Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Says the guy who whines about everyone being bitches like a dimmer Holden Caulfield. :laugh:

No, I actually care about results, buddy,

Yeah the results are millions of lives ruined and an imperial state which is dicking around and failing. Great job on that, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
man, 8 more months of this huh

edit: This thread is going to look like the Siege of Leningrad by the time Super Tuesday rolls around

Chelb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 21, 2015

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

As stupid as voting third party is, the greens did not cost Gore the election any more than Gore himself did.

Does that matter? It was a close election and there were any number of sufficient causes that tipped the results but all other things being equal Nader gave Florida to Bush by his decision to campaign in swing states rather then in states where the Greens could build a real base.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

My counter-argument would be that if you have no norms of war, however vague and basic, you're essentially leaving the barn door open to whoever can be the most atrocious, ancient-world-ish in their titanic murder sprees. "Sure, we cut off the right hand of every native Ukrainian who didn't have a Russian passport and heaped them in the city square to rot, but who are you to judge? What about Obama's drones?"

Norms of war are different than having a legal war. The norms of war are things that are generally agreed that nobody will do, and are only followed to the degree that those ignoring those norms think they can get away with. You can have a fully legally started war by international agreements and laws, that is then carried out in violation of treaties, agreements, and understandings of actions taken in that war. The legality of a war is entirely dependent on whether it conflicts with the agendas of China, France, Germany, Russia, the UK, or the US. Get the proper stamps and we all agree that your war is legal, forget even one and then it's a travesty.

However norms are often broken with little consequence. They're just a benchmark by which we can gauge if War A is more horrendous than War B. See, in War A they killed the people and destroyed the land in perfectly agreeable ways, unlike those butchers in War B.

Really though I just tire of Iraq having the label illegal thrown at it all the time. Like the legality of the action is a leading reason it's bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

Yeah the results are millions of lives ruined and an imperial state which is dicking around and failing. Great job on that, idiot.

I sure did vote for Iraq when I was 14. Definitely, that was a thing that happened.

DynamicSloth posted:

Does that matter? It was a close election and there were any number of sufficient causes that tipped the results but all other things being equal Nader gave Florida to Bush by his decision to campaign in swing states rather then in states where the Greens could build a real base.

To be fair if Buchanan hadn't been in the race Bush would have had more than enough of a lead in Florida to not require recounts. So people would probably still whine about Nader, but there wouldn't be that whole months long circus attached.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The Iraq War was bad because hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives, millions were displaced, and we are still dealing with the consequences of it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

I sure did vote for Iraq when I was 14. Definitely, that was a thing that happened.

Idiot.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I guess it was just an accident that Sanders actually read the intelligence briefings from the alphabet agencies saying that invasion would destabilize the region and work in direct opposition to our objectives in the war on terror.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

To be fair if Buchanan hadn't been in the race Bush would have had more than enough of a lead in Florida to not require recounts. So people would probably still whine about Nader, but there wouldn't be that whole months long circus attached.

If Buchanan hadn't been in the race Gore probably would have won, where his name was on Florida's stupid loving ballots apparently confused a whole lot of old people in a northeast transplant town.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TEAYCHES posted:

The Afghanistan war should have been limited to a police action to capture Bin Laden, instead of invading and occupying an entire nation. That was a dumb step and a lot of money was wasted.

I think Bernie Sanders is right about ISIL that we should support the Kurds and even the Saudis, who are fuckers, to fix the problem themselves. Also we should ally with Iran because they are a way better moderating influence than anyone in the region. Mousavi is a dick but he's a rational dick and we should help Iran, drop the sanctions, and deal with them like the large power player that they are.

The breakdown of Yugoslavia is really hard, a lot of people died, and maybe Europe could have dealt with it without American intervention. However, I think that the war crimes by the Serbs were at such a inhumane level that it was necessary to intervene.
...I find I cannot disagree with you on any point of this.

And with the exception of maybe Iran, this is about what I expect the tenor of Hillary Clinton's foreign policy to be.

:toot: Yay consensus!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Please stop talking about yourself.

TEAYCHES posted:

The Iraq War was bad because hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives, millions were displaced, and we are still dealing with the consequences of it.

That's nice, and your point is?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If Buchanan hadn't been in the race Gore probably would have won, where his name was on Florida's stupid loving ballots apparently confused a whole lot of old people in a northeast transplant town.

Nah, that ballot was confusing as poo poo no matter what, and there were 6 more candidates on the ballots officially besides Bush Gore and Nader. So it would be the Natural Law party dude being accidentally voted for or whatever

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rollofthedice posted:

man, 8 more months of this huh

the emotes
the Emotes

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Please stop talking about yourself.

That's nice, and your point is?

I think it's bad to murder hundreds of thousands of people, and displace millions, for cynical imperial gain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DynamicSloth posted:

I think the Greens' behavior makes perfect sense if you interpret it as a desire to express political anger rather than attempt to further an agenda in the American political system.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Clinton is a politician that has flaws. However, she is also saying many of the things that the American left will address policy-wise over the next decade: Immigration reform, universal pre-K, income inequality, etc. I've read posters comment that Clinton is only saying these things because it has been poll-tested: Well, no poo poo. But Clinton doesn't HAVE to put herself out there as an advocate for progressive causes. Honestly, there isn't that much daylight between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders in the tone of their message, and I think that the Sanders campaign will ultimately serve as a form of political hardening for the Clinton machine and make it better. I find the argument about Clinton's authenticity to be silly. It's rooted in this weird form of absolutist thinking that is counter-productive and chooses to ignore the reality of the American political system. Most of the good, progressive causes in the United States were fought and won in very slow, plodding, and incrementalist ways - they were also assisted by politicians that were deeply flawed in many respects.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

I think it's bad to murder hundreds of thousands of people, and displace millions, for cynical imperial gain.

Did we add Iraq to our overseas holdings when I wasn't paying attention?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

And that's relevant to the 2016 election because:

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

TEAYCHES posted:

What is Hillary's Sith title? Darth Rodham?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Also, I am genuinely curious if this forum/thread has a moderator that is willing to step in and regulate this stupid bullshit thread. This thread is usually good until certain posters (I wonder who?) start rapid-firing single-sentence responses to each other through the entire weekend.

If you all put some effort into your loving posts maybe they will be taken more seriously.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because the Iraq War happened in 2003 and we are currently sending Troops back there. It's relevant because we are still involved and have you heard of ISIS? Are you really this loving stupid?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

DutchDupe posted:

What is Hillary's Sith title? Darth Rodham?

Darth Collateral Damage

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, that ballot was confusing as poo poo no matter what, and there were 6 more candidates on the ballots officially besides Bush Gore and Nader. So it would be the Natural Law party dude being accidentally voted for or whatever

Those ballots are legit retarded, who the gently caress came up with them. We've used bubble in ones in California for a while now.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Jeb Bush is running for President in 2016, and with all his brother's Foreign Policy advisers.

Seriously though how does Jeb have the loving balls to stand there and just pretend that there was nothing wrong with his brother invading Iraq?

E: For actual discussion, an interesting tidbit on The Donald:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-trump-candidacy-gop-strategists-see-a-wild-card-1434669847

quote:

Mr. Trump hasn’t yet filed paperwork with federal officials to start his campaign. A campaign spokeswoman said the paperwork would be filed within the 15-day window allowed.
The Donald is apparently a procrastinator, and while I realize he probably isn't completely serious about running for president, you'd think he be a little bit more professional about it than this.

E:\/ Yeah, there's the honest and depressing answer.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

fade5 posted:

Jeb Bush is running for President in 2016, and with all his brother's Foreign Policy advisers.

Seriously though how does Jeb have the loving balls to stand there and just pretend that there was nothing wrong with his brother invading Iraq?

Because neocons have a lot of money backing and influence.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Those ballots are legit retarded, who the gently caress came up with them. We've used bubble in ones in California for a while now.

Well, Floridians did. Remember that the ballot designs weren't even standardized across the state, so a ton of the Buchanan support was "legit".

TEAYCHES posted:

Because the Iraq War happened in 2003 and we are currently sending Troops back there. It's relevant because we are still involved and have you heard of ISIS? Are you really this loving stupid?

The only person even close to saying that Iraq was 100% a-ok is Jeb and he's currently not doing too much better than Donald Trump.

So again: this is relevant because of _________? Fill in the blank.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nintendo Kid posted:

The dumb fallout from the Civil War having never actually been dealt with is relevant to the 2016 election, why would you think the fallout from a war only just finished wouldn't be?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Florida had actually used those for a while, though as I remember 2000 had an unusually high number of Presidential options. By the next election Florida had transitioned to optical scan ballots because, Jesus, even Florida could see that was a real gently caress up. Though if 2000 hadn't been so close that the Supreme Court jumped in, Florida would likely have been much slower to change.

Honestly, they weren't actually confusing at all. Especially for anyone who'd voted on the style before.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

So again: this is relevant because of _________? Fill in the blank.

Because the votes and actions of presidential candidates will give you an idea of their future actions. Christ you are a loving dumbass. Are you seriously saying we should ignore the history of a candidate because everything is some blank loving slate?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Is everything a vacuum to you, fishmech? What the hell are you trying to argue?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

Because the votes and actions of presidential candidates will give you an idea of their future actions.

Yes, which is why Hillary Clinton is not going to be right wing. Glad you finally agree. :)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, which is why Hillary Clinton is not going to be right wing. Glad you finally agree. :)

Yeah its extremely loving left wing to vote for the invasion of a nation and kill hundreds of thousands of people in the process, then call it a lapse of judgement. Idiot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

Yeah its extremely loving left wing to vote for the invasion of a nation and kill hundreds of thousands of people in the process, then call it a lapse of judgement. Idiot.

Keep robotically obsessing over one thing, this will surely get you ahead in the world.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What steps will Hillary take in 2016 to make sure she doesn't accidentally authorize a disastrous war like she has in the past?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Miltank posted:

What steps will Hillary take in 2016 to make sure she doesn't accidentally authorize a disastrous war like she has in the past?
First, she'll stop beating Bill.

Second, probably not hire the Bush foreign policy team.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Keep robotically obsessing over one thing, this will surely get you ahead in the world.

Yeah I can't believe someone would care about the murder of hundreds of thousands of human beings, that's really obsessive that all those people died and millions were displaced. I prefer to be disattached and a total shitlord who doesnt give a gently caress about the reality that our elected representatives murdered hundreds of thousands of people and now millions die.

You are a gently caress, you are a piece of poo poo. You are a nonce. gently caress you.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I hope this is indicative of the level of debate we're going to see in the primaries. I want to see Trump and Rick Perry have a THS/fishmech-style slapfight on FOX News.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

same

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nessus posted:

First, she'll stop beating Bill.

Second, probably not hire the Bush foreign policy team.

Don't forget be the head of the executive branch and the supreme commander of the armed forces. Kinda hard to be dragged into wars you don't want to be when you can pretty much unilaterally tell the nation's soldiers that, no, they don't get to visit strange places, meet exotic people and be killed by them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miltank posted:

probably not have neocon advisers for one

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Miltank posted:

Update her glasses prescription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Don't forget be the head of the executive branch and the supreme commander of the armed forces. Kinda hard to be dragged into wars you don't want to be when you can pretty much unilaterally tell the nation's soldiers that, no, they don't get to visit strange places, meet exotic people and be killed by them.
I mean I have no illusions of world peace and unilateral disarmament underneath Khaleesi, but for one thing I doubt she'll invade Iran unless Iran actually starts the war - while I think every Republican candidate would invade Iran quite promptly, with the possible exception of Rand Paul.

• Locked thread