Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Chichevache posted:

This is the ranting echo chamber though. I don't know what else you expect.:confused:

And his rant is about people who complain too much. Seems pretty appropriate to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

the beef is real

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That your girl?

ayyyyyy lmao

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
We should all take this as a moment to reflect on those who believe but are not blessed with the purest form of our lord and savior, Aerostich.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I had 4 different cars try to pull out in front of me today. I'm usually pretty passive in those situations but after #3 made my ABS kick on, I gave him the finger and shouted some choice words.

I know it's easy to miss bikes, but I generally don't have much trouble. Guess it's national kill a biker day or something. On the up side I did pass a nasty rear-end wreck that wasn't me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This is the beef thread, sorry

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

revmoo posted:

That your girl?

ayyyyyy lmao

Nah, I'm in the back.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
This is the internet. Nothing is real, even the things that are real are not in fact real. Taking the internet serious is just plain dumb.

If nsap (or z3n or slavvy etc etc) ruffles your feathers then you are doing it wrong. Chill out, life is just a game, relax and have fun.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

No. 6 posted:

I know it's easy to miss bikes

OMG, I didn't even see you!

- Every driver staring down at a motorcyclist writhing in pain, ever

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's amazing how much you can miss when you don't pay attention to what you're doing

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
What I find ... funny I guess, is that after riding a bike for over a year, every day with almost no exceptions, I realize how completely and totally distracting it is to be driving a car. Holy poo poo. It's like: windows, radio, passenger. Then it's so boring that I find my mind wandering.

I think it's safer for me to ride rather than drive. When I ride, I have to pay attention to the stuff around me.

That said, the situational awareness of a lot of people seems to be sorely lacking. I've been behind cars that have drivers who never, over miles, look in their rearviews, for instance, or to the sides. It's weird.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm going to posit that 80% of drivers never proactively check their mirrors unless they're changing lanes (and often not even then).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's not just a matter of being distracted, I myself have almost pulled in front of a bike due to the angle of the road, and the blind spot from my A pillar. Luckily I do check twice before driving.

Still, there is no excuse for pulling in front of someone in a 90 degree 4 way intersection except not looking. And more often than not it's assholes not paying attention.

This morning I was riding and noticed the girl in the car ahead was applying blush while driving, taking her eyes off the road to select the right colors and apply them to her brush. I rode up alongside and honked and waved my finger at her, only to see it's my drat colleague. I called her out on it later in the day but she didn't seem phased. >:(

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

No. 6 posted:

she didn't seem phased. >:(

Well, she made it to work, why would she be concerned in the slightest? Clearly it's OK because nothing bad happened.

:commissar:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

I'm going to posit that 80% of drivers never proactively check their mirrors unless they're changing lanes (and often not even then).

That was me until I crashed and got sent on a driver improvement course, which culminated in the instructor telling me that my driving was technically flawless apart from the fact that I just wasn't checking my drat mirrors. Now my head's on a swivel near constantly yet I'm still surprised when a splitter goes past my window

Tbf the roads here are pretty narrow and there aren't a massive number of bikes anyway, so it's not a common enough occurrence to easily get used to.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Dielectric posted:

Well, she made it to work, why would she be concerned in the slightest? Clearly it's OK because nothing bad happened.

:commissar:

This is exactly why 99.95% believe they're a better than average driver.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

No. 6 posted:

It's not just a matter of being distracted, I myself have almost pulled in front of a bike due to the angle of the road, and the blind spot from my A pillar. Luckily I do check twice before driving.

Still, there is no excuse for pulling in front of someone in a 90 degree 4 way intersection except not looking. And more often than not it's assholes not paying attention.

This morning I was riding and noticed the girl in the car ahead was applying blush while driving, taking her eyes off the road to select the right colors and apply them to her brush. I rode up alongside and honked and waved my finger at her, only to see it's my drat colleague. I called her out on it later in the day but she didn't seem phased. >:(

You're just lucky you weren't shot for acting in a "threatening" manner.

I'm done with trying to teach drivers how to drive. Just get a bag full of ninja rocks, toss a few over your shoulder, and zoom-zoom away.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

It's amazing how much you can miss when you don't pay attention to what you're doing

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

revmoo posted:

Or paying too much attention to what they're doing.

I got home not too long ago and some dude in a Mercedes kept revving up some other cars rear end back-and-forth, it was was very light traffic which was moving without stopping so the guy was just being a douche. Of course I'm in a lane besides him and just waiting for the guy to pull some kind of stunt, lo-and behold he goes to swerve into my lane to try and belt past the car in front.

I kept just enough distance and the guy backed out half way through, gently caress you guy have some of my crappy horn :mad:

Then later on a young girl decided to run across the road mid-way through my taking a turn into a junction.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

What I find ... funny I guess, is that after riding a bike for over a year, every day with almost no exceptions, I realize how completely and totally distracting it is to be driving a car. Holy poo poo. It's like: windows, radio, passenger. Then it's so boring that I find my mind wandering.

I think it's safer for me to ride rather than drive. When I ride, I have to pay attention to the stuff around me.

That said, the situational awareness of a lot of people seems to be sorely lacking. I've been behind cars that have drivers who never, over miles, look in their rearviews, for instance, or to the sides. It's weird.

I'm like this to the point where I'm now a much more careless and blase driver than I was before I got into bikes. I feel like everything in the car happens sooo sloooowllyyyyy and you always have so much time to react to whatever is happening that you don't need to pay attention. I know this isn't true so I try to push through that feeling and treat the car the way I would a desperately slow and huge motorcycle with a really view-restricting helmet. I try to consciously control where in the lane I position the car, where I initiate turns etc etc

It's a daily thing for me to see cars driving around with their side mirrors folded in.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When I'm in the car my bike spider-sense is constantly going off. It's kind of annoying. "Oh poo poo that car's gonna pull out" "Oh wait, who the gently caress cares I'm going 25mph and I could use a new car gratis from some dickhead"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

When I'm in the car my bike spider-sense is constantly going off. It's kind of annoying. "Oh poo poo that car's gonna pull out" "Oh wait, who the gently caress cares I'm going 25mph and I could use a new car gratis from some dickhead"

This too, constantly. I get itchy going past side roads with cars waiting to pull out and doing the hop-forward-stop bullshit idiots always do, then I realise I'm in a huge white box they can't possibly miss.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I will say, one thing that makes me a bit nervous in the car is that often there's nowhere to escape. On a bike I can dodge, swerve, etc, take up a lot less space, and there's a lot more escape routes. In a car if someone barrels down on you at a red light you have to just sit there and get hit.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hey, at least you're not on a trike and can straddle over obstacles.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Speaking of trikes. When I went to get my M license the dude in front of me was taking the test on a trike. What the gently caress?

Our licensing standards in the US are just a loving joke. You could literally put TRAINING WHEELS on your motorcycle and get an M license.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

revmoo posted:

I've had this thought, but I am about purchase price into major and minor fix-its and insurance doesn't pay out on that poo poo.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

revmoo posted:

Speaking of trikes. When I went to get my M license the dude in front of me was taking the test on a trike. What the gently caress?

Our licensing standards in the US are just a loving joke. You could literally put TRAINING WHEELS on your motorcycle and get an M license.

Maybe he's getting a T license :keke:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

clutchpuck posted:

I've had this thought, but I am about purchase price into major and minor fix-its and insurance doesn't pay out on that poo poo.

Same w/ my E36 but I hardly drive it anymore. Usually just take the 4Runner which is in the replacement category of "go grab another one and try again"

Really wish I could get a stated value policy on the E36.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

revmoo posted:

No no but see it's the motorcycles themselves that cause deaths en mass, rather than the ignorant and gearless riders.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

The self driving car can't get here fast enough.

The only reason they're being developed is so people can look at their phone and not have to worry about driving. Pretty sure safety is a secondary concern.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Doesn't that make safety (of others) the top concern?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kuffs posted:

Doesn't that make safety (of others) the top concern?

No, it makes their own convenience and entertainment the primary concern. Not killing others is a clear second.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

This too, constantly. I get itchy going past side roads with cars waiting to pull out and doing the hop-forward-stop bullshit idiots always do, then I realise I'm in a huge white box they can't possibly miss.

You'd think that, but my old Civic got totaled when a young woman pulled out from a stop sign at the exit of a parking lot about 50 feet in front of me and another car who were both traveling down a thru street at 35 mph. The other car was far enough back in the other lane to stop in time, but I wasn't so lucky and t-boned the side of the woman's forester.

I've also had an old lady in a Prius merge right into me, forcing me off the road and into the shoulder while driving my current car down the interstate. She never even once looked at her mirrors, turned her head to look, or have any indication that she'd noticed running another car off the road at 70 mph.

Strangely, I've yet to have anyone try to merge into me on my bike yet, though that's probably partially due to me aggressively trying to maintain as much of a car-free zone in adjacent lanes as possible - I always speed up or slow down as necessary to avoid riding next to or in the rear blind spots of cars. Also aggressively look for cross streets and driveways ahead that a car may shoot out of in front of me.

Oblivious drivers just aren't going to notice you no matter what you're riding/driving.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You'd think that, but a few weeks ago someone got t-boned by a fire engine with blues and twos on, pulling out from a side turning in the middle of the day - paraphrasing something posted somewhere in CA (possibly ITT), people have real problems seeing things when they're not even looking.

Related, but the old bill seem to have stopped on cracking down on heavy tinted side windows lately and I'm seeing more and more of them, and they make me genuinely nervous, more so than most other warning signs on cars. First of course, they've got a restricted view. Secondly, I can't see them so I've no idea if they've even looked in my direction (not that even making direct eye contact is a guarantee of course). And lastly and most importantly, there's an absolute 100% correlation between the kind of dickhead who will heavily tint their side windows (bearing in mind that by definition it has to be a DIY thing) and the kind of dickhead who'll have way too much attention on ensuring their headgear is exactly at the right angle off true to bother actually looking to see if they're about to murder someone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuughh got lane changed into not once, not twice, but four times going to work this morning. gently caress you and your meek little wave you poo poo-stains, flopping your wrist around like you've just bumped into me in the hallway doesn't excuse your behaviour.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Uuuughh got lane changed into not once, not twice, but four times going to work this morning. gently caress you and your meek little wave you poo poo-stains, flopping your wrist around like you've just bumped into me in the hallway doesn't excuse your behaviour.

The last time that happened to me (of the many times...) I rode around up next to her at the light and gave her a little wave like 'Hello there!'. She rolled down the window and was SO APOLOGETIC.

"I'm so sorry! I can't believe I did that. I didn't see you at all. I should have been more careful. I'm so glad you are OK. Oh my god I'm so so sorry. I have to do better than that, I could have hurt you! I'll take more care! This wont happen again!"

I had nothing left to respond with but "Thanks... please do be more careful. Motorcycles are everywhere- if you look".

Every other time in my life its been, at best SMIDSY, LOL or worse: Dozens of drivers plodding around having no idea of all the times they've almost killed/hurt someone.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Auckland drivers seem to be extra stupid lately.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I took the Southern heat head on with all mesh gear, moisture-wicking shirt/shorts, and a camel-bak. It's still awful . Up north there were plenty of roads that would disappear out into the woods where it was still somewhat cool, but down here it's all flat and open.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NoDoorway posted:

Auckland drivers seem to be extra stupid lately.

Ask me about nearly getting taken out at a red light, in a car, by four young gentlemen having to share one P-pipe. At least that time I was in a position to call the cops (well, my passenger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And lastly and most importantly, there's an absolute 100% correlation between the kind of dickhead who will heavily tint their side windows (bearing in mind that by definition it has to be a DIY thing) and the kind of dickhead who'll have way too much attention on ensuring their headgear is exactly at the right angle off true to bother actually looking to see if they're about to murder someone.
Illegal or not, I have had several cars tinted way past the legal limit (needed for PI work) by several shops. Shops don't care at all. So it doesn't really have to be DIY.