Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, you empty them by connecting an air line to pressurise them and it forces the oil out through the hose connected to the bottom and into your waste tank.

You forgot the atomized clouds of oil that come out and do god knows what to the environment and you if you breathe it. Glad my current shop just has a shop bitch/parts and people runner, that empties the catches manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So my cousin bought a dodge dart about 2 years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the Dart's ad campaign showed some rally driver tearing it up on a track and it looked fine! It must be a quality vehicle.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Why is it always a Chrysler I spot with epic control arm failure. Do they make them from cheese

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

Why is it always a Chrysler I spot with epic control arm failure. Do they make them from cheese

No, since they got bought out by fiat, they have started making them out of an italian material called "formaggio".

I assume that's some sort of forged material.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Powershift posted:

No, since they got bought out by fiat, they have started making them out of an italian material called "formaggio".

Yeah, the infamous forges of the Parma region.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

8ender posted:

I've seen it happen to an E46 :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BlackMK4 posted:

I've seen it happen to an E46 :v:

Not a 2 year old one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Something tells me those panel gaps were actually worse before the crash.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How in the gently caress does one chew through ball joints that fast? Was he rallying with SiF or something? :psyduck:

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

Amykinz posted:

My husband sent this to me saying, "new guy had a bad day"

https://youtu.be/haSs4YdspTM

Reminds me of watching the new race engineer trying to clean shock oil off the ceiling after cracking open a damper without dumping the air first.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jacteh posted:

Reminds me of watching the new race engineer trying to clean shock oil off the ceiling after cracking open a damper without dumping the air first.

It's far easier to just race harder so there is no pressurization or, for that matter, oil left in the shock when you get to the end. :v:

(Somewhere at the bottom of the scrapmetal pile is a Gabriel Guardian I wailed on so hard in the Comanche that it actually broke in half. The threads stripped out of the piston plunger and the bar pin eye and bushing from the lower end were nowhere to be found when I stopped because I heard a horrible clanging from the front suspension over every bump. When I went to pull on it to see if it would extend, the rod just slid right out of the shock and I was left holding half of it, the other half still bolted to the chassis. Good race shocks aren't going to do this, but I know multiple people who have blown up several of the more inexpensive brands. A friend launched the endcap of one of his FOA remote resi shocks several hundred feet, none of the ebay special Subaru struts will survive chrisgt or SiF's driving for very long, and I've seen probably half a dozen people break Bilstein 5150 shock rods right in half.)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

BloodBag posted:

How in the gently caress does one chew through ball joints that fast? Was he rallying with SiF or something? :psyduck:

Probably hit the 25,000 mile life-limit of Chrysler ball joints #justchryslerthings

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Probably hit the 25,000 mile life-limit of Chrysler ball joints #justchryslerthings

I just finished a timing belt/waterpump job on a pt cruiser and couldn't really test drive it because the ball joint was ready to fall out but the customer didn't wanna fix it. Also failing strut mounts, tie rods, and bearing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Chrysler and Fiat are just made for each other :allears:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

I just finished a timing belt/waterpump job on a pt cruiser and couldn't really test drive it because the ball joint was ready to fall out but the customer didn't wanna fix it. Also failing strut mounts, tie rods, and bearing.

Yeah, I mean, the "suspension parts die at 25,000 miles and transmissions take a poo poo at 50,000 miles" is a well-known joke for a reason.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Powershift posted:

:golfclap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BloodBag posted:

As others have said, you're judging the owner on the basis of normal, acceptable vehicles. Chrysler/fiat build to a different standard entirely.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Yeah, I mean, the "suspension parts die at 25,000 miles and transmissions take a poo poo at 50,000 miles" is a well-known joke for a reason.

Don't forget that your timing belt can break in between 40,000 and 100,000

Edit: added zeros.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I have a 97 Ram thats just about to hit 30k, one of the front right ball joints no joke has been bad since like 20k. At least its a manual so I dont have to worry about the trans in the next 20k :shrek:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How the gently caress do you have a 97 Ram with only 30k?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

How the gently caress do you have a 97 Ram with only 30k?

It's probably in the shop a lot.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its one of my work trucks so I dont drive it much. My great uncle bought it new and it had 12k on it when I took over the business in 2009. Never seen snow, etc.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I took this pic last year

Also the cat was bad at 12k so I replaced it. It was clogged and woudnt go more than like 60mph, then found out like a week later that there was a recall for it and I could have had it replaced for nothing.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Also the cat was bad at 12k so I replaced it. It was clogged and woudnt go more than like 60mph, then found out like a week later that there was a recall for it and I could have had it replaced for nothing.

poo poo, that thing is in good (cosmetic) shape. Also, apropos of nothing, but I love your new Immortan Stitch avatar.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Fart Pipe posted:

I've heard you can usually get manufacturers to reimburse recall item replacements if they were replaced at your cost before the recall was announced.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Fart Pipe posted:

My best friend in college had one of these in like metallic brown and I remember riding around with him. The front end would go up and down after each bump and it had like 1/8th turn of play in the steering and it wasn't more than 5 years old. #justchryslerthings

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

. At least its a manual so I dont have to worry about the trans in the next 20k :shrek:

To bad everything else will fall apart on that pretty truck. It really has never seen salt or that truck bed would be 75% non existent.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepUNUhGDDA
Might need to buy that rebuild kit after all.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

poo poo, that thing is in good (cosmetic) shape. Also, apropos of nothing, but I love your new Immortan Stitch avatar.

Haha thanks, I think geikerskoal (sp?) made and bought me the av and its pretty awesome.

revmoo posted:

I've heard you can usually get manufacturers to reimburse recall item replacements if they were replaced at your cost before the recall was announced.

I replaced it in like 2009 so it was way after the recall, I just didnt know about it. One of my mopar mechanic friends told me about the recall after it was too late. It sucked cause the cat is also the y-pipe and cost like $400 but luckily it was easy to replace because of the low miles and no rust.

BloodBag posted:

My best friend in college had one of these in like metallic brown and I remember riding around with him. The front end would go up and down after each bump and it had like 1/8th turn of play in the steering and it wasn't more than 5 years old. #justchryslerthings

There isnt any play in the steering but yea the shocks are bad already with less than 30k :/ Probably doesnt help that I tow a trailer all the time with it. Ill replace them soon with some Bilsteins or something else with a lifetime warranty.

SouthsideSaint posted:

To bad everything else will fall apart on that pretty truck. It really has never seen salt or that truck bed would be 75% non existent.

Its been good for doing a massive amount of work every day. I literally tow 2-3k with it every day and the drivetrain never complains. I even towed a 98 Jetta TDI donor car home from northern VT with it and other than having my foot to the floor in 3rd to maintain 60mph on some of the mountain hills it did that just fine.

Still no excuse for the ball joints though, its dumb that they dont even have grease fittings these days.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Update on the Jeep 5.9, the machine shop called and said both heads were cracked. So I guess we're getting new heads on monday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Haha, right around the exhaust valves? That's A Thing with 5.2/5.9/probably 3.9 motors, they just do that. Some people don't even realize till they pull the heads fora another reason because it usually causes no problems unless the crack makes it to a water jacket, then you end up with coolant consumption.

They aren't really great motors. They work, sure, but they don't make much power for the displacement, the exhaust manifold fasteners suck to deal with, there are no serious upgrade parts, the head cracking issue, the garbage intake plenum issue, the auto trannies suck, the mantrans are hard to find... and tuning software is expensive and not widely available yet.

At least the manifolds usually don't fall off by themselves like Ford mod motor ones, the collector flanges are through bolted instead of studded, and the plugs come out like they should, that's about the nicest thing I can say about them.

This is why I tell people to go Vortec even if they have a donor sitting there, unless they are really really sure it is what they want to do.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Just to make sure, the 4.7L v8 they put in the Grand cherokees in the early 2000's were also trash, right? My Dad had one and it sounded nice but was such a gutless piece of poo poo at any speed over 10mph. Weren't those the ones that liked to drop valve seats?

He sold that to get a diesel grand cherokee, which was also gutless and downright dangerous for passing maneuvers on two lane roads. Also, chrysler's interior plastics really went to hell from the early 2000's to the mid 2000's. I mean that 2002 GC was really a nice place to be, but the diesel one had such a lovely interior for how expensive that truck was. I hated driving it because my left knee would rest right on some angled thing in the driver's side door, making it super uncomfortable over time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

Just to make sure, the 4.7L v8 they put in the Grand cherokees in the early 2000's were also trash, right? My Dad had one and it sounded nice but was such a gutless piece of poo poo at any speed over 10mph. Weren't those the ones that liked to drop valve seats?
Kastein will give you a litany of reasons why they're rubbish, and he's not wrong, but I did not have any problems with my HO one.

Shouldn't be slow, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Valve seats and alleged oil passage sludging issues on those.

Valve seats are the only thing I would worry about, really. The oiling issues are probably lack of maintenance.

Oh, the 4.0s had a fatal flaw in the head casting from 99-02.0 but 02.5 and up are solid.

It shouldn't be gutless. If it is, something is wrong.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

On a mopar? Surely not!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

kastein posted:

Valve seats and alleged oil passage sludging issues on those.

Valve seats are the only thing I would worry about, really. The oiling issues are probably lack of maintenance.

Oh, the 4.0s had a fatal flaw in the head casting from 99-02.0 but 02.5 and up are solid.

I like the part where it got poo poo mileage in a Dakota and made lots of noise when you stomped the gas but it took forever to do anything. Never had any mechanical issues with it... just kind of a gutless, thirsty engine.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Pilot bearing removal with bread :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkRmKWktW70

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

quote:

...three sheets of bread...

:lol:

I've heard of people using wet paper towels or grease, but that's the first time I've seen bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Protip: don't attempt this method on an LSx.