Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I get the feeling the movies are movie universe events and not part of Super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dr.acula posted:

I get the feeling the movies are movie universe events and not part of Super.

Wasn't there explicit confirmation that Super starts between the end of Z but before BoG, and that BoG and RoF take place in the same timeline?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just finished reading Jaco and found another retcon. Apparently Bulma graduated from the university at 16, but she was still going to high school well into Dragonball.

Also, Jaco is great. I'm really glad I read it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah on the other hand it's toei so they probably don't give a poo poo.

Isn't toriyama writing the story for this? I'm guessing he forgot some of the details.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Isn't toriyama writing the story for this? I'm guessing he forgot some of the details.

if they said he wasn't that'd cut down on the hype.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tori is poo poo at remembering his own poo poo, so I think this confirms its really him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Again if you don't like anything, just ignore it

Toriyama will do the same, but for different reasons :v

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

tsob posted:

First chapter of Dragonball Super up. It made me happy to see a pterodactyl flying past in one of the first panels.

This is great. Any idea what the publishing schedule for this is going to be?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
loving lol if that's the entire 22 minute episode in comic form.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

dogs named Charlie posted:

loving lol if that's the entire 22 minute episode in comic form.
Naw man that'd be crazy.

It'll take them two episodes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I finally picked up Xenoverse and made a Namekian named Theremin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tori is poo poo at remembering his own poo poo, so I think this confirms its really him.

they really need to hire an assistant for him who's job is solely to have everything relating to Dragon Ball remembered and to remind Toriyama when he forgets something or gets something wrong, probably would be pretty easy to find someone who could do it

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I mean come on, Toriyama might forget stuff from like 20 years ago, but to forget the origin of a major character that you just developed like two years ago? That's a bit of a reach.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He forgot a character existed between series that were only like a couple weeks apart.

So its really not.

Also I don't know why Tori can't forget but whatever ghost writer you think this is did.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

CharlestheHammer posted:

He forgot a character existed between series that were only like a couple weeks apart.

So its really not.

Also I don't know why Tori can't forget but whatever ghost writer you think this is did.

Launch owned too :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

I finally picked up Xenoverse and made a Namekian named Theremin.

That's a fantastic name for a Namekian!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Thanks! I wanted to stick to the original theme but also be silly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I named mine Cimbasso

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

So its really not.

A character that had been pretty much irrelevant for two arcs at that point. Wasn't the only thing she did in the Piccolo jr arc was hold an umbrella for Roshi or something?

My argument is that this was a conscious decision and not just chalking this up as Toriyama or some one else forgetting it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bulma was only in high school in that live action movie, you marks

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Some of the stuff in the Super manga looks really familiar. Are we gonna be retreading BoG entirely?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My takeaway from this comic is that Goku would look rad with a permanent scarf

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well scarfs are great in general so yeah, let's have more of those.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Everything is perfect and good.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

CharlestheHammer posted:

So its really not.

Revisiting some of DB myself, he actually didn't forget THEN. Upon Raditz' arrival he specifically wrote in that Launch left Kame House to try and chase Tien years before the planned reunion. He "forgot" about Launch between the time of Namek and the Androids. Note that this is only present in the manga, Launch is still a present character in early Z (and that there's no distinction between DB and Z in the manga; it's all "Dragon Ball" there). Though... present in that she's getting to stalker-level in her pursuit. Can't quite say it's all that out of character, though...

Squall posted:

Launch owned too :(

I'll be completely honest. Manga Launch was pretty 1-note. Like, in the anime she actually had a somewhat larger role and more of a character arc to her. But in the manga... there's not really much to her. Good Launch is nice and friendly but pretty airheaded. Mean Launch is violent and immoral, but not as scatterbrained. Sneeze changes them back and forth. Hell the manga actually doesn't give a reason for Launch's sudden shift between "actively trying to murder and rob Roshi" to "willing to tolerate the folks around her," anime adds some filler bits to show that shift.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

StrifeHira posted:

I'll be completely honest. Manga Launch was pretty 1-note. Like, in the anime she actually had a somewhat larger role and more of a character arc to her. But in the manga... there's not really much to her. Good Launch is nice and friendly but pretty airheaded. Mean Launch is violent and immoral, but not as scatterbrained. Sneeze changes them back and forth. Hell the manga actually doesn't give a reason for Launch's sudden shift between "actively trying to murder and rob Roshi" to "willing to tolerate the folks around her," anime adds some filler bits to show that shift.

Ah, I've never actually read the manga, though I did just complete a full rewatch of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and I was sad that she basically disappeared except for some filler with Tien.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like Supreme and Old kai are responding to Beerus' little rampage because, in hindsight, it is funny they never did respond in Battle of Gods.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Not sure if its just the director's cut or such, but they did briefly comment on how he was waking up too early, and then advise King Kai not to tell Goku (which wound up tipping Goku off).

Also, gotta say, kinda thrilling to actually be reading a new dragonball series as its being released. Because of pop culture osmosis (and being too young) I never really got a chance to experience the series 'new', except for the 'dragonball' half since that never aired here and I discovered it years later.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

I have to say it's pretty nice to see how quickly Hercule integrates into Goku's circle of friends and family(and for that matter Mister Buu as well), hopefully he'll get some good moments in Super in addition to this scene

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I bet the first episode of Super is going to be that same chapter but padding it out with what the other characters have been doing during the years of peace.

Rirse posted:

I betting the later happened. Red Ribbon Army probably went back to collect the treasure Blue found and Gero took the robot to study.

Android 8 was already around and he was waaay more advanced than the pirate robot, Gero wouldn't have needed that. I believe the pirate robot was just a modern take on the "golem protecting ancient ruins" trope.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
First ep is gonna be that issue but with goku powering up for 5 minutes before he beats up fantasy frieza and cell

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Petiso posted:

I bet the first episode of Super is going to be that same chapter but padding it out with what the other characters have been doing during the years of peace.
I think you might have blocked things out. The padding is gonna be long panning scans of the field being tilled and Goten's reaction to his father training.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zzulu posted:

First ep is gonna be that issue but with goku powering up for 5 minutes before he beats up fantasy frieza and cell

Just how long could 5 minutes of fantasy Frieza time be?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beerus slept for 40 light years

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Heavens above, it's Hercule.
Oh God, it's Hercule.
Strong enough for a man yet gentle enough for a woman, Hercule.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Petiso posted:

According to spoilers posted a few pages back, the anime-only padding will be Goten and Trunks looking for a wedding gift for Videl.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Twiddy posted:

I think you might have blocked things out. The padding is gonna be long panning scans of the field being tilled and Goten's reaction to his father training.

Not to mention several shots of clouds rolling by and maybe some animals noticing the action

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Not to mention several shots of clouds rolling by and maybe some animals noticing the action

Those shots were the better side of filler too. Now if Goku starts getting extended flashbacks of that time he plowed the field five minutes ago and every episode begins with a reanimated recap of the last quarter of the previous episode then we may have a problem

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
First filler arc confirmed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Those shots were the better side of filler too. Now if Goku starts getting extended flashbacks of that time he plowed the field five minutes ago and every episode begins with a reanimated recap of the last quarter of the previous episode then we may have a problem

haha you mean like vegeta kicking perfect cell in the head and immediately after has a flashback to his kick failing?

• Locked thread