Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that looks fake. The shaky cam from the drone makes it look like a scene from BSG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I want a shot of the instrument clusters. Just ballparking but it looks like an TAS of 150kt+

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Adolf Hitler and His Airship: An Alternate History

Because I have to share this with somebody :beck:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

what

I think just reading the description of this book has dropped my IQ by 30 points.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

quote:

Adolf Hitler and His Airship: An Alternate History
by Michael Christopher

Adolf Hitler, alive in an alternate history, in alternate time. It’s the 1930’s.

In this alternative history, Canada and Britain are locked in a cold war against America. Canada is controlled by its evil Prime Minister, Tommy ‘The Needle’ Douglas, whose platform of state-provided medical insurance, as well as his radical agenda of eugenics - to rid society of subnormal or incurable people - has placed him in almost dictatorial power.

He knows the USA is his main stumbling block for a ‘Final World Cleanse’. Supporting him are ‘big pharma’, the International Medical Association and the GMO consortium. The good people of America have resisted Douglas’s message of intolerance and forced insurance, but that has not stopped Douglas and his agent provocateurs from forming a fifth column.

Among the many brave men and women who are actively working for the interests of America, is one young man, and his father. They are inventors, explorers, a family of integrity, full of courage, pluck, daring and the fighting spirit that is the embodiment of the ideal American.

They are Adolf Hitler and his father Alois of Shopton, New York.

Adolf Hitler was just trying to build his airship and peruse his infatuation with a young school girl, Evie Brown. However, his previous inventions and exploits have brought him to the attention of the Canadian Dictator Douglas, and his secret-agent grandson, Jack Beck.

Lining up against him are Winnie Churchill, Joey Steele, Frankie Roosevelt, and even Al Gore.

Adolf has finished his latest invention - the Red Komet - a fast and innovative airship, part plane and part zeppelin. No sooner is Adolf in the air than he is framed for the robbery. Suddenly, he's a wanted fugitive but doesn't know why until he's half-way across the country. With no safe harbor or friend on the land below he faces death by Canadian funded gangs of Free Masons, underground communists and other state sponsored terrorists. Hitler must race back to Shopton to clear his name before he's shot out of the sky.

Adolf Hitler can only rely on his pluck, courage, brains and daring, plus a little help from his friends. Meet Al Speer, Jesse Owens, Dr. Norman Bethune, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Arthur Nebe. In the battle Adolf fights to restore his image and put a dent into the world-wide Canadian conspiracy to bring about a New World Order.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
After reading this, I'm imagining myself recalling plumbing the amazing depths of human stupidity like the final scene in Blade Runner. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

That and a window AC unit running in the middle of the floor of a room. True story.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Holy loving poo poo. :stare:

Edit: It's a series. That's the third book, there are at least four.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 21, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

vessbot posted:

After reading this, I'm imagining myself recalling plumbing the amazing depths of human stupidity like the final scene in Blade Runner. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

It has to be on purpose. That last line gives it away. If you're pitching, "Hitler, Jesse Owens, and Sheriff Joe team up to protect the American Dream," you're either Mel Brooks, or Trying Way Too Hard to be Mel Brooks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

Edit: It's a series. That's the third book, there are at least four.

In fairness it sounds way more readable than any given Harry Turtledove book. Although that's mostly because it's wall-to-wall carpeted, maximum overdrive, cash-and-carry batshit insanity.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It has to be on purpose. That last line gives it away. If you're pitching, "Hitler, Jesse Owens, and Sheriff Joe team up to protect the American Dream," you're either Mel Brooks, or Trying Way Too Hard to be Mel Brooks.

We live in a world where one of the longest published works of fiction is a My Little Pony/Fallout fanfic series that runs to over a million words. I'm not as confident about this being a joke as you are.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 21, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hitler and Sheriff Joe as besties? I'm not even sure this is fiction.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No one's posted this yet, so I guess I've got linking honors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCFWKBoV7E

Preview:

They also have a 360° view; where, it's possible to pan the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125gutRd8rk

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Aeronautical Insanity: I'm Never Flying United Again.

Currently on hour 5 of a delay after a 3 hour, 5am layover after a 6 hour flight - this, of course, after the second flight in a row in to SFO where the jetway "broke" when trying to get of the plane.

Edit: hah a 3RD delay adding 2½ more hours awesome

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 21, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

Hitler and Sheriff Joe as besties? I'm not even sure this is fiction.

I can't tell if he's making fun of the left for their policies or the right for their beliefs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

Currently on hour 5 of a delay after a 3 hour, 5am layover after a 6 hour flight - this, of course, after the second flight in a row in to SFO where the jetway "broke" when trying to get of the plane.

Well, not that it matters at this point, but a broken jet bridge is the airport authority's problem, not United's, although they should have had airstairs set up by now and walked you outside to board the plane.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Linedance posted:

Well, not that it matters at this point, but a broken jet bridge is the airport authority's problem, not United's, although they should have had airstairs set up by now and walked you outside to board the plane.

This.

And airport authorities are generally totally useless bureaucracies, so have fun!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

This.

And airport authorities are generally totally useless bureaucracies, so have fun!

You'd think United could get something fixed at one of their hubs. Though I suppose its not quite like ORD/IAH for them.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

You'd think United could get something fixed at one of their hubs. Though I suppose its not quite like ORD/IAH for them.

SFO has more heritage with United than ORD though, since United operated out of SFO and considered it a 'home' base long before ORD (or United) even existed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ORD and IAH without United are minor airports. SFO without United is still a major airport.

I mean, not that United can/will get up and leave any of those airports like Delta did with Memphis/CVG.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Linedance posted:

Yeah I actually kind of figured but after the bullshit we've put up with for the last 10 hours with United I'm pretty much going to blame them for anything and everything. Including the 30-gate change they just made and didn't tell anyone about. Good thing we still have 2+ hours to to walk down there before boarding the plane they announce the flight is delayed another 2-3 hours. :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I used to really like flying United, but it seems like they've gone to poo poo ever since the merger with Continental.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I used to really like flying United, but it seems like they've gone to poo poo ever since the merger with Continental.

They were poo poo in the 90s, horrible airline, I only ever flew them because it was corporate policy :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Hah delayed another hour and a ½.

That's delay #4

gently caress United.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I was on a transcontinental flight on United because they had a really early flight ORD-SFO and they don't even give you a free packet of peanuts or anything anymore I was pretty shocked since I usually fly Delta where they'll at least throw you some cookies for free.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
the customer service desk guy literally just dropped the "I...I....I... But... But it's my first week so..." brush off on me. :emo:

Commercial Aviation Insanity

At least I got to watch a C-17 takeoff from here. :shrug: must have been empty cause she was up and out in a hurry.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Duke Chin posted:

Hah delayed another hour and a ½.

That's delay #4

gently caress United.

What in the world are the delay's for? Mechanical, or weather somewhere?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Word on the street was mech. :shrug:

Just waiting to see if someone put a carrying truck into a 739 down in LA :rimshot:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Word on the street was mech. :shrug:

Just waiting to see if someone put a carrying truck into a 739 down in LA :rimshot:

Problem with SFO and UA is that they often figure 'lets repair it here...' rather than deplaning everyone and either using a different aircraft or rescheduling the flight, like they'd do anywhere that doesn't have a United maintenance depot 3 taxiways over.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

ORD and IAH without United are minor airports. SFO without United is still a major airport.
There's tons of non-UA/*A traffic at ORD! AA has a major hub there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ha ha. I was going to post about how AA taught me that I was right to only ever book with Westjet* but it sounds like United is even worse!

*It took 3 people before someone could tell me that they couldn't check my bag because my layover was too short. All they could do was check to Edmonton. I said fine since I needed to go through customs anyways, and the Westjet check in agent fixed the problem and had me on my flight in plenty of time.

I also flew on a Q400 for the first time. That was a great experience.

LAX is a beast of an airport right now. Our gate was a shack out on an apron we needed to be bussed to. I can confirm I was quite frightened when all I saw pulling up were CRJs. Don't need that experience again. (We flew a E170. For 2.5hrs)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Duke Chin posted:

On my United flight from Houston to Buenos Aires last week, 1/3rd of the screens in economy weren't working. No power, no audio, not even the ability to turn on your overhead light or call a flight attendant, because it all went through the fancy (dead) touchscreen.

It was a 10 hour flight. I crushed the entirety of The Martian in the first 3 because I was lucky to have it on the Kindle app on my backlit iPad, otherwise it was nothing but attempting to sleep.

Also we took off 1.5 hours late because of "mechanical issues" :haw:

e: Ooh this reminds me, they gave us a complaint card to fill out online! I need to do that now, I wonder what I'll get out of it..
e2: 5000 miles, okay I guess.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 22, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Duke Chin, I'm pretty sure you could have taken a bus to wherever it was you were going by now and arrived. Probably even with better service.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I recently changed jobs and United is specifically not one of our "preferred" airlines. That honor is reserved for Delta and American. I fly about 100k miles a year and have 1k status with UA.

I mostly fly out of RIC and CLE to LHR, Central Europe, Oslo, and Melbourne.

I'm considering doing a status match and switching to either Delta or AA. I'm the type that pays for the most expensive credit card they offer in order to get as many perks as possible including club access. Any suggestions on which I should consider?

Edit: about 75% of the travel is usually booked on the cheapest economy fare available, so 1/2 qualifying points or whatever on AA.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 22, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ Delta is probably less of a clusterfuck than American atm

Jonny Nox posted:

Don't need that experience again. (We flew a E170. For 2.5hrs)

I assume you mean an E135? E170s and their 18" wide seats are the best airliners of any size to have an economy seat on.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

^^ Delta is probably less of a clusterfuck than American atm

I assume you mean an E135? E170s and their 18" wide seats are the best airliners of any size to have an economy seat on.

No the E170 was great. Thought I was gonna have to fly out in a CRJ, which is what I don't ever need to do again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I regularly fly RIC-IAH on an EMB-145. 3.5 hours in this:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I have a few more other pictures from today, but I think this one is one of my favorites

Considering it's of a plane that's five-of-a-kind (and only one flying), I'm pretty proud it came out that well.
(I also have a half-decent photo of a flying B-17 and the Helldiver in the same frame. Probably the rarest photo I own :))

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Spaced God posted:

I have a few more other pictures from today, but I think this one is one of my favorites

Considering it's of a plane that's five-of-a-kind (and only one flying), I'm pretty proud it came out that well.
(I also have a half-decent photo of a flying B-17 and the Helldiver in the same frame. Probably the rarest photo I own :))

So just to highlight how rare Helldivers are, even the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola (which has like at least one of everything associated with Naval Aviation) only has a Helldiver that is in pieces and still awaiting restoration. There's only two full-up in the US that I know of (the flying one from the CAF that Spaced God took a picture of and one at Udvar-Hazy, the other fully restored ones are outside the US).

So yeah, this is a really cool picture (nice picture Spaced God)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

So just to highlight how rare Helldivers are, even the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola (which has like at least one of everything associated with Naval Aviation) only has a Helldiver that is in pieces and still awaiting restoration. There's only two full-up in the US that I know of (the flying one from the CAF that Spaced God took a picture of and one at Udvar-Hazy, the other fully restored ones are outside the US).

So yeah, this is a really cool picture (nice picture Spaced God)

The Yanks Air Museum in Chino, CA is working on restoring another. I don't know if it's going to be a static display or flyable, though.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I recently changed jobs and United is specifically not one of our "preferred" airlines. That honor is reserved for Delta and American. I fly about 100k miles a year and have 1k status with UA.

I mostly fly out of RIC and CLE to LHR, Central Europe, Oslo, and Melbourne.

I'm considering doing a status match and switching to either Delta or AA. I'm the type that pays for the most expensive credit card they offer in order to get as many perks as possible including club access. Any suggestions on which I should consider?

Edit: about 75% of the travel is usually booked on the cheapest economy fare available, so 1/2 qualifying points or whatever on AA.

I was EXP on AA for a couple years and it was pretty nice. The merger with US was a bit rough on the benefits but elites whined enough that some of the more egregious things (particularly food quality) were rolled back. So far they aren't doing qualification dollars but I expect it to appear in a year or two once the merger is fully completed - but for now, qualification can be done for base miles or points, whichever is larger. 100,000 butt in seat miles in the cheapest fare buckets will get you EXP. You can also do a status challenge to get Platinum status pretty quickly. Also, the upgrade system is different than DL or UA (non-EXP has to 'pay' with 500-mile upgrade certificates, which you earn 4 for every 10,000 EQM, or buy - EXP get free upgrades). Admirals Clubs are pretty decent, though the ex-US ones are not quite as nice yet.

AA heavily relies on OneWorld partners for international travel but they have their own flights to major hubs like LHR (and have arranged things so there's frequent flights on either AA or BA). Down to Melbourne you'll probably end up on Qantas. If you're big into mile redemption, the partner awards remain a ridiculously good deal, even if AA's devalued miles for their own metal.

Delta has put a lot of money into upgrade their fleet hard product (seats, etc.) but SkyPesos are hard to redeem. I'm not as well versed with SkyTeam's network.

phongn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Charlie Victor Romeo is on Netflix streaming. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I hadn't noticed until just now.