Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm just impressed he had the balls to properly frame that shot when the car must have been a hair away from shaking itself to pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That had to take forever, I dont think my 83 Accord would have done that and I think it was like 70hp. If it did I would have taken 3 days.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fart Pipe posted:

That had to take forever, I dont think my 83 Accord would have done that and I think it was like 70hp. If it did I would have taken 3 days.

Now imagine you're on the highway, and you get passed by that little Civic trucking along.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I got a speeding ticket once for 93 in a seventy zone, which was ridiculous because I was somehow singled out of a long line of cars in the right lane doing just under 80 while other vehicles were passing us in the left.

I went to court to contest the speed on the citation. When the judge asked me why I wasn't going 93 like the ticket said, I asked him to look at the year, make, and model of my vehicle. He read it, chuckled, and dropped the speed to 76: 1989 Pontiac Grand Am.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I kept the speeding ticket I got in my Beetle. If I ever get an ACVW bus I may attempt to get a ticket anyway just for kicks.

No, that's stupid, but still a funny thought.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Ripoff posted:

Can... can someone explain to me why a 1st -Gen Civic has a speedo that displays 100? Isn't 85 good enough for that car? :psyduck:

They'd just gone through a phase where lots of cars had 55mph speedos and no more, and when they made that car the pendulum had swung the other way?

My 1997 camry speedo went up to 120 or 140. But that car was happy to sit at 115 all day.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Geirskogul posted:

I kept the speeding ticket I got in my Beetle. If I ever get an ACVW bus I may attempt to get a ticket anyway just for kicks.

No, that's stupid, but still a funny thought.

Heh, I got a 45mph in a 35 zone in my 68 bug. I was in the middle of a 6 or so car line. I think it's cause I had my decklid off that day.

I also got pulled over leaving my gf at the time's neighborhood cause I was romping on it. I told the cop I had just put a new shifter in the car (I had) and didn't have 2nd gear, so I had to run first up to hit third, he let me go :)

It was amazing how much trouble I got into with a car that only had 55hp on a good day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MattD1zzl3 posted:

They'd just gone through a phase where lots of cars had 55mph speedos and no more, and when they made that car the pendulum had swung the other way?

My 1997 camry speedo went up to 120 or 140. But that car was happy to sit at 115 all day.

14"s Civic predates that speedo fuckery.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ripoff posted:

Can... can someone explain to me why a 1st -Gen Civic has a speedo that displays 100? Isn't 85 good enough for that car? :psyduck:
You can get an original Panda 4x4 to just about touch a ton given a long enough, slightly downhill straight and sufficient lack of self preservation (official top speed is mid-80s, so it's mainly speedo error). But any motorway speeds in a small tin box with a 5.46 final drive (really) are something you really know about.

I suspect the wheels of the Civic may be off the ground in that shot and it's on axle stands or a lift

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From misc chat

14 INCH SLIT posted:

A small confession to the pic of me doing 105 the other day, my speedo is broken :v:

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Spotted this on Craigslist today. Seemed fitting for this thread.

1979 Accord
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5060608922.html

Screenshot for archives:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my loving god I wish I could buy this, book time at the shop for a clutch is 2.5hr

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5074421499.html

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Oh my loving god I wish I could buy this, book time at the shop for a clutch is 2.5hr

Oh, man. I hope that I can find another just like it once I've got a garage. Brown, too. Love me some brown vehicles.

:shlick:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Wish I could find that around here. I need a beater to commute in!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's literally AI's brown 5 speed manual wagon I mean come on.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

14 INCH SLIT posted:

BRB looking up plane tickets to WA. That would totally make it back to Wisconsin right?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually talking to him now, it suddenly stopped idling but runs off idle, blows oil smoke only on start, and he's over his head trying to figure it out. I think I can actually pick it up for $300 if I play my cards right.

So I need to figure out how to make that happen haha

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Dickstarter fund!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

14 INCH SLIT posted:

It's literally AI's brown 5 speed manual wagon I mean come on.

Not diesel. :frogout:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Carbureted CVCC has to count somewhat

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well I'm going after work anyways, despite not really having the time space or money for another car I feel those are all hurdles that can be worked out if it looks like a good idea :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Carbureted CVCC has to count somewhat

Rod knock kinda sounds like a diesel :v:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Well I'm going after work anyways, despite not really having the time space or money for another car I feel those are all hurdles that can be worked out if it looks like a good idea :v:

There is no way it could be a bad idea.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Arriviste posted:

Dickstarter fund!

Count me in for $50, Dick. As usual a certified check sent from my bank. I don't know much but I know I love youuuuuuuuu AND THAT MAY BE ALL I NEED TO KNOW.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

This is almost identical to my first car. I ended up selling it because the clutch went out :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo this is how bad my job is.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
aren't those shirts dynamically generated based on your profile? I get a ton of super cringy ones too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about dynamically generated but I'm getting it anyways

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I don't know how anyone can stand that atrocity of fonts.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to wear it to the mandatory corporate meetings with district

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I don't know about dynamically generated but I'm getting it anyways

you might be right, it's probably some poor motherucker "social engineer"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So yeah probably gonna pass on the wagon because before I'd even be able to drive it I'd need to buy a battery for it, then it had no brake pedal, one of the rear windows was sheet plexiglass, aftermarket leaking sunroof, oh, and the clutch. And the front tires were made in the mid 90s. And then the registration, and the guy is firm on price.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Hahahaha man oh man. Don't you always feel so much less stress when you realize how big of a bullet you dodged? All the stress that leads up to a possible last minute acquisition, just gone.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Um, no?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Astonishing Wang posted:

Hahahaha man oh man. Don't you always feel so much less stress when you realize how big of a bullet you dodged? All the stress that leads up to a possible last minute acquisition, just gone.

Absolutely not.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Beep boop I am a robot what is emotion

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So yeah probably gonna pass on the wagon because before I'd even be able to drive it I'd need to buy a battery for it, then it had no brake pedal, one of the rear windows was sheet plexiglass, aftermarket leaking sunroof, oh, and the clutch. And the front tires were made in the mid 90s. And then the registration, and the guy is firm on price.

why do people misrepresent cars like this.. Do they think someone's going to show up and say "I was expecting a brake pedal, and back glass but fuckit I'm gonna buy anyways"?

It always pisses me off when I go look at a car and it's 50% worse than the ad says, 10% sure someone may no care about the scratches and dents on the other side of the car but missing poo poo should be mentioned especially when the ad says "toss in a battery and drive it.." into what a wall because you can't stop?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Because when your shitpile has 20 things wrong with it, you get used to most of them and so when you sit down to spend an absolute minimum amount of time writing an ad to sell your, let's be fair here, really very cheap old shitpile car, you just list the seven things that you remember off the top of your head.

Also once you've owned something for a long time your brain literally glosses over a lot of the flaws. If I tried to list everything that's wrong with my truck I'm sure I'd forget a bunch, unless I went out there and took notes while I walked around the thing, drove it, and looked under the hood.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Astonishing Wang posted:

:wtf: ? No. I've been depressed all afternoon for not loading myself up with another bunch of debt to have something I wanted. I'm an American, I want stuff :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Well this has just appeared...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C608335

£1400ono

• Locked thread