Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

They'll have to restrict it, I think. There's probably going to be pop culture reference mods, and loads of adult mods and other poo poo that can't fly on the console market.

Todd Howard said on a thing last week that he wanted to let console owners to gently caress themselves silly with mods, taking responsibility into their own hands.

Ergo, if you are going to download a mod as a console owner, you better make drat sure it isn't going to brick your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Elder Scrolls games are weird. In some ways they're a huge mechanical upgrade on their predecessors but they're also a giant downgrade in other ways too.

Morrowind arguably has the worst combat but it's got the most interesting world, characters, lore, ways to break the game over your knee and a main quest that's actually really kind of interesting and ambiguous, nothing is ever fully spelled out as to whether the protagonist is the Nerevarine or if the prophecy is just bullshit, if Dagoth Ur did betray Nerevar or not etc. Despite being a smaller game world than Oblivion and Skyrim, it feels much larger because the setting is so mystical and alien and yeah, I guess the lovely graphics and draw distance of a game that old helps too.

Oblivion is clunky and buggy. The combat is better but only barely, the characters are forgettable, the lore doesn't fit with the lore of the previous games, the main story is literally about being a delivery boy for the actual hero of the story which might actually have been interesting if you gave a poo poo in the first place, the setting was generic Tolkien-esque fantasy, the levelling system was beyond garbage meaning you had to take sub-optimal skills to level up correctly or you'd screw yourself. Yet I'd also say Oblivion has some of the best quests in the series, granted the Fighter's Guild sucked but the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild are seen as some of the high points in the series.

Skyrim is very flashy and visually interesting but while the game looks like an ocean, the actual depth is that of a puddle. The levelling system of Oblivion got ditched which would be good except now it's been simplified to the point I'd only just barely call it an RPG. The characters are still just as boring and uninteresting as ever, the main story somehow manages to be worse than Oblivion, the setting is more interesting than Oblivion but this time it just cribs from Game of Thrones instead, dungeons are excessively linear and always end up coming back in on it's own entrance somehow, quests are arguably the worst it's ever been in the series. Yet even though everything I said makes it seem worse than Oblivion, I still liked it better than Oblivion and I still don't really know why.

Anyway I'm expecting Fallout 4 to be more like Skyrim. Technically worse than even Fallout 3 and very simple and casual, but somehow more enjoyable than Fallout 3 too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Anyway I'm expecting Fallout 4 to be more like Skyrim. Technically worse than even Fallout 3 and very simple and casual, but somehow more enjoyable than Fallout 3 too.

I don't really know about this, it seems like they're introducing some cool new systems. Unless they've totally gutted skills and stripped SPECIAL of any sort of impact I don't think it could be worse as an RPG. On the other hand it also seems like they're adding in and expanding on systems in Fallout 3.

I just don't expect them to make the combat any more interesting.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sounds like a console scrub didn't have the three mods that made magic badass.

Yeah I only played Skyrim with SPERG and Apocalypse Spells so leveling and magic felt pretty great and if anything I was the one who was overpowered and bullet-spongey. Nothing could touch me and everything died if I so much as looked at it. After several dozen hours I guess I got bored, but it was pretty awesome until then.

Though that made me realize that Fallout 4 isn't going to ship with the SPERG equivalent mod :ohdear:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Of the main three most recent TES games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Morrowind's definitely the hardest to get into--chief among the complaints is the classic Level 1 Mudcrab whiffing. However, I appreciate that the plot can walk a fine line between having enough momentum to keep the player moving forward in the main plot and encouraging side jobs and exploration. You're frequently told to do research and seek out NPCs/items/places and work on your cover identity by doing jobs for various faction(s)--and all of these things allow you to go as fast (or as slow) through the main quest as you want while still feeling like you're part of the story.

Oblivion, on the other hand, hits you right out of the gate with all hell breaking loose and the assassination of one of the only people who can supposedly stop the threat. With the Amulet of Kings thrust into your grubby little level 1 hands, your character is basically obligated to stick to the main quest to save the world. Obviously there is nothing stopping you from wandering out into the woods and joining the Fighters Guild or helping random pissants (there's no actual time constraint like, say, finding the water chip in Fallout) but there is a constant sense of urgency that conflicts with the act of doing these things. Why would I go and seek out the Thieves Guild instead of finding Uriel's bastard baby and repelling Oblivion?

Skyrim's not so bad in this regard. Dragons are loose and wrecking havoc, there's a civil war raging, and goosestepping Nazi-elves are doing sinister poo poo...but the plot doesn't really grab you by the collar and tell you to put blinders on so you can save the world. It's a little more "impending doom" than I'd like for an open world game that wants me to go out and discover things and play with my dick, though.

Environmentally, I prefer Morrowind, too. There are so many little hamlets and strange, abandoned forts, hidden cults, and dungeons dotting the landscape that I still occasionally find a new place in return visits to the game. It doesn't smash you over the head with vampires and forbidden god worshipers--you may play the entire game and never find a way to work with the Morag Tong, discover cultists operating out of shrines right beneath your nose, or get attacked by one of the hidden vampire clans. There's a persistently sinister air to the world, like everybody is hiding something, and even ordinary NPCs are getting in over their head with ancient powers when the doors are closed.

Skyrim was a pretty beautiful place, as well, but the world didn't really feel like it was keeping any secrets. It went out of its way to show you everything it had to offer (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but there wasn't any real mystery or fantasy to the setting. You knew what somebody was hiding because the game forced you to see it; you knew somebody was "bad" because the game practically told you so. Morrowind's "secret" guilds felt like you had to genuinely sniff them out, whereas Skyrim had some doofus cornering you to recruit you for the Thieves Guild in the most hamfisted way imaginable.

Oblivion, on the other hand, was one of the most boring RPG environments I've ever experienced. At least Skyrim had the decency to give you frigid mountain wastes and hot springs and underground fluorescent mushroom caves. Oblivion was like 90% castles and forests, and even its "marsh" was just more forest with a few pools of clean, shiny water. Lame-o.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't really know about this, it seems like they're introducing some cool new systems. Unless they've totally gutted skills and stripped SPECIAL of any sort of impact I don't think it could be worse as an RPG. On the other hand it also seems like they're adding in and expanding on systems in Fallout 3.

I just don't expect them to make the combat any more interesting.

You know, people shouted "Minecraft" after the reveal.

In a way I feel they may be right.

In that things point towards the typical RPG systems being less involved, and the atypical systems of crafting and building gaining prominence. I don't know if it's a wrong decision - but it seems like it's moving the game away from the hardcore RPG crowd, and closer to the desires of the ***filthy casuals*** with their ***stupid desire*** of having an easy to approach game with sandbox gameplay, where the actual plot is of secondary importance.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

morrowind had very little filler. for example, it had 9 full factions plus smaller ones like the morag tong and twin lamps and bal molagmar

skyrim and oblivion had like 3. and i even liked skyrim

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

to be perfectly honest the actual rule system has basically nothing to do with the quality of an RPG

like i mean i'd probably pay someone money for a game that used second edition ad&d in tyool 2015 but that's because i'm an idiot and hate myself

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sounds like a console scrub didn't have the three mods that made magic badass.

This was a joke but it's worth noting that while the games might have gutted mechanics compared to their predecessors, I feel like the actual framework of the game gets better and thus allows mods to do things that simply wouldn't be possible in previous iterations of the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Then again, I just need to look at your avatar to remind me why Morrowind aged terribly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know, I remember running into plenty of guys with ridiculously expensive equipment. Maybe it was less pronounced than in Oblivion, but it was by no means eliminated. Though to be fair - New Vegas was even worse about it, with random tribals and raiders wearing top of the line equipment once you passed a certain level threshold.

The only level scaling I remember is that the crypts would have a lot more higher level characters.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

Oblivion is more immediately approachable and understandable than Morrowind, which goes a long way. I'm perfectly aware that Morrowind is way better than Oblivion, but I still can't bring myself to play it because of the combat. I'd probably love it if I had played it in its time, though.

You should probably check out morroblivion then.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Daggerfall had an amazing spell system but everything else was very broken. Morrowind had the best story, excellent factions (mage ones were great), cool setting and was possible the most interesting game Bethesda ever made.

Skyrim was fairly polished (talking about PC only) but even with mods wasn't as good as modded Morrowind. Lack of quest markings, lack of fast travel to an extent (there were other transportation options to be fair and there were mods to allow multiple Mark spell locations) and need to figure out things were what made Morrowind great.

Yeah combat was crappy (better with mods) but everything else was much better. That said I played and enjoyed all the mainline Bethesda games and looking very much toward Fallout 4. I would not be saying same of I was a console gamer though as vanilla Bethsoft games are not great. So maybe mods for Xbone and PS4 will let console gamers experience even better Fallout/Elder Scrolls.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I never understood why some people think Daggerfall is the best game in the series myself. It's very ambitious, I'll give it that but the game flat out doesn't work. Almost every game mechanic is broken in some way either through poor design or bugs, some quests are impossible to complete because dungeons are randomly generated in a way that the quest item can be in a room with no way to get to it without cheats, you'll fall through the floor many times and the final dungeon doesn't look surreal so much as it does completely unfinished.

Cheat mode being enabled is practically required to beat the game if only so you can salvage your character when the game bugs out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

oblomov posted:

Skyrim was fairly polished (talking about PC only) but even with mods wasn't as good as modded Morrowind. Lack of quest markings, lack of fast travel to an extent (there were other transportation options to be fair and there were mods to allow multiple Mark spell locations) and need to figure out things were what made Morrowind great.

With mods like Realistic Needs and Diseases, Alternate Start, and Frostfall, Skyrim is basically a fantasy first person cold weather survival game for me. I don't even touch the main quest.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lord Lambeth posted:

You should probably check out morroblivion then.

Holding out for SkyWind or whatever the hell it was called.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

epicaricacy posted:

These trailers have never make me want to drink the poop water and get rad poisoning more than I want it now.

I want a quest to find whoever it is that seems to poo poo shotgun shells

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I never understood why some people think Daggerfall is the best game in the series myself. It's very ambitious, I'll give it that but the game flat out doesn't work. Almost every game mechanic is broken in some way either through poor design or bugs, some quests are impossible to complete because dungeons are randomly generated in a way that the quest item can be in a room with no way to get to it without cheats, you'll fall through the floor many times and the final dungeon doesn't look surreal so much as it does completely unfinished.

Cheat mode being enabled is practically required to beat the game if only so you can salvage your character when the game bugs out.

I can't remember anyone in this thread saying Daggerfall is the best but I agree with you.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Guys, seriously! Can't we all just calm down and just agree Beth is terrible....at, like seriously, everything?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back Hack posted:

Guys, seriously! Can't we all just calm down and just agree Beth is terrible....at, like seriously, everything?

No.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Back Hack posted:

They're very good at making fun games that sell incredible amounts of copies.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

even when bethesda games are bad theyre still better than most of their ilk

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

cd project red beat them at their own game, but they pretty much beat everybody at their own game at this point

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

They're very good at making bad games that sell incredible amounts of copies.

ftfy

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Sharkopath posted:

They're very good at making fun games that sell incredible amounts of copies.

The constituent parts range from meh to terrible, but the concepts and experience loving rock.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, but I wish I could play as a lizard man in Fallout, because is they primary reason want to play Skyrim.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think most reasonable people could agree that Fallout 3 and Oblivion are not very good though. Fallout 3 gets a pass for providing the framework and most of the assets needed to make New Vegas, one of my favorite games of all time.

Also I liked Skyrim, never played Morrowind or Daggerfall.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

cd project red beat them at their own game, but they pretty much beat everybody at their own game at this point

witcher 3 is a great RPG but it's not really the same game

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

also dont go pure mage in morrowind. especially not first try. just use longblade as a major skill for your sanity
once you learn how to abuse alchemy though, you can go full magic :unsmigghh:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

witcher 3 is a great RPG but it's not really the same game

Dunno, they've managed to combine massive overworld maps, with a world map and then also make a fun game with fun/engaging story stuff on top of that. Oh yea and it looks absolutely amazing. Witcher 3 is pretty much what the next elder scrolls game will be after mods and if they knew how to write things

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Witcher 3 even has weird ragdolling and horse riding glitches.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mr Tastee posted:

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, but I wish I could play as a lizard man in Fallout, because is they primary reason want to play Skyrim.

do you mind if it has a large dick because im sure there are mods for fallout 3 and new vegas that let you play a big dicked lizardman

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

once you learn how to abuse alchemy though, you can go full magic :unsmigghh:

yeah but that aint advice for a first time player my friend

youre right though

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

once you learn how to abuse alchemy though, you can go full magicEnchanting, the only magic skill you'll ever need :unsmigghh:
Enchanting and Alchemy were so hilariously broken that they're still the closest a game released on will ever get to having console commands, Daikatana 64 nonwithstanding.

Has anyone at Bethesda ever provided a reason for why they don't have Krikbride on retainer to sperg out and give a little bit of life to their dishwater games?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

Enchanting and Alchemy were so hilariously broken that they're still the closest a game released on will ever get to having console commands, Daikatana 64 nonwithstanding.

Has anyone at Bethesda ever provided a reason for why they don't have Krikbride on retainer to sperg out and give a little bit of life to their dishwater games?

i believe he was an extremely prolific drunk. i read somewhere hes still part of the es braintrust though

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Bethesda games are good, and are even better with mods.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if they absolutely have to add level scaling they should make it increase the number of enemies instead of the strength . which I guess they could actually do now that modern consoles don't have a tiny amount of ram???

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I actually really liked Skyrim. No Morrowind for atmosphere but good combat and decent worldbuilding.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

Bethesda games are only good after with mods.

I'm pity and cynical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Hmm. No, I'm pretty sure I had fun with Oblivion, FO3, FONV and Skyrim even before mods.

• Locked thread