Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I did as you said, so with that, the last 24 hours have been pretty food AO-wise. I finally shed the predator armor, and got on some nice 300 OFAB armor instead. I got the Rhat'ata Gun on, I tanked LotV with a group, I did DB2, and I did my first Tarasque raid in 10 years (We won easily). Was fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Kowin here, just was checking in to see if some of you are still playing? Sorry I kinda disappeared, haven't been feeling that great, and when I have been it's just been some GTA 5. Still subbed though and always think about the game daily, just can't seem to get into playing much of anything lately. I logged in after the big patch hit and liked some of the changes I saw though.

How are you guys liking it now?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
school is busting my balls

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
how many people still play this game?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
It's pretty lonely on Goonbot these days, but there are still raids through raidbots and in some orgs etc. Omni dominate Tarasque, clans have most tower sites. I can usually find inferno missions without waiting too much, but it was harder when I was lower level for sure. It's hard getting teams for the big end game questlines, and it's also hard to get teams for end game instances unless it's through an org (I'm guessing it'll be easier once I get to 220). The nice thing about daily missions is that you always get some progress at least.

It's worth checking out again if you haven't played for a while. The new starter area is kind of neat, and lots of balance changes have been done.

Maxxx
Apr 12, 2006
WHAT

Fewd posted:

12 man is "The Xan" instance but DB* are in PW. If you google "ao universe db*" you'll get the informations. If you've done / are doing the DB quest line, at the end of the fourth quest you get a clicky that teleports you to the DB instances.

Drop rate on WU is pretty bad so unless you feel lucky, it'll probably be easier if you just farm money and buy them.

WU drops every time you do 12m now, I've seen 3 WU drop at once. But average is 2 each time he dies. The reason why the prices for WU dropped so much.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Is it a bit chilly down under?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is the game worth playing yet though? that's the real question.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Ohhh boy.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
~fartz~

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So maybe in another 3 years the engine will actually release to the main servers.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just a reminder that the new engine was announced in 2007 and was originally scheduled to hit the test server mid-2008.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
:stare: I never thought I'd see the day

I mean, the new engine looks like total poo poo. It's based on DX9 for fucks sake.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

:stare: I never thought I'd see the day

I mean, the new engine looks like total poo poo. It's based on DX9 for fucks sake.

That and the models look like they are just dropped in from the original game without any changes.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

They are the same models. I never expected the models to be updated though, was that also promised?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Opinionated posted:

They are the same models. I never expected the models to be updated though, was that also promised?

Yep. Back when Means was still game director he posted about updated models being worked on in numerous posts with some renders of new heads. I imagine the work was scrapped as nobody has spoken of them since he left, and I doubt Funcom can/wants to invest that kind of money in AO at this point.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I wonder how many people are currently working on this update and how many of them were on it in 2007.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
25/1

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

ModeSix posted:

... the engine will actually release to the main servers.

My sides, you got me good there.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

CrushedWill posted:

My sides, you got me good there.

I had to throw in some comedy in this otherwise dismal thread. SA is a comedy website after all.

Maxxx
Apr 12, 2006
WHAT
Coming to Live servers now.

Patch Date: June 25, 2015

New Engine Update:

Added option to download a "New Engine" version of the game and play on the Live server; the installer is ~5GB in size, with a installation size of ~23GB. Download link will be made available during downtime.
Resolved an issue that cause lighting effects in dungeons to persist longer than they should

Profession Changes:

Agent "Ruse" nanos will reduce the size of the agent.
Trader's "Subprime Vitality Mortgage" now has a reduced 90 second cooldown.
Trader's "Subprime Vitality Mortgage" now requires Bio Metamor & Time&Space.

General Changes:

Made preparations for 2015 Anniversary.
Adjusted AI Bot drops on ground and ship .
Entrance point into the Grid has been moved.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

This guy has posted some new testlive youtube videos of the new engine: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTz3FlqDCYsDOjzLD224lA

It looks like 2004 instead of 2001-2003 now.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

ModeSix posted:

I had to throw in some comedy in this otherwise dismal thread. SA is a comedy website after all.

Looks like the laugh is on me. An actual open beta for the new engine.

I checked, no pigs flying out of my rear end (or flying).

Did this go live or is it about to?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
It's working it works and I'm glad of it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Flavor Truck posted:

It's working it works and I'm glad of it.

I left the downloader going and it didn't work :smith:

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I had a very bad time downloading the installer to my regular hard drive. Instead, I downloaded it to my SSD and it worked fine. yrmv

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
They should give everyone who was a sub when this was announced a free week of gametime for every year this has been delayed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Post some pictures, the game is too dead for me to play it or progress in it because I don't half the bankroll to implant up.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Post some pictures, the game is too dead for me to play it or progress in it because I don't half the bankroll to implant up.

It looks like it always did but with some new shaders. 23GB install for what? Some of the textures are a bit improved, but the models and everything else look exactly the same except in a DX9 engine.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, it's not really different at all

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, it's not really different at all

Everything's all squished looking. That's different.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 28, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUt1BMw1Qtg

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

whoa

I can see where the years went

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcom_initiates_review_of_strategic_options

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
RIP

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Goodbye game you were very fun, I'm glad I quit before any nightmare farming. If they make the game into singleplayer rpg I would play it again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tenzarin posted:

Goodbye game you were very fun, I'm glad I quit before any nightmare farming. If they make the game into singleplayer rpg I would play it again.

If they did this AND made levelling 20x faster, yeah.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

I have no idea what to do for credits the game is so dead blitzing doesn't really work. Put something on the market and it takes weeks to sell if it ever does.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
You can blitz for shop food but yeah it's pretty much a poo poo show. Sl statics have a decent pearl drop rate, that's also good money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

It looks like i'm the president of Goonfleet so if anyone wants to join just let me know.

• Locked thread