Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most sidequests are picked up from the same place (a quest board type thing in town) so that at least has improved. More sidequests actually have real plotlines attached, with some of them actually causing permanent changes to the world (supposedly?). I haven't really hear much complaining about quest design, probably because sidequesting is actually the focal point this time around so they put more effort into it.

I can confirm that this is a thing.

Also, I love that there are people who have decided the game is trash after watching it for a bit on Twitch. As someone who has played and finished the game, I feel safe saying that anyone who likes fun and cool games should look forward to playing Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fun and Cool Video Game for the Nintendo Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Above poster is my hero.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Have they fixed the part of the game where the HUD takes up too much of the screen and the combat is booty?

The HUD is pretty big, but I've heard you can turn a lot of it off.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's good to hear, at least.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most sidequests are picked up from the same place (a quest board type thing in town) so that at least has improved. More sidequests actually have real plotlines attached, with some of them actually causing permanent changes to the world (supposedly?). I haven't really hear much complaining about quest design, probably because sidequesting is actually the focal point this time around so they put more effort into it.

Also if you didn't do a bunch of sidequests you wouldn't get your relationship web nice and full of good relationships and that was just unacceptable to me. That was the one true reason I did all those boring Xenoblade quests. Too bad that game had like only one good sidequestline (Nopon drug ring) though.

Well, that's something. Trying to locate quest givers in Alcamoth or the Nopon city is something no one should ever be subjected

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Honestly the only thing that disappoints me is that the combat isn't quite as twitchy as I originally thought. I was hoping for something closer to Phantasy Star Online 2 combat.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's a reason why FF14 was remade from the ground up to salvage it, FF15 is actually looking great and the good director is the one involved in it and why FF7 is being remade, FF13 Trilogy shat the bed so hard that Square is doing everything to make it good again.

Er, i really need to start paying attention to the E3 stuff. Holy poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kin posted:

Er, i really need to start paying attention to the E3 stuff. Holy poo poo.

There's going to be a sequel to Nier and its being made by Platinum.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

There's going to be a sequel to Nier and its being made by Platinum.

im new and why is this a big deal

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A crazy man keeps getting square enix to hand him money and a devteam to make weird games that don't sell.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Two negatives make a positive right?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Motto posted:

A crazy man keeps getting square enix to hand him money and a devteam to make weird games that don't sell.

Taro Yoko is my hero and I will buy all of his games +OSTs for Eternity.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nier is a brilliant, brilliant game that didn't sell at all and was weirdly undervalued by critics. No one would have expected a sequel.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Think...if a new Mega Man series was being made by Platinum.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

I thought they stopped making Final Fantasy 13 games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Patch just announced for the JP version.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ax5j/update/index.html?_ga=1.121109192.1754726317.1436932582

e: Based on a run through Google translate, it's mainly concerned with equipment organization and aspects of the Union system; disappointing since I was hoping they'd fix a pretty glaring issue I'd heard about with regards to the quest system (Affinity Quests cannot be canceled, and you can't accept Story Quests while one is active).

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 15, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I haven't played Xenoblade in like a year, and instead of starting up again from the start and burning out, I'm probably going to pick up where I left off. If it's not too much effort, can somebody give me a quick refresher about what happens in Alcamoth? I remember the story pretty well, but I'm just about to head into Prison Island and I don't entirely remember the most recent stuff. Melia is princess and now legal heir. Her brother is cool. Alviss is some court seer and possibly working with the Emperor's High Entia consort who tried to murder Melly.

I'm mostly forgetting the big plot relevant stuff. All I recall is that the Bionis is coming back to life and that means doom, but I feel like there's something else I'm forgetting. I'm just about to head into Prison Island to give context.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jsor posted:

I haven't played Xenoblade in like a year, and instead of starting up again from the start and burning out, I'm probably going to pick up where I left off. If it's not too much effort, can somebody give me a quick refresher about what happens in Alcamoth? I remember the story pretty well, but I'm just about to head into Prison Island and I don't entirely remember the most recent stuff. Melia is princess and now legal heir. Her brother is cool. Alviss is some court seer and possibly working with the Emperor's High Entia consort who tried to murder Melly.

I'm mostly forgetting the big plot relevant stuff. All I recall is that the Bionis is coming back to life and that means doom, but I feel like there's something else I'm forgetting. I'm just about to head into Prison Island to give context.

High Emperor Dude went to Prison Island to help Shulk despite knowing he's probably gonna die because he's just that cool with Shulk.

Shulk does not want this to happen.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Have they said one way or another if they're adding Xenoblade to the Wii U store?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have they said one way or another if they're adding Xenoblade to the Wii U store?

They rarely announce that a game is coming until right before it does, and they never announce that a game isn't coming at all. So no, they haven't said anything.

It may get a digital Wii U release eventually, but probably not for a good long while.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

they wouldn't ever do this because it makes too much sense, instead they'll just make a spiritual sequal anime game with giant robots and little girls in bikinis

edit: also forget the charming original english voice actors, they would probably recast them with fun hip american voice actors instead.
edit2: yes im a salty little baby bitch

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 19, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blackdog420 posted:

they wouldn't ever do this because it makes too much sense, instead they'll just make a spiritual sequal anime game with giant robots and little girls in bikinis

This is a very apt description of Xenoblade Chronicles for the Nintendo Wii and -,'new',- Nintendo 3DS.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 19, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I say I want Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U, but then I remember i'll have to use the Wiimote and i'm just not ready for that sort of commitment.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

katkillad2 posted:

Or maybe they have watched several hours of gameplay watching the Japanese play the full version on twitch? Good VA wasn't going to save this poo poo game.

I've kept myself from watching the game too much but from what I did watch, and a bunch of their pseudo-multiplayer things it really seems like XBCX is also being done as a testbed for make a Xeno(blade) MMO. The combat system and UI are pretty much MMO-styled already.

I said come in! posted:

I say I want Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U, but then I remember i'll have to use the Wiimote and i'm just not ready for that sort of commitment.

Buy a gamepad pro if you can't use your Wii gamepad with your Wii U (I can for Mario Kart :shrug:).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I said come in! posted:

If it turns out that one day, you can buy it on the eShop, you can use the GamePad with it as a classic controller. It's not gonna be for a while though since Xenoblade 3D was just a few months ago.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

wiimote and nunchuk is easily the best control scheme for xenoblade. there's no pointer controls, and it lets you sit comfortably as you enjoy the beautiful anime british robot story

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

This is a very apt description of Xenoblade Chronicles for the Nintendo Wii and -,'new',- Nintendo 3DS.

The first half is

There's nothing "little" about Sharla

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's nothing "little" about Sharla

plot relevance

combat damage

me liking her

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I hate having to wait for December for X.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Terper posted:

combat damage

Drive Boost, Thunder Bullet, Thunder Bullet, Thunder Bullet, Thunder Bullet, Head Shot, Cool Off, repeat.

I mained Sharla while grinding affinity and she is actually capable of dealing a ton of damage fairly quickly with the right gem setup. The problem is that her AI behaves too defensively and there's really no reason to play as her over the other characters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crabtree posted:

I hate having to wait for December for X.

I'm willing to put off the pain that is the Xenoblade combat system for as long as I can, thanks

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Doesn't Sharla have the ability to one shot the hardest non story boss in the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharla is one of the most poorly designed characters in an RPG period and probably the most poorly designed who isn't just utterly worthless. She actively detracts from the combat system and gameplay and makes the game worse to play which is a fairly impressive achievement. The fact that she renders it borderline impossible for you to die isn't necessarily a positive in this case.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sharla is one of the most poorly designed characters in an RPG period and probably the most poorly designed who isn't just utterly worthless. She actively detracts from the combat system and gameplay and makes the game worse to play which is a fairly impressive achievement. The fact that she renders it borderline impossible for you to die isn't necessarily a positive in this case.

There's a huge contrast between her and Riki in how they interact with the battle system, it's pretty impressive. Sharla's made for a standard RPG, but Riki's the number one perfect fit for Xenoblade.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sharla is cool

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sharla is probably the character with the most voiced lines containing the name "Juju" so she's by default the second worst character in the game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TheManSeries posted:

Doesn't Sharla have the ability to one shot the hardest non story boss in the game?

She can nail the level 99 Demon King Dragonia in one of the Colony 6 quests with a single Head Shot. I think all of the proverbial "superbosses" are immune to it.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Sharla is probably the character with the most voiced lines containing the name "Juju" so she's by default the second worst character in the game.

I could really use a shower right now!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Juju is the final boss of Xenoblade X, and I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but that was a lie.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Waiting for Gadolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Gadolt and Juju are really bottom tier names compared to the rest of the cast

Even loving Shulk and Reyn roll off the tongue easier

• Locked thread