Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Braki posted:

Not sure about prices unfortunately since I'm in Canada but try to keep the pills as low-stress as possible. Are there any treats that he loves that he'll eat them in? Preferably low in salt? If he does tend to steal human food I'd try to keep him away from salty things as that will worsen his heart condition.

He normally loves dreamies and tries to steal all our food (particularly fish, cream, yoghurt etc.) We had to pill him on Sunday before we took him for more tests, and cracked open a dreamie to stuff the little pill inside (it's only a quarter pill so not very big). He wouldn't eat it out of normal food, peanut butter, yoghurt or cheese but he did out of the dreamies after some cajoling... Since we're going to have to do it 3x/day forever I want to try and make it as easy as possible!! I've ordered some of those greenies pill pockets so we'll see about those.

Does anyone know any brands of super stinky delicious cat food that is not in chunks, the smooth kind? Might be easier to hide a little pill in a small amount of that and just make sure he eats it all. He's quite fussy about food sometimes and will just lick the jelly/gravy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm getting my first cats in a few weeks and I'm just so incredibly excited! My girlfriend has had cats pretty much here entire life but I've only had a dog prior to this. We were originally looking for two kittens but when a friend of the family was looking to get rid of one kitten and her older brother we just had to get them. If anything, it might be easier that the older one will be a bit calmer. As you can see in this picture they get along great! I just had to share somewhere else since my girlfriend is slightly less excited since she has gotten to live with 6 different kittens and might get tired of my continous squeeing for another 5 weeks before we go pick them up

Darksidepsy
Nov 4, 2009
Question for anyone that has a cat with crystals.

When she was first diagnosed she was given the Urinary SO prescription food. This worked fine for the past year or so however the crystals have come back. I feed her once in the morning and once at night, she's always been a small cat so feeding her more of the stuff would be hard but I was wondering if anyone else dealt with this and could offer some advice/suggestions? :) I am taking her to the vet this weekend.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How's her water intake? If it's the dry formula and not wet food, add water to her kibble. Fountains also help as well as just having water dishes everywhere in her range. Also the dissolution formula generally is used only in the first 1-2 months, switching to a maintenance urinary formula afterwards so that the urine doesnt get too acidic and start forming a completely different kind of crystal. This is just generally though, speak with your vet for better ideas and to assess your cat. Good luck!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Can't believe I didn't realize this before. If you have a cat that likes to talk, jiggle them when they meow so they go MEowMEOwmEOwMEOw. They get annoyed which makes them meow more so you can jiggle them even more!

Edit: my cat looked at me with his evil eye while I wrote this and now I can't stop sneezing :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Danith posted:

Can't believe I didn't realize this before. If you have a cat that likes to talk, jiggle them when they meow so they go MEowMEOwmEOwMEOw. They get annoyed which makes them meow more so you can jiggle them even more!

Edit: my cat looked at me with his evil eye while I wrote this and now I can't stop sneezing :(

For he is a mixture of gravity and waggery.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm attempting to switch my cats from a Rubbermaid tub to a booda dome.

Besides adding a good dose of Cat Attract, what else can i do to prevent a poo-everywhere-else riot?

Stemmler
May 17, 2004

A stray cat recently had kittens in my mom's backyard. Now we have kitten fever and are thinking about taking one in. The only problem is my girlfriend and I live in a on bedroom apartment with out chubby 2 year old cat Max. We think he may like the company but we don't know how he will react to another animal, when he was small he was ok around my mom's cats but he hasn't been around them in a year and a half. We also barely have room for the one large rubbermaid litter box.

Also our current cat is on a diet. he grazes on his food throughout the day, we just leave less out now than before. I don;t know how we will deal with letting the kitten eat enough of the kitten food without Max enjoying any leftovers. We also don't have enough room to keep them separate without cutting the apartment in half.

Part of me wants to find ways around these problems and take home a kitten, but the other half wants to just accept the fact one cat is all we can have right now. Any ideas on how this could work or recommendations to just not bother with it would be helpful. We may just bring one home to see how Max reacts. This is also an excuse to post kitten pics.

All but the gray and white one after we pulled them from some tubes next to the garage.

My mom started catching the ones she could and bringing them inside to feed and get used to people before bringing them back to their mother

They found the softest spot under the bed to nap.

This is the runt but looks like he will be a hand full in a few weeks.

This is the one we might want to take home.

And Max, our current cat and tied for the least aggressive cat I have ever had.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Stemmler posted:

And Max, our current cat and tied for the least aggressive cat I have ever had.

Oh my god, that looks like my old Sinatra. :swoon: (He had vivid blue eyes)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Was there a thread consensus on Frontline/Revolution/etc? We left our (screened) windows open for about a month thanks to the nice weather, and now I've found some flea dirt on the cat. I'm sure whatever I end up with will be whatever it is the vet carries, but thought I'd ask.

toplitzin posted:

I'm attempting to switch my cats from a Rubbermaid tub to a booda dome.

Besides adding a good dose of Cat Attract, what else can i do to prevent a poo-everywhere-else riot?

Make sure the new box is in the exact place of the old box, if possible. I'd also leave the lid off the dome for a bit at first to ease into the new box.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Both work fine in cats, Revolution also gets heartworms.

I prefer Revolution, but either is fine.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Seems we have fleas :(

I've been brushing Tiger daily, and didn't notice anything, but when I was reading in bed with her beside me, the mother of all fleas fell out of my hair :stare:

Never seen a flea this big, and I have no idea how I could've missed it. Explains why she hasn't been sleeping much in the bed lately though :(

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vampess posted:

Seems we have fleas :(

I've been brushing Tiger daily, and didn't notice anything, but when I was reading in bed with her beside me, the mother of all fleas fell out of my hair :stare:

Never seen a flea this big, and I have no idea how I could've missed it. Explains why she hasn't been sleeping much in the bed lately though :(

Seems to me like its not the cat who's got fleas. Maybe that is why she wasn't sleeping with you, she didn't want to catch them.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Need some advice here. My new kitten, Da Long Bao, is home, but mom doesn't want the kitten to ever leave my room unless I'm home to supervise her. This is to make sure she doesn't scratch furniture. Kitten is 11 weeks old right now. She's never showed an inclination towards scratching wooden surfaces. She's scratched sisal poles, cloth (when attempting to climb it or if it's waving around), and human skin. Never scratched wood or walls. She has scratched her litter mat and some fluffy cloth bathroom mats.

I want to give her free reign around the house, but I don't want her to ever scratch our wood/leather furniture. Though she's never shown a desire to do that. I hate the idea of her being confined to a single room for 10-11 hours of the day when I'm not home.

Obligatory pic:

From left to right: Da Long Bao, Taro, and Mantou

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Cat may be broken.

Mocha's been urinating in odd places again. We took her to the vet, who says she's put on weight, doesn't seem dehydrated, and has a lot more energy than the last time she came in, but her bladder infection may be reoccurring, or the last round of antibiotics didn't fully take care of it. Bladder palpitations didn't show any evidence of a mass or anything, which is always good news.

We got her another 14-day shot on that visit (Saturday), but she's still pissing anywhere but the litterbox today. Last time she got antibiotics, she was back to the litterbox the day after her shot.

Maybe she just hates us and our carpets?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Sigh. Allergic cat didn't get much better on the Zyrtec. It was two weeks of 5 mg per day (one dose). Like fools we switched back to chicken/turkey a few days back because, frankly, deer fat is gross and makes everything smell like rancid deer fat. I think she got worse, but it might be that she just never got better.

We're taking her to the vet tomorrow, but am I doing this wrong? One vet hospital's website says to do two doses a day, and we're going to try lamb or something. I started looking into other :catdrugs: but I feel like I'm flailing, which is a recipe for making a stupid mistake, so I'm just going to see what a professional says to do.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Adopted a kitten. She is small and adorable.

We already have an older cat, he's about 6 years old but we've only had him for about 1 and a half years, and he isn't very pleased. We're trying to take things slow and keep them separated and introduce them slowly but our apartment isn't very large which makes it a bit tricky. He caught a glimpse of her and hissed and growled but he seems to be slowly getting used to all the new smells and to having one room be off limits. In a few days he'll probably be cool with it and maybe in a few weeks or months they'll even like each other. Hopefully.

Here's him:

We keep her in the living room with her own food and water bowls and litter box as well as some toys. He has the rest of the apartment with his food and box in the usual places. I've been doing stuff like rubbing her with some cloth and then him. At first he hissed at the cloth but then after a few times back and forth he stopped. I then placed the cloth near his food and water hoping that he'll not only associate her smell with his own smell but also with food. He's been spending a lot of time sniffing the door to the living room, most of the time he'll just sit there but every now and then he'll hiss at the door. We've been ignoring the hisses and petting him or giving him treats when he just sniffs at the door and doesn't show any negative reaction. He is from the same shelter she is and could walk freely among about half a dozen other cats there without any conflict so he doesn't have a general problem with other cats.

Anyone got any other tips for making a new kitten and an older cat get used to each other?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 16, 2015

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Dalael posted:

Seems to me like its not the cat who's got fleas. Maybe that is why she wasn't sleeping with you, she didn't want to catch them.

May be. But only cat fleas grow that big, apparently (I seriously had to look it up, because this seemed like a regular sized bug flea). And yeah, set some traps around the house, and caught some regular sized fleas. I feel kind of bad, because I thought it was the hot weather that made her avoid the bed, and she kept meowing when I came downstairs, and I had no idea why :(

The good thing however, is that I seem to have caught it rather early, so there's no real infestation yet.

Vampess fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 16, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

demota posted:

Need some advice here. My new kitten, Da Long Bao, is home, but mom doesn't want the kitten to ever leave my room unless I'm home to supervise her. This is to make sure she doesn't scratch furniture. Kitten is 11 weeks old right now. She's never showed an inclination towards scratching wooden surfaces. She's scratched sisal poles, cloth (when attempting to climb it or if it's waving around), and human skin. Never scratched wood or walls. She has scratched her litter mat and some fluffy cloth bathroom mats.

I want to give her free reign around the house, but I don't want her to ever scratch our wood/leather furniture. Though she's never shown a desire to do that. I hate the idea of her being confined to a single room for 10-11 hours of the day when I'm not home.

Obligatory pic:

From left to right: Da Long Bao, Taro, and Mantou
If you ever let her out into the rest of the house, you'll need to make sure there are alternative surfaces for her to scratch readily available. I haven't known cats to scratch polished wood(I'm assuming you have traditional uncomfortable furniture), but I can't guarantee they won't scratch leather(my brother's cats don't, my girl's cats do scratch this stiff pleather kinda surface sometimes). Your mom will only be happy when she's convinced that your cat won't scratch poo poo by watching her over time with your cat in fact not scratching poo poo. If you can find an actual piece of carpet(f'real carpet, not a bathroom mat), I find that cats fuckin love those.

also, nice cat names although i despise taro

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

FreudianSlippers posted:

Adopted a kitten. She is small and adorable.

We already have an older cat, he's about 6 years old but we've only had him for about 1 and a half years, and he isn't very pleased. We're trying to take things slow and keep them separated and introduce them slowly but our apartment isn't very large which makes it a bit tricky. He caught a glimpse of her and hissed and growled but he seems to be slowly getting used to all the new smells and to having one room be off limits. In a few days he'll probably be cool with it and maybe in a few weeks or months they'll even like each other. Hopefully.

Here's him:

We keep her in the living room with her own food and water bowls and litter box as well as some toys. He has the rest of the apartment with his food and box in the usual places. I've been doing stuff like rubbing her with some cloth and then him. At first he hissed at the cloth but then after a few times back and forth he stopped. I then placed the cloth near his food and water hoping that he'll not only associate her smell with his own smell but also with food. He's been spending a lot of time sniffing the door to the living room, most of the time he'll just sit there but every now and then he'll hiss at the door. We've been ignoring the hisses and petting him or giving him treats when he just sniffs at the door and doesn't show any negative reaction. He is from the same shelter she is and could walk freely among about half a dozen other cats there without any conflict so he doesn't have a general problem with other cats.

Anyone got any other tips for making a new kitten and an older cat get used to each other?

Get yourself a Feliway diffuser. Vets should have them, and Amazon does as well.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vampess posted:

May be. But only cat fleas grow that big, apparently (I seriously had to look it up, because this seemed like a regular sized bug flea). And yeah, set some traps around the house, and caught some regular sized fleas. I feel kind of bad, because I thought it was the hot weather that made her avoid the bed, and she kept meowing when I came downstairs, and I had no idea why :(

The good thing however, is that I seem to have caught it rather early, so there's no real infestation yet.

I highly recommend Avantage for cats (http://www.nobiteisright.ca/for-cats/). I've had an infestation once and no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of all of them. I started using this and it worked like a charm. I am sure there are other brands, but I definitely wouldnt trust the cheap wallmart stuff.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Get yourself a Feliway diffuser. Vets should have them, and Amazon does as well.

I put mine on a light timer so it runs 30 min on/ 30 min off, to make the things last twice as long. Because I am cheap.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm considering getting some shelves for my cat to climb on so he can get to some of the higher windows in my apartment (I'm in a New England basement apartment). What are people's experiences with them? What are good brands to look at?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Cat may be broken.

Maybe she just hates us and our carpets?

Cat fixed now? We've had a whole day of Mocha using the litterbox properly. Cross your fingers that it stays that way!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'm considering getting some shelves for my cat to climb on so he can get to some of the higher windows in my apartment (I'm in a New England basement apartment). What are people's experiences with them? What are good brands to look at?

Get some cat trees. I think I got mine from Molly & Friends, because they made really tall ones. Seems durable.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

We bought shelves from My Cat Habitat and shipped them all the way to friggin' NZ and I regret nothing. They are awesome. I hate cat furniture and they look great and are not embarrassing.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Is it ok to give a 17 year old cat a bath? I brush him everyday but he is shedding like crazy. Would a bath help? Also, if i don't comb him daily I'll get a pile of vomit hair in the morning.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is this a new problem? You might want to see a vet if he's experiencing a lot of hair loss. There's also tasty hairball formulas you can feel to cats as a treat that help pass hairballs. Otherwise, the bath will just be a temporary stopgap as well. Furminator brushes are also good at grabbing and removing lots of dead hair.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
I posted in this thread before about my plan to introduce a new (sphinx) kitten to my home when I already have an older (we think 12 years old but it was a rescue we who knows!) cat who has historically shown aggression toward other cats in the neighborhood (but seems to have mellowed out in recent years). This thread had some good suggestions and I appreciate the tips and advice.

I was looking for advice concerning an emerging change in my living status which may make the transition easier (or harder) for both cats. Independent of our decision to get this new kitten, another unit in our complex has come up for rent and we have decided to move. Before our moving plans, we'd expected to pick up the kitten this weekend and start the introduction process. We're moving in 3 weeks, however.

I was wondering if it might be a better idea to pick up the sphinx just after we move. The logic is that, this home (the one we're living in) is our current older's cat's already and she might take the introduction of a new pet better if it's occurring in the neutral, unowned new environment.

Alternatively, we realize that the move itself is expected to be stressful on the older cat and we're worried that two stresses (moving AND getting a new kitten) may be too much stress at once and maybe we should get the kitten this weekend, as planned, have the older cat adjust to the fact that we have a new kitten and then move, 2 weeks later.

The layout of the new place is the same as our existing place; its only advantage is that it's on a higher floor and has a dishwasher so, whether we go with plan a or plan b, the areas of the house designated the "kitten's" area comprises the bedroom, office, and en-suite bathroom while the older cat will remain in the living/dining room area and kitchen with a graded exposure technique occurring over several weeks between these two spaces. The only thing I'm trying to determine is whether this will be best done in the old apartment or the new apartment.

The breeder has already said she's happy to hold the kitten for an additional 2 weeks (I'd hope so, the kitten cost thousands of dollars) so that's not an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SpeedGem posted:

Is it ok to give a 17 year old cat a bath? I brush him everyday but he is shedding like crazy. Would a bath help? Also, if i don't comb him daily I'll get a pile of vomit hair in the morning.

There are alternatives to full on baths like spray showers and these wet-nap kinda cloths you can use.

Serrath posted:

the kitten cost thousands of dollars

jfc

Oh yeah, advice: wait until you go in the new place; your other cats may see it as "this new place happens to have this scrotum cat" and get used to it, p much what you're thinking. Also maybe grab a feliway diffuser and run it for when they arrive and acclimate.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
[quote="duckfarts" post="""]

jfc

Oh yeah, advice: wait until you go in the new place; your other cats may see it as "this new place happens to have this scrotum cat" and get used to it, p much what you're thinking. Also maybe grab a feliway diffuser and run it for when they arrive and acclimate.
[/quote]

In my defense, this is my partner's cat. She wanted a sphinx cat, she saved up the money for a sphinx cat, she got a sphinx cat. My current rescue cat was adopted by me before I met her.

Thanks for the advice :)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm paying like £400 for my pedigree Russian blue kitten (and a little less for a 2 yr adult), and already that was way too expensive. I'm only going for it because I don't really have many other options due to my allergies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm a little worried about our lil guy these days. He'll sometimes have these episodes in the day where he'll hit the litter box and do nothing or leave a little bit of poo, look at where he tried to go and bury it. He'll usually lick his butt after this for like 10 seconds and peace out.

He still cries outside the litter box but that's nothing new and then he shuts up as soon as we bring out a toy so I can't tell if he's in pain or just typical cat stupid. Later in the day we'll find usual litterbox activity (plenty of pee and the daily poo) so he's not completely blocked but I'm starting to wonder if he's on the path to it or just really pissed at us for not letting him outside whenever he wants to be outside. This is about 2'ish months of being on a new diet and he didn't have any problems last month.

Any thoughts? Other than the struggle dump he seems perfectly fine. He plays heartily, has his usual hyper mood from time to time, eats and drinks normally. I'm inclined to change his diet to have more fiber but I need to do more research on that, we're currently feeding him http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/si...value%3Dfaceted and he is 3 years old'ish. My girlfriend says these behaviors are pretty normal for him but it seems odd to me.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 18, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The older cat is warming to the new kitten. He's stopped hissing and growling outside her door, mostly he just sniffs now and every now and then he'll meow. One time he even lay on his back and poked her paws with his. We gave them their first official introduction today, she has escaped her room a few times but he's never gotten more than a short glimpse at her. We put her in the cat cage and brought her into the room he was in. He was very curious and inspected her and the cage very thoroughly before laying on his back and playing paws with her again.

I've got a feeling they're off to a pretty good start. We're still gonna keep them mostly separate for a few days but let them mingle a bit more and more.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

FreudianSlippers posted:

The older cat is warming to the new kitten. He's stopped hissing and growling outside her door, mostly he just sniffs now and every now and then he'll meow. One time he even lay on his back and poked her paws with his. We gave them their first official introduction today, she has escaped her room a few times but he's never gotten more than a short glimpse at her. We put her in the cat cage and brought her into the room he was in. He was very curious and inspected her and the cage very thoroughly before laying on his back and playing paws with her again.

I've got a feeling they're off to a pretty good start. We're still gonna keep them mostly separate for a few days but let them mingle a bit more and more.

That is way better than Bandito and Hermeowone, who still fight (she hisses then he attacks) after about 4 months but mostly don't care / tolerate each other. This is with 2 feliway diffusers on. At least he stopped ripping fur out of her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats tolerating each other is still vastly preferable to cats just not getting along at all though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rascyc posted:

I'm a little worried about our lil guy these days. He'll sometimes have these episodes in the day where he'll hit the litter box and do nothing or leave a little bit of poo, look at where he tried to go and bury it. He'll usually lick his butt after this for like 10 seconds and peace out.

He still cries outside the litter box but that's nothing new and then he shuts up as soon as we bring out a toy so I can't tell if he's in pain or just typical cat stupid. Later in the day we'll find usual litterbox activity (plenty of pee and the daily poo) so he's not completely blocked but I'm starting to wonder if he's on the path to it or just really pissed at us for not letting him outside whenever he wants to be outside. This is about 2'ish months of being on a new diet and he didn't have any problems last month.

Any thoughts? Other than the struggle dump he seems perfectly fine. He plays heartily, has his usual hyper mood from time to time, eats and drinks normally. I'm inclined to change his diet to have more fiber but I need to do more research on that, we're currently feeding him http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/si...value%3Dfaceted and he is 3 years old'ish. My girlfriend says these behaviors are pretty normal for him but it seems odd to me.

Try canned pumpkin(unspiced).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We tried the first meeting without any cage. Went pretty well. They touched noses near the start which I'm told is a good sign. They swatted at each other a bunch but almost always it was the kitten that swatted first and the older cat retaliated, it wasn't accompanied by any growling or hissing and the kitten is a kitten so it was probably more playfighting. We distracted them with a cat fishing stick for a bit but the older cat managed to grab on to the mouse on the end of the string hard enough to yank it off. Strangely the older cat seemed to be more vary of the kitten than she was of him and would retreat whenever she tried to swat at him or catch his tail. Eventually this turned into a game of tag which lasted for some time. After a bit the older cat seemed to be getting tired of tag so he hid under a chair and hissed at the kitten once. Soon after she lost interest and decided to explore the apartment a bit.

How many of these sort of meetings does it usually take before you can have the kitten roaming around mostly free.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 20, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FreudianSlippers posted:

We tried the first meeting without any cage. Went pretty well. They touched noses near the start which I'm told is a good sign. They swatted at each other a bunch but almost always it was the kitten that swatted first and the older cat retaliated, it wasn't accompanied by any growling or hissing and the kitten is a kitten so it was probably more playfighting. We distracted them with a cat fishing stick for a bit but the older cat managed to grab on to the mouse on the end of the string hard enough to yank it off. Strangely the older cat seemed to be more vary of the kitten than she was of him and would retreat whenever she tried to swat at him or catch his tail. Eventually this turned into a game of tag which lasted for some time. Eventually the older cat seemed to be getting tired of tag so he hid under a chair and hissed at the kitten once. Soon after she soon lost interest and decided to explore the apartment a bit.

How many of these sort of meetings does it usually take before you can have the kitten roaming around mostly free.

Don't be alarmed by some swatting. Kittens are assholes and getting smacked a bit is how they learn from older cats what is and is not acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Plus, I think animals are sometimes wary of the young who aren't theirs because one never knows if mom's going to show up out of nowhere and whoop rear end.