Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the only good thing about python is itertools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

triple sulk posted:

the only good thing about python is itertools it has a library for every scientific community there is

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

triple sulk posted:

the only good thing about python is that you can not use it

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Yeah this is it. I think your other options are like c++ and matlab.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

triple sulk posted:

the only good thing about python is itertools

even itertools is annoying

"here's a long list of all the useful functions we are deliberately only putting in the documentation so you have to copy and paste them into your own program if you want to use them"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

His writing is bad but his points are all good.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i need a new project

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 20, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

i need a new project

i picked an algorithm that seemed cool (voxel octree stuff), then realised that i probably needed to render it to test it properly and realised that once i had a working voxel engine with rendering and mouse picking (not yet) then i'd be p much half way to a minecraft clone

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

i picked an algorithm that seemed cool (voxel octree stuff), then realised that i probably needed to render it to test it properly and realised that once i had a working voxel engine with rendering and mouse picking (not yet) then i'd be p much half way to a minecraft clone

http://voxeljs.com/

go on, you know you want to look

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
that looks cool, maybe i'll have a look at how it does its maths because mine isn't quite working right
i'd never actually use it myself because, you know, js.

the other half of this project is for me to learn f#, visual studio and modern opengl

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i need a new project

getting a job really took care of wanting a project for me

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

gonadic io posted:

that looks cool, maybe i'll have a look at how it does its maths because mine isn't quite working right
i'd never actually use it myself because, you know, js.

the other half of this project is for me to learn f#, visual studio and modern opengl

id say focus on the math side for now and dont bother too much digging far into opengl because it'll become very obsolete very soon when vulkan and dx12 become available

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

http://voxeljs.com/

go on, you know you want to look

holy hell what a punchable face

probably not a bad lookin guy without the awful, awful hair

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
new member of the lone gunmen looking linuxy

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Soricidus posted:

even itertools is annoying

"here's a long list of all the useful functions we are deliberately only putting in the documentation so you have to copy and paste them into your own program if you want to use them"

Yeah its stupid. At least I think in 3 they changed a lot of the default stuff to use generators instead of lists... like ifilter and imap became default.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

holy hell what a punchable face

probably not a bad lookin guy without the awful, awful hair

it is aposematic coiffure

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that beard is absolute poo poo

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dessert Rose posted:

lol no. i work on lyn..skype for business

auto is beautiful, use it everywhere.

my condolences

that team always seemed like it was on fire, the server side was failing hard and the client kind of sucked b/c old mcirosoft lmao

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

a first is the best, which about 15% of graduates get
a 2.1 is the second best, which about 50% of graduates get
a 2.2 is the third best, which about 30% of graduates get
a third is the worst, which about 5% of graduates get

this is what happens when you have eight-hundred-year-old universities

we got an email today telling us the degree classification stats. i remembered this post and it was almost exactly on point lol

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i am reading about go because i need to maintain a utility that's written in go and every time I see interface{} as a function parameter i am just loving blown away by the stupidity

also

Append

Now we have the missing piece we needed to explain the design of the append built-in function. The signature of append is different from our custom Append function above. Schematically, it's like this:

func append(slice []T, elements ...T) []T
where T is a placeholder for any given type. You can't actually write a function in Go where the type T is determined by the caller. That's why append is built in: it needs support from the compiler.

KILL OYUR SELF ROB PIKE (is that the guy who made this language?)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

i need a new project

my current project is I have an old program that does windirstat's thing in 1/10th the time, but it's from 2002. so I'm seeing how fast I can enumerate my ssd's directory structure and find the largest files on it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 21, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

i am reading about go because i need to maintain a utility that's written in go and every time I see interface{} as a function parameter i am just loving blown away by the stupidity

also

Append

Now we have the missing piece we needed to explain the design of the append built-in function. The signature of append is different from our custom Append function above. Schematically, it's like this:

func append(slice []T, elements ...T) []T
where T is a placeholder for any given type. You can't actually write a function in Go where the type T is determined by the caller. That's why append is built in: it needs support from the compiler.

KILL OYUR SELF ROB PIKE (is that the guy who made this language?)

lol forever.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
but actually go is good!! rob pike is smart!!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the only good thing about go is it lets you immediately realize when someone has terrible opinions about programming languages

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

only nerds in their ivory towers would care about making their own container data types with static type safety

if you can't just rely on the static type safety of the built in container types, you're doing something wrong and need to rethink how you're going about the problem

nobody would ever need a different hashtable than the built in golang one

that's just reinventing the wheel

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

I bet I'd like c++ a lot more if I didn't treat it as a c extension

this is the best way to write c++ imo

pretend it's c, forget the asinine approach to oop and cherrypick a few of the best features

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

golang is for programmers who get poo poo done and dont jack off in their ivory towers about type systems

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

interface{} is just like duck typing and you dont see people complain about that in python

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

but actually go is good!! rob pike is smart!!

I had high hopes for rob pike, I mean he is the co-author of the smart dog book (practice of programming)

what happened

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
people used to say java was bad because really smart people wrote the language for use by idiots. this was largely untrue

golang actually is that language. rob pike is implicitly telling us we don't need generics because we're too stupid to write typed data structures anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

comedyblissoption posted:

interface{} is just like duck typing and you dont see people complain about that in python

other than hundreds of posts in yospos about how terrible python is

no you never see complaints

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

rob pike is stealing the blood and sweat and tears of a great amount of naive programmers lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

golang is for programmers who get poo poo done and dont jack off in their ivory towers about type systems

lol sure
the language that nobody uses is to get poo poo done

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

python doesnt pretend to be a modern systems language for writing high reliability tools in

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i forgot about poe's law

there are actually people that defend the lack of generics in go

http://andlabs.lostsig.com/blog/2014/12/09/189/thoughts-on-generics
http://blog.jonathanoliver.com/golang-has-generics/
https://splice.com/blog/golang-improved-simplicity-reduced-maintenance/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

duck typing is so awful they're taking it out of python lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

defenders of go are so retarded that a bunch of people above thought you were being serious in your last few posts :cawg:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol if you dont bite on every troll bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i wasnt even trying to troll i was being sarcastic immediately after i said golang is poo poo

golang is so bad that you can say something sarcastic right after you bash golang and people will think youre being serious b/c this is what golangers actually believe

• Locked thread