Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Anatharon posted:

What skills should I use on a Man At Arms?
Riposte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Riposte, the guard move to protect an ally, maybe the Forward 1 skill if your formation screws up the 4th is whatever

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Dackel posted:

Riposte, the guard move to protect an ally, maybe the Forward 1 skill if your formation screws up the 4th is whatever

Also either Bolster or Crush, depending on where he's gonna be in the party order.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I take it Riptose is just attached to the one skill? Self-marking doesn't seem to increase how much enemies want to him him, though.

Anyone else had a glitch where you load and your guys have lost all their trinkets and the narrarator is giving his intro spiel? Because that's happened twice now and it really sucks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

InequalityGodzilla posted:

The thing's called the Shambler, right? And it's shrines are those red orbs held aloft by a tentacle? I've seen them before but never really worked up the courage to try and fight it.

How tough is it? I assume I should be bring my A team but does he scale depending on the mission level?
He's pretty rough. I actually almost beat him with my very first group on what might have been my first or second run on my very first game, but even when I bring a bunch of level 2 guys, he tends to cause them all to go nuts pretty quickly. If you bring a bunch of ways to hit the third rank it can help, because he'll keep pooping out little babby shoggoths. The trinket is pretty nice and might be worth killing off a bunch of lamers for, though.

Lakitu7 posted:

Most of my current problems seem to be money. I'm too broke to provision sufficiently, and with the stress penalty of defeat needing a lot of money to undo, there's not really a way out of this short of dismissing a bunch of guys to make room on the roster and running throw away missions with throw away dudes. Letting me run some easy missions with my better dudes who might stand a chance seems like a good way to make some money and get out of the rut? Maybe I could even train up some newbie dudes a little bit by giving them help from 1-2 better dudes. Probably this wouldn't be an issue if I'd played enough yet to know all of what works and what doesn't but when you're learning a few easymode tweaks sound nice.
Money was a really big hurdle for me as well until I learned to pretty much do what you're talking about. I restarted, upgraded the coach to 4 guys per day, and now I fire people at whim, and only spend gold to add skills which they start without. Also learn to minimize the supplies you bring.. For instance in most 90% explore short apprentice missions, I bring 8 food, 6-7 torches, 2 bandages, 1 herb, 1 antidote, 2 keys, and 2-3 shovels. Make sure you have a plan ahead of time on what you are trying to do - keep everyone sane? Keep them alive? Just get loot? Just level up one ringer?

And figure out which items increase the duration of your jaunts. Shovels are good because they save health and stress, and graves can gently caress a character up pretty good. Herbs will pretty much guarantee 6-12 food in most dungeons.

And don't feel lovely about backing out of a dungeon, and keep in mind that if the coach screws you, you can send a bunch of losers into any dungeon and then immediately give up and then fire them, and check the coach for new recruits. ;)

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
A few lots of thoughts on what I want to see in the game on release.

1)
An FTL style return to saved party position after battle. I like my jester, but having to manually shuffle everyone each time he jumps forward is annoying.

2)
Like the graveyard, there should be a list of broken heroes you give a pat on the back and dismiss.

3)
The square grid layout needs to change. Longer, twisting corridors. Uneven room layouts. Some with dead ends, so you rarely have to backtrack and stress out.
Along with this, the entire layout of the dungeon should be hidden. It's too easy to find the boss, they are always the farthest away.
So when you get to a room, you see the possible directions you can go, but not if they lead to a room, or a longer corridor.
Scouting should be more important, and might justify a trinket spot. Otherwise I would never use a scouting trinket.
Scouting should never reveal two rooms away. If it did, perhaps it is an ability you choose to use, that has a chance to find the layout/a chance to cause an ambush.

4)
Bandages, anti-venom, and torches shouldn't be free actions in fights. They should take a turn to use. There are some balance issues with this, so perhaps bandages and cures could give a food-type hp boost to compensate.
Sun items are too powerful, and this would help counteract that in fights where enemies can darken the torch. Otherwise, there is no reason not to have everyone wear sun bracers etc. and buy extra torches and blaze the dungeon.
I'm not sure how moon items would work with this. Sun and moon items are just too good right now with no downsides. Perhaps some rooms are filled with fire and cause 30% light etc.

5)
Riposte is too drat good. It shouldn't have a prot. buff, or it should only have one returned attack, or it shouldn't have an attack itself.
The plague doctor is still too weak. She should have an attack that builds off of plagued or bleeding enemies. Something that consumes or multiples damage by the number of dots.

6)
I don't like how quirks work right now. There are simply too many of them. I saw in the patch notes they are changing them in the next patch, so this might be an unnecessary change:
Quirks should only happen on level ups and dungeons, you get a positive and negative, and you can't remove them. This would max out the list at level 6, and would help differentiate heroes. My high level heroes have zero negative quirks just because it's too easy to remove them.
The only other way to get/remove quirks is through the dungeons.
The sanitarium should just be for diseases.
Rabies should be -20 accuracy.

7)
During retreats heroes should have a chance to be left behind or cause a high amount of stress. If you go back to that area, the monsters are ready for you.

The hardest part of the game is the beginning when you don't understand positioning and the uses of all the abilities. I hated the grave robber at first, I just didn't have pick to the face. Once you put each character in a spot that can use all four abilities effectively, the game is much easier. After all of that, I want to say this is the best early access game I have ever played. It rules. Basically what I want is more. More types of hazards, more interactions.

The best part is, you are the villain. You send these poor fools to their doom under the false pretense of righting the wrongs of your ancestors. But you are doing the exact same things he did.

edit: I forgot one other thing.
The way weapon and armor upgrading works is strange.
At level 0, you have level one equipment.
At level 1, you can upgrade to level one AND two.
At level four, you can have level five equipment.
So at level five and six resolve, there are no more upgrades. This actually makes champion level dungeons a little harder, because you can't upgrade past your expected level.
They should cap your resolve level to the max equipment and skill level. Or rename the base level to level 0 to make it easier to see at a glance if you need to upgrade your dudes.

captain innocuous fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 20, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

I take it Riptose is just attached to the one skill? Self-marking doesn't seem to increase how much enemies want to him him, though.

It depends on the enemy. Some enemies target marks very aggressively (typically ones that appear in groups that use marks, like the spiders.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Forcing item usage to burn a turn would be awful, when so many fights are won or lost on one or two failed or successful actions. Earlier today I had my occultist get Paranoid and then randomly ignore my turn, the one turn I needed to heal a guy who was bleeding+blighted and who then died to double save throws while at 0 health, since I couldn't boost his health.. :(

You can also accidentally use multiple items if you aren't careful, I've slipped and hit T a couple times in a fight and ruined 2 or 3 torches as well.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

1 and 2: Agreed unconditionally.

3: From 1:10 to 1:14 in the old trailer shows a map similar to what you'd like to see. It's probably not a design priority but it may happen.
But you think informed player choice should be replaced by blind guessing, meaning it's not really a choice? Scouting is really loving good both as a way to keep your party safe, and it's good as a way to allow meaningful decisions. I don't think the game should take a step closer to true randomness because players are able to exploit the patterns. Exploiting patterns is pretty much the platonic ideal of player behavior when patterns are implemented. Charting a route to the interesting rooms while avoiding all the empty filler corridors, blocked passageways that lead to empty rooms, and non-threatening corridor fights does my entertainment per hour a huge favor.

4: Ahahahaha. The only thing that makes curing blights and bleeds even mildly attractive is that it doesn't cost an action. Even then, 80% of the time I'd rather take the damage and use the item on a curio. The only HP that matters is the last one, and you get them all back when you clear the dungeon.

5: Class balance is not great right now. I figure the devs will iterate a few more times.

7: I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I think the last thing the game needs is ways to make your party lose harder, or ways for the game to snowball into a loss from a single bad RNG result (getting ambushed). Still, I acknowledge that soft defeats lack teeth for some players.

Overall it seems like you got good at the game and now you want it to be as hard as when you were first learning the game. Literally no one has a good way to design that. If you make the game harder so experienced players can still be challenged you alienate new players. New players are, objectively speaking, the most important demographic to a profitable company selling a product that everyone only needs to buy once. That's not to say that being a profitable company is the most important metric. But I'd really like to see the devs take a crack at another round of professional quality content before they difficulty tweak their current content to provide 100s of extra hours of play for those of us who have already figured it out. And let's be honest here, the decisions the player makes in Darkest Dungeon aren't rocket science, so the difficulty is mostly reliant on how cruelly the RNG is calibrated.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bandages and antivenom are already very, very expensive in terms of money and inventory space. If they also consumed actions they'd be pretty awful, although I guess I usually wind up forgetting about them in battle anyhow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just started playing again.

bow lady and Man at Arms are really good, with Man At Arms seeming to be really, really ridiculously loving good when tanked up with good trinkets.

Was underwhelmed with the cannon boss. Welp that's my story thanks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Glad they fixed the Group AoE Crit giving everybody like 50 stress. I was really hating the bandit riflemen.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

coyo7e posted:

Also learn to minimize the supplies you bring.. For instance in most 90% explore short apprentice missions, I bring 8 food, 6-7 torches, 2 bandages, 1 herb, 1 antidote, 2 keys, and 2-3 shovels.

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means. For your given example you are bringing way more crap than I ever would. 8 food, 8 torches (cause if you're going to bring 1, may as well make it a stack), and 2 shovels. And until I'm rolling in money, bring one, maybe two curio interaction items. Your example is bringing about 1,000 more gold than I would even consider. Plus all the extra crap you're taking is eating up inventory space which may or may not become a factor depending on how much loot you get, but for me inventory space is always full by the time I am leaving a dungeon.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 21, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Jade Star posted:

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means. For your given example you are bringing way more crap than I ever would. 8 food, 8 torches (cause if you're going to bring 1, may as well make it a stack), and 2 shovels. And until I'm rolling in money, bring one, maybe two curio interaction items. Your example is bringing about 1,000 more gold than I would even consider. Plus all the extra crap you're taking is eating up inventory space which may or may not become a factor depending on how much loot you get, but for me inventory space is always full by the time I am leaving a dungeon.

For a Medium mission you're going to hit probably five or so curio items at least. Unless you have terrible luck with rolls, that's probably significantly more than 1k worth of gems/money. Plus you get more heirlooms, AND you cancel out the bad effects of those curios.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Locke Dunnegan posted:

For a Medium mission you're going to hit probably five or so curio items at least. Unless you have terrible luck with rolls, that's probably significantly more than 1k worth of gems/money. Plus you get more heirlooms, AND you cancel out the bad effects of those curios.

None of this impacts my statement. I get enough treasure and heirlooms to fill my inventory without spending that additional 1,000 gold on items. Items that have good odds on going unused, or thrown out to make room for all the treasure I get with outthem.

I bring 2, maaaybe 3 curio interaction objects and that is plenty. The point I was making was toward a post that suggested bringing 6-7 curio items. 6-7 items is twice of what i routinely bring, and that post was saying to minimize the supplies brought. That definitely doesn't seem to be minimal at all to me, it seems excessive.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
When you guys say curio interaction objects, you're talking about items that only interact with curios, like keys and holy water, right? If not, then I can't imagine going on a medium mission and only bringing a bandage and some anti-venom.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Man-at-Arms should be renamed to Superman-at-Arms; he's just that ridiculous. Give him two Tough Rings and he's an unbreakable killing machine. I'm not sure Bolster is intended to be a party-wide buff.

How should I prepare my parties for running expeditions in total darkness? Do I swap trinkets for stress resist or virtue chance?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jade Star posted:

I always push as far as I can and burn everything I can, and in a lot of short mission I will hit 2 or sometimes 3 locked items. When I bring 2 shovels, I end up running into a grave or vine wall three times. Holy water is a weird all or none thing so I bring either zero or two, but rarely regret bringing 2. I generally leave short runs with 5-9k in loot, which compensates the enormous expenditure of like 2.4k or so gold.

Especially without a healer I will bring herbs and antis because the extra food is free heals for a group that otherwise may not have any.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I still hate the stupid Leper. Even with sun trinkets.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

coyo7e posted:

I always push as far as I can and burn everything I can, and in a lot of short mission I will hit 2 or sometimes 3 locked items. When I bring 2 shovels, I end up running into a grave or vine wall three times. Holy water is a weird all or none thing so I bring either zero or two, but rarely regret bringing 2. I generally leave short runs with 5-9k in loot, which compensates the enormous expenditure of like 2.4k or so gold.

Especially without a healer I will bring herbs and antis because the extra food is free heals for a group that otherwise may not have any.

I don't even know how you're reliably getting so many curios on short missions; I've frequently had short missions where I encounter only two or three curios total.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Neruz posted:

I don't even know how you're reliably getting so many curios on short missions; I've frequently had short missions where I encounter only two or three curios total.

That seems incredibly low to be the majority, however. The smallest possible dungeon is 7 rooms and 6 corridors in some fashion of a line. There's usually at least 1 thing in a corridor, often two. If only half of them are curios you have your 3 already, and then there's the chance for room curios after the monster fights.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah it's not often, I usually average around 5-6 curios for a short dungeon which still isn't enough to justify that kind of expense.

I'm not saying you won't get short dungeons where you find that many things; I've had a couple, but it certainly feels like the overwhelming majority of the time Short dungeons cannot reliably be expected to contain more than 5 or 6 curios, of which maybe two or three will need an item. I almost never bother to take more than 1 or 2 curio items (ex; Holy Water for Ruins) on short runs and I very rarely regret not taking more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Even in the dark I find I usually have plenty of space for extra loot on a short run, considering I plan on jettisoning my food/torch/shovel supply. What constitutes a "full" slot also varies quite a bit--getting to 12 slots worth of treasure items doesn't mean that additional treasure is worthless, because it lets you prioritize and cycle out low value treasures for higher value ones. A stack of gems worth 250-500 can often easily be replaced by a higher value gem or a gold stack that runs up to 1500.

For a short run I usually take about 4-5 curio items, 6-7 for a medium run, and maybe 2 for a long run because basic supplies take up so many slots already and there's so much loot it's ridiculous anyhow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I just started playing again.

bow lady and Man at Arms are really good, with Man At Arms seeming to be really, really ridiculously loving good when tanked up with good trinkets.

Was underwhelmed with the cannon boss. Welp that's my story thanks.

Brigand 8 Pounder is nothing, but I think Brigand 24 Pounder is the hardest boss in the game.

Sonorous Prophet is a complete joke too.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Gabriel Pope posted:

Even in the dark I find I usually have plenty of space for extra loot on a short run,

What are you doing then? After 3-4 fights and poking objects in the dark I am out in inventory space.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Jade Star posted:

What are you doing then? After 3-4 fights and poking objects in the dark I am out in inventory space.

Quite possibly he takes fewer heirlooms. You don't need even half the busts you'll get from the ruins if you're okay with leaving bad quirks on your heroes. And he's already mentioned that he doesn't consider a slot with a couple 250 value gems full in the same way a slot with gold is.

In my own experiences, if you leave some of the curios unlooted you can swing back for them after winning and dump your last torches, food, and whatever item you opened the object with.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there any way to edit the files to make a character? I entered a room and quit to desktop, reloaded, and Dismas was just gone for no apparent reason.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jade Star posted:

The discussion was about running with few/no curio items. If you're not poking things with the right item/not poking things at all it takes much longer to fill up your inventory. With several curio items, yes, you can pretty much guarantee that you can come out of a short run with an inventory that's full, and generally full of good stuff too.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like the Leper a fair bit. He's not AAA+ like the Man-at-Arms, but I usually pair him with a Jester and an Arbalest, meaning that he often double-crits the enemy first row with Hew and debuffs their accuracy significantly along with the Arb for longer fights.

My level 5 battle with the Swine king was a breeze due to that (and my lvl3 fight with him was a nightmare because the MaA counter-critted the small pig and mae the big pig go berserk and almot nuke the party).

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Phrasing posted:

I still hate the stupid Leper. Even with sun trinkets.

:nyd:

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
So has anyone experienced constant crashing when scrolling through your irinket inventory as of the latest update? I thought it might have something to do with the rosters size increasing mod that I was using but after uninstalling that and having the crashes persist I have no idea what's causing this.

It's really frustrating to have to equip all my adventures before going to the mission select screen. :(

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Speaking of trinkets, this might be a dumb question, but how do you equip people with them?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Justin_Brett posted:

Speaking of trinkets, this might be a dumb question, but how do you equip people with them?

Open up the trinkets tab, then open up the character tab, then drag over trinkets you think you want on them to 1 of 2 slots the character has, you should see two rectangular slots for this on the left side of the screen. You can also equip found trinkets to a character in the middle of a dungeon.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rayjenkins posted:

Open up the trinkets tab, then open up the character tab, then drag over trinkets you think you want on them to 1 of 2 slots the character has, you should see two rectangular slots for this on the left side of the screen. You can also equip found trinkets to a character in the middle of a dungeon.

Ah thank you, didn't think those menus would stay open at the same time.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Justin_Brett posted:

Ah thank you, didn't think those menus would stay open at the same time.

Haha cool beans glad you got what I meant. There's a lot of windows in this game, so I actually made a quick photoshop edit to show what I meant, may as well link it for anyone else who possibly gets lost. :ohdear:

Also yeah Buci is my beautiful untouched waifu that escapes all negative things, I don't know how.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 22, 2015

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Quote is not edit.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Rayjenkins posted:

Haha cool beans glad you got what I meant. There's a lot of windows in this game, so I actually made a quick photoshop edit to show what I meant, may as well link it for anyone else who possibly gets lost. :ohdear:

Also yeah Buci is my beautiful untouched waifu that escapes all negative things, I don't know how.

I think buci means butt.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Phrasing posted:

I think buci means butt.

I hope so. She's a perfect beef-tank true doom murder head though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
No rabies? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Do you guys open all the curios, even when you don't have the items for interacting with them? That's the only way the amount of loot you're talking about seems possible. For me all my characters just go crazy from bad interactions, so I pretty much never touch anything in most dungeons except for the one or two items I'll bring for level specific stuff.