Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

revmoo posted:

So I have my google account on my old phone and my google account on my new phone. I sync contacts on my old phone and then go sync contacts on my new phone. Not a single contact is synched. My wife recently tried the same thing and had the same result on her old/new phones.

What am I doing wrong?

Your old phone might be old enough/crappy enough to not sync your contacts to google by default. Back in the day they still saved them to device only. Post your phone models as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

DemonMage posted:

Your old phone might be old enough/crappy enough to not sync your contacts to google by default. Back in the day they still saved them to device only. Post your phone models as well.

S3 -> S6 Active

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revmoo posted:

S3 -> S6 Active

Go to https://contacts.google.com and see if your contacts are synced to Google.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My contacts don't appear there (some of them but definitely not the ones on this S3 I'm trying to xfer over)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

revmoo posted:

My contacts don't appear there (some of them but definitely not the ones on this S3 I'm trying to xfer over)

You can try using the app Samsung Smart Switch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revmoo posted:

Then on your S3 follow the instructions at the bottom of this thread. Basically you export the contacts, clear them, turn on the Google sync option (off by default), and reimport them.

Desk Lamp posted:

You can try using the app Samsung Smart Switch.

This will work too, just make sure the option to sync them is turned on first.

You could also just import the contacts you exported directly to the page I linked. The option is in the side menu under More.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

revmoo posted:

Then they're not google contacts but are contacts local to your phone, you would need to export them to google somehow. If you originally synced them over from outlook or dejaoffice just export them to a csv and suck that up into gmail.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

uPen posted:

Then they're not google contacts but are contacts local to your phone, you would need to export them to google somehow.

Yes I think this is the issue. I really tbh expected to have Google sync that automatically regardless of where they come from sim/phone/gmail. That seems like The Point of android contact syncing, so it makes me want to say to Google:

"What would you say it is you do here?"

Regardless, the Samsung Smart Switch app is the way to go, and thanks all for the help guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's almost 100% something Samsung did to turn off contact syncing.

This really annoys me because it's 2015 and I *still* see people saying they lost all their contact for one reason or another.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Idly curious: many years ago, the EU settled on micro-USB to use as the One True Mobile Device Connector. Think everyone's going to be using adapters, now that USB-C seems to have the press jumping up and down?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

Yes I think this is the issue. I really tbh expected to have Google sync that automatically regardless of where they come from sim/phone/gmail. That seems like The Point of android contact syncing, so it makes me want to say to Google:

"What would you say it is you do here?"

It is the point of Android to make all this stuff easy, automatic, and stored in the cloud, and yet there are people that post in this very thread that use Android and turn off any cloud stuff with Google.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

spincube posted:

Idly curious: many years ago, the EU settled on micro-USB to use as the One True Mobile Device Connector. Think everyone's going to be using adapters, now that USB-C seems to have the press jumping up and down?

That's what Apple does now with their lightning port, so I could see all OEMs doing that with USB-C. Maybe down the road the EU will update the requirement to be (also?) USB-C.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So my Nexus 4 was updated to 5.1.1 a while back and I just recently decide to toss my sim card back in and see how it functions. 5.1.1 has basically revitalized a phone that made me regret ever upgrading to 5.0 initially. Battery life is back to normal or maybe better than ever, and the thing feels just as quick as it ever did. Granted, I don't use many processor/memory intensive apps, and it doesn't really want to download gifs from the SA app, but the thing is still amazing compared to the utter piece of poo poo that it became when 5.0 came about.

My biggest problem now is deciding if I really want to keep lugging around my huge Nexus 6. I never did get comfortable with this behemoth in my pocket and going briefly back to the 4 has just reminded me how nice it was to have a reasonably sized device. I think I might just keep the 6 as an emergency device and stick with the 4 for a while.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
[video type=""]Met[/video]

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014
Got my update to lollipop this morning, for a first gen Moto x (Moto maker unlocked ). Suck it carrier phones lol.
My battery use is significantly better so far.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

I don't understand why Windows couldn't do what OS X always could and simply negotiate higher power for portable HDDs connected via a standard 2.0 cable. Those Y-shaped Frankencables were always retarded.

You didn't actually need to use both cables on those Y converters most of the time anyway - just plug in the data one and it would work on most systems.

LastInLine posted:

Either way, the new USB-C fixes these problems at the cost of about a decade in transition to the new standard. I have no problems with new computers working like the MacBook or better yet, the Chromebook Pixel where you just get two ports, one on either side, and you can charge with either side. It'll never be better than the MagSafe 2, but it's a decent enough compromise to just have everything use one standard (and thank god, reversible) cable and port. Everything using the same size and type of cable for everything will be amazing, especially if you're old enough to remember things pre-1995 which was just connection hell in everything. If they get to the point to where HDMI could be replaced with the same cable I'd probably just die because it'd be the cabling equivalent to nirvana.

USB-C is going to be a whole new mess - sure the cable will physically fit but that doesn't necessarily mean the devices on either end are capable of connecting in the way you expect them to.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Hace posted:

Gimmie a trip report please, still kinda nervous after the way my N7 turned out

Been about ~20 hours thus far. Phone is stable, no memory problems so far. Performance has tangibly improved - some things were getting clunky on it, and many of those issues have gone away. Seems stable so far. Can't comment too much on battery life, will find out Monday. Definitely go for it when the update comes out for you.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I can't rant and rave about the 2nd gen moto e enough. The battery life is stellar and it is plenty fast. I downgraded from a 1st gen moto x and don't regret it at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I don't understand why Windows couldn't do what OS X always could and simply negotiate higher power for portable HDDs connected via a standard 2.0 cable. Those Y-shaped Frankencables were always retarded.

This isn't really a windows thing, more of a chipset thing. I have a portable hdd that's supposed to require one of those Y cables, but works fine with any standard USB 2.0 cable. Windows 8.1

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is Google Maps navigation as terrible for everyone else as it is in Vancouver? I would've literally driven into Washington state while trying to go north if I didn't know it was telling me to go the wrong way today. It even said it was the way to Seattle.

After I made the correct turn it was all good but it messed up badly about three times going across town and back.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Is Google Maps navigation as terrible for everyone else as it is in Vancouver? I would've literally driven into Washington state while trying to go north if I didn't know it was telling me to go the wrong way today. It even said it was the way to Seattle.

After I made the correct turn it was all good but it messed up badly about three times going across town and back.

This post is funnier considering there is a Vancouver in Washington state as well....

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mugrim posted:

I can't rant and rave about the 2nd gen moto e enough. The battery life is stellar and it is plenty fast. I downgraded from a 1st gen moto x and don't regret it at all.

That does not sound like a rant and rave.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It would have been repacked properly if that were the case. I'd exchange it because why else are you buying a new phone but to get a new phone? This definitely sounds like someone has at least fiddled with it.

Yeah, the guy at Best Buy took one look at it and agreed that someone must've messed around with the phone and swapped it for another one no questions asked.

Now that I'm actually using it I love the phone and the interface. I don't know if the next flagship phone I get will definitely be Android but this thing runs very smooth and the battery seems to be good too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inspector 34 posted:

So my Nexus 4 was updated to 5.1.1 a while back and I just recently decide to toss my sim card back in and see how it functions. 5.1.1 has basically revitalized a phone that made me regret ever upgrading to 5.0 initially. Battery life is back to normal or maybe better than ever, and the thing feels just as quick as it ever did. Granted, I don't use many processor/memory intensive apps, and it doesn't really want to download gifs from the SA app, but the thing is still amazing compared to the utter piece of poo poo that it became when 5.0 came about.

Hmm. I'm still rocking the Nexus 4 on 4.4, maybe its time to finally upgrade to 5.1.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ev posted:

Yeah, the guy at Best Buy took one look at it and agreed that someone must've messed around with the phone and swapped it for another one no questions asked.

Now that I'm actually using it I love the phone and the interface. I don't know if the next flagship phone I get will definitely be Android but this thing runs very smooth and the battery seems to be good too.

I'm glad you like the phone. I don't wanna be a downer, but I've even using the same phone you have now and just wanna point out a few things.

It's not a powerhouse at all. I know you already know that, but it really starts chugging along while multitasking. Playing music and using navigation, for example, will almost always kick the music out of memory and make it stop playing. It's pretty infuriating, and honestly I'll probably sell it soon and hop to a more powerful device. Motorola definitely messed something up with the memory management on this phone, because I've had other devices with 1gb of ram that had absolutely no problems playing music and using navigation at the same time. Also, these problems were around during the phones kit Kat days also so I'm not going to blame Google and lollipop on this one. It's all on Moto here.

It would be a great phone if it wasn't for that problem imo, but it's just too much to get over considering how much I drive and use the navigation on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

That's what Apple does now with their lightning port, so I could see all OEMs doing that with USB-C. Maybe down the road the EU will update the requirement to be (also?) USB-C.
The 2009 agreement expired in 2012. The requirement signed into law last year won't be enforced until at least 2017 and does NOT specify a the connector to be used, just that the phone manufacturers have to develop a common one together. Surprise surprise, Apple is one of the first to market with a USB-C device. Take a guess what the common connector will end up being.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Where are you trying to go, it works fantastic in Vancouver. Even the brand new Port Mann approach on the Coquitlam side works fine now, I was just going through there this morning. I have literally never had anything other than flawless navigation in the entire metro van area.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where are you trying to go, it works fantastic in Vancouver. Even the brand new Port Mann approach on the Coquitlam side works fine now, I was just going through there this morning. I have literally never had anything other than flawless navigation in the entire metro van area.

North Van to some strip mall in Richmond, stopping in Yaletown to pick up my wife. It didn't think there was a way to get to Pacific Blvd from the north, and then it told me to go south on hwy 99 to get back to North Van. It's not just stupid routes, it's the complete opposite direction. I have trouble with it almost every time I use it, over two phones now.

kensei posted:

This post is funnier considering there is a Vancouver in Washington state as well....

If it was trying to get me to that Vancouver it would make more sense. I don't need GPS to get there though since it's all I-5.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

North Van to some strip mall in Richmond, stopping in Yaletown to pick up my wife. It didn't think there was a way to get to Pacific Blvd from the north, and then it told me to go south on hwy 99 to get back to North Van. It's not just stupid routes, it's the complete opposite direction. I have trouble with it almost every time I use it, over two phones now.

That's really odd. I use it pretty often because it checks for traffic and tells me alternate routes, etc, and that's never happened to me. That's what you get for going to Richmond though.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Whats a good semi-budget phone? It seems like the nexus 5 is still a rock solid choice, but I can't believe it's still $340 for a 2 year old phone. The lg g2 looks good, but that UI is beyond terrible.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

2013 Moto X.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Xeom posted:

Whats a good semi-budget phone? It seems like the nexus 5 is still a rock solid choice, but I can't believe it's still $340 for a 2 year old phone. The lg g2 looks good, but that UI is beyond terrible.

GSM? Zenfone2 is $200 for the 2GB of ram. Good performance, decent camera. Meh battery life. Sub-$200 G2's are probably the best deal around right now, but they have the G2 issues that this thread hated 2 years ago (UI) and it's old enough that it won't be getting security updates for much/any longer. I've seen LG G3's going for slightly over $300 on deal sites, but they all seem to be refurbs of questionable repute at the moment. Leaks of a new Moto G indicate it will be a big improvement over the current models (2GB of RAM, Snapdragon 615 proc), but no release date or firm specs at the moment. The unlocked Moto X (2014) is apparently $299 after rebate at the moment.

Nice phone 9 months ago when 32GB new-old stock ones were selling for $200, but those deals aren't available anymore and you're dealing with mostly "seller refurbished" 16GB models that may be phones that were used hard for 21 months.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 21, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Xeom posted:

The last batch of phones have been pretty garbage.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The 2013 Moto X is still a really good phone.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Helter Skelter posted:

The 2013 Moto X is still a really good phone.

I just sold my 2013 Moto X (Dev Edition) and replaced it with a 2nd Gen Moto E, and I'm pretty happy about the decision. The E feels just as fast as the X was (though I don't play 3d games, mostly just podcasts and browsing). The battery lasts almost twice as long (same apps, same use) and having a 64gb SD card in it means I can have all my music/podcasts with ease. The X felt more high quality in my hand where as the E has a more toylike quality, but it also seems tough as nails.

The resolution is a downgrade, though I really don't notice it. I still read small text just fine.

My phone will be used 6+ hours of screen on time each day, as well as exchange push notifications for work. My use is pretty much the awful app, kindle, audible, pocketcasts, chrome, and outlook. I value good battery life and storage a lot. While during the work days I can usually find an outlet, on the weekends it's a bit harder. With the X I definitely had to make sure on heavy work days that I hit an outlet at some point.

I wouldn't say the 2013 Moto X is a bad phone at all, especially if you're more casual, but the battery can be an issue if you're a heavy user.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Posting from the pool. S6 active rules

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

revmoo posted:

Posting from the pool. S6 active rules

Swim down to the bottom and send us another message from there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mugrim posted:

The E feels just as fast as the X was (though I don't play 3d games, mostly just podcasts and browsing).

This is just...what?

I mean the E is a great phone for the price, but the responsiveness of the 2013 X just feels way faster. I mean, I don't think you're lying about how it feels to you...I just can't imagine being that un-attuned to responsiveness.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Help me goons!

I have a nexus 5 running lollipop. My girlfriend is on iPhone. I use hangouts for texting her so it goes through SMS. She accidentally deleted the text thread we had on her phone and lost the 400 or so photos we've sent each other. Is there some way of mass downloading all the images from the hangouts thread with her all at once from my phone? If I have to scroll back to our very first text and download images one by one, its going to take days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Super Dude posted:

Swim down to the bottom and send us another message from there.

While playing music in your headphones