Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
For the Civic: Oil change, tire rotation, checked other fluids, and made sure all the tires were at the right psi. Now I just gotta find someone willing to raise it on a lift and change out the manual transmission fluid in exchange for some cash and everything should be good for a while.

For the old truck: that poo poo's sitting because it doesn't have AC and after 10am it is way too loving hot. I guess at some point I should kill the ants that found the old biscuit wrappers, but in the mean time I'm probably just confusing the gently caress out of them.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Put new spark plugs in the old truck, seems a little better now on a test spin through the neighborhood.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Welp. Found out my windshield seal was a leakin' all over the backside of my gauge cluster. Every ground and connection was corroded to poo poo. No wonder my gas gauge read half full all the time and using the blinkers made my RPM drop by 700. I got some LEDs to throw in there, but some of the positions had plastic lenses inside that the LED's were too tall for. Unfortunately some chucklehead had replaced all of my bulbs with ones that drew 1W extra and painted red, melting a bunch of the plastics. This also means I did not have replacement bulbs on hands for the spots the LEDs would not fit. I got some fluid film on the cans and took scotch brite followed with deoxit to all of the terminals and bulb sockets.

Soo I moved on to my rad rear end exhaust collectors, and welded in a bung for a wideband O2 sensor for... fun projects. I am going to add an egt bung to both of those so I can get a rad dual sweep gauge, but I misplaced them temporarily. I started off making nice, tight little welds with the new MIG my brother got, but was worried about leaks impacting my readings. The welds penetrated , but rolled over and left a little gap on the pipe side so I decided to shore them up, and I turned them into big, globby poo poo. I was pretty disappointed and didn't take any more pictures. Here's a fun shot halfway through.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oil/filter change. I think this is the lowest mileage the oil change reminder has ever gone off, around 7900. But it's been doing a lot more idling too.

Got Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus, just like the last oil change. It had lost about half a quart between changes, but it looks like the valve cover gasket is seeping pretty good. I'd forgotten I'd put a Fram :doh: Tough Guard filter in it last time; figured their cartridge filters could be decent. After seeing the filter, I wish I'd gotten a sample of the oil for Blackstone; the filter element was literally crushed in sections. Didn't look ripped, but it was definitely the worst filter I've pulled out of this engine, and looked like it really didn't hold up at all. Nothing particularly ugly came out with the oil, at least.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My Miata had no auto up/down on the original power window switch and considering how slow my drivers side regulator is anyway I decided to get a later switch which did have auto.

The connectors are actually a straight fit and if you get an earlier one with the original length pigtail you only have remove the old one and plug the new one in. Unfortunately I could only find a much later one with the short pigtail so I had to cannibalize the original but it did make a good excuse to buy a new crimper as my cheapo one didn't have the right grooves. I actually kinda like the original design a little better but the new one looks a lot cleaner with the markings intact. Not bad for about $1.

Bonus: Ultra simple circuit for the original switch.

In the ongoing process of updating Miata I also have to find time to paint these:

I love the smell of auctions in the morning! :japan:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just bought a set of four-hole injectors for my 4.0. Hope it solves the minor stumbling at idle that it has had for a long time. Too much :effort: to sit there and do flow testing and this should be cheaper than throwing a new coil rail at it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Just after my last drop i got a brake pad warning on the van. Got it back to my workshop and found one front wheel spun freely and the other didn't. Found a seized brake caliper slider pin, it wore out one single brake pad. There goes another £75. :argh:

Also, booked it in to be remapped. Really i want to kill off EGR and the DPF/Regen poo poo. When it goes into regen it drives like poo poo and smokes like gently caress. (hollow filter)

Got told "I'd expect it to see about 215bhp." (163 standard)

:hawaaaafap:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stripped and polished the hood

so shiny. so chrome.

I got way to agressive on paint removal, so it looks pretty terrible, but still way better than what was there.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Started going through some stuff on the El Camino. Both the oil pressure and water temp senders are unplugged, it took two quarts to even get a reading on the dip stick for the trans, and the engine lost about two quarts on the trip home. It's gonna be a good summer! :v:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Started going through some stuff on the El Camino. Both the oil pressure and water temp senders are unplugged, it took two quarts to even get a reading on the dip stick for the trans, and the engine lost about two quarts on the trip home. It's gonna be a good summer! :v:

That's just a small blocks way of constantly flushing fluids. Also on those old small blocks make sure the engine is HOLY poo poo hot before checking because that torque converter holds a lot of the fluid. But that el camino is beautiful.

Today my jeep decided to stop wiping the windows on the intermittent speed. And of course my grand Cherokee doesn't have a module that controls it. NO its all built into the expensive wiper stalk. So it got replaced.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

Stripped and polished the hood

Ha, nice. How blind are you when you drive it in the daytime now, though?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha, nice. How blind are you when you drive it in the daytime now, though?

You can barely even see it from inside :(

In daylight, you really can't even tell it's metal, it just looks like well polished paint. Twilight/night though it really starts to look neat because it almost glows. When it gets wet it looks neat too. because the water beads into little droplets and makes it look hazy, then once you start moving they start forming larger drops and sliding around making clear lines.

I still want to do it to an entire 2015 f-150. It would be a whole fuckton of work, but with the proper tools(ie waterproof sanding discs) it could get it to a pretty good shine. Here i think i warped the hood in a few places because the only sanding disks i had basically melted when they touched water, so i had to sand dry which meant moving around a lot or small spots getting really hot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just use aircraft stripper to do the stripping next time, then polish it afterward.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Just use aircraft stripper to do the stripping next time, then polish it afterward.

I tried aircraft remover, it wouldn't even touch the layer of factory paint.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's quite impressive. It has stripped everything I ever tried it on, though I've not tried it on auto paint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had plastidip on the grille surround because paint wouldn't directly stick to the faux-chrome, and it partially stripped it. I also slapped my most useless paint on the grille center, so it's pretty much a rolls royce now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

I had plastidip on the grille surround because paint wouldn't directly stick to the faux-chrome, and it partially stripped it. I also slapped my most useless paint on the grille center, so it's pretty much a rolls royce now.

3d print a Spirit of Ecstasy and slap it on to complete the look.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

3d print a Spirit of Ecstasy and slap it on to complete the look.

I think you mean spraypaint a barbie,

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

If it's chrome spray paint, that'll do.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Powershift posted:

Imperator Furiosa Barbie (but make one better than this. Smiles are bullshit.)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
First I parked on the slope in front of the house, nose up, to hose out the bed. It wasn't especially filthy, but there was enough residue of various "hey it's a truck! I can put nasty rotten poo poo and dirty crap back here!" events that it was overdue. I really need to take the canopy off and give it a good cleaning, but :effort:

Then I installed a new stereo head unit.
Ranger Stereo Swap 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The OEM unit was a tape deck, and the adaptor I bought just wasn't doing it for me anymore - using my tablet for tunes means too much (distracted) messing around to skip songs or pause or whatever. I've just finished putting about 7.5 gigs onto a usb stick, that should keep me rockin' for a while.

If I get extra-motivated I might attack the interior of the cab with the vacuum cleaner, it's pretty grim in there.

EDIT: I found some motivation, somewhere (in a glass of wine, I think, surprisingly) and "cleaned" the interior. I tried to take the seats out but I don't have my socket set here and the adjustable wrench was just rounding off the bolts so I smacked it with the vacuum cleaner. The PO had had something explode in the middle of the back of the cab, looked like oil, and I managed to spread the stain out (Armor All General Purpose Spray - pretty good stuff) enough that it's not quite so obnoxiously ugly in there, at least. Then my neighbour saw what I was doing and I ended up sitting next to his firepit trading stories about horrible workplace tragedies for the evening, drinking beer. Good times.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 21, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bought it some new swag, I've been eyeing a D-shaped steering wheel for quite a while now, and a local subaru owner is parting out his mods so snatched one up for a good price.

(pic for reference)

Bye bye $400 canadian funbucks (New this wheel can be had ~$700 after taxes, shipping, and exchange rate, only available from the US and the exchange rate is pretty lovely nowadays) Just doing a leatherique treatment on it to make it factory fresh and throwing it on the Baja tomorrow.

YAY, I'm so excited. A steering wheel with actual high quality leather and great support for your hands is going to be great!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Bajaha posted:

Bought it some new swag, I've been eyeing a D-shaped steering wheel for quite a while now, and a local subaru owner is parting out his mods so snatched one up for a good price.

(pic for reference)

Bye bye $400 canadian funbucks (New this wheel can be had ~$700 after taxes, shipping, and exchange rate, only available from the US and the exchange rate is pretty lovely nowadays) Just doing a leatherique treatment on it to make it factory fresh and throwing it on the Baja tomorrow.

YAY, I'm so excited. A steering wheel with actual high quality leather and great support for your hands is going to be great!
Nice wheel Bajaha!

I had my engine bay cleaned out, as it was a mix of dirt and leaves with a smattering of red...

e: Also the detailer did my badge panel as a test. Check out how different it looks to the bonnet:

The whole car's going to come out like that. Can't wait!

Falken fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 21, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've seen much worse guards red come up just fine - your car should look drat near new when he's done.

Order a new badge for the front also - it's amazing how much better that makes the car look and it's something you just don't really notice.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Covered a terribly rusty brush guard with some black plastidip for a truck that will probably never need to brush anything out of its way.

Next mpg killing plan: Spare tire strapped to the roof.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Motronic posted:

I've seen much worse guards red come up just fine - your car should look drat near new when he's done.

Order a new badge for the front also - it's amazing how much better that makes the car look and it's something you just don't really notice.
I was just going to get a new gasket for it, as it's the only thing "bad", but gently caress it. Car deserves a shiny new one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Installed the new fender on my RRC, wondered why my oil light wasn't on any more, so I did a bunch of tracing then took the dash off, checked the lights and then found this.

if you can see by the pointer, its cracked and wasn't making connection. So I grabbed the soldering iron, scratched off the plastic and soldered it all back together. Works perfectly!

But lets talk about the LR3 oil change disaster. On this truck you have to remove 2 skid plates to change the oil... No big deal, start to crack off the bolts.... and the dipshits that changed the oil last time cross threaded 3 bolts, and then must have used a rattle gun to install the drain pan plug. Took a couple blows of a hammer and finally got it off.

Though on the plus side, I put the suspension in off road height and did the oil change with out a jack.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since I still don't have enough saved for a rebuild (I'm still kicking myself for managing to blow the water seals), I decided to clean the windows of my RX4, just to say I've done something to the car this week.

I thought that the glass had gotten a little cloudy. Nope, just god knows how many years of cigarette smoke residue :stare:

Some of it is my fault, but dear god, not all of it

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Took a strong cleaner to the wheels and various metal trim bits to remove some caked on brake dust and tree sap that covered everything after the truck sitting for a year and a half. Now I just have to get the rest of the sap off of the paint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

disassembled half of my fuckin engine bay to get at a bad a/c clutch bearing. i got the clutch, snap ring, and clutch off without trouble from underneath the truck, but there was absolutley no way to get a puller in there without unbolting the rad, fan, and pulling the shroud

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Swapped in a set of four-hole injectors to replace the factory one-hole injectors; instantly improved idle and all around smoothness. Whether or not that's due to a different injector design or just injectors that aren't full of poo poo is a different story.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Changed the front right wheel bearing in the WRX in prep for the SCCARallycross (tm) south east Dixie national challenge or what ever the gently caress it's called.

Put Sport comp 2s on the Miata because they're cheap.

Started ordering power steering parts for the M3 because I've been putting it off for too long. The pump is pretty dead now.

The biggest to do is fixing the girl friend's civic's AC. I think the pressure switch or the clutch is dicked. Haven't figured out which yet.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Sadi posted:

The biggest to do is fixing the girl friend's civic's AC. I think the pressure switch or the clutch is dicked. Haven't figured out which yet.

Going to guess clutch coil. My 07 and a buddies 08 both started intermittent failure this season and I think a weakened coil is the culprit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

rizzo1001 posted:

Going to guess clutch coil. My 07 and a buddies 08 both started intermittent failure this season and I think a weakened coil is the culprit.

Im having similar issues as well with my 07 si. What did a clutch coil replacement end up costing you?

e: maybe I misread, and you havent fixed/had it fixed yet

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

PaintVagrant posted:

Im having similar issues as well with my 07 si. What did a clutch coil replacement end up costing you?

e: maybe I misread, and you havent fixed/had it fixed yet

Coil set is $75 on majestic. I'm currently sweating my balls off, intermittently of course. It looks like the job can be done in a few hours, but as you know it's tight in there (also have an si). Having done the idler pully and the water pump twice (ugh), I might consider changing the clutch set as well. With my luck the bearing will go out the following week...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

rizzo1001 posted:

Coil set is $75 on majestic. I'm currently sweating my balls off, intermittently of course. It looks like the job can be done in a few hours, but as you know it's tight in there (also have an si). Having done the idler pully and the water pump twice (ugh), I might consider changing the clutch set as well. With my luck the bearing will go out the following week...

Yeah, its pretty fuckin tight in there, lol. I found a decent youtube vid of someone replacing it, some crazy canadians who talk about mooses and Tim hortons and swear a lot at how tight the clearances are to get to the compressor clutch. It looks like the biggest pain in the dick is getting the snaprings back in place.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Cage posted:

Covered a terribly rusty brush guard with some black plastidip for a truck that will probably never need to brush anything out of its way.

Next mpg killing plan: Spare tire strapped to the roof.

If you're in the city, it will work great for pedestrians crossing against the lights.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Decided to make the Fit a little more sticky today. TR Motorsports 16x7 wheels with 205/50/16 BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2. Four lb per corner lighter than stock and 20mm wider than the stock 185/55/16 Firestone all-seasons. Now the tires actually fill the wheel wells. I didn't realize a 205 series would be so meaty on this car. Forgive the cropped car pics, I couldn't back up any more in the garage. Better pics when it isn't raining.
Before:

After:

I also have coming tomorrow a Progress rear sway bar to make it more neutral and an AEM intake (more for sound than anything). I have on order an HKS Cool Style exhaust, which it dual tip center exit - the stock exhaust is a down turn behind the bumper and makes me sad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm seeing those new Fits everywhere. New wheels look good but honestly I like the factory ones on that car too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm seeing those new Fits everywhere. New wheels look good but honestly I like the factory ones on that car too.

Interesting, I don't see them around here often. I don't mind the factory wheels, but these have several advantages: lighter, easier to clean, and can handle more width than the poo poo size stock tires which are also very blah in terms of handling. They don't fit the chassis characteristics at all.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 26, 2015