Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess Black Mask won't be doing anything important.

In gadget news, apparently Batman left the REC and Shock Gloves with the cops. They're on display in the evidence room, with Aaron Cash saying he feels secure having some of Batman's gadgets there.

Naturally, Batman breaks the display and takes the former back. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Preload's up for PS4, don't think it's up for Steam yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

You know what I think the plot in this game s gonna be retarded and cliched and comic books and video games are a medium for stupid babies but goddamn do I love when they do poo poo like what happened to those guns.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:siren: Early Game Spoilers :siren:

Specifically the first Joker hallucination.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calaveron posted:

You know what I think the plot in this game s gonna be retarded and cliched and comic books and video games are a medium for stupid babies but goddamn do I love when they do poo poo like what happened to those guns.

agreed. all the arkham plots were dumb, but they were never bad dumb in my opinion. this seems keeping in that trend.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Goddammit. I was gonna wait, but this poo poo is so loving purchased. :sigh:

Edit:

haha on anyone who thought the Arkham Knight wasn't exactly who he ended up being, the very second he was announced.

Edit 2: Someone said this was vintage Keaton Batman. Yeah. Keaton killed the poo poo out of a bunch of dudes in those movies as well. This dude is dead as gently caress right now.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 21, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope Mr. Freeze shows up.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed. all the arkham plots were dumb, but they were never bad dumb in my opinion. this seems keeping in that trend.

They're the Batman the Animated Series-style dumb, where literally everything else falls into place so perfectly that the dumb doubles back into cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Yea watching that, gently caress it, I'm into this dumb plot.

Taking his mask of to make a second mask to be The Red Hood is basically the only way this could have gone, which is to say dumb as all hell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I hope Mr. Freeze shows up.

They're the Batman the Animated Series-style dumb, where literally everything else falls into place so perfectly that the dumb doubles back into cool.

yeah. pretty much. its the animated series if it were slightly darker and in a more modern setting.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the only difference is that the animated series didn't have to be 8+ hours long, so naturally the games are going to have a lot of goofy poo poo in them.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

Goddammit. I was gonna wait, but this poo poo is so loving purchased. :sigh:

Edit:

haha on anyone who thought the Arkham Knight wasn't exactly who he ended up being, the very second he was announced.

Edit 2: Someone said this was vintage Keaton Batman. Yeah. Keaton killed the poo poo out of a bunch of dudes in those movies as well. This dude is dead as gently caress right now.

Didnt they say it was going to be a totally original character though? Kinda funny how that turned out

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Just finished the main storyline. The way they handled Joker stuff was really sweet. Arkham Knight stuff was pretty poorly written (cribbed), but it was just a supporting thread anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

Just finished the main storyline. The way they handled Joker stuff was really sweet. Arkham Knight stuff was pretty poorly written (cribbed), but it was just a supporting thread anyway.

how was the rest of the story/side missions?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ville Valo posted:

The character the game is named after was just a supporting thread?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

RatHat posted:

M. Night Shamalayamaned!

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

RatHat posted:

That's basically how Hugo Strange was. He set up the whole plot, but was still a side character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be honest, the whole draw of the Arkham Knight was who was under the mask, a plot that was raised and resolved in this game. I don't think he was ever going to be really major aside from that reveal.

I don't remember if someone on this site said it, but I kind of wish the Arkham Knight's identity was unimportant. Much like Joker always says he doesn't care about who is under Batman's mask because that's not "the real him", the Arkham Knight could've been the same way.

Sure, it wouldn't have been wholly satisfying, but I don't really think they could have satisfied with his identity to begin with. Either it really is a comic book character or it's some original character from the series. And there's no original character in this series who has been presented as able to fight Batman seeing as all of them are regular cops who get clowned by the villains or asylum doctors.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 22, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BoredDG posted:

That's basically how Hugo Strange was. He set up the whole plot, but was still a side character.

What do you even consider a main character if someone who sets up the whole plot isn't?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does Scarecrow remain consistently threatening? His new model and actor are fantastic.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm avoiding spoilers for this game(even though we all know who Arkham Knight was from day one). But I am hoping there is something as cool as the Joker/Clayface thing in Arkham City. As blah as AC's story was, it was cool as hell when you replay it the second time and notice that The Joker has no bones during his boss fight when you switch to detective mode. I can handle a comic book story if it has something as well thought out as that.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Ville Valo posted:

Just finished the main storyline. The way they handled Joker stuff was really sweet.

'Sweet' sentimental, or 'sweet' awesome?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

RatHat posted:

they had to work arkham into the title somehow ok

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

cram me sideways posted:

I got spoiled on something that's really loving weird, but at this point I don't know. Maybe :siren:huge spoilers:siren:? Maybe not?

There's apparently a big song and dance routine involving the Joker.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RatHat posted:

What do you even consider a main character if someone who sets up the whole plot isn't?

Strange could be removed from the plot entirely and it wouldn't change the story that much at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
They should just launch the big J's corpse into space.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I got spoiled on something that's really loving weird, but at this point I don't know. Maybe :siren:huge spoilers:siren:? Maybe not?

There's apparently a big song and dance routine involving the Joker.

I don't know about that.

I did hear there's a segment of the game where you run over Killer Croc with the Jokermobile, though.

ayn rand hand job posted:

They should just launch the big J's corpse into space.

You just spoiled the plot for Batman: Arkham Asteroid.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So Rocksteady is moving on from Batman after this, right?

Should we brace ourselves for yearly sequels from WB Montreal and whatever developer they grab for the even years?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know about that.

I did hear there's a segment of the game where you run over Killer Croc with the Jokermobile, though.

It will take up the idea of Friday the 13th movies, Joker X.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rorus Raz posted:

So Rocksteady is moving on from Batman after this, right?

Should we brace ourselves for yearly sequels from WB Montreal and whatever developer they grab for the even years?

I'll be surprised if a Deathstroke game isn't announced before year's end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They should totally make a Batgirl game based on the current run.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Scarface as the antagonist with Wexler? as the ventriloquist.

Penguin is boring. Bring in the mystical dummy.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I think if anyone could pull off a decent Superman game, it would be Rocksteady. They could come up with a new combat system based on Superman's powers that other devs will ape for years.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how was the rest of the story/side missions?

They were okay. Penguin/Two-Face/Man-Bat were pretty short. I like how hard Firefly tries. :3:

RatHat posted:

Yes. Batman/Joker is the real story.

cram me sideways posted:

Sweet awesome. The ending of the Joker plot... ho boy. It becomes a first-person fear-based shooter where you play as Joker trapped inside Batman's psyche.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know about that.

There's a Joker song/dance number, and a Jokermobile with a weapon named "The Killing Joke."

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 22, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Scarface as the antagonist with Wexler? as the ventriloquist.

According to the Evidence Room, the last Ventriloquist was Peyton Riley, so I'm assuming Wesker is dead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

They were okay. Penguin/Two-Face/Man-Bat were pretty short. I like how hard Firefly tries. :3:

Yes. Batman/Joker is the real story.

Sweet awesome. The ending of the Joker plot... ho boy. It becomes a first-person fear-based shooter where you play as Joker trapped inside Batman's psyche.

There's a Joker song/dance number, and a Jokermobile with a weapon named "The Killing Joke."

both of those sound pretty awsome

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Is it kinda sad that I'm OK with the Batmobile? Those racetracks look kinda fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What I've heard and played of the Batmobile makes it seem less like it is actively bad and more like it is not as good as the rest of the game and is probably fine on its own merits.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how artificial feeling are the riddler challenges this time around?

the whole idea of them is immersion breaking enough in asylum when they're in out of the way vents but the giant rooftop high tech chain link puzzle cages devoted to them in city really turned me off.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Real hurthling! posted:

how artificial feeling are the riddler challenges this time around?

the whole idea of them is immersion breaking enough in asylum when they're in out of the way vents but the giant rooftop high tech chain link puzzle cages devoted to them in city really turned me off.

They're as game-y as game-y gets. "Batman has a Batmobile so I'm going to make race tracks for him and call them puzzles."

---
I'm having trouble finding Azrael's burning bat-symbols; anyone who's also played/playing have some advice? :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's a preload button on Steam.

• Locked thread