Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Ozz81 posted:

My first needful was in '08 working IT for a utility company - I had to stop, re-read it out of disbelief, then show it to my co-worker and giggle

My first needful was 2011 and I was organising part of LARGECOMPANYS move into India.

I thought they were taking the piss so I rang poor Sanjeef up and had a go at him. Felt like a dickhead when I found out its just what they say though.

Slight justification : The team in India had just accidentally migrated dev to prod and sent me an email stating "The development database was migrated to the production database. This is not intended. Please do the needful"

Baxta fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

In lieu of actual notes for the people he was giving the presentation to?

No, at least, it was just for his own, uh, self.

Dragyn posted:

My IT Director does this all the time.. except it's a copy for the three of us that report to him, and we all just put it in the recycling bin that day because we already had the electronic one.

I'm convinced that he's a Captain Planet villain.

Yeesh.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

Weird. I've been using a 7 ISO I downloaded from Microsoft sometime in 2013 and it does it all fine with the HP machines we use.
I can confirm that I've had Dell OEM keys not work on stock Win7 ISOs, it gets all the way through the install process then throws up an "Activation failed" after you log in the first time. I had to hunt down an "OEM version" ISO, which installed and activated fine. Maybe Dell uses a different licensing model than HP?

Drink and Fight posted:

So was this like one slide per page, or the default three slides per page and the longest Powerpoint ever? Even 200 slides sounds pretty mind-numbing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Dell W7 keys work fine on generic ISOs, but you might have to do phone activation.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

c0ldfuse posted:

Sorry to jump into this thread with an unrelated subject, but I'm looking for a hard drive out of an IBM PC 5150 / Intel 8085. Long story short, we have an old injection molding machine which had the HDD die yesterday and can't seem to put my hands on one in googling.

I figure one of you has to be in charge of some horrific graveyard where it might be located.

Reminds me of John Titor. You'd think at some point somebody would've realized it'd be easier to write an emulator and build an adapter dongle than a time machine.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
CEO of the bank just called me and asked me to verify something about one of the projectors we use for portable presentations.

The only problem with this is the projector he asked about is in the CFO's bank vehicle...which is over 3+ hours away physically. Plus the CFO went on vacation to Europe yesterday and took the only set of keys with him so even if I could get to the vehicle I wouldn't be able to get into it.

Sigh. Somehow this will be my fault.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Call a locksmith from your location, have him get into the vehicle, and offer him an extra 20 bucks to check out the projector while he's in there. :v:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Call a locksmith from your location, have him get into the vehicle, and offer him an extra 20 bucks to check out the projector while he's in there. :v:

I solved it by demounting one of the boardroom projectors we have for them to use for the next two weeks since that's how long the CFO will be gone. Now one of our boardrooms only has two projectors because three was apparently a sensible number when they initially set it up.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Knormal posted:

I can confirm that I've had Dell OEM keys not work on stock Win7 ISOs, it gets all the way through the install process then throws up an "Activation failed" after you log in the first time. I had to hunt down an "OEM version" ISO, which installed and activated fine. Maybe Dell uses a different licensing model than HP?

So was this like one slide per page, or the default three slides per page and the longest Powerpoint ever? Even 200 slides sounds pretty mind-numbing.

No, one per page. I don't even know. His office is perpetually buried in paper. One day he'll disappear, and we'll find him ten years later mummified amongst the stacks.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A hard drive came in!

In a box.

With a six inch square of bubble wrap in the corner.

And a packing slip.

And that's it.

Oh, I forgot to mention the indentations in the box from the hard drive slamming into the side of it.

:wtc: B&H?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

:wtc: may be the wrong emote since B&H is owned and run entirely by ultra-orthodox Jews.

I used to work catty-corner from the store and always loved going in to see their inventory control system at work. You gotta have the opening music from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure playing in your head or on your headphones when you go in - plastic containers rolling around on tracks everywhere! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaHxjNRT_E

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm always amazed at what gets called "cost prohibitive." I know about sunk cost and the bike shed phenomenon, but still.

Once upon a time I remember being told when trying to get an order authorised; "Why do we need to buy these phone screen protectors and cases? I've used them and they don't work that well..."

I don't give a gently caress, they only cost a couple of quid a pop and will help against the monkeys that wield them for when they crack a £500 phone screen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We used to supply iPads with lovely cases and screen protectors on as a CYA type move, so when people took them off and then smashed them up we could point to the agreement they signed when they got the devices that contained something along the lines of not having some form of protection on the device would class as being negligent, which left people open to more formal disciplinary action if they wanted to be a dick about it.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Our domain controller, AD, main print server etc (pretty much everything) is on a server running Windows 2012 EVALUATION and it's started making noises about needing validation.

My presumably crackhead predecessor seems to have semi-successfully botched the "restart every hour" thing with some attempted reg hack, though it sometimes reboots as I found out when our telephony, connection, phone database, call recording suite, all vanished for a little while creating absolute mayhmem. So now I'm checking the drat server every couple hours. It's kind of become a top priority.

Nobody can find the licensing information. I've been sworn to that it isn't a bent copy of Windows Server, which I suggested as I was fed up and wanting to push some buttons. This from the same guy behind Cablegate. Uh.

OK, so how to fix this thing. A legit serial might be a start.

What I've read up suggests either 1) make a copy running a legit Windows Server install, which if I'm going to do I may as well just go the whole hog and rip it up and start again with a new box I've configured myself as there are some things I'd do differently anyway (EG I'd use logic, the phone call recording system doesn't work as it points at the server it's running on rather than the Mitel server and I even got the developers on the phone who basically told me it's nonsensical), or 2) It's probably possible albeit tedious to take this server down to upgrade in the way you'd expect, but MS's official upgrade steps are pessimistic about me not having to do step 1).

Fun fact: This guy's Amazon doubles as "the company's" Amazon login so I have access. I log in and in the basket is... (bear in mind this guy has no daughters) - well, I wonder what HIS weekends consist of?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Nobody can find the licensing information. I've been sworn to that it isn't a bent copy of Windows Server, which I suggested as I was fed up and wanting to push some buttons. This from the same guy behind Cablegate. Uh.

OK, so how to fix this thing. A legit serial might be a start.

I'd bet money that best-case, someone bought shady keys on the internet.

If you have legit keys, then there shouldn't be any problem getting in touch with Microsoft to figure everything out, they're probably just registered to the CEO's personal email or something.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This %100. Is there anyone out there that actually still allows inbound .zip or .exe attachments? It's easier and more manageable to block all of them and then make an exception for the special snowflake in marketing who gets zip files of photos for some reason.

Our HQ is in another country. They have a policy to send files to other company employees in a zip because you can add a password, and send the password in another email.

Our site blocked all incoming zip and exe files.

To get around this, HQ implemented a script on all out going attachments that scramble the file extension (zip) to something else and automatically adds a line in the email to tell the receiver to rename to zip.

Its so awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drink and Fight posted:

If anything that only begs more questions...

Can he not, like, look at it on his laptop while he presses the next button?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Fun fact: This guy's Amazon doubles as "the company's" Amazon login so I have access. I log in and in the basket is... (bear in mind this guy has no daughters) - well, I wonder what HIS weekends consist of?

the last comapny I worked for did this. except the cio wouldn't share his login, he would just tell him to send him links to what we needed and he would ignore them.
Shouldn't be a problem right? Well he would never actually order what we needed, even when standing right behind him at his desk, talking him through every click.
Best we got was him putting things in a cart and promising to do it later.

The one time I did get him to share his login, I really wish he hadn't.
I didn't know you could buy just the rear end of a Real Doll.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 21, 2015

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

That guy and my nemesis should get together, between the wigs and asses of a RealDoll they can probably build something to have a threesome with

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In more boring ATCI... does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about testing the strength of user's passwords?

The company board is requesting we give a report on our "resilience to cyber-attacks" after the chairman of the board almost took the company down with cryptowall, and I'm hoping to use the occasion to lobby for better password practices as almost all of our users have awful ones. It would help if I could demonstrate objectively how awful they are as I figure if they're going to shoot themselves in the foot blaming us then I want to load the gun with buckshot.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Ghostlight posted:

In more boring ATCI... does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about testing the strength of user's passwords?

The company board is requesting we give a report on our "resilience to cyber-attacks" after the chairman of the board almost took the company down with cryptowall, and I'm hoping to use the occasion to lobby for better password practices as almost all of our users have awful ones. It would help if I could demonstrate objectively how awful they are as I figure if they're going to shoot themselves in the foot blaming us then I want to load the gun with buckshot.

Just ask them.

Seriously.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well, I know they're atrocious because I do ask for passwords and a) 80% of users give it to me without even questioning why, b) the same rough percentage are just a single word with a number - a good portion are just the default password we make accounts with but with a number at the end to meet complexity requirements. I was looking more at harvesting a 'seconds-to-brute-force' sort of metric to put into the sort of graph that board members understand.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Filebound. :negative:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ghostlight posted:

I was looking more at harvesting a 'seconds-to-brute-force' sort of metric to put into the sort of graph that board members understand.

https://howsecureismypassword.net

It’s a function of length more than complexity unless you’re talking unicode glyphs, so you could literally just put the results of “a”, “aa”’, etc into a chart and put the passwords of people in the company into the sheet by level of “how hosed we would be if they got hacked”, like “there are 30 avenues through which we’d go out of business because 30 people in critical positions have .05 second hackable passwords, and all 30 of them gave their password to someone unidentified over the phone who claimed to be IT.”

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ursine Asylum posted:

https://howsecureismypassword.net

It’s a function of length more than complexity unless you’re talking unicode glyphs, so you could literally just put the results of “a”, “aa”’, etc into a chart and put the passwords of people in the company into the sheet by level of “how hosed we would be if they got hacked”, like “there are 30 avenues through which we’d go out of business because 30 people in critical positions have .05 second hackable passwords, and all 30 of them gave their password to someone unidentified over the phone who claimed to be IT.”

239 duodecillion years
Suck it assholes!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes let's all type our password in some random website good idea.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spankmeister posted:

Yes let's all type our password in some random website good idea.

For god's sake, don't actually type your good passwords into the website.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

gently caress, I could just send that website to everyone and lock the account of anyone who types their password into a website that explicitly tells them it could steal it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wasn't there another site like that, except when you started to type something into the field it said pretty much this? This site is just an ad for some cloud password manager.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Wasn't there another site like that, except when you started to type something into the field it said pretty much this? This site is just an ad for some cloud password manager.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130726025043/http://www.ismytwitterpasswordsecure.com/ is the one I'm familiar with, but it's gone now.

But it really irritates me how it gives the "NO NO NO" message when you start typing in the username field.

Ghostlight posted:

gently caress, I could just send that website to everyone and lock the account of anyone who types their password into a website that explicitly tells them it could steal it.

Do make sure they enter their actual password and not something with a similar complexity level.

Though it looks like that site gives vast overestimates of strength for anything with words inside it; it treats them as random letters.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 22, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of passwords, https://github.com/juuso/BozoCrack

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Now that's a good way to do it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dylan16807 posted:

Though it looks like that site gives vast overestimates of strength for anything with words inside it; it treats them as random letters.

It’s explicitly ‘time to brute force’, i’d assume, not taking any dictionaries or tables into account

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Asylum posted:

It’s explicitly ‘time to brute force’, i’d assume, not taking any dictionaries or tables into account
It does have some list of popular passwords, so if you put in "password" or "Password" or "123qwe" or "qwertyuiop" it says it'll get cracked instantly.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hey guys did you know if you type in your password it shows up as ******?

Try it!

*********** see? :haw:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

J posted:

Hey guys did you know if you type in your password it shows up as ******?

Try it!

*********** see? :haw:
Ancient jokes

http://bash.org/?244321 posted:

<Cthon98> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Cthon98> ********* see!
<AzureDiamond> hunter2
<AzureDiamond> doesnt look like stars to me
<Cthon98> <AzureDiamond> *******
<Cthon98> thats what I see
<AzureDiamond> oh, really?
<Cthon98> Absolutely
<AzureDiamond> you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2
<AzureDiamond> haha, does that look funny to you?
<Cthon98> lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that
<Cthon98> yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> awesome!
<AzureDiamond> wait, how do you know my pw?
<Cthon98> er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as hunter2 cause its your pw
<AzureDiamond> oh, ok.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/password-alert/noondiphcddnnabmjcihcjfbhfklnnep

Customize slightly, push to all desktops.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

anthonypants posted:

Ancient jokes

I'd post "whoosh" except that this post is more like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE *splat*.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Ancient jokes

I saw someone post a better version to Facebook today, it said:

Find your hacker name with your last name and email password! With a matrix photo background. Like those "find your $clickbait name" posts. It snagged a few folks, comically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I saw someone post a better version to Facebook today, it said:

Find your hacker name with your last name and email password! With a matrix photo background. Like those "find your $clickbait name" posts. It snagged a few folks, comically.

Please, please tell me it just tells anyone who uses it that their hacker name is "idiot."

• Locked thread