Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
AST is a lot of fun. It took a while for me to remember what card did what but I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

Also Ley Lines is REALLY loving GOOD HOLY poo poo. Whenever I drop it I just start making GBS threads out fireballs like there's no tomorrow. 15% cast speed feels a lot more significant than it sounds. Plus, more importantly, it looks really awesome. I Can't wait to start Fire 4ing poo poo. One question with that though, I'm worried about all the keybinds I need. Will Fire4 and Blizzard4 need their own separate skill binds, or will they replace Fire3/Blizzard3 while your buff is up?

I'm wondering if I should start using my mouse button as a keyboard modifier but I'm afraid that'll feel really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I got my Summoner to 50 and now I'm pondering my choices - keep grinding trough the story content till the expansion and get DRK, or finish up my WAR :black101:

How's DRK tanking compared to WAR actually? Lots of people seem to think the class is very squishy compared to the older two tanks.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

It seems that Ravana is leaking.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
I just finished the Hildibrand quests and they may be the most enjoyable MMO quests I've ever done. Incredible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Renegret posted:

AST is a lot of fun. It took a while for me to remember what card did what but I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

Also Ley Lines is REALLY loving GOOD HOLY poo poo. Whenever I drop it I just start making GBS threads out fireballs like there's no tomorrow. 15% cast speed feels a lot more significant than it sounds. Plus, more importantly, it looks really awesome. I Can't wait to start Fire 4ing poo poo. One question with that though, I'm worried about all the keybinds I need. Will Fire4 and Blizzard4 need their own separate skill binds, or will they replace Fire3/Blizzard3 while your buff is up?

I'm wondering if I should start using my mouse button as a keyboard modifier but I'm afraid that'll feel really weird.

From what I understand you need separate key binds for Fire 4 and Blizzard 4, neither of them refresh Astral Fire/Umbral Ice so you need to throw in some Fire casts to refresh AF, they also don't switch your buff like F3/B3 do so you need those to switch back and forth.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Nekrews posted:

I just finished the Hildibrand quests and they may be the most enjoyable MMO quests I've ever done. Incredible.

Yeah, these should be half-compulsory even for new players, because Hildibrand has the best cutscenes out of the entire game with their slapstick appeal.

And I usually don't like Japanese/slapstick humor one bit.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
At level 54 a short quest chain appears in Mor Dhona featuring the Doman kids. It's pretty funny!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Finally on the last leg of my trip home. Anyone willing to indulge my need for info and describe how AST plays in comparison to WHM now that you've had a couple days to get acquainted with it?

e: f, someone already posted that kinda

Sorry, I'm excited to return is all

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 21, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mo0 posted:

Finally on the last leg of my trip home. Anyone willing to indulge my need for info and describe how AST plays in comparison to WHM now that you've had a couple days to get acquainted with it?

Sorry, I'm excited to return is al

It's fun.

Early on, the game play is really similar to WHM though. In fact, my first LLDR with AST put me in copperbell, and it played identically to WHM.

It sucks getting level synced below 30 as AST, you lose your yu-gi-oh cards and it becomes indistinguishable from WHM. Your instant cast DOT, your main nuke, your weaker nuke that inflicts heavy. You have a small, MP efficient heal, a large, MP inefficient heal. MP refresh skill that reduces enmity (in a slightly different way), AoE heal. Post 30, later on (with Dinural Sect), you get your regen, and AoE regen heals.

It's fun so far, but all because of the cards. I'm only 36 though, I know it's going to change quite a bit once I get more levels under me. It's just that I leveled WHM once already. My first LLDR threw me in Copperhell and it was totally indistinguishable from WHM.

e: Only downside is that the sound effects are a bit on the high pitched side and it's annoying to listen to.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for that, especially the part about level sync. I've been out long enough that it wasn't obvious to me why they assigned some of AST's skills to levels it will never be at, but level syncing is the answer.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mo0 posted:

I'm only 36, hopefully someone higher-leveled posts but, yeah, as the above poster noted, it's terrible if you're synced below 30.

But if you don't get synced and you have draw, you have to (should) make an actual decision every 30 seconds which is great. at 35? you also get one more ability related to cards, and you get to do more decisions based on that. Class seems fun and it's great having to engage your brain ever so slightly at some intervals. Slightly scared how convoluted it gets at higher levels :ohdear: but I'm definitely having more fun than I would as WHM at the same level or perhaps even at 50.

Bonus points compared to WHM/CNJ is the fact that I don't get my eardrums pierced every single time I want to cast a direct damage dealing spell. (gently caress Stone).

edit: Would love to see some sort of priority chart of which cards benefit which classes the most, because I barely know anything about other classes. (Do they use TP, how much time does the class need for TP savings to make an effect, does the class have frequent cooldowns, whose CD lowering would affect DPS, etc.)

Dessel fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 21, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Ravana with pubs is a nightmare, jesus

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mo0 posted:

It feels not quite as effective at direct healing as a WHM, and not quite as effective at shielding as a SCH. Don't get me wrong, it can hold its own, you're just not really going to be healchamp 2k15, or popping massive boners at your gigantic shields the way scholar will. The cards are super fun, especially once you get royal road, spread, and shuffle in the mix. Otherwise yeah, it's going to have an eerily familiar feel to white mage, with just a bit of distinction in some of the flavor spells (aspected benefic, for example). I like the job a ton coming from SCH, and never really liked WHM, so clearly it's got something "more" than WHM has going for it from my perspective.

edit: vvvvv you're not wrong about stance dancing being risky. Essential Dignity is Really Good and lets you play russian roulette with your tank (a low-hp dignity heals for nearly full), but you can only do that once every 60s.

kojei fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 21, 2015

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
AST at 50 is amazing, you get a choice between regen à la WHM or shields like SCH. These effects apply to your instant cast heal and your aoe Medica/Succor skill. At 50 you'll have a lot of control over your cards, you'll have options to reshuffle them and hold onto them. At 52 you get Gravity which is like Holy, more or less. It feels like a very versatile class, but I haven't had good luck dpsing with them at all. Your lack of a fairy and strong WHM regen/Divine Seal means stance dancing seems way risky. I'm sure someone better at video games has more input on this though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dessel posted:

edit: Would love to see some sort of priority chart of which cards benefit which classes the most, because I barely know anything about other classes. (Do they use TP, how much time does the class need for TP savings to make an effect, does the class have frequent cooldowns, whose CD lowering would affect DPS, etc.)

I'm sure someone will crunch the numbers eventually and this thread will argue endlessly over it.

On that note, what's the deal with The Spear? It reduces recast times, but does nothing to regular attacks so it doesn't increase attack speed like The Arrow does, it only affects cooldowns related skills. I haven't had a chance to test it much since testing cards is such a pain in the rear end. I'm assuming that the card only applies it's bonus to skills that are used while it's up, and doesn't affect cooldowns that were already ticking down when the card was put up. That doesn't really seem that good, I foresee most of the time no cooldowns would be used in that 20 seconds.

Personally I just royal road it or toss it on the tank, since faster tank cooldowns are always a good thing and they're always popping them off non stop.

That brings up another issue with AST buffs, to get the best use out of the skills, you really have to have a pretty good understanding of most of the classes in the game. Whenever I get The Spire, I have no idea who to dump it on since I don't know which classes benefit the most from TP reduction since the only TP using class I've taken to 50 has been warrior. I haven't played DRG to 50, does invigorate make that class self sustaining?

I'm sure someone will write a guide eventually. In the mean time, I'm just going to do whatever and just pray that the DPS don't notice that I'm favoring one over the other.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 21, 2015

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Renegret posted:

That brings up another issue with AST buffs, to get the best use out of the skills, you really have to have a pretty good understanding of most of the classes in the game. Whenever I get The Spire, I have no idea who to dump it on since I don't know which classes benefit the most from TP reduction since the only TP using class I've taken to 50 has been warrior.

Any non-caster during an aoe fight in dungeon content. Monks, ninjas, bards in 8-man stuff. It's kinda a bad card for 4-mans because nothing lasts long enough for it to be any good outside of aoe packs, and those seem to be dying off with every patch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Fat_Cow posted:

Ravana with pubs is a nightmare, jesus

I two-shot Ravana HM last night with a group of randoms. It was actually really chill, though it was a Party Finder group instead of Duty Finder. So everyone going in already knew we didn't really know what to expect.

First time we didn't get his adds fast enough and got Deathblowed. The team reaction was '...That was actually worth it, that was cool looking!' and proceeded to kick his rear end. (Even with the Ninja getting punted off the platform.)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Did anyone playing on PS4 preorder from Amazon?

I did and they sent me two preorder bonus codes. I put those into the preorder page at finalfantasyxiv.com and got two 12 digit codes for PS4. I redeemed those on the PSN store and now I have "HW early access" and "HW standard edition" in my transaction history.

Last night I finished up the 2.55 story but Alphinaud won't give me the quest to go to Ishgard cause I'm not registered for HW in mog station. Where do I get the code for that?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gearhead posted:

I two-shot Ravana HM last night with a group of randoms. It was actually really chill, though it was a Party Finder group instead of Duty Finder. So everyone going in already knew we didn't really know what to expect.

First time we didn't get his adds fast enough and got Deathblowed. The team reaction was '...That was actually worth it, that was cool looking!' and proceeded to kick his rear end. (Even with the Ninja getting punted off the platform.)

Ravana is a very visually complex fight that is actually super easy. 90% of it is just don't stand in bad, don't stand in front of holes in the wall, and kill adds. He does have a rotating immunity shield that positional melee need to understand, but otherwise it's just deal damage and heal damage, albeit a lot of it.

It is an incredibly rad fight to watch though!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

kharaa posted:

Any non-caster during an aoe fight in dungeon content. Monks, ninjas, bards in 8-man stuff. It's kinda a bad card for 4-mans because nothing lasts long enough for it to be any good outside of aoe packs, and those seem to be dying off with every patch.

ugh

give me my party TP bars Yoshi plz

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VanillaGorilla posted:

Ravana is a very visually complex fight that is actually super easy. 90% of it is just don't stand in bad, don't stand in front of holes in the wall, and kill adds. He does have a rotating immunity shield that positional melee need to understand, but otherwise it's just deal damage and heal damage, albeit a lot of it.

It is an incredibly rad fight to watch though!

They're incredibly kind that your camera is repositioned so you can still watch the fight if you're knocked off.

Don't ask me how I know this. (It was my first time :ohdear:)

I only spoiled that because it's a fun fight to go in blind.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Renegret posted:

I'm sure someone will write a guide eventually. In the mean time, I'm just going to do whatever and just pray that the DPS don't notice that I'm favoring one over the other.

My current assessment of cards, as of having played 50AST in some content:

Bole: Depends entirely on when you draw it. At the start of an encounter? Feel free to shuffle or even road it. Otherwise use it to buffer the tank/squishiest or the person you just swiftraised.

Balance: This one requires the least reasoning. If it's the first thing you draw, spread it and apply it when you get your next/desired road effect. Otherwise, there is pretty much no reason not to instantly cast this on whoever you believe is putting out the most DPS in your party.

Arrow: Arrow is kind of a roll depending on your party. It increases "attack speed" (which pertains to autoattacks, spellspeed, and GCDs). It can either greatly increase the thoroughput of your BLM/SMN/SCH players, mildly increase the thoroughput of your phys DPS, or can also help the healers make a push on topping off the party in a pinch. The autoattack bonus isn't huge, but chances are you'll always have a valid target to cast this on. If not, it's a valuable road card.

Spear: Spear can significantly reduce cooldowns, so it's okay for any of your DPS, or it can help your tanks keep up their defensive cooldowns much easier, but if neither of those are relevant, definitely road it.

Spire: Spire isn't quite a Goad, but it's about as useful early on in the encounter. It's absolutely one of the best cards to use if you're trying to AOE large pulls. Toss it on any of the TP users if it happens to be one of your first draws, but if you've got a road effect and don't want the one from Spire, consider shuffling.

Ewer: Ewer is the one I find the least valuable most of the time. I feel like this card only really has value on BLMs (it has pretty significant value on BLM though) and WHMs, anybody other class won't really need it. Once you're in content where WHM has Assize, I'm not even sure it would be worth casting it on them after that point. I am prone to immediately shuffling/roading, but during AOE heavy content this may be one of the few things you cast on yourself if you're trying to keep up with party heals.

Royal Road: I have yet to actually try to control the effect I am receiving on road, if I draw an undesirable card and have no road effect I will always choose to road it vs shuffle, just to have some kind of buff to whatever is drawn next. They're all pretty useful in some regard.

Of course, ultimately every situation is hugely dynamic and there are any number of justifications you can use for playing/roading/spreading a card at any time, but these are the conclusions I have drawn from a whopping 2 days of AST play.

e: had spear/arrow benefits reversed. remember: a for "ability speed", s for... idk

Emalde fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 21, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm enjoying F5ing that post every minute and watching it change (I do the same don't worry)

quote:

Arrow: Arrow is kind of a roll depending on your party. It can significantly reduce cooldowns, so it can either greatly increase the thoroughput of your BLM/SMN players, and can also help the healers make a push on topping off the party.

Spear: Spear is quite decent for any of your physical DPS, or help your tanks keep up their defensive cooldowns much easier, but if neither of those are relevant, just road/shuffle it.

Spear is cooldowns (recast), Arrow is attack speed iirc. Spear won't actually make you attack faster, so if you have your BLM fireball with a 2.5 cast/recast speed, dropping spear won't change that. It will, however, reduce Raging Strikes, convert, etc etc.

I like throwing Arrow down on Monks. I'll be damned if I crunch the numbers to find out if it's actually worth it, I just like the concept of making the fastest attacking class attack even faster.

I'll probably wind up doing the same to BLMs when they have Ley Lines up.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Renegret posted:

I'm enjoying F5ing that post every minute and watching it change (I do the same don't worry)

Spear is cooldowns (recast), Arrow is attack speed iirc. Spear won't actually make you attack faster, so if you have your BLM fireball with a 2.5 cast/recast speed, dropping spear won't change that. It will, however, reduce Raging Strikes, convert, etc etc.

I like throwing Arrow down on Monks. I'll be damned if I crunch the numbers to find out if it's actually worth it, I just like the concept of making the fastest attacking class attack even faster.

I'll probably wind up doing the same to BLMs when they have Ley Lines up.

We're talking about our yu-gi-oh cards in steam chat :shobon:

the card descriptions for spear and arrow are really lovely and not intuitive at all.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Other important things with the CD reduction card is checking if the target has any CD's ready (as they have to use it under the buff) my ast got into the habit of asking me on mumble when we were grinding to 50

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Renegret posted:

If I edit it enough I can just quote it later for more people who ask :shobon:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
the Spear requires a fair amount of communication (or, otherwise, a lot of understanding of all classes) for optimal usage on others; however, if you Spread Spear, then you can have it reduce the cooldown on your next Draw, which is at least something.

In general, I feel it would be better to Royal Road it, as you should never give up the Arrow, and those are the two that give you your AoE effect.

edit: I like to Spread Spear when I know I'm intending to use Lightspeed and/or Essential Dignity soon. It's one of the only things that I usually cast on myself rather than others, given these circumstances.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 21, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ravana wasn' t that bad of a fight with pubs.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
The Ewer is great for Dark Knights at the beginning of a pull, by the way, or at least that's what my fiancee tells me. Try throwing it at them, see if it helps.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fridurmus posted:

The Ewer is great for Dark Knights at the beginning of a pull, by the way, or at least that's what my fiancee tells me. Try throwing it at them, see if it helps.

Does it work on that...MP draining skill thing that they use

gently caress me if I know the name of all the new skills yet.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

From my experiences, it definitely seemed to.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
The Great Gubal Library and The Vault are some of the best dungeons I've played in any game design-wise.

Spoilers ahoy:

Matoya's Cave was a super nice bonus too, the theme is amazing.

Anyways, Demon Book strat is pretty easy; when he closes up, make sure you run behind him; threw me off the first time because I didn't think about it, it's not strictly a demon wall fight.

Blybos will spawn adds, kill them and kite the orb to the book he stands on to move him back into phase 1.

Final boss (Iforget his name) needs people to stand on his purple circles in patterns of 1, 2, and 3.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 21, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dusk Vigil had good music but felt like it could have been Stone Vigil HM HM. Obviously there's a good lore reason why but wasn't exactly compelling. Nice to know they get better.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Renegret posted:

yes. it is flat reduction, and dark side only stops mp refreshing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dungeons practically drown you in treasure now. Each boss drops two items and the final boss always drops a weapon, and that's not counting the side treasures.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

I got my Summoner to 50 and now I'm pondering my choices - keep grinding trough the story content till the expansion and get DRK, or finish up my WAR :black101:

How's DRK tanking compared to WAR actually? Lots of people seem to think the class is very squishy compared to the older two tanks.

They're kind of a cross between warriors and Paladins in a lot of regards. They have three 123 combos like warriors, and one of them heals you, they have a cross between flash and overpower (that doesn't interrupt 123 combos, which rules), and they've got most paladin cooldowns and Holmgang, which is great.

That being said, they're more complex than both. You have to keep dark side up at all times which can be hard if you're not used to keeping your mana up. Siphon strike and blood price are typically enough but if you mess up you basically have to drop grit and pop blood weapon, which means you take 20% more damage while you're tanking until you get mana back. You can mitigate it with shadowskin but that's a wasted cooldown.

Plus there's another ability you get at 45 that augments a lot of your core abilities/cooldowns, and it costs like 15% of your max mp (at a guess), so that has to be managed too.

So you have to manage hp and mp and your stances but all things considered it's more fun than warrior and paladin and I have both at 50. (Technically now I have all 3 at 50 :black101: )

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Fister Roboto posted:

Dungeons practically drown you in treasure now. Each boss drops two items and the final boss always drops a weapon, and that's not counting the side treasures.

Loot is also per-zone table and not per-boss. I saw the same 120 tank armor from the final boss and the very first chest in Dusk Vigil yesterday. Same run actually gave us 2 tank armors.

vvv That is impressive, congrats. I managed 59 on my DRG before I had to go into work today which I'm pretty happy with. So far this expansion has been awesome.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
Can finally get some rest!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Downtime posted:

Can finally get some rest!

GO OUTSIDE

TALK TO A GIRL

AND/OR A BOY IF THAT'S YOUR THING I DON'T JUDGE HOLY poo poo STOP IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
holy loving poo poo dude

• Locked thread