Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That Gamespot author is already getting death threats for only giving the game a 70% (which seems perfect from what I've experienced so far). As we all expected the first time you use the batmobile is very well done, every other time is really blatant "we made a batmobile, gotta use it as much as possible" padding moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

ImpAtom posted:

Never buy season passes beforehand. Never.

Almost every single time the following will happen:

A) You won't like the game.
B) The season pass content won't be out for months after the game is out.
C) In the case of B, the season pass itself will go on sale at some point before the content is out.
D) The season pass content will be lovely or not worth the money.
E) Some of the season pass content will be good but it will be cheaper to buy just the good content instead of all the content.

This is so true buying a season pass has never worked out for me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Has there been any word on pre-loading on Steam for this?

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Got the season pass off of Steam for $30, should I be feeling buyer's remorse already? Kinda seems like at least the DLC this time might provide some more substance than the previous games but is it even worth it?

No it's a loving stupid thing to do but it's too late now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Is that console footage? If so it looks a hell of a lot better than I thought it would.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Is that console footage? If so it looks a hell of a lot better than I thought it would.

Most of the footage has been console. It's a drat good looking game on all systems.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jesus, I hope they let us preload.

I do not look forward to downloading 45+ GB on launch day with my 2.2 MB as second internet.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lmao 45 gigs?

Even a game this huge and pretty can't justify that.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Ekster posted:

lmao 45 gigs?

Even a game this huge and pretty can't justify that.

Sure it can. Uncompressed files!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Games are only getting bigger. I picked up Shadows of Mordor off this summer's steam sale and that motherfucker was 42 gigs. It didn't even have the decency to look really pretty for it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They should do a thing where you can get some kind of rebate on a bigger HD or something if you buy tons of PSN or big disk games. I know gouging on memory was the way to $$$ for all of the console makers at one point or another (except for the Vita which even today :wtc: ) but like the ONLY purpose of a big hard drive is that it makes it easier to spend money and download more stuff.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm not a (professional) programmer by any means but have they never heard of lossless compression or something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Welcome to 2013, when modern AAA video games stopped being less than 20 GB

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Welcome to 2013, when modern AAA video games stopped being less than 20 GB

Admittedly, Witcher 3 which was one of the biggest games I've ever played was only 21~ Gigabytes. Compression and good asset use is a thing, but I suspect some developers don't/can't be bothered?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pierson posted:

EDIT: I've been hearing from friends the only part of this game that doesn't measure up might be the Batmobile itself. Any truth to this?

Literally every review of the game is explicity saying this. Great Batman game, probably the definitive Batman experience, Batmobile sections are repetitive and boring and they keep making you do them.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Funky Valentine posted:

Jesus, I hope they let us preload.

I do not look forward to downloading 45+ GB on launch day with my 2.2 MB as second internet.

I bought it off the. Xbox store yesterday and it preloaded immediately, if that's a comfort.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Crappy Jack posted:

Literally every review of the game is explicity saying this. Great Batman game, probably the definitive Batman experience, Batmobile sections are repetitive and boring and they keep making you do them.

Vehicle sections being a drag???? who could have predicted this

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've only been playing for a few hours so far, but I don't mind the batmobile stuff at all. It's not the best part of the game, but it's not bad either.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, at the start of the game, based off that cinematic, it's at Pauly's diner. I was replaying Asylum today, and in the opening cutscene, the batmobile drives by Pauly's diner. Nice tiny callback.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, at the start of the game, based off that cinematic, it's at Pauly's diner. I was replaying Asylum today, and in the opening cutscene, the batmobile drives by Pauly's diner. Nice tiny callback.

It's a reference to Paul Dini

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's a reference to Paul Dini

*shrug* I guess

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gunder posted:

I've only been playing for a few hours so far, but I don't mind the batmobile stuff at all. It's not the best part of the game, but it's not bad either.

From what I've read their biggest sin is being boring and too common. I haven't heard much saying "Yea this is bad and lovely" just "Yea this is a really simple, boring, system that they kept making me do, that wasn't fun".

But yea aside from the shoehorned in batmobile poo poo being bad (that no one ever could have predicted at all of course) the fact that this is basically a near perfect refinement of past Arkham systems makes up for it so at least they didn't sacrifice the real game to give us crappy tankfights.

The driving itself did look fairly fun, though. They showed off a Firefly chase that looked neat, it seems the main boredom is the tank poo poo proper because it's just hopping around avoiding super obvious blue lines and hitting 'shoot' until your special gauge fills.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
You mean from earlier in the thread? Way to go, gumshoe!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Weren't they bragging that the Batmobile's model took more space than the entirety of Arkham Asylum?

That doesn't scream "awesome" to me, but rather "but the gently caress did you do wrong?"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

From what I've read their biggest sin is being boring and too common. I haven't heard much saying "Yea this is bad and lovely" just "Yea this is a really simple, boring, system that they kept making me do, that wasn't fun".

"Feature creep" is probably the best way I've seen the Batmobile described.

Does there look to be much replay value or is there simply a poo poo load of content in the main game to begin with?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Weren't they bragging that the Batmobile's model took more space than the entirety of Arkham Asylum?

That doesn't scream "awesome" to me, but rather "but the gently caress did you do wrong?"

A 6.7 gigabyte model? How the hell would you manage that. (In a release format. I guess uncompressed with super high quality textures would make sense)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poptart_fairy posted:

"Feature creep" is probably the best way I've seen the Batmobile described.

Does there look to be much replay value or is there simply a poo poo load of content in the main game to begin with?

Yeah, thats pretty much what i have been hearing. Its not bad and it controls pretty well, but its overused and feels forced.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The (rather abrupt) ending of the Harley Quinn story DLC.

Just a fight against Nightwing, who's functionally a stun baton enemy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

iGestalt posted:

A 6.7 gigabyte model? How the hell would you manage that. (In a release format. I guess uncompressed with super high quality textures would make sense)

It was in terms of poly count, but I can't remember what the comparison was between.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ekster posted:

I'm not a (professional) programmer by any means but have they never heard of lossless compression or something?

Blueray gives you 54Gb to stream from at insane bandwidths without the need to decompress and we're in a console world now. Also 'lossless' in compression contexts is about perceptual quality loss, you'd still nail some cycles decompressing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

iGestalt posted:

Admittedly, Witcher 3 which was one of the biggest games I've ever played was only 21~ Gigabytes. Compression and good asset use is a thing, but I suspect some developers don't/can't be bothered?

The biggest offender is usually large video files more than anything else. inFamous Second Son is gorgeous and detailed, but it's only 24GB because only 4 of its cutscenes are pre-rendered videos. Witcher 3 is the same - outside of the gameplay it's all art slides and real-time cutscenes. Big games are usually big because their cutscenes are prerendered - TLOUR, Wolfenstein, etc. GTAV is the only exception I can think of - it's all real-time but is like 55GB because... well... GTA. Shadow of Mordor also has video cutscenes, although I believe it's still about 35-37GB without them. Sometimes it's bad use of compression and stuff, but generally I think games will shrink in size overall if more devs go with real-time.

Does anyone know if Arkham Knight uses pre-rendered cutscenes?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

Does anyone know if Arkham Knight uses pre-rendered cutscenes?

I don't think it does. Someone mentioned all of them being in-engine now, so your outfit choices will show up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BreakAtmo posted:

GTAV is the only exception I can think of - it's all real-time but is like 55GB because... well... GTA.

It's got a ridiculous amount of audio (including a 400+ song soundtrack.) Sound can take up a lot of space. I think a bunch of Mordor's space is similar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

iGestalt posted:

I don't think it does. Someone mentioned all of them being in-engine now, so your outfit choices will show up.

Hmm, that's interesting. I guess it may actually be sheer weight of assets. Good to hear about skins appearing in cutscenes though. Honestly I think an Asylum/City/Origins remastered collection would be best if they actually went to the effort of making all the cutscenes real-time to allow for that - the Arkham games have so many goddamned skins.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's got a ridiculous amount of audio (including a 400+ song soundtrack.) Sound can take up a lot of space. I think a bunch of Mordor's space is similar.

Of course, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Neo Rasa posted:

That Gamespot author is already getting death threats for only giving the game a 70% (which seems perfect from what I've experienced so far). As we all expected the first time you use the batmobile is very well done, every other time is really blatant "we made a batmobile, gotta use it as much as possible" padding moment.

Another example that if you just bullshit and give it a 10, people will write death threats later, and if you give it a 7, they'll do it today.

I knew they would just pretty much batmobile batmobile batmobile in your face, the arkham insider was loving annoying at portraying that.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Almost done with the main story thread. My only major complaint is that there are a lot of "puzzles", usually Batmobile or gliding-centric, where I know what they're asking me to do and I just can't make it happen with the physics/controls. I get it eventually, but it doesn't feel very badass to smack the Batmobile face-first into walls a dozen times before I succeed.

Batman is incredibly stiff in dialogue scenes. Just because the cowl didn't allow for head movement in the movies doesn't mean the CG game character can't move even a little.

Swapping between Robin and Bats and picking off enemies while they trade one-liners is fantastic, and I want a lot more of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ville Valo posted:

Almost done with the main story thread. My only major complaint is that there are a lot of "puzzles", usually Batmobile or gliding-centric, where I know what they're asking me to do and I just can't make it happen with the physics/controls. I get it eventually, but it doesn't feel very badass to smack the Batmobile face-first into walls a dozen times before I succeed.

Batman is incredibly stiff in dialogue scenes. Just because the cowl didn't allow for head movement in the movies doesn't mean the CG game character can't move even a little.

Swapping between Robin and Bats and picking off enemies while they trade one-liners is fantastic, and I want a lot more of it.

yeah, batman has always been stiff in the arkham games. though he was a little better in origins. So i am not surprised.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really impressed with how loving great this looks on console. been hearing it's completely smooth too, which is a welcome change from the buggy as gently caress releases like Bloodborne/MKX/Witcher 3 we got earlier this year

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
MKX was a perfectly smooth 60FPS at launch though? :v:

But yeah. 30FPS doesn't bother me if the game can actually stick to it. Bloodborne and the Witcher 3 were really hurt by the noticeable dips in smoothness, which I could've dealt with if they weren't so reliant on timing and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:siren:SPOILERS:siren:

That explains a lot

• Locked thread