Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I agree anime is bad, but I like this gif. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

This game chef is weird. Write a game for a non-gamer audience, but it'll still be gamers and game designers who are judging it, so... try to appeal to the same audience you usually try to appeal to, while pretending to appeal to a different one, I guess.

It's not to write for a non-gamer audience, just an audience that you normally wouldn't write for. Like, if you're focused on indie narrative games, try making one for the simulationist crowd, stuff like that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Error 404 posted:

I agree anime is bad, but I like this gif. :shobon:

honestly most anime is pretty bad, i just saw an excuse to post it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgf5jaQO9sQ&feature=youtu.be&t=112

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

paradoxGentleman posted:

People who condemn all anime are approximatively 17% worse than people who defend all of it, and I say this as someone who watches exactly one [1] anime.

To bring this back to tabletop games, is there a game that allows you to play monster adventurers better than D&D does? In that game picking a race with a level modifier has a tendency of leaving you behind the curve compared to your human and dwarven companions.
I'd recommend looking up Fantasycraft, it handles races very well

Also for most editions of D&D I'd recommend just ignoring Level Adjustment/Level Limits for most races, never really felt any race is actually strong enough to warrant them

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not to write for a non-gamer audience, just an audience that you normally wouldn't write for. Like, if you're focused on indie narrative games, try making one for the simulationist crowd, stuff like that.

Ah. I see. I wasn't parsing audiences that finely. I feel like breaking down roleplayers into even smaller categories is like trying to peel your apple peel.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty sure God's love wouldn't enter into it.

Allah (All Praise goes to Him) loves all creatures equally as long as they accept him and his rules and I think that women with spider legs or snake tails still can follow the precepts of Islam.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also god(YHWH) is a pretty common Jrpg enemy so that makes god totally monstergirl-able.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

don't shoot me :(

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tollymain posted:

don't shoot me :(

Weeaboos take... three-a-boos to the chest? okay that doesn't work too well but I'm mostly annoyed that I can't find the cops unloading into the werewolf in gif form i detect a distinct pro-furry bias at work

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am currently "playing" Numenera.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am currently "playing" Numenera.

Stop, you fool!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Too late, I'm the fighter.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
What sort of blank glaive who blanks are you?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mechanical Glaive who Masters Weaponry. I can

a) climb
b) stab things

This is a pregen in an investigation-based adventure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When all you have is a glaive...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

a) climb
b) stab things

:catstare:

I expect an after action report.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

drrockso20 posted:

There's a ton of stuff like that available for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG actually(one of the reasons it's one of my favorite games in the OSR movement)

Yes, look into Crawljammer, Metal Gods of Ur-Haddad, Crawling Under a Broken Moon, some of the official adventures (Especially Intrigue at the Court of Chaos, Frozen in Time and Peril on the Purple Planet) some stuff Stormlord Publishing is doing and the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics (they don't have a preview up yet, but they do for an adventure which is most likely for it, Against the Atomic Overlord) for all your weird and awesome retroclone needs.

It's definitely the most vibrant clone or clone-like game. I think if they do another edition they should excise the silly "Thou musteth be familiarith with yon works of Lord Gygax" intro, it gives people the wrong impression. Also the cover, while I like the door on it, could use one of the funkier Doug Kovacs art pieces.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 20, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Well, it could be worse.

You could be playing the Strange in a pre-gen entirely built around Thunder Plains.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, it could be worse.

You could be playing the Strange in a pre-gen entirely built around Thunder Plains.

I'm really curious about what the material Anthony Pastores is writing to replace this is going to look like.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Ran a Dungeon World one shot the other night and one of the players brought his 8 year old son. Kid solved all problems with Magic Missile including unironically attacking the darkness. It was great.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

a) climb
b) stab things

I'm not about to defend Numenera, given that I gave up on that system a good while ago, but as I recall Mechanical alone gives you hedge magic and training in something that I don't remember. The combat-specific foci and the glaive in general are pretty dull though for sure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, once everyone stopped investigating every potential clue and actually started doing poo poo the game went a lot better. Once we actually got to the point where I could kill things I was pretty much hell on wheels.

It's an okay system, but the die mechanic just feels sideways to me. Especially since I had just run World Wide Wrestling before the game. Bit of a tone shift.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I hear DCC is actually pretty good, but I seriously cannot get past that "Halt! If thou desireth not for Erol Otus to cum on thine face, this horseshit is nuncupatory!" thing in the prologue.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

drrockso20 posted:

There's a ton of stuff like that available for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG actually(one of the reasons it's one of my favorite games in the OSR movement)

Picked up a Dungeon Crawl Classics DM screen at Free RPG Day today. Looks pretty slick even if the back of it is full of gibberish numbers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

well I think I found the inspiration I needed for the next game I'll run

Halloween Jack posted:

I hear DCC is actually pretty good, but I seriously cannot get past that "Halt! If thou desireth not for Erol Otus to cum on thine face, this horseshit is nuncupatory!" thing in the prologue.
I find it incredibly silly that people are taking something that is obviously meant to be Tongue-In-Cheek seriously, but really you should ignore that and get into DCC cause it's a pretty incredible system, closest thing to flaws it has are a slightly anemic Monster selection, and being a bit lacking in some of the DM material that other OSR games tend to have(but said material will probably be covered in a third part supplement or in a fan supplement/blog somewhere, that or you can just borrow what you need from another OSR game as they're all pretty compatible when you get down to it)

fosborb posted:

Picked up a Dungeon Crawl Classics DM screen at Free RPG Day today. Looks pretty slick even if the back of it is full of gibberish numbers.

haven't seen the DM Screen in person myself(although it looks incredible) but once you read the actual game it'll make sense, DCC is actually pretty straightforward mechanically for an OSR game(once you get past it using weird dice and being heavily reliant on charts)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

It took TG's OSR thread years to get over that and finally look at DCC seriously. I still find the system too light on DM support for my taste, but it actually is quite good, with class design that's significantly more innovative than a lot of other D&D-likes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It took TG's OSR thread years to get over that and finally look at DCC seriously. I still find the system too light on DM support for my taste, but it actually is quite good, with class design that's significantly more innovative than a lot of other D&D-likes

yeah that was a really pathetic and petty reaction the OSR Thread had to that, also a supplement focusing on some of the missing DM support stuff would be a really good idea

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

One of my favorite things about DCC is that it doesn't cordon off cool poo poo behind barriers that you have to be a certain level to cross. It assumes most people wanting to play the game are tired of fighting goblins. There's a level 1 adventure (Intrigue at the Court of Chaos) that's about bickering chaos gods calling upon the PCs to be their champions. There's another about exploring a Barrier Peaks-esque time-lost installation frozen in a giant glacier, and part of the concept is that the PCs are cavemen, Frozen in Time.

Seriously if you have any interest in old D&D, get over the intro page. Yeah, it's goofy. There are enough grogs who regard Gygax as a religious figure and walk around with the Greyhawk supplement in their breast pocket at all times so the scripture is close to their heart that I totally get the apprehension towards it. But in the end it's dumb goof rather than malicious. I'm not saying it's a perfect game, absolutely not, just that if you've got any interest in the subject matter at all, give it a shot.

Oh and this is more in praise of the community than the game itself, and maybe it's just the people I've played with, maybe I've gotten lucky, but I haven't encountered a single overt, fun ruining grog while playing DCC. All the fun stuff grogs present as examples of bad things? Totally would fly in all the games I've played. One form of "earn your fun" I dig is typical D&D characters getting warped into weirdness through play. I played a typical swordsman who ended up as a Rob Liefeld vigilante type. A monk class I pulled off a blog who became Goku through mastery of the seven sacred martial arts of the cloud temples. Another character who died and became a ghost. I tried to possess another character, failed the roll but the GM ruled that we melded together. I suggested we become some sort of gestalt being so we became a super-character for as long as the two of us could maintain speaking in the collective, as players. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into some guy who only allows Mighty Deeds to be boring trip actions, but until then, I'm having a lot of fun. Someone should make an shonen zine for it or something, I'm sure it would be pretty welcome.

As for the DM screen, it's pretty cool. There's going to be a retail version in a couple months that I believe comes bundled with a mini-adventure and will be on thicker cardstock for $10 but don't quote me on this.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

a slightly anemic Monster selection

DCC wants the monsters to be unique, or at least weird. But sometimes you just don't feel like handcrafting everything. One possible solution for the DCC monster blues (I want to stress for people unfamiliar with the game there totally is a chapter that contains monsters and a generator to help make monsters unique in the book) http://www.rpgnow.com/product/112841/Critters-Creatures--Denizens sadly there's a bunch of dumb charts about running speeds in the back, but those can be easily ignored, and there is a bunch of info for helping to convert monsters from other D&D games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

One of my favorite things about DCC is that it doesn't cordon off cool poo poo behind barriers that you have to be a certain level to cross. It assumes most people wanting to play the game are tired of fighting goblins. There's a level 1 adventure (Intrigue at the Court of Chaos) that's about bickering chaos gods calling upon the PCs to be their champions. There's another about exploring a Barrier Peaks-esque time-lost installation frozen in a giant glacier, and part of the concept is that the PCs are cavemen, Frozen in Time.

Seriously if you have any interest in old D&D, get over the intro page. Yeah, it's goofy. There are enough grogs who regard Gygax as a religious figure and walk around with the Greyhawk supplement in their breast pocket at all times so the scripture is close to their heart that I totally get the apprehension towards it. But in the end it's dumb goof rather than malicious. I'm not saying it's a perfect game, absolutely not, just that if you've got any interest in the subject matter at all, give it a shot.

Oh and this is more in praise of the community than the game itself, and maybe it's just the people I've played with, maybe I've gotten lucky, but I haven't encountered a single overt, fun ruining grog while playing DCC. All the fun stuff grogs present as examples of bad things? Totally would fly in all the games I've played. One form of "earn your fun" I dig is typical D&D characters getting warped into weirdness through play. I played a typical swordsman who ended up as a Rob Liefeld vigilante type. A monk class I pulled off a blog who became Goku through mastery of the seven sacred martial arts of the cloud temples. Another character who died and became a ghost. I tried to possess another character, failed the roll but the GM ruled that we melded together. I suggested we become some sort of gestalt being so we became a super-character for as long as the two of us could maintain speaking in the collective, as players. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into some guy who only allows Mighty Deeds to be boring trip actions, but until then, I'm having a lot of fun. Someone should make an shonen zine for it or something, I'm sure it would be pretty welcome.

As for the DM screen, it's pretty cool. There's going to be a retail version in a couple months that I believe comes bundled with a mini-adventure and will be on thicker cardstock for $10 but don't quote me on this.

mind linking that Monk class, it's entirely possible I already have it saved in my collection of DCC stuff, but I want to be sure of it(I should really get around to finishing that Class List for DCC I was fiddling with a while ago)

Lightning Lord posted:

DCC wants the monsters to be unique, or at least weird. But sometimes you just don't feel like handcrafting everything. One possible solution for the DCC monster blues (I want to stress for people unfamiliar with the game there totally is a chapter that contains monsters and a generator to help make monsters unique in the book) http://www.rpgnow.com/product/112841/Critters-Creatures--Denizens sadly there's a bunch of dumb charts about running speeds in the back, but those can be easily ignored, and there is a bunch of info for helping to convert monsters from other D&D games.

I have that book, and personally I found it pretty mediocre, especially since they try to expand the stats on the monster profiles making them annoying to use(also I'll say this while DCC's magical monster selection is rather lacking, and the absence of Were-Creatures and most Undead besides Skeletons and Zombies is ridiculous, they do at least include all the major Monstrous Humanoid types and put some semi-unique twists on a lot of them, and include a couple somewhat more unique types as well)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

mind linking that Monk class, it's entirely possible I already have it saved in my collection of DCC stuff, but I want to be sure of it(I should really get around to finishing that Class List for DCC I was fiddling with a while ago)

I have that book, and personally I found it pretty mediocre, especially since they try to expand the stats on the monster profiles making them annoying to use(also I'll say this while DCC's magical monster selection is rather lacking, and the absence of Were-Creatures and most Undead besides Skeletons and Zombies is ridiculous, they do at least include all the major Monstrous Humanoid types and put some semi-unique twists on a lot of them, and include a couple somewhat more unique types as well)

This is a pretty complete (well it's 2 years old) list of classes for DCC http://noahms456.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-plethora-of-alternate-classraces-for.html I used Jeremy Deram's monk, which is just listed as monk.

I think that book is useful but I did forget to mention that it did have a lot of mundane animals, one thing to consider.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

This is a pretty complete (well it's 2 years old) list of classes for DCC http://noahms456.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-plethora-of-alternate-classraces-for.html I used Jeremy Deram's monk, which is just listed as monk.

I think that book is useful but I did forget to mention that it did have a lot of mundane animals, one thing to consider.

yup already have that one

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

When putting together a fantasy setting, I would imagine it is natural to take inspiration from the dazzling amount of cultures that populated Earth at some point or another.

But the problem is, what if I am offensive in doing so? Where is the line that, once crossed, will make the setting I want no better then the Thunder Plains? The safe thing to do would be to find someone of that particular descent and ask them, wouldn't it? But that is not always practical, since certain cultural mores can be seen in more than one civilization or period, and how should I handle those?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

When putting together a fantasy setting, I would imagine it is natural to take inspiration from the dazzling amount of cultures that populated Earth at some point or another.

But the problem is, what if I am offensive in doing so? Where is the line that, once crossed, will make the setting I want no better then the Thunder Plains? The safe thing to do would be to find someone of that particular descent and ask them, wouldn't it? But that is not always practical, since certain cultural mores can be seen in more than one civilization or period, and how should I handle those?

Do some research. Try to aim for more modern research, perhaps conducted by a member of that culture, or someone who lives in the area that was influenced by them, if you can find such a source. Also, be specific. Instead of "Africa" make your fantasy setting "Mali, during Sundiata Keita's reign". Then again it's also ok to be broad, but if you're going to blend cultures and historical periods, do so purposefully and after reading about them. If you want to talk to somebody about it, it will help to have the basics down. Also keep in mind that everyone's an individual. No one is really a spokesman for their culture, and what might be alright with one person might not be with another.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 21, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I end up doing a surprising amount of fact-checking when doing my Rifts F&F writeups, and it's hilarious how much of actual real-world material presented in them is wrong or badly researched. And about half the time, it wasn't something hard to find out. All it would have required was just some basic reference-checking, even at the time most of these books were written.

Basically: don't presume, do your homework, and if you make a mistake, own up to it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm currently working on a post-World War 1 setting centered around the League of Nations, and you'd be surprised how much information you can find on the Internet just by searching around. Lots of books from the 90s and before are available for free, though often they're in just plain text so they can be a pain to read. I often start with a Google search or get on Wikipedia and consult the sources they cite, which can then lead to similar books/articles that are usually pretty helpful.

I also recommend going through a local university's directory and seeing if there are any professors who specialize in that field of history. I found an Africana professor who was able to recommend me some books on the Zulu, and all I did was send her an email asking for any advice. Keep it short and simple and I find they're usually happy to help. See if there are any courses being taught on the subject and ask the professor for book recommendations or if you have specific questions they're usually okay with giving an answer.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What I am trying to make isn't fantasy Egypt or fantasy India (although those are both very nice and interesting ideas) but a whole world from scratch, with all its own different civilizations and cultures. I asked because I do intend to borrow some elements of real life cultures while doing it; but I feel that you advice is just as valid in my situation, so thank you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

What I am trying to make isn't fantasy Egypt or fantasy India (although those are both very nice and interesting ideas) but a whole world from scratch, with all its own different civilizations and cultures. I asked because I do intend to borrow some elements of real life cultures while doing it; but I feel that you advice is just as valid in my situation, so thank you.

Its extra valid because irl is almost always stranger than fiction. Making a fantasy expy of x culture is generally ok, but in researching you often find out lesser known cool poo poo that inspires you more than a quick wiki page does.

E: especially when you have multiple cultures clashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

That's cool. I was on a history of mythology class this semester and our assignment was to make a whole civilization from scratch and it was really fun to do so (made an isolated one on the Pacific islands that got stranded from other Polynesians from 50 BC until 1890 when the first European explorers got there).

• Locked thread