Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
My workweek includes Sundays, so I can't watch live. :negative:

Well, I can get Fiesta-ing once it's open to players, at least even if I'm still at work. I got FFV iOS for that exact purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Also, in case anyone was curious as to what battles in the mobile version look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxgpSXnolJk

No Audio. Gonna have to dub in stuff if I decide to record all my boss battles.

oh my god why is everyone swinging their weapons so slow, is this their way of de-incentivizing Dual Wield/Barrage :gonk:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've been wanting to do this for years, so I've decided to go with a Chaos Run and see where it takes me!

Onward!

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Any idea what a chaos run is yet? I hope it re-rolls jobs every crystal or something equally annoying just to dick with everyone.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rogue Lemon posted:

Any idea what a chaos run is yet? I hope it re-rolls jobs every crystal or something equally annoying just to dick with everyone.

that literally wouldn't matter after the first, easiest part of the game

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm ready.

(Just got my face smashed in by Wing Raptor, for next try I'll actually remember to check the equips and heal beforehand :downs:)

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
This looks like a lot of fun. Never played FFV before, so this would be a great way to do it.

Has anyone played the android port before? I'm thinking about grabbing it but I've heard mixed opinions about it.

EDIT: Related more to the gameplay itself, the art style is bearable.

Bloomington fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 21, 2015

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

#regChaos, I should actually be able to participate this year unlike the last couple. Looking forward to playing ff5 for the first time in.... 5 years? And whatever the hell chaos turns out to be.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My sincere hope is that chaos berserker risk will give someone the legendary 4 berserker team

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012

Bloomington posted:

This looks like a lot of fun. Never played FFV before, so this would be a great way to do it.

Has anyone played the android port before? I'm thinking about grabbing it but I've heard mixed opinions about it.

I liked my play through a year ago. Auto battle was very hand for grinding jobs. Only complaint is that is a little awkward scrolling through battle commands.

Do check that it actually works for your phone. The last android update broke a lot of Square Enix games for a lot of phones.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bloomington posted:

Gameplay wise, the GBA version may be easier. It really depends on your jobs though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Signed up for the Classic run despite not having gotten past the Fire Crystal in my first ever run.

I'm sure I'm up for the task.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Classic is possibly the least fun way you could play it though.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Can we just change the thread title to FFV Four Job Fiesta 2015: Never Pick Classic/Natural! Just Don't.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Does the kickoff start at midnight or noon tomorrow?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The streams start at noon. We start when they finish or noon (?) Monday, whichever comes first.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

JibberJabberwocky posted:

"I'M NOT USING FOCUS, IT DOESN'T DO ENOUGH DAMAGE. I TESTED THIS EXTENSIVELY."

Doesn't focus always make you do more damage?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gatesealer posted:

Doesn't focus always make you do more damage?

Yes, but he was under the impression that a focus would not do enough damage to burst the Seal Guardians past the 3333 HP danger zone.

He was mistaken, of course, but that's our dragondarch! *laugh track*

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Huzzah! posted:

Can we just change the thread title to FFV Four Job Fiesta 2015: Never Pick Classic/Natural! Just Don't.

Classic's still fine. :colbert: Classic jobs are all good enough to carry you through the whole game, if you get just one Knight, White Mage or Black Mage you have enough to carry you through the rest of the game. (Monk and Thief aren't bad either.)

That said, if you're only going to do one run this year don't do natural or classic. Classic is something you should do if you're planning to clear the game ten times or more this year and want to shake things up. Natural is something you should do if you're planning to clear the game ten times or more this year and intend to hamstring yourself on like run #6 because you were stupid enough to think you could handle a natural run this year.

Rebelle Winter
Jun 21, 2015
I'm so excited about this, I look forward to it every year. Last year I had quite an easy team (Black Mage, Mystic Knight, Bard, Chemist), so this year I went with Chaos to shake it up. I'm so pumped and ready!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there any guess as to how long it's going to take for the run? I didn't realize they'd already accomplished that fast of runs. I'm going to be sad if my only night a week to actually sleep prevents me from seeing this completely. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ugato posted:

Is there any guess as to how long it's going to take for the run? I didn't realize they'd already accomplished that fast of runs. I'm going to be sad if my only night a week to actually sleep prevents me from seeing this completely. :(

Last year's runs were 12-ish hours. They have a worse team this year.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Last year's runs were 12-ish hours. They have a worse team this year.

I forget, did last year's FJF start when Puwexil won, or when dragondarch finished? Because if we've gotta wait for dd to limp across the finish line, we could be here a while, this year. :allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I believe it was after both were finished. :eng99:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

I believe it was after both were finished. :eng99:

It was. :negative:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I forget, did last year's FJF start when Puwexil won, or when dragondarch finished? Because if we've gotta wait for dd to limp across the finish line, we could be here a while, this year. :allears:

Honestly this year's team doesn't look so bad. Ranger is a top tier class. Red mage is middle of the road. Monk wrecks the first 1/3rd of the game and his hp passive isn't bad. Dancer is bad though. I could see ranger and red mage with rapid fire and monk and dancer with each other's passives acting as heal bots.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
IDK man I'd rather have a Dancer than a Red Mage in a party any day of the week. DualCast is garbage, at least a Dancer with a chicken knife can kill Omega.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Pulled the trigger on some BERSERKER RISK this year after missing 2014. This is going to be a great and terrible re-introduction.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

So I think I'm running the SNES RPGe translation for this run. Last time I ran the FF5 Advance + SNES sound mod that was linked in here, but I grabbed the new version of it, patched it onto the US ROM, and played through the intro. Problem is that a couple times in the first cave the bass entirely cut out during the battle, I dunno if it's a glitch in VBA-M but I doubt it. Also the sound effects themselves are still the lovely GBA port sounds. Unless someone wants to talk me out of it and into running the GBA version instead?

I just spent a while loving around getting retroarch working correctly with recording. I captured Syldra saying hello but youtube seems to want to turn the 512x448 video into 360p, and it's all blurry. gently caress. Anyone else capturing their run? I'm thinking the best option here would be to have it capture at 1024x896 and either do a lanczos resize to 548x480 or just upload it as-is and let youtube try and come up with a 720p and 480p version itself.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Mirthless posted:

Classic's still fine. :colbert: Classic jobs are all good enough to carry you through the whole game, if you get just one Knight, White Mage or Black Mage you have enough to carry you through the rest of the game. (Monk and Thief aren't bad either.)

That said, if you're only going to do one run this year don't do natural or classic. Classic is something you should do if you're planning to clear the game ten times or more this year and want to shake things up. Natural is something you should do if you're planning to clear the game ten times or more this year and intend to hamstring yourself on like run #6 because you were stupid enough to think you could handle a natural run this year.

It's not that Classic or Natural are too hard, they're just inherently less fun on account of not letting you actually fiddle around with your class setups.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Edit: Nevermind, misread some stuff.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 21, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

Honestly this year's team doesn't look so bad. Ranger is a top tier class. Red mage is middle of the road. Monk wrecks the first 1/3rd of the game and his hp passive isn't bad. Dancer is bad though. I could see ranger and red mage with rapid fire and monk and dancer with each other's passives acting as heal bots.

It's not a bad team, but it is a lower powered one (with Ranger doing a lot of the heavy lifting) and dragondarch is bound to overthink it and turn a speedrun into a slog two or three hours longer than it would be otherwise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just want them to dance like they want to win.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ranger is best when paired with another good physical attacker; by themselves, even with Rapid Fire, their damage output is "meh" (with rapid fire also making focus-firing difficult). Dancer is probably better off Dancing than Rapid Firing, and Monk's feeble fists will also not produce fantastic results. !Animals is most useful early on, when your odds of getting Nightingale are highest.

Monk is bad. Real bad. Especially when kept at low levels, like in a speedrun. Equip Bows might help them out some, though. They can use their high strength to do decent damage from the back row.

Red Mage is pretty bad without another mage backup. They certainly have their uses when there's a status they can exploit, and Rod Breaking is always an option. I'd say they don't contribute much to most random battles, but this is a speed run so there probably won't be a ton of randoms to participate in anyways. That actually improves their overall usefulness outlook- just break rods on bosses and throw out the occasional status or heal.

Dancer is squishy at the best of times, and even moreso when low level (again, in a speedrun). Are there even any easy-access sword dance boosting gear (that doesn't replace the ribbon slot)? I know there's the stuff in the dimensional castle, but that's super late. I suppose they could go try their luck with thief knives in the phoenix tower, but.... Point is, they'll be stuck with the 25% sword dance odds for a long long time.

It's a team that's got problems, we'll say that. Not the worst possible team, but.... ehhhh.

Rickraw
Nov 1, 2007
Just watching Dragondarch doing a practice run. He wiped about 5 times to the crystals at level 35.

e: I started watching when he was already fighting them, not sure how long he'd already been at it.

Rickraw fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 21, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rickraw posted:

Just watching Dragondarch doing a practice run. He wiped about 5 times to the crystals at level 35.

:unsmigghh:

.dd is going to loving flourish.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mirthless posted:

IDK man I'd rather have a Dancer than a Red Mage in a party any day of the week. DualCast is garbage, at least a Dancer with a chicken knife can kill Omega.

Can dancer constantly out damage ranger with rapid fire + chicken knife?

Red mage can status effect a lot of bosses. Later you can get that magic sword which hit pretty hard with red mage. I'm not sure if rapid fire works with that sword though. And at the very least you can double cast cura.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

:unsmigghh:

.dd is going to loving flourish.

Sounds like Chaotic Neutral called it with schadenfreude stream. Should be hilarious to watch. Glad he's not gating the rest of us starting though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rickraw posted:

e: I started watching when he was already fighting them, not sure how long he'd already been at it.

Wait seriously? Do you have the instant death bow by that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yes, waste your loving eyedrops on the person WHO HAS !RAPIDFIRE. THIS IS SOUND TACTICAL PLANNING.

• Locked thread