Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Smoothrich posted:

Most just shitpost in hateful echo chambers about it, honestly probably for "fun" much like people do here about conservatives.

If a D&D poster from here went out and started massacring Tea Party activists somewhere, would you feel responsible?

Given that the tenor of the D&D "echochamber" is very clearly "just because these people don't agree with us doesn't mean they're deserving of death" and the tone of Stormfront/etc. is literally "Black People are Raping and Stealing our wives/jobs/children/religion/etc. and we must prepare for RAHOWA", I'd say that your comparison is fundamentally flawed and made in poor faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Smoothrich posted:

He should've been "labeled mentally ill" BEFORE he got a gun, or worked himself up into enough of a paranoid delusional frenzy to actually go out and killing people. Therapy and medication probably would've helped him realize "wait.. maybe massacring people in a church.. is wrong?"

see, this is why the mental illness talk is a red herring. you're internet diagnosing him based on no evidence because you find it more politically correct to assume he had a mental breakdown rather than he was a radicalized young martyr wannabe who just took the final step in a very common bit of white supremacy rhetoric

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Classtoise posted:

I would hope you'd be able to tell the difference between a hate group and disagreeing with a political movement.

Wales Grey posted:

Given that the tenor of the D&D "echochamber" is very clearly "just because these people don't agree with us doesn't mean they're deserving of death" and the tone of Stormfront/etc. is literally "Black People are Raping and Stealing our wives/jobs/children/religion/etc. and we must prepare for RAHOWA", I'd say that your comparison is fundamentally flawed and made in poor faith.

friendly reminder that smoothrich is a blithering retard who thinks that corruption in the roman empire's last days is linked to the mafia and corruption in new jersey today because ITALIANS

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Smoothrich posted:

If they were all actively lynching black people or terrorizing voting locations like the KKK did as a fully fledged insurgency against the federal government and black people back in the day, that would be bad.

Most just shitpost in hateful echo chambers about it, honestly probably for "fun" much like people do here about conservatives.

If a D&D poster from here went out and started massacring Tea Party activists somewhere, would you feel responsible?

You can gently caress right off if you think the discussion here is at all comparable to something like Freep or Stormfront. I'd feel perfectly fine because discussing racist genocide isn't kosher here and would get you banned.

And good to know where your line for "bad" is. That's very informative.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 20, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The point is there's people out there who want to talk about mental illness because they want to imagine he was walkong down the street, flipped a switch and killed 9 people in some "episode",

That's exactly what he did lol. He had a psychotic breakdown. His friend even said a few weeks prior the shooter was getting drunk and brandishing a gun threatening to kill people all crazy. Drugs and alcohol exacerbate mental disorders and cause people to do even worse poo poo.

If this kid was sober, in therapy, and properly medicated, he wouldn't of done any of this. Maybe he wouldn't of even hated or blamed black people as much anymore!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Smoothrich posted:

That's exactly what he did lol. He had a psychotic breakdown. His friend even said a few weeks prior the shooter was getting drunk and brandishing a gun threatening to kill people all crazy. Drugs and alcohol exacerbate mental disorders and cause people to do even worse poo poo.

If this kid was sober, in therapy, and properly medicated, he wouldn't of done any of this. Maybe he wouldn't of even hated or blamed black people as much anymore!

haha you'd rather play internet doctor than admit that white supremacist rhetoric encourages violence

hits a little close to home? why aren't you willing to criticise racism, smoothrich?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
Why would he go to therapy? Hes just drinkin some beers, ranting about race war... cmon we all do it. Normal stuff.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

haha you'd rather play internet doctor than admit that white supremacist rhetoric encourages violence

hits a little close to home? why aren't you willing to criticise racism, smoothrich?

So the dude was on SSRIs for fun?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Smoothrich posted:

Have you read his manifesto at all dude?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

see, this is why the mental illness talk is a red herring. you're internet diagnosing him based on no evidence because you find it more politically correct to assume he had a mental breakdown rather than he was a radicalized young martyr wannabe who just took the final step in a very common bit of white supremacy rhetoric

Desperate, angry people who join ISIS or do lonewolf terrorist attacks probably wouldn't, if they were in therapy, took meds if they needed it, and had support networks of people showing them a better way to live. Why mosques, churches, community organizers, etc. are so valuable. They are the ones that stop troubled kids from becoming radicalized martyring wackjobs.

Doing violent, criminal poo poo, harming yourself or others, drug addiction, racism, prejudice, dropping out of school, whatever, is all related to mental health. Most violent criminals for example have antisocial personality disorders, which can be genetic, environmental (like abuse), but usually both somehow. Most suicides are depressed. Many mass shooters are paranoid delusional. It goes on and on.

"Mental illness talk is a red herring." THAT is what is wrong with society, not loving Breitbart lmao.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You have a very convenient definition of a mental breakdown.

I guess it was just a massive coincidence he was hours from his home, managed to operate a vehicle the whole day, ended up at one of the most historic black churches in tgr nation made it through and hour of bible study while having a murderous psychotic episode and also managed to hold multiple conversations while murdering 9 people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lady Naga posted:

people who are radicalized often have some lovely problem in their lives that they try to deal with, which often involves therapy and medication. thinking that mental illness is a cause or caused by this kind of radicalization is a basic causation/correlation error

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Please do not waste time replying to Smoothrich.

RareAcumen posted:

RareAcumen posted:

RareAcumen posted:

RareAcumen posted:

RareAcumen posted:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lady Naga posted:

I'm on SSRIs for depression. I'll let you know when I go on a rampage.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Smoothrich posted:

Desperate, angry people who join ISIS or do lonewolf terrorist attacks probably wouldn't, if they were in therapy, took meds if they needed it, and had support networks of people showing them a better way to live. Why mosques, churches, community organizers, etc. are so valuable. They are the ones that stop troubled kids from becoming radicalized martyring wackjobs.

Doing violent, criminal poo poo, harming yourself or others, drug addiction, racism, prejudice, dropping out of school, whatever, is all related to mental health. Most violent criminals for example have antisocial personality disorders, which can be genetic, environmental (like abuse), but usually both somehow. Most suicides are depressed. Many mass shooters are paranoid delusional. It goes on and on.

"Mental illness talk is a red herring." THAT is what is wrong with society, not loving Breitbart lmao.

actually people who refuse to accept that violent rhetoric leads toward violence is a bigger problem than fear of psychiatrists or whatever convenient nonsense you'd rather believe

maybe his thetan levels were too high? how many other exuses would you rather make in defense of the racist murderer?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
#notalldepressives

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And you throw around an awful lot of lol's for someone who's arguing anyone on an anti depressant should be treated as a mental case if they decide they want to plan and execute murder spree, months in advance.

Anyways Im done with smoothrich now that I know what Im dealing with. Good luck with all that, I hope you put some more thought into the matter sometime soon.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 20, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

No, the government misdiagnosed him so they could give him CIA-concocted mind control drugs from MK-ULTRA VII to force him to attack a "historical" church full of colored folks with a handgun so OBUNGA (that drat commie muslim kenyan usurper) could pass a new tyrannical gun control law that would keep me from purchasing .45 ACP, which the local Grand Dragon assures me is "God's Perfect Ammo" for fighting Muslim infiltrators, so his demonic thin men "Special Forces" operatives can dig tunnels beneath Walmart to unleash their draconian overlords and usher in 1000 years of darkness as promised in the book of Revelations!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Gravel Gravy posted:

#notalldepressives

My biggest fear of actually medicating my depression is I will have the will and energy to go on a murderous rampage.

Really, I'm just protecting everyone around me :smug:

:smith:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Smoothrich posted:

If they were all actively lynching black people or terrorizing voting locations like the KKK did as a fully fledged insurgency against the federal government and black people back in the day, that would be bad.

Man Smoothrich, it's great to see that you demand respect for white supremacists in multiple threads instead of just Cinema Discusso.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Smoothrich posted:

Except even sober and medicated (or have no need for medication) people can still lose their tempers.

Especially if said person was raised thinking that there is an entire group of people who are not only subhuman, but they are ruining the country and simply allowing them to live is draining this country of some majesty or worth.

This doesn't make his actions OKAY, granted. Holy poo poo, no. People raised in a less hateful social circle or group probably lose their temper and tell someone to get hosed, or something of the sort, and then immediately go read a book or listen to music or go for a walk to calm down.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Have you read his manifesto at all dude?

Yeah. He believes in a Zionist conspiracy and racial subjugation. He's loving crazy. Its basically Mein Kampf poo poo. He's a deranged extreme right-wing lunatic drug addict with a handgun. He probably should've been in a god drat mental institution like many paranoid delusional people, not out getting drunk waving a gun around seething in rage and hatred. His own actions are extremely hypocritical.. he's saying YOU RAPE OUR WOMEN! as he's killing women and a pastor! Who was apparently an exemplary figure of the black community, the kind of guy that makes America better for everyone.

The guy is horrible and morally corrupted and basically evil, but if he was receiving mental health services like CBT + psychiatry, sobered up, and got off the internet, he'd probably snap out of thinking that he was so important to the world that he could start a race war all on his own.

What do people even want to accomplish by poo poo talking conservative media with this massacre. Its just more hate instead of healing or help. Though taking down the CSA flag is unquestionably the right thing to do.

I think people should get mental health screenings annually just like physical health screenings. That would save so many lives, from overdosing, suicide, or shooting sprees like this, I think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

My biggest fear of actually medicating my depression is I will have the will and energy to go on a murderous rampage.

Really, I'm just protecting everyone around me :smug:

:smith:

Hey you laugh but when I got on my meds suddenly I wasn't spending all day in bed mumbling about how nothing I do matters. It's really only logical that if I wanted to murder black people that'd just give me the drive to follow through. Have you read these pamphlets about herbal alternatives to psychological drugs?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Smoothrich posted:

Yeah. He believes in a Zionist conspiracy and racial subjugation. He's loving crazy. Its basically Mein Kampf poo poo. He's a deranged extreme right-wing lunatic drug addict with a handgun. He probably should've been in a god drat mental institution like many paranoid delusional people, not out getting drunk waving a gun around seething in rage and hatred. His own actions are extremely hypocritical.. he's saying YOU RAPE OUR WOMEN! as he's killing women and a pastor! Who was apparently an exemplary figure of the black community, the kind of guy that makes America better for everyone.

The guy is horrible and morally corrupted and basically evil, but if he was receiving mental health services like CBT + psychiatry, sobered up, and got off the internet, he'd probably snap out of thinking that he was so important to the world that he could start a race war all on his own.

What do people even want to accomplish by poo poo talking conservative media with this massacre. Its just more hate instead of healing or help. Though taking down the CSA flag is unquestionably the right thing to do.

I think people should get mental health screenings annually just like physical health screenings. That would save so many lives, from overdosing, suicide, or shooting sprees like this, I think.

so you also think that millions of white conservatives are also crazy and need mental health screening forced upon them by the government?

welcome, comrade :ussr:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Smoothrich posted:

environmental (like abuse),

This can include media and the internet too. It's a part of your surroundings and outside stimuli.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So how about Jeb and Romney-bot saying the flag should be taken down? This is a pretty major blow to Jeb's primary from my perspective.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
He didn't "have a breakdown", he's been planning it for 6 months and nobody reported any change in his behaviour.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mister Macys posted:

This can include media and the internet too. It's a part of your surroundings and outside stimuli.

Agreed. It's the phenomenon of self-radicalization that people do nowadays. However you can't really do anything about restricting stupid poo poo out on the internet. But you can put the effort into teaching people how to actually act in society properly and think more positively, and less homicidally.

The amount of poo poo on the internet is staggering honestly. I made this a couple months ago just poking around Reddit for example. Big websites and companies like Google profiting off ads and crap should all be held accountable, but that is a pipe dream.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Smoothrich posted:

The guy is horrible and morally corrupted and basically evil

Calling him evil makes it so convenient to avoid facing his actual motivations, doesn't it?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
For anyone not familiar with the U.S. legal system, the insanity defense requires an enormous burden of proof and requires the defense to show that the defendant was not aware that what they were doing was wrong. Winning on insanity doesn't let you walk, however, generally the defendant is locked up in a mental hospital for as long or longer than they'd be locked up in jail, but at least they might get some help. There's no need to worry about him "getting off" on an insanity plea because either way he's gonna get locked up. The only difference now is how many pills they'll be stuffing him with while he's there.

I agree arguing about the guy being insane is dumb RWM scrambling to cover their asses though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xibanya posted:

For anyone not familiar with the U.S. legal system, the insanity defense requires an enormous burden of proof and requires the defense to show that the defendant was not aware that what they were doing was wrong. Winning on insanity doesn't let you walk, however, generally the defendant is locked up in a mental hospital for as long or longer than they'd be locked up in jail, but at least they might get some help. There's no need to worry about him "getting off" on an insanity plea because either way he's gonna get locked up. The only difference now is how many pills they'll be stuffing him with while he's there.

I agree arguing about the guy being insane is dumb RWM scrambling to cover their asses though.

The other difference is you don't get the death penalty with an insanity conviction.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey you laugh but when I got on my meds suddenly I wasn't spending all day in bed mumbling about how nothing I do matters.

I've had the same response, taking antidepressants on the daily. I just had a meeting with my psychiatrist, but while I didn't have any homicidal urges to report, what happens if I suddenly get struck with the desire to go on a killing spree in the month before I next see them? :ohdear:

But seriously, acting like this was a singular "psychotic break" is ludicrous. By his own admission, he has contemplated this and planned it for months. He admitted to officers that he almost didn't go through with the act because the people at the church were so nice to him. He very clearly had the capability to think and reason about what he was doing. This wasn't a gibbering lunatic that slipped through the cracks. Roof was absolutely hosed in the head, but dismissing the case as "well, crazy is as crazy does!" is absurd, and the fact that it provides a convenient way for people to ignore the issue of where exactly the rhetoric he spouts comes from makes pushing this as a mental health case over all else absolutely shameful.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

beatlegs posted:

Calling him evil makes it so convenient to avoid facing his actual motivations, doesn't it?

He had the same worldview of Hitler, glorifying apartheid and racial subjugation. That is extremely fringe right wing fascist lunatic poo poo. It's incomparable to American conservatism, which is (supposed to be) about individual empowerment and small government. Republicans are not actually all neo-Nazis. Fox News and Talk Radio is not to blame. Racism was the motivating factor, but this guy was legitimately warped and delusional.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

No one's saying all Republicans are neo-Nazis. No one's saying FOX News is to blame. You conservatives have really been super defensive over this, tossing around strawmen like crazy. Kinda seems like this one's gotten under your skin a bit.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Cythereal posted:

that MRA guy from a few months ago was in more or less the same situation, just blaming women instead of black people.

Eh ... I'd say those things were very different. The biggest difference being that the MRA dude was entirely acting for himself while penishead (PH) was immersing himself in a group identity and acting selflessly for a larger cause.

For example, MRA dude's manifesto makes his hatred of women crystal clear, but he actually shows no allegiance to other men. His full plan appeared to be to shoot up the sorority and then take the hottest blonde back to his apartment to rape and step one was silently killing his male roommates with a knife so that they wouldn't report him. He took pains to hide each killing from the next victim and cleaned up after each one to catch the next man unaware.

He stabbed one of them 94 times ( http://kron4.com/2015/02/20/elliot-rodgers-rehearsed-killing-roommates-before-ucsb-rampage/ ).

PH would never slaughter fellow whites who stood between him and the black church. He was doing this, after all, to help white people. And PH does not have the visceral need to subjugate/dominate black people that the MRA had to reduce a human being to an animal with breasts groveling at his feet. Faced with the reality of what he was doing PH felt bad but steeled himself against those emotions by reminding himself that this had to be done to secure a future for white children, blah blah blah ... MRA dude had no need to squelch guilt or pity because these emotions were not part of his psychology.

Additionally, The MRA guy was a college student from an upper middle class background and a solid future ahead of him. The MRA guys central theme was "I'm loaded and successful, why aren't the women I want falling over themselves to suck my dick and ride around in my car??!!!???!??". His premise was that he was being denied something he had earned fair and square - ie sex with a hot blonde whenever he wanted it - and was going to shoot up the sorority/take a captive and get what was "his" personally.

Penishead, by contrast, is an utter failure at life in general showing little in the way of academic ability or work ethic. Even his shooting was half assed showing none of the planning, logistics, or research that MRA dude did. His writing is laced with a twisted humility in which he acknowledges that he is a failure and is seeking to give his death meaning that his life never had by starting RAHOWA.

These are two very different phenomena.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

No one's saying all Republicans are neo-Nazis. No one's saying FOX News is to blame. You conservatives have really been super defensive over this, tossing around strawmen like crazy. Kinda seems like this one's gotten under your skin a bit.

it's because they're trying desperately to figure out a way how a guy who is ideologically aligned with many conservative arguments isn't somehow representative of conservative arguments

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Republicans are not neo-nazis, they just think Hitler had the right ideas but applied them to the wrong groups, it's completely different! :buddy:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Natural News considered RWM because they're taking up the "he was mentally ill and the drugs made him do it" torch that Fox and others are peddling.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm on SSRIs for depression. I'll let you know when I go on a rampage.

You should buy a gun to protect yourself :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

beatlegs posted:

I won't say all Republicans are Neo-Nazis but I have absolutely no problem saying that Right-Wing Media almost certainly influenced this kid and so share some small portion of the blame. So there's at least one person saying that.