Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Another reminder that the FBI can be astonishingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it wrong for me to keep treating the FBI as gestapo in my head? I have no idea why they haven't been reformed yet too appear less synonymous with Big Bro.

And the CIA aren't like this too (to it's citizens), right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grouchio posted:

The CIA are too incompetent to be the Gestapo. They're like Colonel Klink, but everytime they gently caress up they destabilize a country or region or something.

The FBI, at least, helps coordinate Federal/State police actions and poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grouchio posted:

Is it wrong for me to keep treating the FBI as gestapo in my head? I have no idea why they haven't been reformed yet too appear less synonymous with Big Bro.

You're thinking of the NSA, much more than the FBI or CIA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

None of those agencies are very competent when it comes to protecting our citizens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JT Jag posted:

It's only terrorism if your skin is darker than an Italian.

You've got it backwards; the skin color of the targets has to be lighter than a paper bag.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

None of those agencies are very competent when it comes to protecting our citizens.

That's a hard call to make, given that we necessarily almost never hear of would-have-been attacks that they actively stopped or simply prevented from their normal activities.

And there's pretty much nothing the CIA, FBI, NSA, or other alphabet soup agencies can do about things like Charleston or Bundy Ranch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

someone paid 49 dollars to do what the fbi could prob get done for free

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also they're apparently an lf goon

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

That's a hard call to make

No it isn't.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/1/13/review-finds-nsametadatacollectionhasntstoppedanattack.html

End the NSA.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Great work, HenryKrinkle and company. Makes me proud to be involved with this website.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

That's a hard call to make, given that we necessarily almost never hear of would-have-been attacks that they actively stopped or simply prevented from their normal activities.

They always hold a presser when they make arrests and foil an attack.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Predictably, roof's manifesto site is down. Anyone have a mirror or the foresight to copy his text? :downs:

edit: google is good at stuff http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=QkKjKxWm

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 20, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I'm hearing from the FBI statement is "not terrorism, so we don't have to count our failure to prevent it as a fuckup."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I'm hearing from the FBI statement is "not terrorism, so we don't have to count our failure to prevent it as a fuckup."

Preparing for an O'Malley Presidency.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not terrorism because he didn't have a muslimy name.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

mlmp08 posted:

Predictably, roof's manifesto site is down. Anyone have a mirror or the foresight to copy his text? :downs:

I have a copy of the text and images from this morning. I'm not home right now but I can put the manifesto up here in full later unless someone beats me to it.

Probably on a list now....

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

I have a copy of the text and images from this morning. I'm not home right now but I can put the manifesto up here in full later unless someone beats me to it.

Probably on a list now....

why would you be on a list? the FBI admitted this has nothing to do with terrorism

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
full text is on talkingpointsmemo

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

edit: google is good at stuff http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=QkKjKxWm

Mother Jones' article about it has the PDF and the text linked:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/06/alleged-charleston-shooter-dylann-roof-manifesto-racist

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2108059/lastrhodesian-manifesto.pdf

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2108059/lastrhodesian-manifesto.txt

Also, the Council of Conservative Citizens' website is either down or underground or something, anyone have info on that?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

forbidden lesbian posted:

also they're apparently an lf goon

At one time he posted in here a lot, but everyone was always bitching at him about dropping 20 page in depth reports and articles; so he stopped.
Which really sucked because I liked to read the stuff he posted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Quotin' my dad's response to this attack (he did not write the book he mentions):

"Seems like an occasion to plug my pet peeve, Louisiana's non-unanimous criminal jury law, which was first enacted in 1898 at the end of Reconstruction and the beginning of Jim Crow, "to assure the supremacy of the Anglo-Saxon race in Louisiana," that's a direct quote from the proceedings of the constitutional convention of that year when former Confederates recovered their voting rights and reasserted political hegemony. The definitive book on this came out last month from LSU Press."

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Crows-Last-Stand-Nonunanimous/dp/0807158992

Book synopsis:

quote:

The last remnant of the racist Redeemer agenda in the Louisiana's legal system, the nonunanimous jury-verdict law permits juries to convict criminal defendants with only ten out of twelve votes. A legal oddity among southern states, the ordinance has survived multiple challenges since its ratification in 1880. Despite the law's long history, few are aware of its existence, its original purpose, or its modern consequences. At a time when Louisiana's penal system has fallen under national scrutiny, Jim Crow's Last Stand presents a timely, penetrating, and concise look at the history of this law's origins and its troubling legacy.

The nonunanimous jury-verdict law originally allowed a guilty verdict with only nine juror votes, funneling many of those convicted into the state's burgeoning convict lease system. Yet the law remained on the books well after convict leasing ended. Historian Thomas Aiello describes the origins of the statute in Bourbon Louisiana--a period when white Democrats sought to redeem their state after Reconstruction--its survival through the civil rights era of the 1950s and 1960s, and the Supreme Court's decision in Johnson v. Louisiana (1972), which narrowly validated the state's criminal conviction policy.

Spanning over a hundred years of Louisiana law and history, Jim Crow's Last Stand investigates the ways in which legal policies and patterns of incarceration contribute to a new form of racial inequality.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
woops doublepost

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

The CIA literally anally raped people to the point of causing a prolapsed anus

Edit: Here Grouchio, these are the people that you admire and desire to work for (lol).

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
In that Charles "American Treasure" Pierce article linked earlier, he used the nickname "Squint and the Meat Puppet," with which I was unfamiliar. (Turns out it's Morning Joe and Mika.

Here are some more, for posterity:

Frankly Curious posted:

Big Chicken: Chris Chistie
Brogressive Man-Crush Senator Aqua Buddha: Rand Paul
C-Plus Augustus’ Excellent Mesopotamian Adventure: (Bush’s) Iraq War
Clinton Guy Shocked By Blowjobs: George Stephanopoulos
The Combover Trump: Rudy Giuliani
Douglas McArthur McCain: John McCain
Fred Hiatt’s Home Depot For Bad Ideas: The Washington Post
FREE MONEY (!): Medicaid Expansion
Fracksylvania: Pennsylvania
Girl With The Faraway Eyes: Michelle Bachmann
Goggle-Eyed Homunculus Hired by Koch Industries to Run Their Midwest Subsidiary Formerly Known as the State of Wisconsin: Scott Walker
Governor Goodhair: Rick Perry
Senator Huckleberry J Butchmeup: Lindsey Graham
Manson Family of American Geopolitics: Cheney family
Mausoleum of Unemployables: Breitbart.com
Mitchell Brothers: Charles and David Koch[1]
Mrs Greenspan: Andrea Mitchell
Nine Wise Souls: Supreme Court
Obvious Anagram: Reince Priebus
Our Lady Of The Magic Dolphins: Peggy Noonan
Padishah Emperor of All Crazy People: Louie Gohmert
Princess Dumbass of the Northwoods: Sarah Palin
Senator McDreamy: Scott Brown
Senator Professor Warren: Elizabeth Warren
Squint and the Meat Puppet: Morning Joe
Tailgunner Ted Cruz: Ted Cruz
Tiger Beat on the Potomac: Politico

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Mind posted:

In that Charles "American Treasure" Pierce article linked earlier, he used the nickname "Squint and the Meat Puppet," with which I was unfamiliar. (Turns out it's Morning Joe and Mika.

Here are some more, for posterity:

wtf is is this poo poo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jagchosis posted:

The CIA literally anally raped people to the point of causing a prolapsed anus

Edit: Here Grouchio, these are the people that you admire and desire to work for (lol).
John Woo doesn't run things anymore. Even then I wouldn't really care.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

John Yoo never "ran things," he wrote a legal memo justifying the use of torture and the CIA actually far exceeded what he believed was justifiable and lawful. Also you are a terrible, terrible, terrible person.

edit: And the orchestrator of the torture scheme was repeatedly promoted. And the CIA still defends its use of torture. This is not even touching on the multitude of other crimes and institutional failures of the CIA.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 20, 2015

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Even then I wouldn't really care.

jesus christ

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Huey, please, I'm just doing my job. It's a crappy job but someone has to kick people in the nuts, and sometimes you kick the wrong person in the nuts and that's tragic. But now we can both make sure it's the right pair of nuts that get kicked.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

McDowell posted:

Huey, please, I'm just doing my job. It's a crappy job but someone has to kick people in the nuts, and sometimes you kick the wrong person in the nuts and that's tragic. But now we can both make sure it's the right pair of nuts that get kicked.
:golfclap:

Flowers, do not kick that man in the nuts

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 20, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Grouchio posted:

I'm pretty sure part of the reason the CIA is so godawful is because it's run by sadistic psychopaths and semi-sentient manchildren like yourself

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I rescind my previous statement: I never did condone torture and I will not now.

Seriously. I would prefer the methods used by that Jack Cloonan guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGRQY67VOA

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 21, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Grouchio posted:

I want to say that being an incompetent, blind yes-man won't get you into the CIA but the torture document suggests otherwise.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm pretty sure part of the reason the CIA is so godawful is because it's run by sadistic psychopaths and semi-sentient manchildren like yourself

No its mainly due to the bureaucracy/compartmentalization of everything. One hand did t know what the other was doing and no one wants to send bad news up the chain of command. Then after the poo poo hits the fan and the public finds out everyone has no choice but to stick together and parrot the PR talking points.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The FBI is just normal government/bureaucratic agency levels of incompetent, the CIA is cartoon villain levels incompetent and evil

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ponzicar posted:

You've got your dark thoughts backwards. Waco and Ruby Ridge were motivations for right wing lunatics, including Timothy McVeigh.

And I don't think the country is backsliding, even though it can seem that way when such horrific events are fresh on everyone's minds. I think the racists know they're slowly losing, and they're getting desperate. And when they're desperate, their true feelings are a lot less hidden than they used to be.

The main reason it feels like it's backsliding is because advances in communications technology allow for even minor tragedies and every incidental murder to be broadcast to the world within minutes of their occurrence.

Gun violence has been in a steady decline for decades, but people are in an increasing panic over it. It can't be because it's increasing (statistically it's doing the exact opposite), but why? Because the spread of the internet allows for every single spree killing and heinous murder to be almost instantaneously spread to millions or billions of people worldwide before the bodies are cold, and for people all over the world to immediately come to blows over conflicting opinions.

The side effect is that by making every single bad thing in the world instantly on demand, it falsely creates the appearance that poo poo is getting worse. Chances are you see little to no crime or tragedy in your daily life if you're living in a first world country, but you hear about tons of murders and robberies and lynchings and violence....in other states. In the 1970s (when crime was on a downright meteoric rise), some teenager getting shot in the back of the head in Los Angeles would garner little to no attention in Poughkeepsie. Now, the guys in Poughkeepsie can Google every single murder that happened yesterday and have the biggest incidents (like gunfights at biker bars) splashed across their news and social media. You likely have friends in other states that you've never even met, who tell you all about local problems.

Actually getting a good handle on whether society is improving or deteriorating involves a little more critical thinking and comparisons.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

icantfindaname posted:

The FBI is just normal government/bureaucratic agency levels of incompetent, the CIA is cartoon villain levels incompetent and evil

The CIA will go to great lengths to avoid the next embarrassment. This quest is a self fulfilling prophecy that tends to end in embarrassment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The FBI often does good things, and spends time tracking down real criminals. They are law enforcement, and may not always be great, but are probably better than average American law enforcement by a good margin.

The CIA exists explicitly to break laws and undermine the rule of law, with the justification that, well, someone needs to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GlyphGryph posted:

The CIA exists explicitly to break laws and undermine the rule of law, with the justification that, well, someone needs to do it.

Also to bypass those commie surrender-monkeys at Foggy Bottom.

• Locked thread