Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The MSJ posted:

It's like he never stopped being everyone's favorite slasher-monster-turned-hero robot.

I like the unintentional Total Recall callback ("You think this is the real Arnold?").

Why make so many varieties of this. Like just as a single poster it's kind of stark and doesn't tell me about the movie at all but even if I encountered three of these posters in succession I wouldn't notice they were different people's hands.
Are they expecting me to identify actors by their hands? how? Are the thinking someone might not just like one of these mostly featureless grey posters but several different ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Acne Rain posted:

Why make so many varieties of this. Like just as a single poster it's kind of stark and doesn't tell me about the movie at all but even if I encountered three of these posters in succession I wouldn't notice they were different people's hands.
Are they expecting me to identify actors by their hands? how? Are the thinking someone might not just like one of these mostly featureless grey posters but several different ones?

Not actors hands but showing a hand gesture done by people of various walks of life (easy to see that some hands are young, some old, some dirty some clean etc) means that there is something uniting in that symbol. It's a bit minimalist for my taste but the idea behind it is pretty sharp.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

Movie posters aren't made for display any more. They're made quickly and to be posted en masse just as they have been in this thread for people to talk about.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Madkal posted:

Not actors hands but showing a hand gesture done by people of various walks of life (easy to see that some hands are young, some old, some dirty some clean etc) means that there is something uniting in that symbol. It's a bit minimalist for my taste but the idea behind it is pretty sharp.

Bingo. If you're remotely familiar with the book/movies you get that this is the symbol of the resistance. It's not good art (and those aren't good movies), but it says exactly what it wants to say.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

muscles like this? posted:

People say that every year, just like how every Marvel movie that comes out is going to be the one that flops.

A man can dream though...a man can dream.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noxville posted:

Movie posters aren't made for display any more. They're made quickly and to be posted en masse just as they have been in this thread for people to talk about.

Has any of these posters even seen in the wild? I don't even know what I'd think if I saw this set in public.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Bingo. If you're remotely familiar with the book/movies you get that this is the symbol of the resistance. It's not good art (and those aren't good movies), but it says exactly what it wants to say.

I actually kind of like the hunger games movies, but the hand gesture thing is soul crushingly cheesy so those posters totally turn me off.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Has any of these posters even seen in the wild? I don't even know what I'd think if I saw this set in public.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol at France.

"What an ugly loving poster. Display it flat on a roof so no one'll have to look at that poo poo."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They should probably put the movie title somewhere on the poster. I thought it was a sequel to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I actually like the display in Bogota. It suits the 'resistance uprising' thing.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
So what movie are those finger posters advertising?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Star Trek 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

effectual posted:

They should probably put the movie title somewhere on the poster. I thought it was a sequel to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I thought it was a prequel to this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475276/?ref_=nv_sr_3

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Kinda surprised Russia allows the Three Fingers movies. Figured they'd be like China and any anti-government/wealthy movie would be banned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

effectual posted:

Let's be honest, those kind of posters and even putting them up in the real world is just for internet buzz. Actual poster-based advertising will be done with a big flaming metal bird.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's clearly a minimalist Inglourious Basterds poster, these obscure references to incidents in movies is getting out of hand.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I actually like the display in Bogota. It suits the 'resistance uprising' thing.

The others look a bit too totalitarian like the Russian one. The billposter one looks pretty guerrilla.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kinda surprised Russia allows the Three Fingers movies. Figured they'd be like China and any anti-government/wealthy movie would be banned.

The Hunger Games is about overthrowing a totalitarian USA, Russia probably loves the hell out of that movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any movies that have gay characters but don't specifically condemn homosexuality are probably banned under the gay propaganda law. Andrey Zvyagintsev's film Leviathan also caused some outrage in Russia for it's portrayal of Russians as foul mouthed vodka swilling louts(and also shows the government as incompetent and corrupt). Following Leviathan the Ministry of Culture made some plans to ban all "anti-Russian" films that defile the national culture, even ones made by Russians.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any movies that have gay characters but don't specifically condemn homosexuality are probably banned under the gay propaganda law.

Wait, so I can have a movie loaded with LGBTQ characters, but as long as I have a 10 second scene with a radical fundie street preacher condemning gays, then it would be okay with the Russian government?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any movies that have gay characters but don't specifically condemn homosexuality are probably banned under the gay propaganda law. Andrey Zvyagintsev's film Leviathan also caused some outrage in Russia for it's portrayal of Russians as foul mouthed vodka swilling louts(and also shows the government as incompetent and corrupt). Following Leviathan the Ministry of Culture made some plans to ban all "anti-Russian" films that defile the national culture, even ones made by Russians.

It seems specifically to censor Russian directors.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Young Freud posted:

Wait, so I can have a movie loaded with LGBTQ characters, but as long as I have a 10 second scene with a radical fundie street preacher condemning gays, then it would be okay with the Russian government?

WHAT A COUNTRY

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm okay with this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Young Freud posted:

As long as you made sure to have at least one shot that was over 8 minutes long and at least one scene where two men drunkenly discuss philosophy than it would be a surefire hit in Russia.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

As long as you made sure to have at least one shot that was over 8 minutes long and at least one scene where two men drunkenly discuss philosophy than it would be a surefire hit in Russia.

Sorry, that's not Russia, that's the old Soviet Union, when they actually cared about such things as plot, direction, and philosophy. This is what modern Russian audiences want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3AXBdfZidY

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Young Freud posted:

Sorry, that's not Russia, that's the old Soviet Union, when they actually cared about such things as plot, direction, and philosophy. This is what modern Russian audiences want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3AXBdfZidY

So the same thing as modern American audiences?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yodzilla posted:

I'm okay with this.

A Million Ways was a shitpile, but Ted was way better than it had any right to be and the trailers look pretty funny (and that poster rules), so I guess they've got my rear end in a seat.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How illegal is it to own a copy of Rocky IV in Russia?

Follow-up: did 80's Red Dawn or Die Hard 5 get released there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You tellin' me Ted was actually good?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

It actually is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Waffleman_ posted:

God no.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm gettin' mixed messages here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

Do you want to see an episode of Family Guy that's just Peter and Brian and it has a schmaltzy ending?

If so, first, punch your dick off. Then enjoy your lovely movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Do you want to see an episode of Family Guy that's just Peter and Brian and it has a schmaltzy ending?

If so, first, punch your dick off. Then enjoy your lovely movie.

This is what I figured it was.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That Ted 2 poster feels like a visual representation of one of the insufferable parts of Family Guy - hey, remember that thing from the 80s that you liked?

Also, here's a boss Sicario poster.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

When did Benicio del Toro get all those face tatts?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

That Ted 2 poster feels like a visual representation of one of the insufferable parts of Family Guy - hey, remember that thing from the 80s that you liked?

Also, here's a boss Sicario poster.

This looks like poo poo. It just looks low resolution.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

uPen posted:

So the same thing as modern American audiences?

Pretty much. The post-Soviet new Russian Hollywood has kinda brought things down to the lowest common denominator, especially since Russian films now have to compete with foreign media.

Vagabundo posted:

That's pretty much Sam Jones' role in the first film feels like. I like Flash Gordon, but come on, there's better ways to play homage to it. It's not like Jones' even needs the money, he has runs a private security company. In fact, he prefers not to even bring up Flash Gordon professionally, since potential clients get kinda anxious trusting their life to a guy who played football against space men.

Mister Chief posted:

This looks like poo poo. It just looks low resolution.

And yet it isn't, since the Cannes selection and other text are much sharper. It's supposed to represent the ink bleeding.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

I'm biased because I love Flash Gordon so this hit all the right spots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miU6ruUPZHI