Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i am never using another microsoft product :thumbsup:

that probably means you cant post anymore, epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wrong

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
boss: wtf dude, you havent replied to any emails in 2 weeks. what gives?

idiot: heh, yeah well get this - i aint using ms products no more

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is a looming disaster. plebs are going to mindlessly sign up for this when they see the pop-up. how many corporate aps will be compromised because they dont require a vpn and some moron shared it with all his facebook buds

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
the solution will be, don't upgrade to windows 10

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
windows 7 going to be the last OS from microsoft. they'll be supporting it past 2030 i bet

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Valeyard posted:

boss: wtf dude, you havent replied to any emails in 2 weeks. what gives?

idiot: heh, yeah well get this - i aint using ms products no more

lol if your boss forces you to use trash in your work

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9VKHC6Jh4

it really is that bad. plus at a few seconds in you can see the xbox 360 has this big bloom effect around the worm hole thing but the xbone doesn't?

computer parts posted:

If it really is emulation instead of a native port that's to be expected

Valeyard posted:

for an unfinished feature, its not surprising. if they get it working with the majority of games by the end of the year then thats pretty good

it's extremely hosed up that we have M$ xbone apologists right here in yospos besides shaggar, stymie, smythe... gently caress this forum is starting to suckkk arse.

the xbox 360 had "backwards compatibility" with the xbox through emulation and it had no games. the PS3 had backwards compatibility with PS2 and they actually had a PS2 chip in it, plus boosted the resolution of some games, like MGS.

in both cases no one really cared and they stopped putting those chips in the PS3 and stopped making Xbox games compatible.

in all 3 cases backwards compatibility was used to get a few cheers at launch time, except MS even hosed that up and waited over a year to announce their neutered BC.

the PS4 BC also charges hourly or monthly which is unheard of but at least it works and you can use it on multiple devices. you can use it on a $99 set top box without ever having bought the original disk.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
xbone apologists

in my yospos?

It's more likely than you think

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ty for reminding me how awful Mass Effect is

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing to apologise for, other than maybe being sorry for not getting one sooner

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

^ doesn't know what apologist means \_(ツ)_/¯

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

the PS4 BC also charges hourly or monthly which is unheard of but at least it works and you can use it on multiple devices. you can use it on a $99 set top box without ever having bought the original disk.

yeah they're running custom servers with ps3 chips on them (i think they can run 8 sessions on a single server?) and you're basically remoting into them to play your game. The time restrictions make sense given how crazy-expensive those servers must be to run and maintain but I suspect they're looking for ways to make it more cost-effective, they're doing weird promos like if you pre-order God of War 3 remastered on PS4 they give you 90 days' access to the first two games in the series via streaming.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 21, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol forever at backwards compatibility being a selling feature for consoles

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

this was the first generation we had in a while where it wasn't until recently :argh:

that said, the production costs on an actual 360 are so high it's barely cheaper than an xbone, with the 360 at $250 for a unit which comes with a hard drive (which is required for some games and it has to be a microsoft one which is extortionately priced at >$100 for a 5400 rpm laptop drive running at 500 gigs, actually their lowest per-gig price yet). if it worked it would actually make more sense than the ps3 having a ps2, since at this point in its lifetime the ps2 was only $99.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

univbee posted:

they're doing weird promos like if you pre-order Gears of War 3 remastered on PS4 they give you 90 days' access to the first two games in the series via streaming.

do you mean metal gear or is gears of war really on PS4?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

do you mean metal gear or is gears of war really on PS4?

aww gently caress, the other GoW, GOD of War.

VV I did. And fixed it. It's even in your quote of my post.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 21, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

yeah they're running custom servers with ps3 chips on them (i think they can run 8 sessions on a single server?) and you're basically remoting into them to play your game. The time restrictions make sense given how crazy-expensive those servers must be to run and maintain but I suspect they're looking for ways to make it more cost-effective, they're doing weird promos like if you pre-order God of War 3 remastered on PS4 they give you 90 days' access to the first two games in the series via streaming.

i think you mean god of war 3

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

i got an alienware alpha (PC) recently because hey I can play fallout 3 on it, but PS4 can only play fall out 4! PC is backwards compatible!

but really fall out 3 only runs on windows XP or Vista or something and crashes on PC Windows 7 and above unless i follow 12 different troubleshooting guides to find one that solves the problem for me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

i got an alienware alpha (PC) recently because hey I can play fallout 3 on it, but PS4 can only play fall out 4! PC is backwards compatible!

but really fall out 3 only runs on windows XP or Vista or something and crashes on PC Windows 7 and above unless i follow 12 different troubleshooting guides to find one that solves the problem for me.

how can that be? games for windows live proves that microsoft is committed to PC gamers!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

how can that be? games for windows live proves that microsoft is committed to PC gamers!

on that note i re-downloaded Red Faction Guerrilla or whatever and it now has a "steam version" option, which gets rid of that dumb windows Live poo poo which had to update, insert CD key, update again, update, and then you're good to play!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

or just have a separate hdd with xp on it for your james that you boot as needed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

games stuck with gfwl are the only ones where its still easier to pirate them. for everything else you make a couple of clicks in steam and it'll download as fast as it possibly can

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gfwl lol. microsoft literally hates its customers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chris Knight posted:

how else do they expect anyone to play halo on an xbone

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, they used to only hate their video game customers, it wasn't until Windows 8 that their customer hate pilot program was able to branch out to a mainstream audience

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasureKevin posted:

it's extremely hosed up that we have M$ xbone apologists right here in yospos besides shaggar, stymie, smythe... gently caress this forum is starting to suckkk arse.

to accuse me of being pro-xb1x is entirely out of line

i only support pc gaming and nintendo gaming platforms, never a console

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

If you don’t have your Microsoft Account (MSA) connected to your PC, starting in the next build you’ll start seeing notifications asking you to do so. You’ll need to connect the MSA that you registered for the Windows Insider Program with (and accepted the “Microsoft Windows Insider Program Agreement”) in order to continue receiving new Windows 10 Insider Preview builds (both Fast and Slow rings) from Windows Update. If you already have your MSA connected to your account on your PC, then you’re all set. We’re introducing new infrastructure in Windows Update to help us deliver new builds more effectively to Windows Insiders, and ensure that we’re flighting builds to people who have registered and opted in to the program. Connecting your MSA also allows seamless access to Windows Insider-only functionality in the Windows Feedback app and Insider Hub too.

SCREW YOU WE WANT MORE INFORMATION

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i think i remember reading that actual consumers don't give a poo poo about backwards compat in consoles, but it's just a dumb checkbox.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i bet there was some study where "97% of all self-identified "gamers" said they would "highly prefer" that they could play emulated games on a newly released console" and it went to the product teams "WE CAN DO THIS" completely missing the point of what they meant

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
emulated backwards comparability is dumb

everyone just pines for the days of PS2 backwards comparability but thats not a fiscal option anymore

but creating software based emulation is dumb and needs to stop no one wants it and is only there to prove that they can do it, and the results are hideously bad because they want to ship it out as fast as possible to show that they "care"

Sony is at least trying to do it right by making all emulation digital instead of by disc

speaking of which Xbox360 disc checking is some of the crazies, convoluted poo poo just to fight piracy

wrapper on 360 game, this includes a base version of the 360 OS, which depending on the game, needs a special wrapper around that to make sure its running the correct version of 360 OS needed to run that game

theyre basically nesting virtualized systems like 3 times down and lol

three xbone OS's, 360 OS, two or more 360 disc checks

THERES GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY

oh i know dont own an xbone

Siljmonster fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
in memory of steve jobs, content creation on an ipad

https://youtu.be/WzVhVJaKexk

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Siljmonster posted:

Sony is at least trying to do it right by making all emulation digital instead of by disc
yes, repaying for blocks of time to replay old games you already own and are dependent on your net connection's latency that day - the right way

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 21, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it was really a tragedy when everyone's ps3s and xbox 360s just stopped working all on the same day

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

carry on then posted:

it was really a tragedy when everyone's ps3s and xbox 360s just stopped working all on the same day

pretty much true for the 360, just not all on the same day

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
backcompat is cool. i cba setting up my 360. and then i would need to use the 360 controller to paly game and the xbone controller to talk in party chat which is pretty fail

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Nintendo has backwards compat down so well even controllers from two generations ago still work with their current console.

I mean, they can't do much else right, but they got that going for them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TerminalRaptor posted:

Nintendo has backwards compat down so well even controllers from two generations ago still work with their current console.

I mean, they can't do much else right, but they got that going for them.
the wii u still needs an adapter as a separate peripheral. the wii doesn't, but that's not their current console

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

the wii u still needs an adapter as a separate peripheral. the wii doesn't, but that's not their current console

for gc controllers i think it only works for smash, and not for anything else

most wii u games are a random clusterfuck of which types of controllers they will and won't support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

univbee posted:

for gc controllers i think it only works for smash, and not for anything else

most wii u games are a random clusterfuck of which types of controllers they will and won't support

whoops, you're right. I was over at a friend's party the other day and he had smash running with wavebirds. I assumed they worked in other games as well.

• Locked thread