Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Loved Shirou doing a Japanese Unlimited Blade Works chant, although I would've liked to hear it in English, but that wasn't going to happen. Since when can Shirou use Rho Aias anyway? That wasn't in the VN, I think, but it was a good addition.

It actually was. "That's why one of my eyes is open. I pull out a shield from the hill to block the oncoming Noble Phantasms." As for "since when"- it makes a bit less sense in the adaptation, and we can only guess that he learned of it when he absorbed Archer's skills during their combat. The actual explanation would have been in the previous episode had they not changed it from the VN- Gilgamesh uses Ea on Shirou directly, though he doesn't charge it to its full power, and Archer saves Shirou by projecting Rho Aias from where he's hiding. Shirou only notices a glimpse of it- not enough to realise what it is or where it came from, but enough to analyse it and copy it into his Reality Marble.

GhostStalker posted:

The fight was indeed amazing, and the music was great as well. I picked up mixes of This Illusion, Sword of Promised Victory, Emiya, and New Dawn; and now I'm gonna have to rewatch the episode to get all the others.

Fragment of Into the Night (I only noticed it on a rewatch) plays when Shirou is chanting UBW. Last Strength plays as the fight in the Reality Marble starts. Sorrow plays as Saber disappears.

GhostStalker posted:

Looks like True End is confirmed then. Wonder how they're gonna stretch the epilogue to a double length episode though...

I don't think it will be double length. From what I remember the initial news was that the season would be 12 episode long, with a double-length finale, but it looks like thay've decided to split the epilogue into a separate ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

There are two times in the novel in which it is used.
The first is when Gil uses Ea That is Archer
The second one is when Shirou uses UBW. That is Shirou

No, that second one is also Archer, casting it from hiding.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shiro used it the second time, it's even stated that he pulled it from the hill.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The music that plays when Saber unleashes Excalibur is loving amazing. Also, I honestly loved how much Rin struggles as she deals with the curses and dragging Shinji's rear end outo f the Grail. Girl's a true hero.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can't believe the subbers didn't kept "King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, they'd lost too much of the story's emotional resonance to retrieve it here, and in particular it was hard to feel that Shirou's new resolve was as positive or heroic as the story apparently wanted to make us feel it was, but it was great to see the series's spectacle make a comeback with the Shirou-Gil fight. They've had some difficulty making UBW/GOB spam look that exciting in the past (Gil-Berserker and Shirou-Archer in particular felt duller than they should have been), but this was both kinetic and hella pretty. It was nice to see them drop the speechifying and just try to murder the poo poo out of each other once Shirou popped his Reality Marble, too - Gil's opening speech was pretty much a Greatest Hits of Bad UBW Philosophy, and, as mentioned above, Shirou's rejoinder felt pretty empty (yeah, I'll follow Archer's path, but it'll be OK this time, honest) - there may have been more to it than that, but they didn't really sell it convincingly if so.

Looking forward to the gifs, certainly.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Aumanor posted:

It actually was. "That's why one of my eyes is open. I pull out a shield from the hill to block the oncoming Noble Phantasms."
Huh, must've forgotten that. Have to reread that scene in the LP Archive then.

quote:

Fragment of Into the Night (I only noticed it on a rewatch) plays when Shirou is chanting UBW. Last Strength plays as the fight in the Reality Marble starts. Sorrow plays as Saber disappears.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I rewatch the episode. Gotta listen to the soundtrack again too to remember some of those tracks.

quote:

I don't think it will be double length. From what I remember the initial news was that the season would be 12 episode long, with a double-length finale, but it looks like thay've decided to split the epilogue into a separate ep.
Huh, I guess that makes more sense than a double episode finale. Not enough material for that, as I said earlier. Still, do you have something confirming that?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I rewatch the episode. Gotta listen to the soundtrack again too to remember some of those tracks.

Note that multiple tracks from the soundtrack aren't on youtube. I think they were taken down in the recent years, I remember them all being there once. In general I just use Seorin's LP when I want to have a listen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Can't believe the subbers didn't kept "King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?"
Yeah, that would've been great, but since the preview last week didn't use that translation, I figured it wouldn't be in there either.

Aumanor posted:

Note that multiple tracks from the soundtrack aren't on youtube. I think they were taken down in the recent years, I remember them all being there once. In general I just use Seorin's LP when I want to have a listen.

Yeah, that's what I was planning to do anyway, use the LP Archive's version of seorin's LP to get to the tindeck links to the tracks.

Almost forgot, I loved how they used New Dawn as the BGM for the preview as well. Great use of that track.

Also, looks like Rin did get a new set of three Command Seals when she formed a contract with Saber. She did use all three prior to the Excaliblast scene, so I guess that answers that question.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 21, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I probably built it up too much in my head but I really feel the UBW incantation wasn't as good as it could've been. The actual fight afterwards was pretty swell, though.

Rodyle posted:

No, that second one is also Archer, casting it from hiding.
I liked this change because given Gil's personality he would never use Ea directly against an opponent like Shirou and because Archer projecting Rho Aias to protect him from it is really unclear in the VN. It does mean that there's no convenient handwave explanation as to why Shirou can project it himself but it's not a big deal, all told.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Are you telling me Gil got killed without busting out that golden throne spaceship thing? I want a refund.

I'm glad that Archer in a sense told Rin to take care of him and not necessarily Shirou. I know that Archer isn't directly future Shirou but there's always been a disconnect that establishes them as two separate people. I just wanted that moment where Rin recognized that her servant is Shirou.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ship nothing, he probably wouldn't have been scratched if he even had his armor on (even Saber's sword can't get through it).

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Real good episode, the action scenes were great, Assassin/Saber ruled, and they managed the talky-bits while still making it enjoyable.

As for Gil not using everything at his disposal, like his armor etc. seems like his whole situation of being trapped in a physical form without an actual master might play into it, although from a narrative point of view it doesn't really matter anyway

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was a slightly difficult narrative sell that Shirou could physically overpower Gilgamesh like that, though. I mean, it was basically what Rin did to Medea, and I assumed that he was using her tricks with the borrowed crest, but... well, Medea isn't known as a front-line fighter, and is always presented as a kinda squishy nerd (as is standard for Casters). Gilgamesh, on the other hand, is the archetypal ancient hero, a two-thirds divine monster with a legend full of spectacular battles. Sure, he's lazy as gently caress and his combat skills are rusty, but everything indicates that his strength, speed and durability should be incredibly fearsome even if he isn't especially talented in using them. I mean, this is the guy who half-destroyed a city in a (brief) wrestling match and took on a country-destroying kaiju mano a mano. Having him as a weedy rich boy propped up by his collection of ludicrously broken toys glosses over what he did to get all of those.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shneak posted:

Are you telling me Gil got killed without busting out that golden throne spaceship thing? I want a refund.

I'm glad that Archer in a sense told Rin to take care of him and not necessarily Shirou. I know that Archer isn't directly future Shirou but there's always been a disconnect that establishes them as two separate people. I just wanted that moment where Rin recognized that her servant is Shirou.

I'm pretty sure Gi's Vimana was destroyed in the dog fight against F/Z Berserker.

And, I just want to state that the way Gil finally goes out is such a giant rear end pull. It would've been far less cringe worthy if they actually just had Archer suicide him with a final attack after Shirou's UBW collapses while telling Shirou he done good.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

It was a slightly difficult narrative sell that Shirou could physically overpower Gilgamesh like that, though. I mean, it was basically what Rin did to Medea, and I assumed that he was using her tricks with the borrowed crest, but... well, Medea isn't known as a front-line fighter, and is always presented as a kinda squishy nerd (as is standard for Casters). Gilgamesh, on the other hand, is the archetypal ancient hero, a two-thirds divine monster with a legend full of spectacular battles. Sure, he's lazy as gently caress and his combat skills are rusty, but everything indicates that his strength, speed and durability should be incredibly fearsome even if he isn't especially talented in using them. I mean, this is the guy who half-destroyed a city in a (brief) wrestling match and took on a country-destroying kaiju mano a mano. Having him as a weedy rich boy propped up by his collection of ludicrously broken toys glosses over what he did to get all of those.
I think you're mistaking "rusty" for "didn't even know how to use 99% of his arsenal because he never cared to find out."

AlternateNu posted:

And, I just want to state that the way Gil finally goes out is such a giant rear end pull. It would've been far less cringe worthy if they actually just had Archer suicide him with a final attack after Shirou's UBW collapses while telling Shirou he done good.
Yeah I've never been as much of a fan of Archer suddenly being alive and sniping Gilgamesh, but I guess dude had to get his own hits in.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that Shirou is channeling the skills and at least partially the strength of the original owner of whatever weapon he traces. While Gilgamesh as a swordsman is worse than mediocre. I mean, his greatest (and only) victory in a close quarters combat this route was a ten year old girl.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Finally some good fight animation. I laughed out loud when the crappy editing tried its darnedest to ruin everything though. Shirou vs Gil hotting up? BACK TO RIN BEING EATEN. The grail is destroyed, Saber disappearing, sort of peaceful and sad? SWORDFIGHT TIME!

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

THIS Gilgamesh is not a 2/3 god king. This is a physical manifestation of a magical copy of his dead spirit, corrupted by pure evil in liquid curse form. It's a completely different realm of raw power.

Also, this is Nasuverse Gilgamesh, not Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh. Much like Arturia deviates from Arthurian legend, it stands to think that so would Guilgamesh.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Repster posted:

Also, this is Nasuverse Gilgamesh, not Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh. Much like Arturia deviates from Arthurian legend, it stands to think that so would Guilgamesh.
Oh yeah, this too. I remember my friend (who was taking an Arthurian history class at that exact moment) criticizing that Arturia's character and arc (and by extension Fate/Zero's Berserker) in Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero deviated heavily from the standard myths. Which is relatively fine, the servants are merely based on the myths and Saber deviates most heavily from her origin since her narrative purpose is to serve as a parallel to Shirou, so her story and character in both Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero were contrived to fit that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's jarring because everyone else is on par, physically, with their legends. Hercules is an unstoppable behemoth, and Arturia and Cuchulainn are just as strong and durable as the stories indicate (sure, Lancer doesn't warp-spasm out and obliterate half of Fuyuki, but he dies ludicrously hard). Even the guy they hired to play Sasaki Kojirou manages to be pretty seriously superhuman despite the laundry list of stuff holding him back. It's just Gilgamesh who seems to have eaten a massive downgrade.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If the legends of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table say anything about themselves, it's that they're already extremely anime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Downgrade is a bit unfair, he's still by a pretty big margin the most powerful character with the most presence in the franchise and you see him more in his "glory" element in other parts. He just didn't give a gently caress about any of the opponents that were left during this run.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I will say, I liked how they animated Gil hesitating in pulling out Ea right before he got de-armed. Was that written into the VN?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, but it felt like a missed choreography opportunity. It would have been cool to show him having ludicrous strength but no idea what to do with it when the fight gets up close and personal, fighting with wild, devastating swings that Shirou easily dodges but that wreck a whole lot of real estate. Underline that it's the superior skill from his borrowed memories that's letting our underdog win this, not their power levels being matched.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but it felt like a missed choreography opportunity. It would have been cool to show him having ludicrous strength but no idea what to do with it when the fight gets up close and personal, fighting with wild, devastating swings that Shirou easily dodges but that wreck a whole lot of real estate. Underline that it's the superior skill from his borrowed memories that's letting our underdog win this, not their power levels being matched.
I'm gonna say that this is fair. I think the fundamental problem is that there was like no close combat to the match. If they had more close combat scenes they probably would have taken the time to make that more apparent.

Fight was still great but I wanted more close combat fighting damnit (I don't remember how much of that happened in the VN honestly, as you can guess the VN version of this fight is kind of a crazy whirl).

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 21, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Twiddy posted:

I'm gonna say that this is fair. I think the fundamental problem is that there was like no close combat to the match. If they had more close combat scenes they probably would have taken the time to make that more apparent.

Fight was still great but I wanted more close combat fighting damnit (I don't remember how much of that happened in the VN honestly, as you can guess the VN version of this fight is kind of a crazy whirl).

At the same time this is one of those fight scenes that really depended on your imagination. Ufo made the decision I think that best conforms to how their abilities actually work in a practical fashion which is "Gil has no reason not to shoot dozens of blades at once even when close quarters".

Repster posted:

THIS Gilgamesh is not a 2/3 god king. This is a physical manifestation of a magical copy of his dead spirit, corrupted by pure evil in liquid curse form. It's a completely different realm of raw power.

I imagine its partly this, it's also partly because as Gil complains he doesn't live in the same era where he could do all that and restrains himself considerably. He really just doesn't have the motivation or will to bring himself to care outside of a few moments where he gets pissed off or wants to wife Saber.

Maybe there's a narrative parallel to be drawn with Shirou in that Gilgamesh's motivations are narrowed down to chasing an ideal fantasy like Shirou.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm pretty sure Gi's Vimana was destroyed in the dog fight against F/Z Berserker.

Strangely I think all of Gil's stuff can't get destroyed. Enkidu was destroyed at least once this route (against Berserker) and yet he still has and uses it.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 21, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the idea that pulling out Ea was the only real moment of seriousness Gil could even afford in that fight, Shirou was pressuring him so badly, and Gil STILL hesitates to draw it. He didn't have time to bust out the armor in time, he didn't have time to bust anything else out. Just shoot swords and survive.

I really do like Fate/Stay Night's Gilgamesh. His head is up his own rear end for good reason, he can beat literally anyone else in the war if he so chooses to do so, but there are still some things he respects and possibly even fears. His treatment of Ea, his begrudging respect for Shirou catching him off guard, despite how dickish he is to drat near everyone else, it's just great. Gilgamesh is a fun villain.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shinjobi posted:

I like the idea that pulling out Ea was the only real moment of seriousness Gil could even afford in that fight, Shirou was pressuring him so badly, and Gil STILL hesitates to draw it. He didn't have time to bust out the armor in time, he didn't have time to bust anything else out. Just shoot swords and survive.

I really do like Fate/Stay Night's Gilgamesh. His head is up his own rear end for good reason, he can beat literally anyone else in the war if he so chooses to do so, but there are still some things he respects and possibly even fears. His treatment of Ea, his begrudging respect for Shirou catching him off guard, despite how dickish he is to drat near everyone else, it's just great. Gilgamesh is a fun villain.

Yeah I like the idea that he isn't a "Shinji with actual power" but is someone who whom the title Heroic Spirit truly does apply to.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Tomokazu Seki chewing the scenery is great too.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm just glad they kept the line where he's trying to pull himself out of the void using Shirou as an anchor, it's one of my favorite character moments for Gil.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

taser rates posted:

I'm just glad they kept the line where he's trying to pull himself out of the void using Shirou as an anchor, it's one of my favorite character moments for Gil.

I loving lost it during that part. I actually thought he was trying to drag Shirou in with him, but the truth is far funnier. A+

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

AlternateNu posted:

I will say, I liked how they animated Gil hesitating in pulling out Ea right before he got de-armed. Was that written into the VN?

I thought that was a really cool moment too. Just couldn't bear to have to use his favorite toy on a mere human...

Poor guy knows he hosed up...

e: I got a little tired of Deus Ex Archer, but it was satisfying to see a little comeuppance

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 21, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What would have happened if it did get out? The Grail is no more and presumably will eventually be dismantled and Gil doesn't have the mana to keep running around. Does he just kill Shirou, heal his arm and wander around?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
drat, there is a ton of good gifs on Tumblr to post, but I'll just wait until tomorrow (that way I can pick and choose the ones I think look best)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

What would have happened if it did get out? The Grail is no more and presumably will eventually be dismantled and Gil doesn't have the mana to keep running around. Does he just kill Shirou, heal his arm and wander around?

Gil has a physical body, he could kill Shirou and run off to lick his wounds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

He could just do like he did to survive all the time between F/Z and F/SN?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rodyle posted:

Gil has a physical body, he could kill Shirou and run off to lick his wounds.

This was what I meant when I used "running around" vs "wandering around"; he needs mana to use his NP's. So he can't really do much, and such an aimless existence seems like one he wouldn't really enjoy.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

This was what I meant when I used "running around" vs "wandering around"; he needs mana to use his NP's. So he can't really do much, and such an aimless existence seems like one he wouldn't really enjoy.
He'd probably find people to eat for energy.

People only exist to support their King, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
It's not really shown or explained in UBW but Gilgamesh isn't really a servent tied to any master. He just hung out with kotomine because they were bros. More importantly, Kotomine kept a secret basement where Gilgamesh would eat the souls of child orphans Kotomine would supply, for that purpose, to restore his mana pool.

Without that he'd probably just go find some other random people to eat and heal up with.

Also episode was great.

• Locked thread