Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Lovely Complex!

Wahahaha.That was it. Thank you!

I think we'll be trying Lovely Complex and Nozaki-Kun. Thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I watched Lovely Complex recently. It's good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LoveCom is the best.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So I have a lot of free time and am looking for more stuff to watch. Two kinds of things, probably. Firstly, I'm wanting stuff with high reward, "magnificent bastard" moments from a clever main character that might be a bit of a prick.

For context, I blew through Log Horizon recently and loved it, and No Game No Life would be another example of the kinds of things I'm looking for. Semi-relatedly, I also watched and (mostly) enjoyed (most of) Sword Art Online, so I guess wish fulfillment, power fantasy, and escapism are good themes. Yes, I am coming up on a major life transition that I'm trying to avoid thinking about too much. :v:

Second category, the Nisekoi anime has me hankering for more light-hearted, fluffy, happy, cutesy romance, although preferably something with more... closure? Something that isn't going nowhere fast? It doesn't have to be more slice of life. I haven't watched nearly as much stuff in this area recently or ever, so anything goes for suggestions here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You might want to look into JoJo if you haven't already.

As for the second part:

a kitten posted:

LoveCom is the best.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Oh yeah, I did JoJo too. Battle Tendency is another good example of a thing I'm looking for.

I'll take a look at LoveCom, then!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kaiji my man. well, not much wish fulfilment but he's the cleverest bastard around

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Seconding Kaiji. You can also look into Code Geass and Death Note for the first part of your question.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Liar Game is also cool if you're ok reading (or you could watch the live action version I guess which is supposed to be pretty decent I think)

One Outs might work too which I liked a lot even though I knew nothing about baseball going into it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zwingley posted:

So I have a lot of free time and am looking for more stuff to watch. Two kinds of things, probably. Firstly, I'm wanting stuff with high reward, "magnificent bastard" moments from a clever main character that might be a bit of a prick.

For context, I blew through Log Horizon recently and loved it, and No Game No Life would be another example of the kinds of things I'm looking for. Semi-relatedly, I also watched and (mostly) enjoyed (most of) Sword Art Online, so I guess wish fulfillment, power fantasy, and escapism are good themes. Yes, I am coming up on a major life transition that I'm trying to avoid thinking about too much. :v:

Second category, the Nisekoi anime has me hankering for more light-hearted, fluffy, happy, cutesy romance, although preferably something with more... closure? Something that isn't going nowhere fast? It doesn't have to be more slice of life. I haven't watched nearly as much stuff in this area recently or ever, so anything goes for suggestions here.

Death Note, One Outs, The Unlimited- Hyobu Kyosuke, Jormungand, maybe Black Lagoon for the 1st part.

For the 2nd part, almost anything from Mitsuru Adachi although that's going to be a bit dated in regards to animation, score, etc but is generally fun, H2 would be a decent try at first I guess?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

People posted:

Kaiji, Code Geass, Death Note, Liar Game, One Outs, The Unlimited Hyobu Kyosuke, Jormungand, Black Lagoon

Looks like I have a fair number of three episode tests to do. Code Geass, Death Note, and Black Lagoon have been on my radar for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to them for one reason or another; probably a good time to give them a fair shot. I'll take a gander at the others, too.

People also posted:

Lovely Complex, H2 and other Mitsuru Adachi

Datedness doesn't usually bother me, so I'll poke around in Adachi's library if H2 does or doesn't tickle my fancy. Can anyone say for certain if LoveCom is available on Netflix at present, or on another legal streaming platform?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Afaik LoveCom isn't streaming anywhere which sucks; there is an official english DVD release, but that's not nearly as convenient.
http://www.amazon.com/Lovely-Complex-Complete-Series-Nakahara/dp/B00CXRTH8Y

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zwingley posted:

Looks like I have a fair number of three episode tests to do. Code Geass, Death Note, and Black Lagoon have been on my radar for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to them for one reason or another; probably a good time to give them a fair shot. I'll take a gander at the others, too.

Datedness doesn't usually bother me, so I'll poke around in Adachi's library if H2 does or doesn't tickle my fancy. Can anyone say for certain if LoveCom is available on Netflix at present, or on another legal streaming platform?

One Outs is probably the best pure "smug protagonist" of all of those. It's a total Mary Sue character, but remains awesome the entire stretch just FYI.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zwingley posted:

Have you looked at this thread's title recently? You may be surprised.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

Liar Game is also cool if you're ok reading (or you could watch the live action version I guess which is supposed to be pretty decent I think)

One Outs might work too which I liked a lot even though I knew nothing about baseball going into it

The Liar Game TV series is indeed really good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zwingley posted:

Firstly, I'm wanting stuff with high reward, "magnificent bastard" moments from a clever main character that might be a bit of a prick.
Disney's Gargoyles, for Xanatos

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
18 episodes deep in the first season of Kaiji, and it isn't what I was looking for. Kaiji's tenacious as all get out and very clever towards the end of his rope, but he's decidedly not playing from a position of strength. Definitely good in its own way, though. I will probably be hearing ZAWAs for awhile.

Did 5 episodes of One Outs and wasn't really grabbed. I think the premise might not be my cup of tea. I'll still take a look at Liar Game, as I see it's by the same guy.

First two episodes of Black Lagoon owned, but didn't really tell me if it's what I'm looking for.

The Unlimited Hyobu Kyosuke remains on Crunchyroll, and Funimation offers Jormungand, but I can't find streaming for Code Geass or Death Note. Anyone know if those two are on Netflix?

More time is needed, either way. Also sleep.

Bongo Bill posted:

Have you looked at this thread's title recently? You may be surprised.

I'm cagey on LoGH both because of the scale and because it's such a catch-all recommendation. I recognize that it's at least three unironic thread titles good, but I'm hoping for something a little more specific, I guess.

Captain Invictus posted:

Disney's Gargoyles, for Xanatos

Gargoyles is awesome and you made me want to go watch some of it again, but now is a time for new things for me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zwingley posted:

18 episodes deep in the first season of Kaiji, and it isn't what I was looking for. Kaiji's tenacious as all get out and very clever towards the end of his rope, but he's decidedly not playing from a position of strength. Definitely good in its own way, though. I will probably be hearing ZAWAs for awhile.

Did 5 episodes of One Outs and wasn't really grabbed. I think the premise might not be my cup of tea. I'll still take a look at Liar Game, as I see it's by the same guy.

First two episodes of Black Lagoon owned, but didn't really tell me if it's what I'm looking for.

The Unlimited Hyobu Kyosuke remains on Crunchyroll, and Funimation offers Jormungand, but I can't find streaming for Code Geass or Death Note. Anyone know if those two are on Netflix?

I'm cagey on LoGH both because of the scale and because it's such a catch-all recommendation. I recognize that it's at least three unironic thread titles good, but I'm hoping for something a little more specific, I guess.

Gargoyles is awesome and you made me want to go watch some of it again, but now is a time for new things for me.

Death note is on netflix

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zwingley posted:

You've not seen LOGH and are wary BECAUSE of all the good press it gets?

Like, it's the only anime to survive in TVIV without getting threadshit to hell. It's extremely good and exactly what you're looking for if you want tactical gambits that pay off(or don't!). It's not even that long, at 110 episodes it might seem that way, but as someone who has seen it, it was a series that at no time seemed like it was "too long".

No joke, Reinhard, and to a lesser extent Yang, perfectly encapsulate what you want. Yang less so on the "bit of a prick" front, not tactical front. It's a show that never feels like it's getting too large-scale for the viewer, it keeps things in order and reminds you of characters who haven't been around for a while, that sort of thing. You really should watch it, dude.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zwingley posted:

try the live action show the genius for a clever show i forgot

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/69603754319/the-genius-1-2-subbed

start with season 1

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If the length of LOGH bothers you, maybe rather than tackle it/view it as a giant 110 marathon instead go at it from the angle of it being a 4 season show and watch each one at your own pace. Each season does sort of have a more or less natural conclusion/wrapping up point as best as I can remember. More than likely though you'll wind up getting into it enough that you'll wind up marathoning it anyway, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just watch the first movie, it's great on its own and you can keep watching if you want.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Captain Invictus posted:

You've not seen LOGH and are wary BECAUSE of all the good press it gets?

all the good press about cowboy bebop left me very disappointed when i watched it, this isn't too far-fetched imo

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Outer Science posted:

all the good press about cowboy bebop left me very disappointed when i watched it, this isn't too far-fetched imo

If you were disappointed by Cowboy Bebop there's no helping you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cowboy Bebop wasn't bad, but it just felt like a slower and less fun Outlaw Star.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Outer Science posted:

Are you Satan?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Outer Science posted:

Going by these standards,I would heartily recommend Gundam AGE,you might find it amazing compared to Bebop.

BTW:that was a joke about bad taste in anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Liar Game TV series is indeed really good.

A bit late to the party on this, but check out the Korean version of this. I am not joking, it's about as good as the manga.

Also recommended to me forever ago when I asked for mind-gamey stuff is a Korean variety/game show called The Genius. Simply put, it is the best game show of all time, and season 4 is starting in about a week.

Also, the manga Usogui is :unsmigghh: galore. It's about a guy called literally Lie Eater who does a bunch of life-or-death gambles in order to take down the leader of the organization called Kakerou.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

A bit late to the party on this, but check out the Korean version of this. I am not joking, it's about as good as the manga.

Also recommended to me forever ago when I asked for mind-gamey stuff is a Korean variety/game show called The Genius. Simply put, it is the best game show of all time, and season 4 is starting in about a week.

Also, the manga Usogui is :unsmigghh: galore. It's about a guy called literally Lie Eater who does a bunch of life-or-death gambles in order to take down the leader of the organization called Kakerou.

Any links for The Genius?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
cowboy bebop was very good and i enjoyed it a lot, i was disappointed because i expected it to blow me away entirely and it did not do that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sarcophallus posted:

If you were disappointed by Cowboy Bebop there's no helping you.

Cowboy Bebop is good but it's nowhere near as good as the cultural saturation it's achieved makes it seem.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bebop is :perfect:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cowboy Bebop is good but it's nowhere near as good as the cultural saturation it's achieved makes it seem.

That's probably fair.

Still was a good one though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

VolticSurge posted:

Any links for The Genius?

All of the first season is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/BumdidlyumptiousSubs

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I tried to watch Cowboy Bebop recently and couldn't get into it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Outer Science posted:

cowboy bebop was very good and i enjoyed it a lot, i was disappointed because i expected it to blow me away entirely and it did not do that.

Cowboy Bebop is the FF7 of anime in that for a lot of people, it was the first serious thing of its genre that they experienced.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Space Dandy is better than Cowboy Bebop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blhue posted:

Cowboy Bebop is the FF7 of anime in that for a lot of people, it was the first serious thing of its genre that they experienced.

It's also an excellent entry-level show to get people into anime. Hell you could probably sit some people down to watch the movie without needing context from the series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cowboy bebop is a horrible show to get people into anime because it creates the kind of people who say 'anime is bad except bebop because that is not anime'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Thanks,looks really fun and crazy. So it seems to be Korean Jigsaw inviting people to play his games participate in his social experiment?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread