Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

Wait seriously? Do you have the instant death bow by that point?

You can buy Killer Bows in Quelb, yes. You may not have !Rapidfire by that point, though, especially if you're speedrunning, which makes it far more luckbased to proc the ID on the seal guardians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, waste your loving eyedrops on the person WHO HAS !RAPIDFIRE. THIS IS SOUND TACTICAL PLANNING.

Noooooooooooooooo

There is literally nothing cooler than rapid fire with shades on. My knight last year with the blood sword and rapid fire was blind for almost the entire third world.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

He just gave the Chicken Knife to his Dancer.

HE HAS A RANGER WITH RAPID FIRE.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

He just gave the Chicken Knife to his Dancer.

HE HAS A RANGER WITH RAPID FIRE.

But you see, without the Chicken Knife, his Sword Dance damage will be abysmal! :downs:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragondarch tactical planning: change your Ranger with !Rapid Fire unlocked into a Red Mage because she "probably has the least damage".

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

KataraniSword posted:

But you see, without the Chicken Knife, his Sword Dance damage will be abysmal! :downs:

I don't know, for the Rift portion of the game at least I think I'd be using the Chicken Knife on my dancer. Yoichi's bow does plenty of damage, as I recall the proc triggers on RapidFire. I've had very good luck with Dancers from an offensive standpoint, I don't know why people pan them so much. Sword Dance becomes reliable at the same part of the game you get the Chicken Knife, which is coincidentally also the same part of the game where good Dancer weapons dry up.

I know this guy is not very good at the game and what have you but I don't think it's a crazy decision.

Kyrosiris posted:

Dragondarch tactical planning: change your Ranger with !Rapid Fire unlocked into a Red Mage because she "probably has the least damage".

Okay, lol, yeah this guy is retarded

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I know somewhere between Jack and poo poo about speedrunning since I have no real interest in it, but even I'm starting to wonder about this guy.

Maybe he's doing it on purpose to troll people. It's a mini-victory for him every time a viewer's eye twitches.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mirthless posted:

I don't know, for the Rift portion of the game at least I think I'd be using the Chicken Knife on my dancer. Yoichi's bow does plenty of damage, as I recall the proc triggers on RapidFire. I've had very good luck with Dancers from an offensive standpoint, I don't know why people pan them so much. Sword Dance becomes reliable at the same part of the game you get the Chicken Knife, which is coincidentally also the same part of the game where good Dancer weapons dry up.

"Reliable" is really, really sugarcoating it unless you're playing Can Of Worms's romhack; even in the best case scenario, Sword Dance is a 50% chance of doing 4x damage. Yes, it comes out to a net gain equal to Chicken Knife Rapidfire, but it's also grossly subject to RNG hate, and in certain areas (read: anywhere with undead like, oh, the first dungeon you can get to after getting the Chicken Knife) the other 50% of the time will outright reduce your Dancer to a puddle of dead disco.

Dancers are not as bad as their naysayers suggest - "competing for weakest of the most broken set of classes" is hardly something to be ashamed of - but they're also not some untouchable bastion of Ribbon-donning godhood like some people imply either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

!Rapid Fire is literally better than !Dance with the Rainbow Dress.

Sword Dance is effectively 4x damage (2x Attack, 2x M) that occurs 50% of the time, so effective 2x damage over infinite timespan.

Rapid Fire is effectively 2x damage (1/2 M, 4 attacks) that has upsides (cannot miss, ignores defense, ignores weapon procs).

On top of that, he's at outrageously inflated levels, and has Monk, so he could Barehanded Sword Dance for upwards of 3k. Which he was doing in world 2, but has stopped because :iiam:.

E: He has now equipped !Red 2 to his Mastered Ranger for Melusine.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I was kind of trying to make that point while at the same time not making it sound like Dancer was terrible.

Another point in !Rapid Fire's favor - again, the two 'miss' results for !Dance, Tempting Tango and Jitterbug - are weak because they run off of a Dancer's mediocre magic, but still do enough damage that if they're reversed (again, undead) they'll instagib your game-worst-vitality rear end (or drain you of all your MP which is more akin to "you just wasted your turn, rear end in a top hat")

(Unless you're Level 35 at the beginning of World 3, in which case 300-500 damage is just a slap on the wrist, especially if you slap !Dance on your Fist Wizard. :laffo:)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 21, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Sword Dance is effectively 4x damage (2x Attack, 2x M) that occurs 50% of the time, so effective 2x damage over infinite timespan.

Rapid Fire is effectively 2x damage (1/2 M, 4 attacks) that has upsides (cannot miss, ignores defense, ignores weapon procs).

On top of that, he's at outrageously inflated levels, and has Monk, so he could Barehanded Sword Dance for upwards of 3k. Which he was doing in world 2, but has stopped because :iiam:.

E: He has now equipped !Red 2 to his Mastered Ranger for Melusine.

Of course, there's also the obvious downside of being unable to choose your targets with Rapid Fire. Which can be a problem against foes that require precise damage control, such as the Crystals or Gargoyles against a team with no decent MT damage. But then again, precise damage isn't exactly the domain of Dance either, so it's a wash.

As for your edit, my theory is looking more and more likely. Or he hit his head recently.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'd still say in the long run the Chicken Knife's a better choice for the Dancer than the Ranger, just because the Dancer's got fewer good weapon options than the Ranger. Yoichi's Bow is great, and only Rangers can use it. (I mean, Equip Bows is technically a thing, except for the Bow accuracy penalty loving things up) Dancer gets, what, Man-eater? Man-Eater's great but it's nowhere near as good as the Chicken Knife. You can always give the Dancer !RapidFire if you don't like the inconsistency of !Dance, they're going to be just as good at as the Ranger is.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 21, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It's a loving Christmas miracle.

As for Dancer vs Ranger with the CK, I'd rather it not take a 20% reduction in effectiveness.

quote:

[03:09:36] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 40 chicken 36
[03:09:37] <@CarbyBot> Level 35, 40 Strength and 36 Agility gives Chicken Knife M of 21
[03:09:41] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 29 chicken 29
[03:09:43] <@CarbyBot> Level 35, 29 Strength and 29 Agility gives Chicken Knife M of 16

After reductions, that's M of 10 vs M of 8; the Dancer can just use Barehanded and punch-dance for 1.8k or so (with low end chance of 6k+ crits).

e: i have just witnessed a man sell the bone mail

i want to die

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 21, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kyrosiris posted:

e: i have just witnessed a man sell the bone mail

i want to die

He sold a ribbon too, apparently.

I'm not watching the stream because sitting in IRC and getting the play-by-play of .dd moments, people's souls shattering, and Kyrosiris inventing ever more elaborate insults and swears is leagues better, and vastly better for my sanity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

"I need to remember to take off the chicken knife towards the end of the fight"

-Dragondarch, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So basically what I'm getting from this is that Dragondarch is a DarkSydePhil sock puppet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dareon posted:

So basically what I'm getting from this is that Dragondarch is a DarkSydePhil sock puppet.

I have no idea what that means, but if that person was so incompetent it is physically painful to behold, then yes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

dis astranagant posted:

"I need to remember to take off the chicken knife towards the end of the fight"

-Dragondarch, 2015

Wait, why does he need to remember to take off the chicken knife????

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mirthless posted:

Wait, why does he need to remember to take off the chicken knife????

So he can put it on his other two characters to fight (berserked) Omniscient, of course!

But then he doesn't, because his ranger is in the back row so !rapidfire with his bow is the same amount of damage and can crit!

:dd:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

"Dance is the best form of damage we got"

~DD 2015, someone with Rapid Fire

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kyrosiris posted:

I have no idea what that means, but if that person was so incompetent it is physically painful to behold, then yes.

Judge for yourself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:stare:

Well, he's not quite as vulgar, but yeah, he's about as incompetent.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

KataraniSword posted:

the other 50% of the time will outright reduce your Dancer to a puddle of dead disco.

DISCO IS NOT DEAD! DISCO IS LIFE!

Just finishing up my WHM/SMN/GEO/CHM practice run. Thank you based Square for making Dragon Fangs farmable in the rift.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The donation goal has been reached! :toot:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Just signed up with a Random Natural Zerker run.

Wait, how does random + natural work?

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 21, 2015

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

ssmagus posted:

Just signed up with a Random Natural Zerker run.

Are you sure you want to use natural? To me the actual interesting parts of fiesta combinations are the interactions between classes brought about by using cross class abilities. Sort of the point of ff5s class system really.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

JibberJabberwocky posted:

Are you sure you want to use natural? To me the actual interesting parts of fiesta combinations are the interactions between classes brought about by using cross class abilities. Sort of the point of ff5s class system really.

Nah, I'm fine with natural. If I do a second run, It will not be natural.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alright, after having my poo poo pushed in by Wing Raptor last night I tried again and he's a chump, I just have to be careful to heal before I go in and use a potion now and then. Other than that it's literally just "keep attacking to win".

Now I'm definitely ready, can't wait for the Fiesta to start tomorrow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Less than 14 hours to change your registration to chaos risk like Gilgamesh intended.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Mikl posted:

Alright, after having my poo poo pushed in by Wing Raptor last night I tried again and he's a chump, I just have to be careful to heal before I go in and use a potion now and then. Other than that it's literally just "keep attacking to win".

Now I'm definitely ready, can't wait for the Fiesta to start tomorrow.

How in the world does one have any kind of trouble against Wing Raptor? :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Maleketh posted:

How in the world does one have any kind of trouble against Wing Raptor? :psyduck:

By going in with all characters under 10 hp :downs: and getting obliterated by its first move ever.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mikl posted:

By going in with all characters under 10 hp :downs: and getting obliterated by its first move ever.

How do you even reach the boss that badly beaten-up, though? You know there's a free full heal near the entrance to the shrine, right?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Maleketh posted:

How do you even reach the boss that badly beaten-up, though? You know there's a free full heal near the entrance to the shrine, right?

First time playing FFV. Got up to Wing Raptor, then noticed the chest in the other stairway, backtracked to it, then backtracked to Wing Raptor, all the while fighting random enemies and not healing at all. Damage adds up.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Wow I'm an idiot. I was thinking this entire time the run started at midnight eastern. Not in 30 minutes from now.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Is there a recommended emulator for FFV (for a mac)? Looks like my old GBA is no longer in working condition.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Ugato posted:

Wow I'm an idiot. I was thinking this entire time the run started at midnight eastern. Not in 30 minutes from now.

No, it starts at midnight tonight. Oh wait, the Run, not the Fiesta. :downs:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mikl posted:

Are....are you dragondarch?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Are....are you dragondarch?

Refer to this:

Mikl posted:

First time playing FFV. Got up to Wing Raptor, then noticed the chest in the other stairway, backtracked to it, then backtracked to Wing Raptor, all the while fighting random enemies and not healing at all. Damage adds up.

It was a :downs: moment on my part. As soon as the battle started I thought "wait poo poo, I probably should have healed before I approached that thing" :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Run still hasn't started for me. It's Noon damnit! Entertain me!

• Locked thread