Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cerulean can't melt Ishgardian steel beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Since most of your XP comes fro,m quests and not mob kills, am I correct in thinking it's fine to have my Chocobo out for leveling my first class through HW?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Anyone have any opinions on Wanderer's Minuet yet? I was skeptical about if before release and so far I dislike it even more than I thought I would. It's introduced latency issues to a class that I've never had the slightest problem with in the entire time I've been playing. I'm getting skills cancelled while casting even though I haven't moved because it presumably registered the movement I took before casting later than it should have. Straight Shot procs are hosed in WM too; True Shot taking up half the GCD timer is leading to situations where the I get a proc, use Straight Shot and it starts casting, only to ignore the proc until I cancel the cast or it finishes casting and try again. It just feels so sloppy right now. I guess it's probably less of an issue for NA players but it's really annoying for me here in poor old EU. I'm only level 53 atm so I can get by just fine without using it ever really but once I get the WM only skills later I feel like it's gonna suck to play at endgame.

Oh and also Barrage seems straight up lovely now, contrary to previous speculation 3x Sidewinder isn't a thing. Sidewinder is an ability, not a weaponskill so it doesn't work. I can't imagine a situation where Barrage is even close to being equal to old Barrage.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Since most of your XP comes fro,m quests and not mob kills, am I correct in thinking it's fine to have my Chocobo out for leveling my first class through HW?

I do. Mine is rank 17 so the xp from kills is pretty pathetic but for challenge log and utility, it's nice. It's always been better to have it out anyway since it actually does enough DPS and utility that you can kill stuff faster to more than make up for it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Boten Anna posted:

Cerulean can't melt Ishgardian steel beams.

Raubahn lied, 6,000 Lominsans died

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Bland posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Wanderer's Minuet yet? I was skeptical about if before release and so far I dislike it even more than I thought I would. It's introduced latency issues to a class that I've never had the slightest problem with in the entire time I've been playing. I'm getting skills cancelled while casting even though I haven't moved because it presumably registered the movement I took before casting later than it should have. Straight Shot procs are hosed in WM too; True Shot taking up half the GCD timer is leading to situations where the I get a proc, use Straight Shot and it starts casting, only to ignore the proc until I cancel the cast or it finishes casting and try again. It just feels so sloppy right now. I guess it's probably less of an issue for NA players but it's really annoying for me here in poor old EU. I'm only level 53 atm so I can get by just fine without using it ever really but once I get the WM only skills later I feel like it's gonna suck to play at endgame.

Oh and also Barrage seems straight up lovely now, contrary to previous speculation 3x Sidewinder isn't a thing. Sidewinder is an ability, not a weaponskill so it doesn't work. I can't imagine a situation where Barrage is even close to being equal to old Barrage.

Minuet sucks and is single handedly turning me off a class I have used to clear every coil and most of savage. The idea of the class (mobile, off gcd heavy) just doesn't line up with having cast times.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

bonewitch posted:

Minuet sucks and is single handedly turning me off a class I have used to clear every coil and most of savage. The idea of the class (mobile, off gcd heavy) just doesn't line up with having cast times.

The worst part is there's no similar class to jump ship to because Machinist has the same poo poo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They told you electronic cigarettes are bad for your health!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

People who have done DRK quest what armor does Fury have and can I have it?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Jesus Christ but Ravana's theme is epic as gently caress. That is a hell of a fight.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I managed to log on earlier today, but I tried getting in now and my client says that it has a problem connecting to the server. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

People who have done DRK quest what armor does Fury have and can I have it?

There's one on the MB already, it's green i160 gear.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RuanGacho posted:

Where is the Workshop?

I'm glad to see that the first thing PBC also did with the new portrait of Cid was stick it above the Private Room doorway :v:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 20, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Astrologian being fun as gently caress is contrasted by the job quests for Astrologian being the most lovely, lame-rear end job quests in the game.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Considering coming back..possibly..but holy moly. There was a lot of game info to take in from ARR just after taking a break between a few patches..this new expansion is adding/changing so much poo poo I have no idea how I'll ever learn it all. I love the fact that this game is adding so many new things, but what do I do if I don't have time to spend hours and hours learning everything. Someone please help I'm not used to being a responsible adult and playing video games :(

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Obscurity posted:

Considering coming back..possibly..but holy moly. There was a lot of game info to take in from ARR just after taking a break between a few patches..this new expansion is adding/changing so much poo poo I have no idea how I'll ever learn it all. I love the fact that this game is adding so many new things, but what do I do if I don't have time to spend hours and hours learning everything. Someone please help I'm not used to being a responsible adult and playing video games :(

If you've been through the original 2.0 you should know perfectly well this MMO is tailored towards you. You'll be told of a new mechanic and then you'll be led to explore that mechanic in your MSQ progression. Your favorite class will get new skills and you'll have a dungeon or two of content to use them in, getting comfortable with them right before you get more skills, and more dungeons to familiarize yourself with them.

Deep breaths. Relax. Start playing, and pay attention, and you'll be caught up in no time.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

SirPhoebos posted:

I managed to log on earlier today, but I tried getting in now and my client says that it has a problem connecting to the server. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Same here; I had to restart because my controller started acting wonky (thanks DS4Windows) and now I keep getting lobby server errors :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Obscurity posted:

You have to play every single patch before heavensward before you cant do anything new.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

You have to play every single patch before heavensward before you cant do anything new.

That doesnt seem like a bad thing as long as they put in catch up mechanics of some kind so that new/returning people dont struggle to close the gap.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
So how are you meant to level alt classes past 50 without quests, do we just FATE train around? I'm thinking about it and while 1-50 is meh levels of fun, its doable easily, 51-60 doesn't sound fun in the least, even with all the dailies done.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

squonk

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mo0 posted:

Raubahn lied, 6,000 Lominsans died

Holy See did 11/11

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Minor gripe: Did making an inventory change (say, selling an item) always close context menus? Because it's making selling items in bulk really annoying, and mass equipping gear to update a gear set for another class is occasionally annoying too if you're fast about it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i can't believe they killed off af gear like that in heavensward.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Reoxygenation posted:

So how are you meant to level alt classes past 50 without quests, do we just FATE train around? I'm thinking about it and while 1-50 is meh levels of fun, its doable easily, 51-60 doesn't sound fun in the least, even with all the dailies done.

Hunt Dailies will be ~100k exp a day, more if armory bonus applies.
Leves will still exist as ever. I haven't tried the new Super Leves that take 10 things, maybe they're good?
LLDR and HLDR will both be available. HLDR doesn't give mob exp but does give 10% of a level without armory bonus for completing it. HLDR even has the benefit of group queueing available! LLDR will ~probably~ give both mob exp and the 10% completion bonus as well, but I haven't actually tried it.
Dungeons themselves give a lot of exp, as ever. Dusk Vigil was around 250k when I did it with rested exp.

Beastmen dailies will also be available in the future.

It remains to be seen how good leveling will be, but at least flying mounts will cut down a lot of tedium of FATE groups: Moving from FATE to FATE.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Periodiko posted:

Is it me or is the voice-acting in Heavensward like a million times better. Characters actually emote and speak naturalistically, and I think they recast a huge chunk of the cast?

I think I'm about halfway through the story and so far literally every returning character has had a different VA. All of them are a huge improvement, with Raubahn's being the biggest.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

If they can keep the VAs consistent going forward, I'm all for the change. I have a feeling the original cast was done on a budget, and with the success of ARR they probably went with a higher quality (and thus more expensive) cast for HW.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Furnaceface posted:

That doesnt seem like a bad thing as long as they put in catch up mechanics of some kind so that new/returning people dont struggle to close the gap.

yeah they did. they doubled the main story exp and it will feed you a full set of i110 gear by the end so you don't have to struggle to grind gear or anything.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

If they can keep the VAs consistent going forward, I'm all for the change. I have a feeling the original cast was done on a budget, and with the success of ARR they probably went with a higher quality (and thus more expensive) cast for HW.

Some of them are actually the same people, just maybe better directed.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I reached lv 20 in the trial. A question about upgrading to the full game and recruit a friend. It doesn't specify on the page if you need a new account to use a code or if you could use the code while upgrading. It just says "When your friend receives your message with the enclosed recruitment code, have them create a Square Enix account if they have yet to do so, then register the recruitment code via the Mog Station." Another thing is the code like a one time use? Say if I don't commit after the free 30 days do the person get screwed out of a friend code.

I'll probably be poking around on other classes to see what its like for a bit.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Second Primal Fight Spoilers Ahoy:

Boss will fly around your arena and occasionally pelt you with poo poo, make sure you stay away from the edges; adds will spawn and need to be tanked; once dragonkillers are active make sure you use them, then hop to the boss and break his carapace; two rounds of this should suffice.

Afterwards, he will spawn two dragon adds, these need to be tanked away from each other; kill blue first, he does some sort of ramping damage thing that sucks. After that the second phase will begin, and it's exactly like the first except there are three adds to deal with. One tank will need to take two of them. Once dragonkillers activate, use them and hop over to hit his weak point for massive damage; you should only need one round of this but two is fine too.

Healers; tank damage is actually moderately high this round, so keep an eye on your tanks. I died twice with cooldowns running because my pubby healers weren't watching me

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Velveteen posted:

I reached lv 20 in the trial. A question about upgrading to the full game and recruit a friend. It doesn't specify on the page if you need a new account to use a code or if you could use the code while upgrading. It just says "When your friend receives your message with the enclosed recruitment code, have them create a Square Enix account if they have yet to do so, then register the recruitment code via the Mog Station." Another thing is the code like a one time use? Say if I don't commit after the free 30 days do the person get screwed out of a friend code.

I'll probably be poking around on other classes to see what its like for a bit.

You need to use it before you commit cash. They're not one time, you can generate one every 3 hours.

Hit up the thread in PGS and grab one. Some come with rewards for use attached.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Fellow ASTs: What do your hotbars look like?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

sunny, with a chance of incineration

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Incomprehensible nonsense is what my hotbars look like as AST. I haven't played it enough to realize anything more than which buttons make the heals.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

You all have fun with heavensward. I'll rejoin you when Time Warner stops making GBS threads all over my internet connection.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Amazon still hasn't sent me an early access code. I guess maybe preordering after the early access period began means I don't get one?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yo fellow Astrologians. If you're doing N.Than farming, make sure you cross class Blizzard 2 because you'll need AOE with the crazy zerg that's out here.

This is a nonsensical set-up to me. Also: no swiftcast - a shameful astrologian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Super leves are worth around 4x the EXP of a regular leve I believe. Might be a little different after all the various completion bonuse sare taken into account. So they're time efficient, but not very leve efficient. I did get a chest with 5x amber vilekin though, which can be traded for some accessories.

• Locked thread