Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dyzzy posted:

It's not a bug, you have to sit down opposite Yen to get going. (There should be a tooltip for this though)

The prompt is there but hitting it does nothing! If only Geralt could tell her he preferred standing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Also barbers.

YESSSSS!

I also got the retire-to-the-bread-house-with-Triss ending. Bonin' and bakin'.

Agahnim
Sep 14, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is there a way to quickly switch through signs in the Witcher 3?

Yes! At least with a controller you hold the block button and use the left and right d-pad to cycle signs.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just finished the game. I find it odd they decided to do some inverse difficulty in fighting the Hunt generals. Imlerith was the hardest for me, followed by Eredin, then Caranthir.

PRO TIP: When Caranthir summons ice elementals, but them between you and Caranthir. When Caranthir shoots ice balls at you, they all hit the ice elementals and will two shot them.

Imlerith is the head soldier guy so beyond not being the final boss you could assume he was the strongest.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I didn't ever see that many options or chances to,mother than kissing her at a fountain.

The deal is:

Kiss her at the fountain. During the "Now or Never" quest, tell her to stay, followed by "I love you". That's pretty much it, you're locked in for a romance with Triss and the Triss ending. Nothing else necessary. Obviously do NOT then tell Yen you love her, or things will turn out rather worse.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
drat. I liked Triss better anyway.

I'm two dimeritium plates short of my master crafted wolf armor jacket, and the complete master crafted set. gently caress me.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Got any dimeritium shackles in your junk pile to dismantle?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
No I looked :(. Literal piles of precious stone dust and rare monster anatomy, but not dimeritium. I have three diamonds the size of my fist, but no dimeritium! Any witch hunter strongholds I can butcher?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't play previous games and haven't been able to find this in the lore. Why are the Witchers a dying breed? Is there really that much less work for them? Or is it the general disgust at what they have to do to turn kids into Witchers?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
PSA that I am currently finding out the hard way: DO NOT drink your decoctions BEFORE you talk to Avallach for the final mission. They will expire and you will NOT be able to meditate to get them back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sax Solo posted:

I didn't play previous games and haven't been able to find this in the lore. Why are the Witchers a dying breed? Is there really that much less work for them? Or is it the general disgust at what they have to do to turn kids into Witchers?

I seem to recall from Witcher 1 that Kaer Morhan had been sacked by a mob and the secrets of making new Witchers lost. That's why the new guy wasn't a 'proper' Witcher, he had the training but they couldn't mutate him.
Presumably something similar happened to the other schools.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Sax Solo posted:

In order to make new Witchers you basically need to have a whole school dedicated to 'recruiting', training, and developing witcher candidates. Then you need to have appropriately knowledge of how to mutate those that make it into witchers via the trial of grasses, and then those that survive and are viable, they need to bring an income into the school to keep it going.

Pretty much all schools have been either imploded by infighting, turning into assassin schools, sacked/weakened to the point of falloff.

Also, a lot of witchers don't get a poo poo about propagating their kind, despite how useful they can be since they have been turned into cynical monsters like Lambert, don't give a poo poo like Letho, or care too much like Vesimir and can't bring themselves to keep doing it.

So in order to bring Witchers 'back' you need an external power with resources to take a huge investment into doing it. Basically gather up whatever witchers they can, some sorceresses, alchemists, etc, and take the time to recruit and train individuals from youth into adults.

Jacques was basically trying to do that in a half-rear end, self-tortured sort of way in W1, but failed by a long shot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

No I looked :(. Literal piles of precious stone dust and rare monster anatomy, but not dimeritium. I have three diamonds the size of my fist, but no dimeritium! Any witch hunter strongholds I can butcher?

I'm pretty sure you can craft dark steel and meteorite ingots into dimeritium; and both dark steel and meteorite are purchasable.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sax Solo posted:

I haven't read the books but played all the games, seems like

-Witchers are mostly distrusted and treated as freak mutants, grudgingly hired to kill monsters when rear end in a top hat peasants realize they have no alternatives. The Cat and Viper schools are noted as having gone straight up assassins for hire, while the Wolf school Geralts and friends belong to is considered one of the "good" ones. They're not generally well-liked in the game world.

-Seems like as the world becomes more advanced, civilized, and developed a lot of the monsters are disappearing. They seem to be more a phenomenon of the wilds and back woods, plus you have strong central governments like Nilfgaard come along that can presumably handle these things fairly effectively.

Edit: I think specifically it's mentioned Velen is plagued by necrophages due to all the fighting and destruction

-The process to train a Witcher is pretty cruel and none of the Wolf school witchers seem to have any interest in "recruiting" new witchers. Even if you're one of the 30% of the "recruited" kids that survive the mutations, you end up pretty hosed emotionally from the experience of having the majority of your childhood friends die.

basically they have a lovely business model

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 21, 2015

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Just 100%'d it after who knows how many hours. Got the Ciri becomes a witcher, Temeria comes back, Geralt & Yen retire ending because I totally missed the option to take Ciri back to Emhyr between Acts 1 & 2 and have that whole conversation.

Probably going to give it a break until either NG+ or the first big expansion comes out, but easily the best game I've played in a very long time.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Everyone talks about how good the writing in this game is, but if you keep track of how many times Geralt says "Looks like Blood. Human/monster blood," you'll actually realize this is a videogame adaptation of Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eventually I just stopped examining certain CSI Investigation Points with the Witcher senses because I knew all Geralt would say is some combination of "Hmm, interesting", "Looks like blood", "Footprints... should follow them", or "Been dead a long time". Also the fact that he mumbles all this to himself out loud is kinda funny to me and I'm glad there's a moment where the game calls attention to that he does that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sax Solo posted:

Sometime before the games started Kaer Morhen was attacked, killing a great deal of witchers. None who survived knew how to do the full gauntlet of witcher trials, so there are to be no more witchers. Vesemeir was one of the survivors but he was only a fencing instructor and does not know the full process.

The attack on Kaer Morhen in the first game is a entirely seperate thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lord Lambeth posted:

Sometime before the games started Kaer Morhen was attacked, killing a great deal of witchers. None who survived knew how to do the full gauntlet of witcher trials, so there are to be no more witchers. Vesemeir was one of the survivors but he was only a fencing instructor and does not know the full process.

Yeah I think the wolf school gear quest references that older attack.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

drat. I liked Triss better anyway.

I'm two dimeritium plates short of my master crafted wolf armor jacket, and the complete master crafted set. gently caress me.

You can actually craft those from lower-tier crafting ingedients.

2 dimeritium ingots = 1 plate
1 dimeritium ore + 1 glowing ore ingot (or second dimeritium ore) = 1 dimeritium ingot
1 dark steel ingot + 1 meteorite silver ingot = 1 dimeritium ore

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the difference between stun and stagger in terms of runes?

Also if I choose Triss, and don't want to choose both, can I do any of Yennifer's quest line when I get to it? Or do I just have to say no and miss a bunch of quests?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 21, 2015

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Also if I choose Triss, and don't want to choose both, can I do any of Yennifer's quest line when I get to it? Or do I just have to say no and miss a bunch of quests?

You can do the quest, but choose "the magic is gone" option at the end

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Presumably people must have got pissed off enough at the Cat to burn them down too. They certainly shouldn't have run out of money.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

With the general at the top of the oak, if you tell him Ciri's there too, he implies he was looking forward to the fight. Might explain why he wanted to fight you alone.

Yeah, I know, still not sure if he'd put the entire plan in jeopardy just for that though. Like, keep some backup around just in case, right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Counterpoint: he's a 'roided-out freakazoid.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I just beat the game and am now depressed since there won't likely be one this good for a long time.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I couldn't decide what skills to upgrade for the longest time, so for the first 120 hours played and until level 12 I still hadn't spend any skill points -- besides 2 in delusion for dialogue options and 1 in acquired tolerance for a nice toxicity boost. Yeah, it's really stupid and weird of me. I'm playing on Death March to boot, so it was pretty dang crazy challenge with no skills for 12 lvls (fun though, and it really upped my skill at combat at least ). Finally, I hosed around and tried out a bunch of skills for an hour by save/reloading and decided how to spend my 13 points.

I went with maxing the first Strong Attack skill, maxed the first Yrden skill and the alternate Yrden skill, maxed delusion and puppet, and maxed the Quen shield bubble, 1 in the first Igni (basically to help unlock the 2nd tier of signs), and lastly got the medium armor skill.

All I have to say is -- holy loving poo poo these skills are amazing and I have instantly become an unstoppable death machine. For all my hemming and hawing about what to upgrade I definitely picked loving well once I actually decided what to get.

Yrden's primary is useful on Death March, especially against wraiths. Having it last ~30 seconds long slowdown and being able to use two at a time to cover lots of ground is great -- but the real winner is the Alt Yrden. Holy crap, that thing dishes out some pretty decent damage and, better yet, its hits keep enemies constantly staggered and interrupted. Fully upgraded it has like 8 shots of ~130 dmg before it runs out. It's really an unbelievably useful skill on Death March, being able to set it and have something automatically attacking and staggering enemies is insanely good.

Regular Axii is amazing, with some decent stamina regen you can basically keep people chain stunned -- it's broken really. Maxed Axii puppet is also broken overpowered. Your mind controlled dudes will generally one-shot whoever they attack for you. The only downside is it only lasts about 1 second for every 10% sign intensity, so sometimes my 11 seconds runs out before the stupid AI controlling it has a chance to even hit one person. Usually though it works fine and it takes one enemy off your back, and then that enemy pretty much guarantees the death of one or two other enemies. This combined with the Yrden and regular Axii gives you some seriously helpful crowd control, which you need on Death March, to control the flow of battles.

Another broken good skill, again especially on Death March, is the maxed Quen bubble. It heals SO MUCH HEALTH. And maxed out you can keep it on without it draining any stamina (except when you are hit, obviously), so it's basically a click and wait to be hit then healed for at least half your health bar -- invaluable on Death March. It feels like cheating using this skill.

Strong attack I went with just from personal preference, I tend to make big openings and take big hacks and Strong Attack felt more useful for my style of play than Fast.

The medium armor skill gives you 20/s stamina regen when wearing all medium armor, which is just enough to be able to cast signs pretty quickly back to back. The extra sign intensity is cool too, but the real draw is the stamina regen. Since each skill point spent in the signs tree = 0.5/s stamina regen, the 20 from this skill is the equivalent of 40 points spent in the Signs tree worth of Stamina regen. It's really a must have for signs builds.

Anyway, I guess the point of this post is if any of you are running Signs builds and have overlooked these Signs, you really owe it to yourself to check them out-- they are really, really loving awesome and useful.

As an aside, this game is loving incredible, and I'm savoring every second of it, as you can tell with me being level 12 and just getting to Novigrad after 120 hours play. Probably going to be 3-400 hours before I finish this game

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Having trouble making a good Gwent deck. So I did notice that like the innkeepers and poo poo have a yellow text "lets play Gwent!" line. I assume that means they are part of the "collect gwent cards" quest and it makes it easy to know when you got everything of value and never need to play them again.

The problem is with the regular mooks that play Gwent and just have standard white text. Even if I lose, the text turns grayed out, which makes it really hard to keep track of if I beat them or not. Do these guys ever give cards of actual value? Should I keep track of one of these guys that I can't beat, so that I can come back later? Like write down their name/location or something?

Or do they not really matter and the Yellow Text guys are all that matters for getting good cards?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Way earlier in the thread I posted about how confusing the transition from TW2 to TW3 was. Finished the game the other night and figured I'd try to make some kind of write-up for anyone else that found themselves baffled at the start in White Orchard. No spoilers for TW3 - though technically you hear some of this stuff from Yennefer in Skellige and other parties, it's all about events that happened way before the start of the game proper and don't really spoil anything in the main game. Since it's been a month I figure this should be OK but let me know if it's not and I'll tag it more and/or burn it to the ground.

Way before the start of TW1:
* A pogrom (race riot) breaks out in Rivia while Geralt and co. are in town. Taking it upon themselves to keep the peace, they step in to stop it - but Geralt gets supremely unlucky and is skewered by some nobody peasant with a pitchfork. Yennefer dies soon after him (still during the riot, but under unclear circumstances).
* Edit, courtesy Crappy Jack: "Yen dies casting a healing spell to try and save Geralt, even though she knows that the attempt will drain her of energy and kill her."
* Ciri uses her Elder Blood power to narrowly preserve Geralt and Yen's lives, and deposits them on the Isle of Avalon/Avallach, a limbo-esque lotus eater paradise, where they can safely recover. However, their friends believe they're dead for real.
* At some point, the Wild Hunt becomes aware of Ciri and begins hunting her. Unsuccessful at catching her, they turn their sights elsewhere: Geralt and Yen, still weak and recuperating on Avalon, hoping to use them to lure Ciri.
* The Wild Hunt raids Avalon and succeeds at capturing a weakened Yen, but Geralt escapes. He leaves Avalon under his own power and sets off after her. At this point, he doesn't have plot amnesia yet - that comes later.
* Geralt (with aid from Letho, as learned in TW2) catches up to the Wild Hunt, and, unable to beat them conventionally, trades himself for Yen.

Roughly contemporaneous with TW1:
* Yen suffers a mild case of amnesia as a result of her time with the Wild Hunt, but nowhere near as bad a case as Geralt will have later. She starts searching for Ciri, but her continued inquiries backfire, and alert the Wild Hunt to her presence without turning up anything about Ciri.
* Still weak and on the run, Yen is captured by Nilfgaard under unclear circumstances. She is held for many months before the Nilfgaardians realize her significance. At some point, the Emperor appears personally and offers her a job in his court and her (relative) freedom in exchange for her aid in finding Ciri. The exact point in time at which he makes Yen this offer is unclear, given later events.
* Ciri somehow learns of Geralt's imprisonment and returns to free him. She somehow infiltrates the Wild Hunt and ensures his escape, depositing his unconscious body in the woods near Kaer Morhen, before resuming her flight. Vesemir and co. later find him there - with a bad case of plot amnesia. This marks the beginning of the first game.

Roughly contemporaneous with TW2, but up for debate:
* The Emperor's personal mages make quick work of Yen's plot amnesia and she recovers her full memory in a relatively short amount of time. Her Nilfgaard-backed search for Ciri begins in earnest.
* Being that she only had mild amnesia, Yen incorrectly assumes that Geralt (being a witcher and all) suffers no adverse effects from his time with the Wild Hunt and assumes he'll contact her first, explaining her absence from previous games.
* Letho and/or Sile tell Geralt, at the conclusion of TW2, that Yen is being held captive in Nilfgaard. Depending on how jaded you are, this is either because they're working with out-of-date information, having been undercover for so long, or is a deft retcon. It's probably a little of both.

After TW2 and before the start of TW3:
Here's where things get a bit messy.
* Six months pass with Geralt searching for Yen. At some point, he receives a letter from the woman herself, asking him to meet her in a certain village. However, the village is destroyed during the Nilfgaardian invasion before they can meet and Geralt is left with scratch.
* How and when did Yen send the letter? It seems like he got it relatively recently, but it's hard to say. It's been six months since TW2 and who knows how long since Yen's deal with Emhyr was brokered, so there's a pretty big stretch of time unaccounted for. How he got it is never addressed to the best of my knowledge; probably by courier or carrier pigeon or something.
* The opening cinematic depicts Yen running from a battle and leaving tracks Geralt finds later. This was most likely her going to the village specified in her letter to meet Geralt, but having the misfortune of showing up right before the invasion hits and getting caught in the crossfire.
* Depending on your choices in TW2, Triss can still be with Geralt at the game's end and pledge to help him find Yen. She falls into a plothole in between TW2 and 3. From everything I saw, no explanation is given as to why the two split up; their dialogue makes no secret that they broke off their romance, but never goes into why that happened or why she abandoned the search for Yen.
* At some point, Geralt bumps into Vesemir and gains his help searching for Yen. The exact circumstances of their meeting are left unclear; either it really was coincidence or Geralt clandestinely sent for Vesemir or some such.

No guarantees this is 100% correct since I'm just working off what I can remember, but this is the rough order of events to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully this helps clear things up for anyone else who was lost at the start of TW3. I deliberately omitted Avallac'h's role in the plot since that's more directly connected to TW3 than just a play-by-play of how everyone got where they are.

Edit: Clarified the circumstances of Yen's almost-death, as explained by Crappy Jack, below.

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 22, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I like to add that the game outright tells you that it is Ciri's story, not Geralts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be honest Triss and Geralt breaking up off-screen, or Geralt going off with Vesemir and fruitlessly looking for Yen off-screen are both fine for a series that's about an established protagonist who's done a ton of stuff outside or between games already. It's just that the game does a poor job of explaining the 6 months between Witcher 2 and 3. There's no real reason for it to be 6 months anyway, it could have been 6 weeks with the chaos and invasion of Temeria and Aedirn that Witcher 2's epilogue showed.

What I'm trying to say is there's nothing wrong conceptually with important plot developments happening between Witcher 2 and Witcher 3; Witcher 3 just does a bad job of explaining what happened and why.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Having trouble making a good Gwent deck. So I did notice that like the innkeepers and poo poo have a yellow text "lets play Gwent!" line. I assume that means they are part of the "collect gwent cards" quest and it makes it easy to know when you got everything of value and never need to play them again.

The problem is with the regular mooks that play Gwent and just have standard white text. Even if I lose, the text turns grayed out, which makes it really hard to keep track of if I beat them or not. Do these guys ever give cards of actual value? Should I keep track of one of these guys that I can't beat, so that I can come back later? Like write down their name/location or something?

Or do they not really matter and the Yellow Text guys are all that matters for getting good cards?

Everyone matters because there are hero cards that you get by playing random mooks. Also, be sure to save caged traders. They are playable and sell good cards.

Just build on the starter deck by getting the bond cards, spies, decoys, scorch and the scorch dragon. Keep your units to the minimum 22 and get the Siegemaster Foltest card from the nobleman in the Vizima flower garden.

Other thatn that run a clear weather and sub in a biting cold for monster decks.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

I just beat the game and am now depressed since there won't likely be one this good for a long time.

Have faith.

1) Cyberpunk 2077
2) The dude in charge of the bloody Baron questline now works for guerilla games and is doing the story for that Horizons ps4 game.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Avalanche posted:

Have faith.

1) Cyberpunk 2077
2) The dude in charge of the bloody Baron questline now works for guerilla games and is doing the story for that Horizons ps4 game.

1) We won't learn more about Cyberpunk 2077 until late next year (it's tentatively scheduled for 2017).
2) The bloody baron quest - while incredible - isn't what makes this game so incredibly good.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Avalanche posted:

Have faith.

1) Cyberpunk 2077

1) it's not the Witcher
2) I'm not a child so consoles don't interest me
3) put some DLC in so I can ply my Witcher trade

I wonder, why is black blood in this game? There are a total of 3 vampires and they don't eat your blood.

[quote]

Magni posted:

You can actually craft those from lower-tier crafting ingedients.

2 dimeritium ingots = 1 plate
1 dimeritium ore + 1 glowing ore ingot (or second dimeritium ore) = 1 dimeritium ingot
1 dark steel ingot + 1 meteorite silver ingot = 1 dimeritium ore

I don't have the diagram for dimeritium ore.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 21, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where do you get a second catapult? I've long since stopped getting random cards from vendors.

Agahnim
Sep 14, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't have the diagram for dimeritium ore.

It's called Refined Dimeritium ore, so you may just have to scroll further down.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I wonder, why is black blood in this game? There are a total of 3 vampires and they don't eat your blood.

It's also for Necrophages. Superior Black Blood cause Necrophages and Vampires to start bleeding the moment they get near you, so it's pretty awesome when fighting a swarm of alghouls.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

FuriousGeorge posted:

Man I really wish the ambient music tracks were included in the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-ND8eT7I4

That'd have to be my favourite track in the game. Urge to start second play through rising....

Realizing just now for some reason I never bothered to play Gwent. Might give it a whirl on my next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Where do you get a second catapult? I've long since stopped getting random cards from vendors.

Buy it in the Passiflora.

http://gwentcards.com/