Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

AtomD posted:

Bob Mortimer mentioned this in a recent RHLSTP and it's the only thing I know about him at all. "Oh, the guy who puts his dick on people's shoulders."

it's good to see the bbc are ensuring future generations can enjoy operation yewtree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's probably not a great idea to believe Bob Mortimer's anecdotes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's what people said on WILTY and then he split an apple with his bare hands.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's what people said on WILTY and then he split an apple with his bare hands.

Yes he did that but there's no loving way his anecdotes are true, they're just mental.
And they always sound very much like a sketch from Big Night Out, what a strange coincidence.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

One thing that always confused me about Top Gear - When you watch it, are you supposed to believe that the majority of the crazy moments in the features aren't scripted? Or is it like wrestling, where you know it's fake but enjoy it anyway?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lemon posted:

One thing that always confused me about Top Gear - When you watch it, are you supposed to believe that the majority of the crazy moments in the features aren't scripted? Or is it like wrestling, where you know it's fake but enjoy it anyway?

Definitely the latter, but WWE is probably the right analogy because I'm sure there is a strata of retards who don't realise how scripted it all is

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Definitely the latter, but WWE is probably the right analogy because I'm sure there is a strata of retards who don't realise how scripted it all is

I think the first couple of times there were a lot of "WTF, did that actually happen?" moments, then it happened with such regularity and over the topness that it was blatantly obvious (to everyone that isn't an idiot).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Really enjoying Humans.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kin posted:

I think the first couple of times there were a lot of "WTF, did that actually happen?" moments, then it happened with such regularity and over the topness that it was blatantly obvious (to everyone that isn't an idiot).

When they woke up in Romania in front of that enormous dam and pretended they hadn't seen it is when my immersion went away

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Taear posted:

When they woke up in Romania in front of that enormous dam and pretended they hadn't seen it is when my immersion went away

Yeah, see stuff like the indestructible Toyota truck was funny and fit perfectly on the "is it real?" line, but poo poo like that dam did the same thing to my immersion.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 21, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pissflaps posted:

Really enjoying Humans.

I watched the second episode with my sister, who gave me a brief précis of what was going on, and thought it was pretty great. Will stick it on the (increasingly large) watch pile.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lemon posted:

My cousin refuses to believe it's not real. Talks about these guys like they go on amazing adventures every other week.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The first time it was real they marketed the poo poo out of it and then nothing happened.

I dunno they sat in a hotel room and like totally told each other how gnarly that was. I cant remember because they made it a two parter and I died at some point.

I mean it was obviously all for show before, but when something really actually happened they weren't up to the job of filming it, they aren't war zone reporters or whatever and even war zone reporters are famously not above exaggerating/recreating/flat out lying.

I have no point, I've just been watching TV for a couple of hours and am understandably miserable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel kinda trashy for liking Pienaar's Politics.

woops wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 23, 2015

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Look's like TFI's coming back for a short run before Christmas

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If Top Gear was as much fun as WWE, I wouldn't have stopped watching about 5 years ago too.

All I'm saying is, if James May had thrown Jeremy Clarkson off a steel cage and through an announcers table, they would've had my viewership forever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Top Gear has better ratings and a bigger cultural splash than WWE at this point, so it's not like the format was a major problem.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Clarkson trying to blend the two formats together was what got them into this mess in the first place.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

IIRC Tesla tried to sue them after their stock/sales apparently dropped following an unflattering scripted test-drive of their Roadster (at the time Top gear was pretty anti-electric) they even found the literal script that had the car overheating/running out of battery etc lol

The judge dismissed it because no 'reasonable viewer' would believe Top gear is factual but I suspect Tesla weren't lying about its effect on them.

Drowning In Terror fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 23, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's funny to look back over the earlier seasons and see how their attitudes regarding things like electric cars, flappy-paddle gear boxes and diesel have changed. And yea, while I'd tend to believe most of their car reviews at least as far as opinion goes, anything that isn't them driving around and talking in relatively normal road-tests is pretty suspect. If there's any kind of drama at all, then it's almost certainly scripted drama. They weren't even trying to pretend otherwise by about season 15 or so.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I'm a bit gutted how bad the new episode of Mad Fat Diary was. The writing was loving awful

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'm a bit gutted how bad the new episode of Mad Fat Diary was. The writing was loving awful

Wasn't great, was it? I'd been so looking forward to it as well.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

thehustler posted:

Wasn't great, was it? I'd been so looking forward to it as well.

Total lack of subtlety. It was really poor considering previous shows.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've gone and watched all the episodes of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and maaan, I wish they'd shown more of the return of English magic. The book has stones rearranging themselves so a hurt little girl can figure out how to cast a spell to heal her bruise, and a scene like that would have really helped reinforce the idea of "English magic returning". Also would've been nice if there'd been a final shot of Stephen as the King of Lost Hope.

Those points aside, it was very well done and I quite liked it. It bounced between period drama and spooky stuff quite nicely, and not many shows can seamlessly put parliamentary debate and faeries together in the same thing, but this show did, and that was cool.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I've been enjoying Humans but they're really obsessed with how sexy androids are and how we all want to have sex with androids.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

reality_groove posted:

I've been enjoying Humans but they're really obsessed with how sexy androids are and how we all want to have sex with androids.

and those things are unrelated?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I dont think theres anyone who wouldnt refuse a cheeky hand job from an android.

Humans is my fave new show at the moment.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Big Taff Man posted:

I dont think theres anyone who wouldnt refuse a cheeky hand job from an android.

:agreed:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Particularly if the android looks like Gemma Chan

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Paperhouse posted:

Particularly if the android looks like Gemma Chan

Ive just found out she supports Arsenal and Ive gone off her tbh.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This probably isn't news to anyone in the thread but it seems that ITV are making Technically Not Top Gear (with CHM) to go up against BBC's Not Top Gear (with Evans + 2).

As in, the same timeslot.

PS: yes we all know it's mostly scripted, yes we still think it's funny

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So presumably at some point in the future, we'll have the Netflix one with Clarkson et al up while those other two are airing.

The general public knows not why they car, only that they should.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive just found out she supports Arsenal and Ive gone off her tbh.
But how do you feel about her voice?!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I've gone and watched all the episodes of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and maaan, I wish they'd shown more of the return of English magic. The book has stones rearranging themselves so a hurt little girl can figure out how to cast a spell to heal her bruise, and a scene like that would have really helped reinforce the idea of "English magic returning". Also would've been nice if there'd been a final shot of Stephen as the King of Lost Hope.

Those points aside, it was very well done and I quite liked it. It bounced between period drama and spooky stuff quite nicely, and not many shows can seamlessly put parliamentary debate and faeries together in the same thing, but this show did, and that was cool.

It was really really good, grand special effects and a really excellent script. The cast made it, Bertie Carvel and Eddie Marsan played off each other so well , that bit at the end where Norrell reluctantly frees himself from the twin shackles of his fear and his books and skips through Lost-Hope with Jonathan in tow was great.

Best character was Childermass though. Most Yorkshire man in the world, and the only one with a particle of commonsense. His weary eyerolls as all the other characters backstabbed, lied and went mental at each other were glorious.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Man am I glad I took the jump and started watching Humans. There's some excellent worldbuilding going on that's really my jam plus it's just creepy enough at times to keep me on edge.

I have found myself almost shouting at the screen at two of the plotlines though, both for the same reason. Just talk to your partner for the love of god! Looking at you, Joe and Pete. I mean Pete I can understand, but gently caress you Joe you piece of gently caress.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Akuma posted:

But how do you feel about her voice?!

Oooo its lovely.

Lugaloco posted:

Man am I glad I took the jump and started watching Humans. There's some excellent worldbuilding going on that's really my jam plus it's just creepy enough at times to keep me on edge.

I have found myself almost shouting at the screen at two of the plotlines though, both for the same reason. Just talk to your partner for the love of god! Looking at you, Joe and Pete. I mean Pete I can understand, but gently caress you Joe you piece of gently caress.

My favourite plotline is the poor old man who keeps his broken synth as it reminds him of his dead wife :(

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Enjoyed Strange and Norrell, but agree on the lack of English Magic above, would have really helped sell the fundamental change that is happenings.

Humans is great, the androids in general, but especially the main girl have the slightly uncanny movements down perfectly.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Humans is awesome. But I feel sorry for that woman from the IT crowd who has gone from playing a sassy single girl to a frumpy overworked mother in just a couple of years. Is she even old enough to have a teenager?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The actress is 37, with what appears to be a 16-17 year old daughter (plus the boys), so yeah, poor, poor Jen. No wonder she's so sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive just found out she supports Arsenal

Taff, why would you ruin this for me?