terrorism/

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's only terrorism if your skin is darker than an Italian.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Double-post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fried Chicken posted:

Idgi :(

FlamingLiberal posted:

:negative:

• Locked thread